LA Auto Show: 2017 Lincoln MKZ: Comments

balthazar

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

01-2017-jaguar-xe-fd-1.jpg

mkz-gallery-expanded-13.jpg

Who would have thought that an MKZ can upstage so many in the luxury segment, with minor changes.

As much as I like the new front style, it really is the rear most angle that just stands out unlike anything else.....

2017-lincoln-mkz-3.jpg

and even the profile remains one of the better ones in the mid luxury market place.

2017-Lincoln-MKZ-side-view-e144118523338

Who would have thought that an MKZ can upstage so many in the luxury segment, with minor changes.

As much as I like the new front style, it really is the rear most angle that just stands out unlike anything else.....

2017-lincoln-mkz-3.jpg

and even the profile remains one of the better ones in the mid luxury market place.

It does have a nice profile to it. That is one of the things I have always liked about it. My wife loves them and wants one so bad she can't stand it. Told her CPO is going to be our route short of some unexpected lotto winnings.

2017-lincoln-mkz-3.jpg

It does have a nice profile to it. That is one of the things I have always liked about it. My wife loves them and wants one so bad she can't stand it. Told her CPO is going to be our route short of some unexpected lotto winnings.

The problem is that the profile no longer jives style wise with the fascia.

If they had made the lower fascia more angular, more Acuracy...(heheheh Acuraracyy!!!), less organeric (I know, organic, but I like the way it sounds with the twist), it might have jived more.

It's mostly the hood surface details as well and the top of the grille that are just so strikingly Jaguar, the one weak disctinction is how the hood ends at the grille, where on Jaguars it terminates before. The headlights,well, better they be a bit more derivative than Lexus Nike Swoops.

If you look at each styling element on its own, it's actually harder to tell if it's from somewhere else, but all together, the sum of all those parts...it is what it is. And what it is, is what it isn't. If you get what I mean.

This refresh either could have gone three ways. Keep the exterior but totally update the interior. Or totally update all the exterior like how the 2010 Fusion was updated in the exterior.

Or halfways measures here and here (again most refreshes are just that) during a major design change. It's just a terrible time to do a refresh knowing the product has already has its life truncated. So we know which way Lincoln went.

I'm picking up what you're laying down :D

I guess I just see the new fascia being tacked onto the old profile and think of the old Cadillac DTS, which suffered a similar fate front and rear when Art and Science was really beginning to take off. The difference here is that the Lincoln brand has now burned through three design languages in under four years, and it's beginning to whiff of desperation.

Edited by El Kabong

I'm picking up what you're laying down :D

I guess I just see the new fascia being tacked onto the old profile and think of the old Cadillac DTS, which suffered a similar fate front and rear when Art and Science was really beginning to take off. The difference here is that the Lincoln brand has now burned through three design languages in under four years, and it's beginning to whiff of desperation.

The desperation was always there. Expect they weren't desperate to prove themselves to us. They were desperate to prove themselves worthy to the rest of Ford.

(I did it here to, laughing about it). It seems all my posts are like patchworks, having to go through multiple edits. Do bear with me, headache must be reducfying the effeterivness uf mer head.

• Agree 2

A Rolls will always be a Rolls, a Bentley a Bentley, a Cadillac a Cadillac, a Benz a Benz, and a BMW a BMW... there is a permanence that shines through and shows true leadership.  And then you have Lincoln.  They haven't had anything cool since the '71 Mark III and Continental.  They had a winning style back then, and it brought them success, but they never stuck with anything long enough to gain lasting relevance to people with money.

They had something unique in the MKZ and they watered it down and made it derivative.  BAD MOVE.  Just the latest in decades of bad moves.

• Agree 2

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Yeah, well, sometimes I try on several ties or shirts before I find the perfect one to wear. Why?  Because sometimes I want to get noticed, and not just blend in with all the other suits. At least I am trying, and not just wearing the same thing my whole adult life. 

Bravo Lincoln, for trying so hard, You appear to have found the perfect look.

Another great angle view.

Really loving this new front style. I feared Lincoln lost it's distinct look, but it is alive and well.

2017-Lincoln-MKZ-5.jpg

Distinct look? It looks like they made an Audi-Jag hybrid, While I think it looks great I'm not sure how distinct it is.

Come to think of it...I'm curious what Jaguar thinks of this.

