Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Tokyo Motor Show: Subaru WRX STI S207 Is A Limited Affair In Japan

Subaru is keeping some of their best performance work in Japan as evidenced by the introduction of the WRX STI S207.

The team at Subaru Tecnica International starts with a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder found in the WRX - not the turbo 2.5L used in the STI. With some new upgrades, the engine now produces 323 horsepower and 318 pound-feet of torque. Aside from the increase in power, the S207 also gets a number of changes to the chassis and suspension. The front suspension is now adjustable, along with a new flexible strut-tower bar, intake ducting, and pillow-ball-bushing rear suspension links. A set of 19-inch wheels and a Brembo braking system finish off the vehicle.

Now only 400 of the WRX STI S207 models will be built and the order books in Japan are now open. Out of those 400, 200 of them will be equipped with the NBR Challenge Package to celebrate the company's class win in 2015 Nürburgring 24 Hours. It adds a set of new wheels, carbon fiber spoiler, an Ultrasuede-wrapped steering wheel, and red seatbelts. A hundred of these models will come in a special yellow exterior color.

Source: Subaru

Press Release is on Page 2

STI Releases “S207” Limited-Edition “WRX STI” in Japan

Tokyo, October 28, 2015 – Subaru Tecnica International (STI),*1 the motorsports division of Fuji Heavy Industries, will launch a limited-edition model based on the “WRX STI” on December 1, 2015. Just 400 units of the model, dubbed the “S207”, will be available.
Taking the WRX STI as its base, this complete car from STI features exclusive engine and suspension tuning as well as distinctive interior and exterior design. Embracing the STI concept of offering the ultimate in road driving, the S207 stands at the pinnacle of the STI complete car lineup and aims to be the world’s most enjoyable vehicle, providing a feel-good experience to all those who travel in it regardless of road conditions and enhancing driver skill.

Special engine tuning boosts maximum power output to 328 PS. Handling is enhanced by a quick steering-gear ratio of 11:1, the addition of original STI components including a flexible tower bar, DampMatic® II front suspension with adjustable damping (a first for a Japanese automaker), and front-rear Active Torque Vectoring, all of which combine to achieve a strong yet flexible ride and sharp cornering. Driving performance has also been enhanced with Brembo 6-pot brakes in front and 4-pot brakes at the rear, both featuring monoblock opposed-piston brake calipers and drilled rotors (2-piece type in front); specially designed 255/35R19 tires; and an exclusive large front spoiler. Special design elements serve to heighten driver anticipation and the joy of ownership, from the rear-bumper air outlet on the exterior to exclusive STI-spec Recaro front bucket seats and customized sports instruments on the interior.

Evoking the spirit of the Nurburgring 24-Hour Race, where the WRX STI continues to vie for honors, an “NBR Challenge Package” is also available (limited to 200 units), featuring an exclusive dry carbon rear spoiler and an ornament commemorating Subaru’s victory in the SP3T class*2 in the 2015 Nurburgring 24-Hour Race.

The S207 is available in three body colors: WR Blue Pearl, Crystal White Pearl, and Crystal Black Silica. Additionally, a 100-unit limited run of the “NBR Challenge Package Yellow Edition” in vivid Sunrise Yellow will be on offer as a special model.

The S207 must be ordered by March 6, 2016,*3 and sales are limited to 400 units.

S207 Main Features
Suspension / Mechanism

• Exclusive STI-tuned Bilstein front struts (DampMatic® II, inverted-type) and coil springs
  • Exclusive STI-tuned Bilstein rear dampers and coil springs
  • STI-designed BBS 19-inch × 8 1/2J forged aluminum wheels (silver)
  • Exclusive 255/35R19 92Y tires (Dunlop Sport Maxx RT)
  • STI-designed flexible tower bar, front
  • STI-designed flexible draw stiffener, front
  • STI-designed support front kit
  • STI-designed flexible support subframe, rear
  • STI-designed pillow ball bush rear suspension link (front and rear lateral links inside)
  • STI-designed Brembo front monoblock opposed-piston 6-pot brake calipers (silver
  • coated with STI logo) with STI-designed Brembo 18-inch 2-piece drilled disk rotors
  • STI-designed Brembo rear monoblock opposed-piston 4-pot brake calipers (silver coated
  • with STI logo) with STI-designed Brembo 18-inch drilled disk rotors
  • Exclusive high-output balanced engine
  • Exclusive engine control unit (ECU)
  • Exclusive twin scroll ball bearing turbocharger
  • Exclusive performance muffler with lowered back pressure (featuring STI logo) teamed
  • with exclusive rear exhaust pipe
  • STI-designed strengthened silicon intake duct
  • Exclusive quick-ratio steering gearbox (11:1)
  • Exclusive Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) system
  • Exclusive Active Torque Vectoring system
  • STI-designed low-pressure-drop air cleaner element
  • STI Performance Oil (Motul 5W-40)

