Wings4Life(BANNED)

Ford planning Escape ST performance crossover?

Link:   http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/27/ford-escape-st-vignale-poll-report/

Ford is reportedly considering adding more high-end variants to the model line we know as the Escapeand which Europeans know as the Kuga. That could include a higher-end Vignale version for markets overseas. But if could also lead to an ST version as well.

The Blue Oval automaker previously limited its ST performance line to its mass-market hatchbacks, in the form of the Fiesta ST and Focus ST. But recently, the Fusion has been spotted running in a potential ST variant, and now Ford is said to be looking into a Kuga ST that could reach American showrooms as the Escape ST.

Speaking with Auto Express, Ford's European VP Roelant de Waard admitted there was room to take the Kuga/Escape upmarket. "With the maturing of the SUV segment increasingly we will see all derivatives come to that segment, and yes some are experimenting" with performance crossovers. For example, Nissan offers Nismo and Nismo RS versions of theJuke, and Mini offers the Countryman JCW. Meanwhile, Fiat is anticipated to soon roll out an Abarth version of the 500X, and Renaultsport is tipped to be preparing to go down the same road.

With all those compact hot-utes hitting the market, it'd be hard to imagine Ford sitting out for long. The current top engine option in the Escape is a 2.0-liter EcoBoost four with 240 horsepower and 270 pound-feet of torque on tap, so an ST version would need even more muscle – along with stiffer suspension, bigger brakes, more pronounced aero, and hopefully a manual transmission.

F, yes!

What kind f engine would we be talking about? I assume the 2.3. That's be great if it could be a 300/325 power train. But isn't it only like 285/305? I feel like a good ST would ask for a little more than 45hp/35tq. But maybe that's just me being greedy. Lol

Well, it would have to be 2.3L I guess, with power from similar Focus RS motor when available, and probably detuned slightly from 350hp.  

I like this idea.

You think they would make it quicker than the focus ST? Or even competitive with the Mustang EB in a straight line? I don't think it would be that quick. I'd absolutely love it, but I don't see it having 350hp.

It'd be quicker in a straight line. I'm pretty sure my fully loaded Escape weights ~3800lbs. The Focus ST is around 3300lbs. That makes the power to weight ratio considerably better in the Escape. It definitely would not be the canon carver the Focus ST is but it seems odd they'd upstage it with 350hp. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE it to be a 350hp car. It just doesn't see too realsitic. Also, Would they have to make a transmission/AWD system to hold that kind of power? From what I hear on te Escape forums is they think the auto 6spd is only good for around 300hp as it stands.

10.86lb/hp 3800lb, 350hp "Escape ST"

12.90lb/hp 3250b, 252hp Focus ST

Guest wings4life

It'd be quicker in a straight line. I'm pretty sure my fully loaded Escape weights ~3800lbs. The Focus ST is around 3300lbs. That makes the power to weight ratio considerably better in the Escape. It definitely would not be the canon carver the Focus ST is but it seems odd they'd upstage it with 350hp. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE it to be a 350hp car. It just doesn't see too realsitic. Also, Would they have to make a transmission/AWD system to hold that kind of power? From what I hear on te Escape forums is they think the auto 6spd is only good for around 300hp as it stands.

Well, I did say detuned from 350, somewhere in between the current MKC at 285 and the coming RS at 350.  Probably around 325 to have a performance edge.  But my point was really, that I doubt that any team would consider the need to be faster than the smaller, lighter ST Focus is all.  If Ford was smart, they would design it for the 95 percentile who simply seek utility combined with sportiness, rather than the 5 percentile who seek all out performance.

Wonder when they will do a Performance EV car. That would rock, a silent rocket that could just totally leave people with their mouth hanging open. :P

Guest wings4life

WTH, I don’t see my previous reply. Forgive me if it appears after this.

Anyway, a couple of corrections on the numbers cap.

First, weight of Focus seems to range from 2,935 to 3,055lbs.  The ST weight is 3,223lbs.  So a good chunk of that added weight for ST (bigger brakes, gears, structure, cooling, etc.) can be juxtaposed right onto a theoretical Escape ST, taking it’s weight to nearly 4,000lbs.

Also, I only hypothesized a ‘detuned’ RS motor power level, which would fall somewhere between the current MKC 2.3L GTDI value and the updated 2.3L….my guess around 330hp.

So running your power to weight numbers again yields,

12.12lb/hp from a 4000lb, 330hp "Escape ST"

12.90lb/hp from a 3250b, 252hp Focus ST

Much closer, and let’s not forget the huge penalty in drag co-efficient one has over the other, not to mention in handling as well.

Anyway, I think an ST is a great idea, if true.  But I don’t think many would shop it based on a few 1/10’s advantage over anything else, but rather, the combination of utility and sportiness.  

..and their bank accounts empty as well..

EV's are so damn expensive. There is no way I could justify spending 40k on an electric Focus.

Not sure how I feel about this.

Sounds cool, but for a family car?

Well, if there was a Trailblazer SS, why not a super fast four banger?

Guest wings4life

Actually, the current 2.0L Escape uses the Focus ST engine, in a vehicle that weighs about 700lbs more.  It feels pretty sprightly as is, but throwing another 50-70hp, will make it that much more fun.  And given the huge preference for CUV’s these days, it is wise to cater to those who do wish for a bit more fun combined with utility.  It puts the Sport into Utility, afaiac.

WTH, I don’t see my previous reply. Forgive me if it appears after this.

Anyway, a couple of corrections on the numbers cap.

First, weight of Focus seems to range from 2,935 to 3,055lbs.  The ST weight is 3,223lbs.  So a good chunk of that added weight for ST (bigger brakes, gears, structure, cooling, etc.) can be juxtaposed right onto a theoretical Escape ST, taking it’s weight to nearly 4,000lbs.

Also, I only hypothesized a ‘detuned’ RS motor power level, which would fall somewhere between the current MKC 2.3L GTDI value and the updated 2.3L….my guess around 330hp.

So running your power to weight numbers again yields,

12.12lb/hp from a 4000lb, 330hp "Escape ST"

12.90lb/hp from a 3250b, 252hp Focus ST

Much closer, and let’s not forget the huge penalty in drag co-efficient one has over the other, not to mention in handling as well.

Anyway, I think an ST is a great idea, if true.  But I don’t think many would shop it based on a few 1/10’s advantage over anything else, but rather, the combination of utility and sportiness.  

Now that makes more sense to me.

Now, do you think an Escape ST would be FWD or AWD? The weight I gave you was for AWD. That'd rock if it utilized the AWD system from the coming RS,

Oh, the Focus ST would eat the Escape around a corner but the way most drive is just accelerating aggressively..which is why I'd take the Escape as-is but with ~325hp! lol

I love te idea. It runs right in my wheelhouse for exactly what you said "combination of utility and sportiness".

• Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.