oldshurst442

Beautiful Cars Appreciation Thread

Posted (edited)

Not a fan of chrome, whether on plastic or metal.  I prefer real aluminum or brushed metal.  Most manufacturers are pretty conservative with colour choices now on mainstream vehicles.  Lincoln and Genesis are offering some choice.

maxresdefault.jpg

2021-Genesis-GV80-detail-24.jpg

Edited by frogger
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brushed aluminium and brushed nickel as a decorative trim choice is just an evolution of chrome trimmed pieces. 

You see that in household appliances.  Chromed faucets are sooooo old fashioned nowadays. Brushed nickel and dark bronze faucets are what is in today...

Just like how black fridges and appliances were at the tail end of the 1980s and how stainless steel became hot and even that in 2020, stainless steel appliance are not so hot anymore. 

Carbon fibre interior trim pieces already hit that fever pitch and is already on the decline...

Fins on cars are sooooo ungodly cringey in today's world.  The jet aged themed taillights and exhausts that defined sooooo many 1950s and 1960s cars seem so childish today. 

There is nothing wrong with not being a fan of chrome.  I just wanted to put a little of perspective on this whole thing.  About not viewing past fads with today's eyes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Brushed aluminium and brushed nickel as a decorative trim choice is just an evolution of chrome trimmed pieces. 

You see that in household appliances.  Chromed faucets are sooooo old fashioned nowadays. Brushed nickel and dark bronze faucets are what is in today...

Just like how black fridges and appliances were at the tail end of the 1980s and how stainless steel became hot and even that in 2020, stainless steel appliance are not so hot anymore. 

Carbon fibre interior trim pieces already hit that fever pitch and is already on the decline...

Fins on cars are sooooo ungodly cringey in today's world.  The jet aged themed taillights and exhausts that defined sooooo many 1950s and 1960s cars seem so childish today. 

There is nothing wrong with not being a fan of chrome.  I just wanted to put a little of perspective on this whole thing.  About not viewing past fads with today's eyes.

Yet additional perspective is that some auto lines, specifically Cadillac is well known for their Vertical Tailights and Headlights and the Chevrolet headlights on the 2021 Escalade is just TERRIBLE and says Cheap to me. They should have stayed with the vertical headlights complementing the Vertical Tail Lights.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Yet additional perspective is that some auto lines, specifically Cadillac is well known for their Vertical Tailights and Headlights and the Chevrolet headlights on the 2021 Escalade is just TERRIBLE and says Cheap to me. They should have stayed with the vertical headlights complementing the Vertical Tail Lights.

I must concur.  The new Escalade front reminds me of the current XT4 and the current XT6.   The interior is what will sell the SUV for most people.

• Upvote 2

I like the '21 Escalade 'luxury' trim with the bright grillework. Cadillacs should be shiny.
The '90s monocromatic 'sport' version doesn't look great, IMO.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 4/23/2020 at 6:16 PM, balthazar said:

I like the '21 Escalade 'luxury' trim with the bright grille work. Cadillacs should be shiny.
The '90s monochromatic 'sport' version doesn't look great, IMO.

I know some like a monochromatic look which I believe the Sport package gives. I on the other hand would like a BLACK CHROME package. Shiny but understated. To me it looks very rich and says luxury without the huge traditional chrome bling look.

Posted (edited)

I'll do this in YouTube - the first two cars I went bonkers over were different animals ... the Pontiac Firebird and the Cutlass Supreme coupe, of roughly the same period.  I'd sketch them an awful lot.

I found a couple of these on YouTube ... beautiful.

1.) '75 Cutlass Supreme coupe - great color that year - swivel out buckets - crank windows (fine with me)

misses:  no dual body color sport mirrors, no gauge package when there's a console, black seat belts (didn't pop for the upcharge), whitewalls would have looked better, and these metallic rust ones looked better with white vinyl landau roofs

the price was way too much IMO (see windshield) but someone went for it

1.) '75 Cutlass Salon coupe (top of the line) - great color combo but landau roof should have been burgundy or silver, not black - crank windows (fine with me), gauge package comes with this trim level

misses:  black seat belts (would have expected color ones with this trim level), didn't like the exhaust note since that's not what a stock one with an intact exhaust system should sound like

sold ... price unknown ... this thing is a dream, a true icon of Americana at its best circa the bicentennial

Those were the days.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

To me a Cadillac with Black Chrome is Luxury!

image.png

Ill always do the muscle car version of the vehicle in question when it comes to the muscle car era.  

One thing the later Colonnade versions have it on the earlier ones is T-Tops.  I love them T-Tops.  One thing Id do to that 1973 Hurst is Id ditch the vinyl roof and Id very much do T-Tops.  

1973 Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds W30 455 V8 With Swivel Bucket Seats ...

Muscle-era survivor '73 Hurst/Olds based on Oldsmobile Cutlass S

I love a 1973 Grand Am too.  I just LOVE the rear.  From the rear quarter panels and on to the ass of the car.  

1973 Pontiac Grand Am | Pontiac grand am, Pontiac lemans, Pontiac cars

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The '70s era stuff was all around me growing up- I rejected them for older, better stuff.
Designed, fitted bumpers, detailed lights & trim. 'Full-flow' body design concept. God; GM pulled off some true modern art in the '60s - unsurpassed.

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 7.35.50 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/29/2020 at 9:50 PM, oldshurst442 said:

One thing the later Colonnade versions have it on the earlier ones is T-Tops.  I love them T-Tops.  

1973 Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds W30 455 V8 With Swivel Bucket Seats ...

Muscle-era survivor '73 Hurst/Olds based on Oldsmobile Cutlass S

I love a 1973 Grand Am too.  I just LOVE the rear.  From the rear quarter panels and on to the ass of the car.  

1973 Pontiac Grand Am | Pontiac grand am, Pontiac lemans, Pontiac cars

That opera window on that 1973/4 Olds is a real miss.  It looks like it belongs on an AMC Hornet.  The way that Gran Am was photographed looks svelte.  The strong taper doesn't look good on more "conservative" trims of LeMans of the same years.   I'm certainly not complaining about the concept, overall look, front grille, seating, and cool dashboard of that Grand Am you've posted.

Edited by trinacriabob

42 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

That opera window on that 1973/4 Olds is a real miss.  It looks like it belongs on an AMC Hornet.

Agreed; blame Hurst. The factory quarter window was well done:

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 3.07.17 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Hurst left it alone in 1974.

1974 OLDSMOBILE HURST PACE CAR

But I prefer the front and back end of the 1973 model Cutlass over all other Colonnade Cutlasses.   And yes, I too prefer the original Olds opera window, but I dont seem to mind the smaller, 1973 Hurst opera window.

And to be honest, its a much better opera window than what Oldsmobile ended up doing with it in the later years. At least in my opinion.  

1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - Pictures - CarGurus

I didnt know that Hurst did another in 1975.  No opera window Im observing...  And Im honestly thinking no opera window looks best. Of course with the T-Top!!!

1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass | Saratoga Auto Auction

On 7/3/2020 at 11:26 AM, Alanhocke said:

To me, the Ford f150 is a great car

F150.jpg

I love the F-150 in Raptor form myself!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Hurst left it alone in 1974.

But I prefer the front and back end of the 1973 model Cutlass over all other Colonnade Cutlasses.    

IMO, all the '73 GM mid sizers had the best rear styling of the '73-77 generation---'73 was the only year they had the tight rear bumpers before the '74 federal bumpers.  The '73 Olds and '73 Buick are probably my favorites of that generation.

• Upvote 1