• Agree 1

Yeah, well, sometimes I try on several ties or shirts before I find the perfect one to wear. Why?  Because sometimes I want to get noticed, and not just blend in with all the other suits. At least I am trying, and not just wearing the same thing my whole adult life. 

That's a weird way to look at how Lincoln is constantly changing their identity. Clothing isn't really the greatest example of why an automaker would change their design theme.

I change my gym shorts because they smell to a pair that doesn't smell. But they're still gym shorts.

• Agree 2

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

That's a weird way to look at how Lincoln is constantly changing their identity. Clothing isn't really the greatest example of why an automaker would change their design theme.

I change my gym shorts because they smell to a pair that doesn't smell. But they're still gym shorts.

It’s all about appearance, so it need not be weird. Let’s face it, the big chrome grill went out decades ago, the waterfall grill was marginally stylish and the more recent moustache-like ‘split bow’ look was very, very polarizing.  Sure, they updated it with recent CUV line, but that’s just it, it worked better on CUVs.  Never looked good on MKS, and only looked marginally good on MKZ. This new look is  contemporary, without the ‘bow’ to the past, and just simply better aligns to a future Lincoln style that should wear well for many years.

But at the end of the luxury car shoppers day, it gets people noticing it and talking and not saying....'it looks just like the other 2 or 3 models from the last decade.'

Edited by Wings4Life

You're comparing styling languages to ties now?

Oy gevalt :(

It’s all about appearance, so it need not be weird. Let’s face it, the big chrome grill went out decades ago, the waterfall grill was marginally stylish and the more recent moustache-like ‘split bow’ look was very, very polarizing.  Sure, they updated it with recent CUV line, but that’s just it, it worked better on CUVs.  Never looked good on MKS, and only looked marginally good on MKZ. This new look is  contemporary, without the ‘bow’ to the past, and just simply better aligns to a future Lincoln style that should wear well for many years.

But at the end of the luxury car shoppers day, it gets people noticing it and talking and not saying....'it looks just like the other 2 or 3 models from the last decade.'

Those other models from the last 2-3 decades you're speaking of sell out the ass and performance matches their sales so while you may be taking a little shot at them, they have all been very VERY successful in more than one way. At least the completely ignorant can pick out a BMW/Mercedes/Audi without a badge. With all these completely different styles coming from Lincoln it will get people noticing but they won't know what it is. You see the twin kidney grills from a BMW miles way and you know what it is. You can do the same with the MB Tri-Star large and prominent in their grills.

So when will Lincoln ever find their right tie/shirt/jacket/pants/cufflinks/vest combination?

Just my opinion but I think the MKS always just looked awkward and stupid. Nothing would have made that barge look good.Too big. Too bulky. Too bland. Too underwhelming. I also hate the Taurus though..so there's that.

• Agree 3

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

^

As I said, I believe they have finally found their design language.  It cost them a couple designers, but honestly, it can't be an easy thing to establish an entire new look for a luxury brand...a luxury brand not just for today, but where it plans on going in coming years.  And the shirt/tie analogy is perfect when discussing the front styling of a brand.  

But ask yourselves the following questions:

1. Would Lincoln really be better off if they kept the same sedan styling for both the new Z and coming Conti? And why?  And sorry, just to avoid another change is not an answer to why.

2. Would future Lincolns evolving from all new D6 platforms also benefit or be hindered from carrying over the same current look? Or perhaps with an ounce of evolutionary refinement?  Can you imagine showing all new vehicles, that look like today?

Lincoln is aligning it's new look with the future.  

They chose wisely.

They should have thought of that when allowing the last one, or two, out then, right? Yes i think this is a better look. I just don't understand why they; A: change so often. B: made it look so similar,from the front, to a Jag with Audi headlights.

We will never actually know if they would have been better off with the last design(current) because they didn't stick with it.

I think it is more than body panels that have held Lincoln back so I don't think just a swap with a Jaguar will cure what they have(or haven't) done.

Well, I'm curious what they will do with the next Lincoln F-Pa... MKC will look like with the next face lift. Can you imagine how that grill will look on a Navigator??? It'll look like a plecostomus sucking on some glass.

• Agree 3

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

They should have thought of that when allowing the last one, or two, out then, right? Yes i think this is a better look. I just don't understand why they; A: change so often. B: made it look so similar,from the front, to a Jag with Audi headlights.

We will never actually know if they would have been better off with the last design(current) because they didn't stick with it.

