GT350R wins R&T Performance Car of the Year

Wings4Life(BANNED)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a27194/road-track-2016-performance-car-of-the-year/

"Let me explain. The only way the team at Ford Performance could get 526 hp from 5.2 liters—the fabled 100 hp per liter and then some—was to reengineer the whole thing into a bit of an insane race motor. Flat-plane crankshaft. So I open the throttle, following Webster in his beloved Ferrari up a series of sharp hillside hairpins that seem designed to test second-gear acceleration and broken-asphalt traction at the same time, and the moment the tach hits about five grand, I hear The Sound.

I firmly believe that when human civilization finally collapses and our descendants are nothing but hipster-bearded cavemen on a quest for fire, stories of The Sound will still be told every night, to frighten children and preserve all that is worth preserving of Western civilization. From generation to generation. "What an engine! What a noise!" says Chilton, in much the same way that human beings will ten, twenty, fifty thousand years from now."

"It has soul. You can't help but love it. Like the '12–'13 Boss 302 but just that much better. Is there a car here that punches more above its weight than the GT350R?" Part of it is due to suspension setup. The high negative camber really pays off on track. I expected that. What I did not expect was the way the light flywheel and carbon-fiber wheels conspire to make the car feel inertia-free in a straight line. It seems to violate the laws of physics. Bowman: "This and the Viper are the cars that make you want to be a better driver."

"AROUND NCM MOTORSPORTS PARK, the Ford Shelby GT350R feels very nearly as special as the Viper ACR. It has the same single-minded focus on high-speed balance and usable performance, and if it sometimes feels a bit like a taxicab compared with the Viper, it makes up for that with a simply magical V-8 that brings the caviar thrills of 8250-rpm performance to a beer-and-burgers demographic. If you could summon some sort of Lovecraftian dark magic to combine the best parts of the other seven cars in this test—the Bentley's on-road poise, the Cadillac's vivacious chassis, the Merc's bluff-nosed retro charm, the Cayman's accessible limits, the Ferrari's auditory drama, the Corvette's wide-hipped machismo, and the Viper's sense of purpose—then what would appear in the swirling mists would be, not Cthulhu the Great Old One, but Shelby the Baddest Mustang. Our winner by a runaway vote, the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R is, quite deservedly, the Road & Track 2016 Performance Car of the Year."

• Upvote 1

Very similar numbers to the old Z/28. Accessible performance on backroads and the racetrack. It appears that on the third attempt the S550 crew has produced a truly worthy performance car. That being said, the temperature issues show that it's got to be monitored as closely as the Z06, so we will have to see how that plays out.

Next up: see how it does against the Zeta Z/28 in that comparo about to break cover.

• Downvote 1

This,

"Our winner by a runaway vote, the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R is, quite deservedly, the Road & Track 2016 Performance Car of the Year."

Is worthy of a new sig  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 

Hey Wings...like MY new sig?

Zakynthos.

My dad's daddy (grand pa)  came  from there.

My momma from Kephalonia...

I think its cool, my new sig...blue water where the sun still shines...and amazing orange sunset...and beautiful Navagio Beach dividing the contrast...

This,

"Our winner by a runaway vote, the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R is, quite deservedly, the Road & Track 2016 Performance Car of the Year."

Zakynthos.

I think its cool, my new sig...blue water where the sun still shines...and amazing orange sunset...and beautiful Navagio Beach dividing the contrast...

Oh I forgot to comment...about the Mustang...Id buy one regardless of what R&D or MT or C&D says...or Pobst or Ben Collins say...

Pobst says the Viper is crap compared to ITS competition...who the eff cares what HE says...its what I like that counts...and this Mustang GT350  "R" or no "R" is one awesome ride! 

Kinda like Zakynthos....many will prefer Hawaii and Maui...others will prefer the French Polynesian Islands or Les Seychelles or even the Caribbean ...I more into Greece and Greek beaches...something about the Mediterranean that appeals to me.  Something about that GT350...calls to me like Calypso did with Odysseus.

(nice metaphor huh? Calypso....Greek temptress that kept Odysseus captive for 7 years...Calypso music...Jamaica...Caribbean...Odysseus is from Ithaca....Ithaca is thought to be Kephalonia and Ithaci together....Zakynthos is the neighboring island...)

Cool story if I may say so myself!

I am really proud of Ford here.  It really is not just about the numbers, clearly, as cars costing twice and thrice threw down better numbers.  But it's about the total emotional connection with the driver.  Which one puts the biggest grin on the face of the owner, and gauging how much they talked up this motor and the sounds it makes, clearly explains part of that emotional connection.

Excellence in execution, of course, but more succinctly, Excellence in Execution of Customer Expectations and Emotion.

Reaching farther.

• Upvote 1

This,

Zakynthos.

Love that pic olds.  I have some incredible pics from Greece on my phone that when I show people, they think I got it from google. Until I show them the family.  