Controls / Instrument Panel / Warning Lights

• Exclusive luminescent instruments (with multi-information display and STI logo)
  • Exclusive multifunctional display
  • Central instrument panel visor (covered in silver-stitched leather-finish material)
  • Exclusive leather-wrapped steering wheel (highly tactile leather, chrome bezel, metallic
  • finisher, silver stitching)
  • STI-designed push-type engine switch (red with STI logo)
  • STI-designed leather-wrapped shift knob (with STI logo)

Audio

• 8 speakers (4 front, 2 rear, 2 in instrument panel)
  • Black roof antenna (shark fin type)

Interior

• Exclusive STI-spec Recaro front bucket seats (leather [black semi-aniline finish on inside of main and side panels, silver stitching and accents] embossed with STI logo and equipped with seat heating and supplemental restraint system side airbags)
  • Rear seats : black leather with silver stitching and accents
  • Exclusive instrument panel (red with S207 logo)
  • Silver stitching on door trims
  • Exclusive side sill plates (silver with S207 logo)
  • Exclusive serial-number plate (console)

Exterior

• Exclusive mesh-type front grille (cherry-red stripe with S207 ornament)
  • Exclusive large front under-spoiler
  • Black side garnish with STI emblem
  • Exclusive metallic side sill moldings
  • Exclusive rear bumper (cherry-red stripe with air outlet grille)
  • S207 rear ornament

NBR Challenge Package: Exclusive Equipment

• Exclusive Ultrasuede-wrapped steering wheel (with silver center marking)
  • Exclusive red seatbelts
  • Exclusive emblem (rear)
  • STI-designed BBS 19-inch × 8 1/2J forged aluminum wheels (black)
  • Exclusive dry carbon rear spoiler (with S207 logo)

NBR Challenge Package Yellow Edition: Exclusive Equipment

• Black door mirrors
  • Exclusive yellow side sill plates with S207 logo
  • Exclusive black side sill moldings

View full article

On 10/31/2015 at 1:16 AM, daves87rs said:

Looks and sounds quite nice!

Agreed!

On 10/31/2015 at 8:07 PM, oldshurst442 said:

This engine and powertrain  should find itself in the BRZ.

I would love that, actually.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      While the Trump administration is still deciding whether or not to put tariffs on imported vehicles, certain automakers are bracing for the worst.
      During a briefing in Tokyo, Subaru is predicting a "big impact" if the U.S. does put tariffs into place.
      “It’s a fact that there would be a big impact from a U.S. tariff increase. We’re studying what the impact might be but there are too many unknowns at this point, so we want to refrain from giving a specific figure,” said Toshiaki Okada, Subaru's Chief Financial Officer.
      Of the 670,900 vehicles it sold in the U.S. through the year that ended in March, about half were imported, including the Forester. The rest of the vehicles - Legacy,  Outback, and Ascent - are built in Indiana.
      According to data gathered by Bloomberg, Subaru would be the hardest hit by tariffs as over 67 percent of their revenues from North America. This is more than Honda (52.5 percent), Nissan (48.9 percent), and Toyota (35.2 percent).
      Source: Bloomberg

