New Expedition Spotted

Wings4Life(BANNED)

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/30/2018-ford-expedition-spy-shots/

Ford's launching of the new aluminum-bodied F-150 stands to be a game-changer in its own right, but it's only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. The F-150's aluminum construction has already to a new Super Duty and soon to a new Raptor, but a new Expedition looks to be in the works, as well.

Tipped to debut alongside a new Lincoln Navigator sometime in 2017 as a 2018 model, the new Expedition is anticipated to borrow heavily from the F-150 on which it's based. Combine that with EcoBoost engines and the new Expedition, as large as it will be, stands to offer serious fuel economysavings over the outgoing model, and allow for more hauling capability in the process.

• Upvote 1

I think Ford has a good grasp on interior quality and even design for trucks and SUV's.  I love that their trucks keep a truck look, yet ooze plushness. I wonder if they will take some of that away for a softer, sedan-like look.  I kind of hope they don't.  Who want's their tough vehicles looking like their sedans.

2016-Ford-F-150-Limited-interior.jpg

16-f150-ltd-passsideviewint-mr-1.jpg

2016-Ford-Explorer-Platnium-interior.jpg

I think Ford will do fine over all as a Buick / Acure Competitor for Lincoln, but if they want real luxury, they will have to really change and improve. Right now Lincoln is no Cadillac / MB / BMW competitor.

But those are the top end interiors you get only when spending big bucks (as an aside, I'm not a big fan of the stuff that doesn't get changed when selecting this package). I'm interested in what the base models look like.

Exactly. It's real easy to show off the top of the line model that is a small percentage of overall sales. The base model will tell the tale.

But those are the top end interiors you get only when spending big bucks (as an aside, I'm not a big fan of the stuff that doesn't get changed when selecting this package). I'm interested in what the base models look like.

Very few buy base models and far more buy mid to high trim. 

And what is your point, as EVERYONE offers lame base and high trim.

Edited by Wings4Life

The highest trim levels are the slowest selling (most go with the mid levels models). Showing the base gives a better indication of how good the upper trim levels will look. It's real easy to cover up potentially cheap looking pieces with pretty colors.

The base models tell you certain things about switchgear and interior materials.

• Upvote 2

There is much more metal on an Expy body than an F-150, thus, I expect even more weight reduction over F-150. 

Dang, if the tired old model can match and even beat Tahoe in comparo's, it will be interesting to see what far more power, gears and less weight will do.

The base models tell you certain things about switchgear and interior materials.

Agreed, and Ford switch gear is very good.

There is much more metal on an Expy body than an F-150, thus, I expect even more weight reduction over F-150. 

Dang, if the tired old model can match and even beat Tahoe in comparo's, it will be interesting to see what far more power, gears and less weight will do.

Agreed, and Ford switch gear is very good.

Well, I've been in the new F150 in all trims, I will say, the mid level trims are lacking, but not against its foes. All 3 makes really SUCK when it comes to interior accouterments; but what do you want? You're buying a work truck after all.

Even though it may seem as the Platinum and Limited have less stitched pleather; there are gobs and gobs of Aluminum trim everywhere. It EXTENDS from the vents all the way down, there's a ton of it plastered on the centre console; and I quite like the LEGO, blocky look of the vents. They seem really well done, comparatively on RAM's and GM trucks the vents are just same old plastic cutouts with a silvery plastic as the surrounds.

I like more Aluminum vs a little more vinyl.

Any midlevel or above F150's interior (or RAM's or GM's) beats the crap out of any $h!ty midsize truck anyways.

• Upvote 1

I dunno man. The Canyonado isn't too shabby.

But, yes. The base models tell the tale, because with higher-end trim levels you just add to the basic package.

Based on my experience with the latest Ram and GM pickups I'm just going to say that they have a pretty good foundation to build on and leave it at that. It wouldn't be fair to comment on the latest Ford since I haven't spent any time in one. But it had better be a big jump in quality over their outgoing stuff.

The interior in my truck is exactly the way I want it.  It is well put together, simple and functional.  The current GM fullsize pickups and SUVs are the same way.  The information you need is presented to you in a clear, simple manner, in an appearance that does not distract from the work of driving.  Yet everything is there, there is nothing lacking.  Looking at the F-150 interior photo provided by the poster "wings4life" leaves me scratching my head in wonderment.  Why would anyone actually choose such bizarre complexity?  And Ford has used this basic theme for years in their trucks.  Very offputting.

• Upvote 1

I think Ford has a good grasp on interior quality and even design for trucks and SUV's.  I love that their trucks keep a truck look, yet ooze plushness. I wonder if they will take some of that away for a softer, sedan-like look.  I kind of hope they don't.  Who want's their tough vehicles looking like their sedans.

2016-Ford-F-150-Limited-interior.jpg

16-f150-ltd-passsideviewint-mr-1.jpg

2016-Ford-Explorer-Platnium-interior.jpg

What is the last platinum picture of, an auto or SUV rather than a truck? The top two are the traditional truck interiors I have seen on ford for the last forever years. I like the bottom dash, much better than the top two pictures.

The interior in my truck is exactly the way I want it.  It is well put together, simple and functional.  The current GM fullsize pickups and SUVs are the same way.  The information you need is presented to you in a clear, simple manner, in an appearance that does not distract from the work of driving.  Yet everything is there, there is nothing lacking.  Looking at the F-150 interior photo provided by the poster "wings4life" leaves me scratching my head in wonderment.  Why would anyone actually choose such bizarre complexity?  And Ford has used this basic theme for years in their trucks.  Very offputting.

Yes, that offset steering wheel is a real head shaker.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yet not one mention of the steering wheel placement. :banghead:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Last time I checked, the steering wheel is part of the interior.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Again, he made NO mention of the steering wheel and its placement. Why mention it otherwise?

Again, he made NO mention of the steering wheel and its placement. Why mention it otherwise?

I didn't know there was a Forum Rule that states in order for one to mention, another must speak of it first.

Thanks for pointing this Rule out Moderator surreal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh grow up and quit being so melodramatic about it. I simply pointed out that he made no mention of the steering wheel at all while talking about the interior. If you want to get all bent out of shape over a simple opinion, that's on you.

Edited by surreal1272