• Upvote 1

This,

Zakynthos.

Love that pic olds.  I have some incredible pics from Greece on my phone that when I show people, they think I got it from google. Until I show them the family.  

Me too.

There are some famous and classic pics from Santorini and from the Parthenon that I actually replicated to a tee when I went on my honeymoon.

Greece is incredible.

Speaking of incredible. Of all the famous special edition Mustangs from the past, I think the 2015/2016 GT350 and GT350R will be have its place in history.

It may not be the fastest ship ever created, but Ill tell you...all of this  Mustang's hardware and software blend excellently together to create what many cars lack today...SOUL....yes cars have soul.

1987 Buick GNX (take the same engine and improve on it and dump it on a 1989 Trans Am...and it DOES NOT have the same soul as that GNX)

Two cars as an example....there is something about this Mustang...

OK...PR video...but one cannot deny its goose bump inducing...

I am really proud of Ford here.  It really is not just about the numbers, clearly, as cars costing twice and thrice threw down better numbers.  But it's about the total emotional connection with the driver.  Which one puts the biggest grin on the face of the owner, and gauging how much they talked up this motor and the sounds it makes, clearly explains part of that emotional connection.

Excellence in execution, of course, but more succinctly, Excellence in Execution of Customer Expectations and Emotion.

Reaching farther.

As I said previously, that's all well and good. But I would have preferred to see that effort on their mass-market efforts as well.

Still, it's a start.

Sales volumes and Performance Car of the Year awards, is enough for me.

If you're willing to settle for only one of each I think we have isolated Ford's problem. The Camaro has multiple examples of both.

Excellence of Execution-the fruit of ambition.

Adequacy of Execution-the result of following.

Edited by El Kabong
  • Upvote 1

Sales volumes and Performance Car of the Year awards, is enough for me.

If you're willing to settle for only one of each I think we have isolated Ford's problem. The Camaro has multiple examples of both.

Excellence of Execution-the fruit of ambition.

Adequacy of Execution-the result of following.

Of course sales volumes have only mattered in the last year, as opposed to the previous five. I'll give you one guess as to why.

• Upvote 1

Sales success is a direct correlation to emotional connection in vehicles like this, as per my previous comment.  No question about it.

So, do you have anything to contribute surreal, or is it business as usual with you?

Let me continue the topic, since you rarely do.....

From edmunds:

"You see, when flat out, this most special Mustang produces an unholy, pants-ripping yowl that pummels its way down your ear canal, past your eardrums and straight into your soul. The flat-plane crank in the new 5.2-liter V8 makes it both velvety-smooth and wicked efficient. It snorts up cannonballs on overrun and barks like a pissed Doberman between shifts. And even at 7,500 rpm there's a pile of meaningful revs left to unload."

And that last paragraph echoed the words I have known all along, that there remains untapped performance in this engine, because people are either afraid to spin this engine to it's screaming redline, or just not in the habit, given lesser motors.    Regardless, back to my point....Mustang delivers on emotion, proven by sales and trophies.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Look. I said nice things about the car. It is a nice car. But let's not kid ourselves: it exists solely because the Zeta Z/28 did first.

I cannot fathom all the excitement for a (already modded just for this application) one year-old unibody with a brand-new, purpose-built engine that can only match the numbers GM was able to get with a chassis and engine that are now out of production, and not exactly spring chickens when they were first brought together in, what, 2011?

I guess I just have higher standards. Thankfully, GM is usually up to meeting them.

Edited by El Kabong

Sales success is a direct correlation to emotional connection in vehicles like this, as per my previous comment.  No question about it.

So, do you have anything to contribute surreal, or is it business as usual with you?

Let me continue the topic, since you rarely do.....

From edmunds:

"You see, when flat out, this most special Mustang produces an unholy, pants-ripping yowl that pummels its way down your ear canal, past your eardrums and straight into your soul. The flat-plane crank in the new 5.2-liter V8 makes it both velvety-smooth and wicked efficient. It snorts up cannonballs on overrun and barks like a pissed Doberman between shifts. And even at 7,500 rpm there's a pile of meaningful revs left to unload."

And that last paragraph echoed the words I have known all along, that there remains untapped performance in this engine, because people are either afraid to spin this engine to it's screaming redline, or just not in the habit, given lesser motors.    Regardless, back to my point....Mustang delivers on emotion, proven by sales and trophies.

Thanks

I made simple and very accurate statement and you do not get to dictate what I say and how I say it. Don't like it? Tough. No one forced you to reply to me whatsoever.

I guess, based on your "emotional connection" argument, that the Mustang had none of that for five years, since they were not the volume leader from 2009-14.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Upvote 1

^

Topic please.

Mustang is the topic, especially when it was you that brought up "volume sales" and clearly the GT350R will not be a volume seller being that it is going to be produced in limited numbers.

As a result, I am 100% on topic.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Upvote 1