Entire Ford F150 Lineup Getting the 10-Speed Transmission

Wings4Life(BANNED)

Link:

http://www.torquenews.com/106/entire-ford-f150-lineup-getting-10-speed-transmission

When the 2017 Ford SVT Raptor F150 was introduced at the 2015 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, there were some aspects that we had expected and some aspects that came as a surprise. As expected, the next generation Raptor applies the styling of the previous generation Raptor to the body of the new 2015 F150 and like the standard F150, the new Raptor has weight saving aluminum body panels. What we really didn’t see coming was the SVT-tuned 3.5L EcoBoost V6 mated to a new 10-speed automatic transmission rather than the throaty V8 and proven 6-speed transmission in the previous Raptor F150.

According to the folks at Ford-Trucks.com, the 10-speed automatic transmission from the new Raptor will soon be used throughout the entire F150 lineup, giving the standard half ton pickups some of the same advantages as the high performance SVT version.

• Upvote 1

Off road performance is the perfect vehicle.  Fun on road or off, especially off where there are no limits.  Great all year long, unlike pretty much every other performance vehicle. Functional to tow or haul.  And you get a gorgeous interior as well that is also roomy and comfortable too.

2017-Ford-F-150-SVT-Raptor-Interior.jpg

Edited by Wings4Life

I have seen several Raptors completely without camo now around Dearborn, including a black one like the pic below.  It looks great on the road.  The combination of much less weight, more power and gears will simply make this beast hard to beat.

2017-Raptor-Black-Rear.jpg

Holy $h!. That looks about PERFECT to me.

So with Ranger on the way (Bronco too perhaps???), many would love to see a Ranger Raptor like the one in this link:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/10/16/ford-performance-would-love-to-build-ranger-raptor/

Let's say we do get this.. What engine would this "little" guy get? Would the 2.7 be "enough" for this? I guess it could always be turned up to 10 like the 3.5 is.

PS. That little Ranger looks pretty sweet.

Edited by ccap41

That would be the 10-speed they're developing with GM, right?

I would assume so.

But will GM do their little trickle down like they're doing with the 8spd? I don't understand why they are doing that. I could see if it doesn't match up to the 4.3 to leave it out of that, for that reason. But if it can be used in the 5.3(obviously it can be) I don't know why they are keeping it for only LTZ and up trims. I'd think they would want to up the fleet MPG as much as they can as quick as they can considering it will fit all 5.3's.

I like the different take on fender vents on the front. 

Agreed.

I don't know, Ford has sooo many engines that could perform well in a Ranger.  2.7L makes sense I guess.

And you have to believe that if Ford is bringing it as a BOF truck, then it is pretty much a given that it would get an aluminum body.

I bet it would get the 2.7EB for the up level model and the Turbo 4 for the lower end model.  Does Ford even make a longitudinal non-turbo 4-cylinder these days?  If not, they wouldn't have a "budget" engine to put in the Ranger I think... or they'd have to come up with one.

The engine itself does not care about placement. Typically, new induction systems are developed per application anyway to align to different camshaft designs, and that is about all that would change. 

yeah, the block doesn't care, but things like starter location, transmission mounts, oil filter locations and the like tend to need to be re-routed.  It's not simply just turning the engine 90 degrees.  Many times it ends up being a fairly re-worked install. 

• Upvote 1

The engine itself does not care about placement. Typically, new induction systems are developed per application anyway to align to different camshaft designs, and that is about all that would change. 

yeah, the block doesn't care, but things like starter location, transmission mounts, oil filter locations and the like tend to need to be re-routed.  It's not simply just turning the engine 90 degrees.  Many times it ends up being a fairly re-worked install. 

Actually, it is pretty easy.

Starter motors don't matter as they are all in the same relative location, same as oil filters. The only thing that matters is transmission mounting holes, and if a new trans accommodates them, voila. 

Indeed. I remember the hassles GM had making the LS4 smallblock go transverse for the Impala SS.

Yeah, but that was more trying to shove 10 lbs of potatoes into a 5 lbs bag.   Going the other direction, switching the Northstar from FWD to RWD initially caused all sorts of headaches. 

Actually, it is pretty easy.

Starter motors don't matter as they are all in the same relative location, same as oil filters. The only thing that matters is transmission mounting holes, and if a new trans accommodates them, voila. 

As long as the new platform is designed for it.  There are some really bad transitions out there.... yeah the starter may fit, but just try to change it when it goes bad.....   or the utterly STUPID location of the oil filter on my CR-V... the oil drains out straight onto the cv joint boot. 

Indeed. I remember the hassles GM had making the LS4 smallblock go transverse for the Impala SS.

Yeah, but that was more trying to shove 10 lbs of potatoes into a 5 lbs bag.   Going the other direction, switching the Northstar from FWD to RWD initially caused all sorts of headaches.

Tell that to the guys who did the accessory drives :(

Rarely is it difficult to switch from E/W to N/S.....the complexity comes mostly going the other direction.

If Northstar had problems, then they are pretty unique or rare. But nothing that can't be modified for sure.

The northstar is just a big motor externally and there wasn't a lot of room to move things around when moving to the narrower Sigma platform.  It also has belts on both ends of the block... not a problem in FWD, but changing the back one on the rwd models.... 

Tell that to the guys who did the accessory drives :(

It was just too big for the space they were trying to fit it in.   The 3.4 DOHC V6 was equally too big for the W-bodies.  The alternators were on the bottom of the engine and overheated and failed regularly. I owned a Cutlass Supreme Convertible 3.4 DOHC... it was a labor of love and GM Goodwrench Warranties.

Designing an all new 8 speed, only to be replaced by a 10 speed within a year or so.

Man, somebody needs to remind GM that profit and shareholder value are Job One.

They are spending like a drunken sailor.

Risk vs Reward.

Look it up, Mary B.

Edited by Wings4Life

It was the length of the engine that caused grief in the case of the LS4, definitely. Vee angle and weight wise it matched up well with the old iron 3.8. I remember the first time I saw an LS4 hanging on the rack in Oshawa. I was horrified at the thought of marrying it to the chassis :P

Edited by Drew Dowdell

Designing an all new 8 speed, only to be replaced by a 10 speed within a year or so.

Man, somebody needs to remind GM that profit and shareholder value are Job One.

They are spending like a drunken sailor.

Risk vs Reward.

The 8-Speed was a shelved project that came back after the BK, most of the money had already been spent, so why waste it?

Plus, we don't know what the performance characteristics of the 10-speed are just yet.  Yes it may have more gears, but will it shift as fast etc etc....

• Upvote 2