I think it is more than body panels that have held Lincoln back so I don't think just a swap with a Jaguar will cure what they have(or haven't) done.

Well, I'm curious what they will do with the next Lincoln F-Pa... MKC will look like with the next face lift. Can you imagine how that grill will look on a Navigator??? It'll look like a plecostomus sucking on some glass.

Removed.

Not worth it

Edited by Wings4Life

This suit that Lincoln is now wearing blends in more than it gets noticed.

There is no objective perfect look. Designs evolve, get subjectively better or worse. A lot of people on this forum liked the previous look, if not for any particular reason, just because it was so unique. 

This just won't cut it to discerning buyers. Does Lincoln really want to send customers to Jaguar dealerships by mistake?

Another great angle view.

Really loving this new front style. I feared Lincoln lost it's distinct look, but it is alive and well.

2017-Lincoln-MKZ-5.jpg

Distinct look? It looks like they made an Audi-Jag hybrid, While I think it looks great I'm not sure how distinct it is.

Come to think of it...I'm curious what Jaguar thinks of this.

Take the Lincoln emblem off and this car could be anything. Frankly, a Korean or Chinese badge would make more sense with their reputation for copied design cues.

The car is attractive. The car is no longer original. Both statements are true.

• Agree 2

^ I think the back looks relatively bad for how much I like the rest of the car, even in today's clothes that it wears. The back never worked for me but I honestly really like this new front end it just looks soooo much like a Jag with Audi headlights.

But yes, the back end doesn't look like it matches the front end(I feel like that with the current gen too, though). I think the profile looks decent, not bad, not gorgeous either though.

I know it is not the Conti but the Conti will be based on this car too. Like the Alpha they will get both cars off of it and this is just a prelude.

The fact remains Lincoln is going to be a FWD/AWD brand left to compete with Buick and Acura. There is a group inside Ford that has saved Lincoln as it was set to die at one point but they still have not been given the full support like GM has given Cadillac. I hope and pray they get it as this formula is leaving much on the table. Ford has the ability to compete with anyone yet they hold back here in one of the most profitable segments in the industry.

I fear they will languish with fair profits and those who wanted to kill them will gain an upper hand again.

While I am not a Lincoln fan I do not want to see this name die due to poor management like so many others we have already lost.

This car can not compete with the present CTS so what will they do when the CTS is replaced soon.

Ford is also missing out on using a better AWD RWD platform that also could be trickled down to a better Mustang too. This would help it even be more profitable with shared platforms.

Again Yawn!

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Raise your hand if you think that Lincoln brand was better off having the current Z style sitting alongside the new Conti in a showroom.

My hand remains down.

Lincoln chose wisely.

It has historically been a mistake to debut a "new look" (in Lincoln's case, flavor of the munt) on a junior model, ESPECIALLY with all that is riding on the impact the new Continental must make in the marketplace.  That alone is a fail... it is like they are intentionally stealing their flagship sedan's thunder before it has a chance to sink or swim on its own merits.

It has historically been a mistake to debut a "new look" (in Lincoln's case, flavor of the munt) on a junior model, ESPECIALLY with all that is riding on the impact the new Continental must make in the marketplace.  That alone is a fail... it is like they are intentionally stealing their flagship sedan's thunder before it has a chance to sink or swim on its own merits.

Quite so!

I was rather confused by Lincoln's decision to debut this now before the Continental.  It seems like a major tactical mistake.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

They are debuting within 6 weeks of each other and will soon be viewed side by side.

Far better scenario, than two different sedan styles on display.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

It isn't better than debuting the Continental and then show its carry-down looks to the MKZ next.

Does it not make sinse to debut the big ole mac daddy of Lincolns first? It doesn't matter if it was a week apart or 6 weeks..I just don't understand the timing of each either.

Says some.

Truth is, when 700,000 people roll through NAIAS snapping a gazillion cell phone pics, they will all include one design language for sedan.

Nobody, except us ridiculous forum dwellers, cares which was 6 weeks in front of the other.

Edited by Wings4Life

It isn't better than debuting the Continental and then show its carry-down looks to the MKZ next.

Does it not make sinse to debut the big ole mac daddy of Lincolns first? It doesn't matter if it was a week apart or 6 weeks..I just don't understand the timing of each either.

Says some.

Truth is, when 700,000 people roll through NAIAS snapping a gazillion cell phone pics, they will all include one design language for sedan.

