VIDEO: Ford GT Hits the Track

Wings4Life(BANNED)

I actually saw one of these a few days ago.. LOVED IT!

I also noticed the exhaust on the race version comes out in front of the rear wheel as opposed to out the back. Anybody know why?

Wonder if they want to use the exhaust to heat up the tires for better traction or is it to just evacuate the hot gas faster with a shorter exhaust pipe?

I also noticed the exhaust on the race version comes out in front of the rear wheel as opposed to out the back. Anybody know why?

Wonder if they want to use the exhaust to heat up the tires for better traction or is it to just evacuate the hot gas faster with a shorter exhaust pipe?

I would think once a few laps are on the tires they are hotter than they would PREFER so I'd think adding less heat to them would be ideal.

That is a good question about the exhaust path. I think it may actually be longer exiting out the front of the back wheels, instead of straight out the back. Perhaps it has to do with Cleanliness of air for other cars/drivers. I mean, these things are not exactly green, and if you are tailing a driver for hundreds of miles, you get all his exhaust fumes, as opposed to it spewing to the side.

When I ran karts for nearly an hour, my face would be black from all the exhaust and tire debri kicking up.That means I was inhaling that crap for nearly an hour.

Edited by Wings4Life

That is a good question about the exhaust path. I think it may actually be longer exiting out the front of the back wheels, instead of straight out the back. Perhaps it has to do with Cleanliness of air for other cars/drivers. I mean, these things are not exactly green, and if you are tailing a driver for hundreds of miles, you get all his exhaust fumes, as opposed to it spewing to the side.

When I ran karts for nearly an hour, my face would be black from all the exhaust and tire debri kicking up.That means I was inhaling that crap for nearly an hour.

That's what I was thinking too, that it was a longer path. I have to believe one way or another it is regulations. With it possibly being a longer path it could quiet them down a bit because there is actually a regulation on noise, as odd as that sounds. Buuuuuut watching the videos there are still two holes in the rear..and if they aren't exhaust I don't know what they are. What do you guys think?

Example.. Car was black flagged for being too loud just this past season. https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-incredible-glickenhaus-race-cars-were-black-flagged-at-vln-for-being-too-damn-loud/

Man, I always wanted to get into karts but it was a lot of money to jump into something like that. My dad didn't even have a truck at the time so in addition to the kart and everything a trailer would be a must.. My dad looked into it for a bit but realized it was just too much basically all at once.

Edited by ccap41

Boy, this was early 80’s stuff for me. My good friend was in it and I joined him, our club consisted of 4 of us teens with parent sponsors.  We ran 100cc, no body work and did enduro, long track stuff, about 1.5-2 mile tracks. Never raced the shorter sprint tracks.  Air cooled and crude was common back in that era, and we were around 28hp. Modern water cooled shifter Karts are awesome and fast as hell.  I lasted one season before I got a job and gave it up.  I filled on some tracks and we would run close to an hour.  It was brutal keeping your concentration that long, and my body would ache for days afterward.  LOL. I look back now and think I had more fun than I realized.  And yeah, I would have my shield up and my face would literally be black after a race.

Great sport that is growing too.

My 0ld bones could never handle the abuse now. lol

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Had some fast bikes in my day, and my crazy dream back in the late 80's was to run the Isle of Man TT during open road days, and emulate those super bike champs.  Never to to it.  I hear the death toll now is over 235 racers.

So glad I survived my youth, lol.

• Upvote 2

I've also wondered why. I've searched and yet to have found an answer to the racers exhaust location chance vs the street car.

But man, it sure sounds sweet

I've also wondered why. I've searched and yet to have found an answer to the racers exhaust location chance vs the street car.

I was scanning another site, found this link and may have found the reason for the exhaust relocation.

http://www.24h-lemans.com/wpphpFichiers/1/1/ressources/Pdf/2015/24-heures-du-mans/regulations/2015-technical-regulations-lm-gte.pdf

Page 16 states the exhaust must be between 10 cm and 45 cm above the ground. The street GT's exhaust location is definitely higher than 45 cm ( about 18" ). And with that crazy rear diffuser on the race car, there was no way to have it located exiting the rear at the heights required by the regulations.

• Upvote 2

I was scanning another site, found this link and may have found the reason for the exhaust relocation.

http://www.24h-lemans.com/wpphpFichiers/1/1/ressources/Pdf/2015/24-heures-du-mans/regulations/2015-technical-regulations-lm-gte.pdf

Page 16 states the exhaust must be between 10 cm and 45 cm above the ground. The street GT's exhaust location is definitely higher than 45 cm ( about 18" ). And with that crazy rear diffuser on the race car, there was no way to have it located exiting the rear at the heights required by the regulations.

Great work!

That sounds like it makes sense to me.

• Upvote 2

Great work!

That sounds like it makes sense to me.

It's still speculation and a shot in the dark at this point. But seems plausible.

• Upvote 2