View full article
    • By William Maley
      While the Trump administration is still deciding whether or not to put tariffs on imported vehicles, certain automakers are bracing for the worst.
      During a briefing in Tokyo, Subaru is predicting a "big impact" if the U.S. does put tariffs into place.
      “It’s a fact that there would be a big impact from a U.S. tariff increase. We’re studying what the impact might be but there are too many unknowns at this point, so we want to refrain from giving a specific figure,” said Toshiaki Okada, Subaru's Chief Financial Officer.
      Of the 670,900 vehicles it sold in the U.S. through the year that ended in March, about half were imported, including the Forester. The rest of the vehicles - Legacy,  Outback, and Ascent - are built in Indiana.
      According to data gathered by Bloomberg, Subaru would be the hardest hit by tariffs as over 67 percent of their revenues from North America. This is more than Honda (52.5 percent), Nissan (48.9 percent), and Toyota (35.2 percent).
      Source: Bloomberg
    • By William Maley
      The 2018 Subaru Legacy finds itself in a difficult spot. Like other midsize sedans, the Legacy has been seeing its sales fall down as more buyers are trending towards trucks and utility vehicles. But Subaru is trying to stop the bleeding somewhat by introducing an updated Legacy with various improvements to the exterior and mechanical bits. Is it enough?
      Compared to the last Legacy I drove in 2015, the 2018 model has some minor changes. The front now comes with a wider grille, updated design for the headlights, and a new bumper. The 2.5i Sport adds blacked-out trim, fog lights, and a set of 18-inch wheels with painted inserts. This helps makes the very plain design stand-out slightly more. Subaru’s safe approach to design continues inside. There are only a couple of changes like a new steering wheel and updated controls for the climate system. While it lacks in overall excitement, the Legacy’s earns top marks in overall usability as controls are easy to find and reach. Material quality sees an improvement as Subaru has added more soft-touch plastics throughout. The Legacy’s interior feels quite spacious thanks in part to a large glass area and thin roof pillars. Those sitting in the front will find the seats to be a little too firm, but they do provide an excellent amount of support for any trip. The back seat has more than enough legroom for tall passengers. The same cannot be said for headroom as those over six-feet will find their heads touching the liner. Open up the trunk to find 15 cubic feet of space, slightly smaller than the Hyundai Sonata I reviewed a few weeks back. My Sport tester came with an 8-inch touchscreen featuring Subaru’s Starlink infotainment system. The system gains an upgraded processor to address complaints of Starlink being somewhat slow. It makes a big difference as the system starts up much faster and is more responsive when going to different functions. The system also earns points for being easy to use with large touchscreen tiles and shortcut buttons on either side. I did have an issue of Starlink not recognizing my iPhone 7 Plus. The system saw something was plugged into the USB port, but couldn’t figure out what it was. It took a reset of my phone and restarting the vehicle before it would work. After this, Starlink had no issues finding my phone and bringing up the CarPlay interface. Under the hood is a 2.5L boxer-four producing 175 horsepower and 174 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with Subaru’s Lineartronic CVT and Symmetrical all-wheel drive. Around town, the engine is very responsive and gets up to speed a decent clip. On the highway, the 2.5 struggles to get up to speed at a decent clip. A lot of the slowness can be attributed to the Legacy’s weight. My 2.5i Sport tips the scales at 3,538 pounds. This is 143 pounds heavier than a 2018 Toyota Camry XSE four-cylinder that I recently drove. The CVT Subaru uses is one of the best in the business. It doesn’t have the rubber-band issue - engine RPMs rise at a quick rate before falling during acceleration - and has been calibrated to have ‘steps’ to mimic a regular six-speed automatic. EPA fuel economy figures for the Legacy 2.5i are 25 City/34 Highway/29 Combined. I saw an average of 28.2 mpg on a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. Despite this model being badged as a ‘Sport’, the Legacy doesn’t fully live up to this. There is a fair amount body lean when cornering and the steering is a bit too light in terms of weight. At least the AWD system provides tenacious grip to keep you on the road. You would be forgiven if you thought the Legacy was a luxury sedan due to its ride quality. Most bumps and imperfections are soaked up by the suspension. This comes down to a new set of dampers being fitted for 2018. Another improvement comes in the form of noise isolation. Subaru has added more sound-insulating material and acoustic glass for the 2018 model. The end result is barely any tire of wind noise coming inside. Some engine whine does come inside during hard acceleration. Subaru still leads the pack when it comes to active safety. The optional EyeSight driver-assist suite uses stereo cameras to see the road ahead and feed that data to the adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, lane keep assist, and pre-collision braking systems. The adaptive cruise control system is one of the best as the system is able to adjust the speed and distance in a very smooth manner whenever the system detects a vehicle in front.  The 2.5i Sport begins at $26,345. My tester came equipped with an option package that included the EyeSight suite, Blind-Spot Monitoring, Rear Active Braking, and Navigation for $2,095. That brings the as-tested price to $29,300. Taking into consideration the long list of standard equipment and the sporty touches, the Sport offers a lot of value. Subaru’s changes to the 2018 Legacy help improve what we would consider being a competent midsize sedan. There lies the problem with the Legacy. Unlike other manufacturers that have stepped their efforts in terms of design, features, and other elements to try and draw people back to midsize sedans, Subaru just did the basics and didn’t bring forth something compelling. Previously, you could argue that all-wheel drive was the Legacy’s trump card. But considering how many crossovers have that as an option, it just doesn’t work anymore. Subaru better have something special for the next-generation model due out in 2020 or we might have another casualty. Disclaimer: Subaru Provided the Legacy, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Subaru
      Model: Legacy
      Trim: 2.5i Sport
      Engine: 2.5L DOHC Boxer-Four
      Driveline: CVT, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 175 @ 5,800
      Torque @ RPM: 174 @ 4,000
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 25/34/29
      Curb Weight: 3,538 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Lafayette, Indiana
      Base Price: $26,345
      As Tested Price: $29,300 (Includes $860.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      EyeSight + Blind Spot Monitoring + Reverse Automatic Braking + High Beam Assist + Navigation - $2,095