Nobody, except us ridiculous forum dwellers, cares which was first.

Well.. for 2 of their 3 sedans that is. One will still be the current one as far as I know. So that isn't "all".

"Some" might say, " this looks like the new MKZ I just saw" when what I (and most of us) thought what they would be going for would have been the other way around. "This looks like the Continental" or "This looks similar to their biggest baddest brother in the stable."

They are debuting within 6 weeks of each other and will soon be viewed side by side.

Far better scenario, than two different sedan styles on display.

Continental first in Detroit

MKZ second in NYC

To me it just shows they don't have a lot of faith in the Continental.

I wouldn't go that far. 

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Says some.

Well.. for 2 of their 3 sedans that is. One will still be the current one as far as I know. So that isn't "all".

"Some" might say, " this looks like the new MKZ I just saw" when what I (and most of us) thought what they would be going for would have been the other way around. "This looks like the Continental" or "This looks similar to their biggest baddest brother in the stable."

I doubt MKS will be on display at NAIAS.

cap, do you honestly believe a few weeks matter to the public today, let alone in 5, 10 25 years?

How about this, what if they revealed both at the same time? Would that be better for Conti reveal at NAIAS?

What about the fact then, that they would have had nothing at LA?

Lots to consider. You can’t just assume one plan will be best.

Says some.

cap, do you honestly believe a few weeks matter to the public today, let alone in 5, 10 25 years?

How about this, what if they revealed both at the same time? Would that be better for Conti reveal at NAIAS?

During press days?  No the MKS probably won't be there.... but when it is open to the public?  Sure, it will be there.

Says some.

Maybe just make a better freakin' car lineup then. If you have to show your number 3 car before your number 1 car because you don't have anything else to reveal and you feel the "need" to just show something then there is a problem somewhere.

Sure, debut two cars at the same time! Why couldn't they do that? Why did they HAVE to at LA? Like Drew said, NAIAS can let the Conti shine then at the NEXT show they could have shown off some of the trickle down-ness of the Conti already in fully exposed.

There are a lot of things to consider and your way isn't always best either.

^

Still, 2 designs is better than 3

But that means they will have two design languages on the floor next to eachother which is the opposite of what you said, " they will all include one design language for sedan."

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Lincoln didn't need to show something at LA..... not every manufacturer does a press conference at every show. 

Infiniti and Honda didn't even do theirs at the show.

Yet they DID and the results were excellent for them. A lot of buzz off just that and caught everyone by surprise.

And I bet you my Ford pension that showing iZ early will have absolutely zero negative consequences, when they show the Conti in January....alongside the Z.

Edited by Wings4Life

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Maybe just make a better freakin' car lineup then. If you have to show your number 3 car before your number 1 car because you don't have anything else to reveal and you feel the "need" to just show something then there is a problem somewhere.

Sure, debut two cars at the same time! Why couldn't they do that? Why did they HAVE to at LA? Like Drew said, NAIAS can let the Conti shine then at the NEXT show they could have shown off some of the trickle down-ness of the Conti already in fully exposed.

There are a lot of things to consider and your way isn't always best either.

^

Still, 2 designs is better than 3

But that means they will have two design languages on the floor next to eachother which is the opposite of what you said, " they will all include one design language for sedan."

Huh?

The point is, fewer design languages is better.

Why is this an argument

Says some.

Nobody, except us ridiculous forum dwellers, cares which was 6 weeks in front of the other.

Says everyone who doesn't work for Ford, or else you wouldn't be making 500 different excuses for that very fact.

The head honcho designers at JaguarLandRover and FordMoCo are 

brothers.

Maybe that explains their willingness to deftly evade intellectual property concerns.

Must be why Aston Martin hasn't grilled Ford too hard. :gitfunky:

Edited by surreal1272

The head honcho designers at JaguarLandRover and FordMoCo are 

brothers.

Maybe that explains their willingness to deftly evade intellectual property concerns.

Must be why Aston Martin hasn't grilled Ford too hard. :gitfunky:

Well, Henrik Fisker was responsible for AM's design language that is being phased out with the DB11.

My guess - Ford dodged any concerns from AM because Fisker's core design for Aston Martin itself was very old and being replaced within one product cycle.

But, I still think that the Fusion front grille for example, only bears a passing resemblance. The Jaudi XJz however is a blatant riff of other automakers, and it's just by the front end. Everything else is still Lincoln.