• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

Industry News: Rumorpile: Apple Ramps Up Development On Car To Debut In 2019

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple is going forward on building their own vehicle. According to sources, the company recently gave the approval for the project after spending a year investigating the feasibility of it. Codenamed 'Titan', the team behind the vehicle will grow from 600 to around 1,800 people.

Not much is known about the vehicle except for that it will be electric and feature some sort of autonomous technologies. A fully autonomous vehicle isn't expected till later on. The report says Apple has set a 'target ship date for 2019.' Whether that means it will be launched or reaching a major milestone in 2019 is unknown.

Rumors about the Apple car have been flying around for a number of years. But this year has seen a number of people leaving Tesla and other jobs in the automotive industry to work for Apple, causing reports to intensify. Adding on this were reports from last month saying that officials from Apple met with officials from California’s Department of Motor Vehicles.

Source: Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required)

View full article

FAILURE, We do not need Apple or Google building cars. Autonomous garbage. Leave them to their software. They lack passion for auto's and only see it as a tool to get from A to B.

Guest Anon

My initial reaction: "Oh God." But if they're in it to innovate, I'm all for it. We have too many appliance builders, too many disposable car builders as it is today.

The thing is, though, the auto industry's probably the worst place for a company like that to get involved. The auto industry, despite the competition among the many manufacturers, simply evolves too slowly. And the field is pretty crowded as it is. (I expect new players will enter the picture in the next decade or so, but I also expect some serious consolidation). Plus, who's going to actually build their cars? Them? Or, as I fear, will they partner up with a Chinese manufacturer?

Now if they wanted to get into mass transit, I think that could be exciting. Of course that would be a dead end in this country... with this congress...

I used Uber recently, and while discussing some of the future offerings/services that Uber will provide with the driver.....I realized that in the next few years, things are going to change faster than at any other time in history for the transportation industry.  I think Apple will be innovating like a mofo, and buying out the Uber's of the world, or at least combining services/technologies.  I don't know the whole impact of all this, few do, but I assume it will be crazy quick how fast people will be on board.  So in 5-10years, we won't even recognize the world we live in.

Edited by Wings4Life

apple will get the Chinese to build them, and the whole cars thing will become much more about 'technology' than they even have become today.  The machinery that propels the car will become afterthoughts, or.......full electric (which I don't mind its just that long range and 10 minute charging would be the way to go if thats the case)

Cars used to mean freedom, if the tech giants get on board they will become a source of monitored tyranny

• Upvote 1

apple will get the Chinese to build them, and the whole cars thing will become much more about 'technology' than they even have become today.  The machinery that propels the car will become afterthoughts, or.......full electric (which I don't mind its just that long range and 10 minute charging would be the way to go if thats the case)

Cars used to mean freedom, if the tech giants get on board they will become a source of monitored tyranny

Another reason to hold onto your older cars to keep your freedom. No need for Big Brother monitoring your every move.

• Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      For a time, you could order an Audi A4 or A5 with a manual transmission at no-cost. But that option will be going away when the 2019 models begin arriving at dealers.
      Car and Driver reports that low demand for the option has Audi pulling off the option sheet. Audi points out that only five percent of U.S. buyers picked an A4 with a manual transmission. The news isn't that surprising as more automakers are dropping them due to low demand and automatic transmissions returning better fuel economy figures.
      If you really want to get your hands on an A4 or A5 manual, you might want to hurry to your nearest Audi dealer. Car and Driver says there is still a sizable amount in inventory.
      Source: Car and Driver

View full article
    • By William Maley
      For a time, you could order an Audi A4 or A5 with a manual transmission at no-cost. But that option will be going away when the 2019 models begin arriving at dealers.
      Car and Driver reports that low demand for the option has Audi pulling off the option sheet. Audi points out that only five percent of U.S. buyers picked an A4 with a manual transmission. The news isn't that surprising as more automakers are dropping them due to low demand and automatic transmissions returning better fuel economy figures.
      If you really want to get your hands on an A4 or A5 manual, you might want to hurry to your nearest Audi dealer. Car and Driver says there is still a sizable amount in inventory.
      Source: Car and Driver
    • By William Maley
      Last week, Tesla CEO Elon Musk revealed that Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) could help provide the necessary funding to make the company private. But a new report hints that the PIF could invest its money into a different electric automaker.
      Reuters has learned from sources that the PIF is in talks with Lucid Motors about a potential investment. The two have drawn up a term sheet where the PIF could invest more than $1 billion into Lucid Motors and become the majority stakeholder. One source adds that the first investment would only be for $500 million and that subsequent investments would only come if Lucid Motors is able to hit  certain production milestones
      The sources do caution that the talks may not result in a deal.
      Despite the PIF having $250 billion in assets, Reuters says the fund has already made a number of substantial investments into other things such as a $45 billion investment into a giant technology fund. This leaves them with limited funds, which makes the deal with Lucid more appealing. Banks have estimated that Tesla could need up to $72 billion if Tesla pays the $420 per share announced by Musk a few weeks ago. However, the price could drop if current shareholders keep their shares in the private company.
      Lucid Motors made a big splash in 2016 with the introduction of the Air. The model made some big promises such as having the interior space of a Mercedes-Benz S-Class and a max range of up to 400 miles on a charge. Lucid was planning to start production of the sedan this year in Arizona. But last year, the company pushed back production to 2019 as they needed to raise more funds. 
      Source: Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Last week, Tesla CEO Elon Musk revealed that Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) could help provide the necessary funding to make the company private. But a new report hints that the PIF could invest its money into a different electric automaker.
      Reuters has learned from sources that the PIF is in talks with Lucid Motors about a potential investment. The two have drawn up a term sheet where the PIF could invest more than $1 billion into Lucid Motors and become the majority stakeholder. One source adds that the first investment would only be for $500 million and that subsequent investments would only come if Lucid Motors is able to hit  certain production milestones
      The sources do caution that the talks may not result in a deal.
      Despite the PIF having $250 billion in assets, Reuters says the fund has already made a number of substantial investments into other things such as a $45 billion investment into a giant technology fund. This leaves them with limited funds, which makes the deal with Lucid more appealing. Banks have estimated that Tesla could need up to $72 billion if Tesla pays the $420 per share announced by Musk a few weeks ago. However, the price could drop if current shareholders keep their shares in the private company.
      Lucid Motors made a big splash in 2016 with the introduction of the Air. The model made some big promises such as having the interior space of a Mercedes-Benz S-Class and a max range of up to 400 miles on a charge. Lucid was planning to start production of the sedan this year in Arizona. But last year, the company pushed back production to 2019 as they needed to raise more funds. 
      Source: Reuters
  • My Clubs