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The 2018 Subaru Legacy finds itself in a difficult spot. Like other midsize sedans, the Legacy has been seeing its sales fall down as more buyers are trending towards trucks and utility vehicles. But Subaru is trying to stop the bleeding somewhat by introducing an updated Legacy with various improvements to the exterior and mechanical bits. Is it enough?
      Compared to the last Legacy I drove in 2015, the 2018 model has some minor changes. The front now comes with a wider grille, updated design for the headlights, and a new bumper. The 2.5i Sport adds blacked-out trim, fog lights, and a set of 18-inch wheels with painted inserts. This helps makes the very plain design stand-out slightly more. Subaru’s safe approach to design continues inside. There are only a couple of changes like a new steering wheel and updated controls for the climate system. While it lacks in overall excitement, the Legacy’s earns top marks in overall usability as controls are easy to find and reach. Material quality sees an improvement as Subaru has added more soft-touch plastics throughout. The Legacy’s interior feels quite spacious thanks in part to a large glass area and thin roof pillars. Those sitting in the front will find the seats to be a little too firm, but they do provide an excellent amount of support for any trip. The back seat has more than enough legroom for tall passengers. The same cannot be said for headroom as those over six-feet will find their heads touching the liner. Open up the trunk to find 15 cubic feet of space, slightly smaller than the Hyundai Sonata I reviewed a few weeks back. My Sport tester came with an 8-inch touchscreen featuring Subaru’s Starlink infotainment system. The system gains an upgraded processor to address complaints of Starlink being somewhat slow. It makes a big difference as the system starts up much faster and is more responsive when going to different functions. The system also earns points for being easy to use with large touchscreen tiles and shortcut buttons on either side. I did have an issue of Starlink not recognizing my iPhone 7 Plus. The system saw something was plugged into the USB port, but couldn’t figure out what it was. It took a reset of my phone and restarting the vehicle before it would work. After this, Starlink had no issues finding my phone and bringing up the CarPlay interface. Under the hood is a 2.5L boxer-four producing 175 horsepower and 174 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with Subaru’s Lineartronic CVT and Symmetrical all-wheel drive. Around town, the engine is very responsive and gets up to speed a decent clip. On the highway, the 2.5 struggles to get up to speed at a decent clip. A lot of the slowness can be attributed to the Legacy’s weight. My 2.5i Sport tips the scales at 3,538 pounds. This is 143 pounds heavier than a 2018 Toyota Camry XSE four-cylinder that I recently drove. The CVT Subaru uses is one of the best in the business. It doesn’t have the rubber-band issue - engine RPMs rise at a quick rate before falling during acceleration - and has been calibrated to have ‘steps’ to mimic a regular six-speed automatic. EPA fuel economy figures for the Legacy 2.5i are 25 City/34 Highway/29 Combined. I saw an average of 28.2 mpg on a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. Despite this model being badged as a ‘Sport’, the Legacy doesn’t fully live up to this. There is a fair amount body lean when cornering and the steering is a bit too light in terms of weight. At least the AWD system provides tenacious grip to keep you on the road. You would be forgiven if you thought the Legacy was a luxury sedan due to its ride quality. Most bumps and imperfections are soaked up by the suspension. This comes down to a new set of dampers being fitted for 2018. Another improvement comes in the form of noise isolation. Subaru has added more sound-insulating material and acoustic glass for the 2018 model. The end result is barely any tire of wind noise coming inside. Some engine whine does come inside during hard acceleration. Subaru still leads the pack when it comes to active safety. The optional EyeSight driver-assist suite uses stereo cameras to see the road ahead and feed that data to the adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, lane keep assist, and pre-collision braking systems. The adaptive cruise control system is one of the best as the system is able to adjust the speed and distance in a very smooth manner whenever the system detects a vehicle in front.  The 2.5i Sport begins at $26,345. My tester came equipped with an option package that included the EyeSight suite, Blind-Spot Monitoring, Rear Active Braking, and Navigation for $2,095. That brings the as-tested price to $29,300. Taking into consideration the long list of standard equipment and the sporty touches, the Sport offers a lot of value. Subaru’s changes to the 2018 Legacy help improve what we would consider being a competent midsize sedan. There lies the problem with the Legacy. Unlike other manufacturers that have stepped their efforts in terms of design, features, and other elements to try and draw people back to midsize sedans, Subaru just did the basics and didn’t bring forth something compelling. Previously, you could argue that all-wheel drive was the Legacy’s trump card. But considering how many crossovers have that as an option, it just doesn’t work anymore. Subaru better have something special for the next-generation model due out in 2020 or we might have another casualty. Disclaimer: Subaru Provided the Legacy, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Subaru
      Model: Legacy
      Trim: 2.5i Sport
      Engine: 2.5L DOHC Boxer-Four
      Driveline: CVT, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 175 @ 5,800
      Torque @ RPM: 174 @ 4,000
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 25/34/29
      Curb Weight: 3,538 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Lafayette, Indiana
      Base Price: $26,345
      As Tested Price: $29,300 (Includes $860.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      EyeSight + Blind Spot Monitoring + Reverse Automatic Braking + High Beam Assist + Navigation - $2,095
    • By William Maley
      Subaru has been on a roll in the U.S. with 79 months of steady month-over-month growth. But Subaru wants to spread that success to other markets and has a new five-year to try an achieve this.
      Today in Tokyo, Newly appointed Subaru President Tomomi Nakamura unveiled the plan known as STEP - speed, trust, engagement, and peace of mind.
      "The automotive industry is now in a tumultuous time. Subaru’s fast growth in recent years has come to highlight our challenges. The question is how we, as a small-scale company, will be able to survive in this big-changing area," said Nakamura.
      Subaru wants to increase global sales from the 1.1 million vehicles it expects to sell in the current fiscal year to 1.3 million vehicles in the fiscal year on March 31, 2026. To do this, Subaru is planning to launch a number of new products including a hybrid and a "global strategic SUV" in the early 2020s. Furthermore, Subaru will evolving their "Dynamic X Solid design language into a "bolder" expression" and "enhancing sporty models."
      On the technology front, Subaru is planning to offer Level 2 autonomous capability (i.e. Cadillac Super Cruise and Tesla's Autopilot) around 2020 and higher levels by 2024. It is also planning to offer some sort of connectivity in "80 percent of new vehicles in major markets" by 2022.
      STEP will also be focusing on regaining trust in Subaru's home market. Last year, Subaru admitted that it had uncertified workers carrying out tests on new cars for Japan for decades. Early this year, the scandal got worse as Subaru revealed that inspectors falsified fuel economy and emission data. It led Japan's transportation ministry to reprimand Subaru and 417,288 vehicles to be recalled in the country.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
  • My Clubs