balthazar

LA Auto Show: 2017 Lincoln MKZ: Comments

Now for something completely out of left field. Before the LA Auto Show kicked off, Lincoln surprised everyone with an updated version of the MKZ.

The updates begin outside where the front end trades in the split-wing grille for similar look found on the Continental concept. A rounded grille is flanked with narrowed headlights with LEDs. The back is mostly unchanged aside from a new bumper. Inside is a new centerstack with actual buttons for the climate controls and radio. There's a choice of two Revel audio systems and two USB plugs for rear passengers to charge their devices.

Under the hood, the MKZ boasts a 2.0L GTDI four-cylinder with 245 horsepower as standard, and a hybrid. But if you want power in your MKZ, then you want the brand new 3.0L GTDI V6 with 400 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque when equipped with all-wheel drive. Front-wheel drive models will get 350 horsepower.

The 3.0 GTDI V6 will have the option of a Driver's Package that adds nineteen-inch wheels, sportier suspension setup, dynamic torque vectoring, Ebony-painted brake calipers, and carbon fiber trim.

Lincoln says the 2017 MKZ will begin arriving at dealers next summer.

Source: Lincoln

Press Release is on Page 2

Quiet Luxury: Intuitive Technology, Effortless Performance and Distinctive Design Drive 2017 Lincoln MKZ

• Suite of cutting-edge intuitive technologies including available adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go, auto hold, Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection and enhanced park assist help ease the new Lincoln MKZ driving experience
  • Effortless performance enabled by available new Lincoln-exclusive 3.0-liter GTDI V6 engine, which creates a quiet, powerful ride, or popular hybrid option
  • Distinctively redesigned from the inside out, including three new Lincoln Black Label themes available, plus two available Revel® audio systems delivering the height of Lincoln luxury

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 18, 2015 – Discover your new favorite space. The new Lincoln MKZ combines intuitive technology, effortless performance and distinctive design to deliver an enhanced driving experience Lincoln calls quiet luxury.

Lincoln reveals a newly designed MKZ today, focusing on areas most desired by today's luxury midsize sedan customer – quality, performance and style.

"Our customers are looking for three attributes in a luxury midsize sedan – technologies that ease their everyday experience, a beautiful design that is crafted with attention to detail, and a vehicle with impressive power that makes it a pleasure to drive," said Kumar Galhotra, president of Lincoln. "The new Lincoln MKZ elevates all of these attributes – and many more – to create a compelling entry in this large and highly competitive portion of the luxury market."

The new Lincoln MKZ is designed to appeal to those who are looking for something different in the luxury market. From the placement of technology features such as the push-button gear shift to reimagined interior spaces including the floating center console, drivers can relish in discovering an unexpected experience based on intelligent function and beautiful form that offers, above all, an enjoyable drive.

The Lincoln Experience is brought to life through the available Lincoln-exclusive 3.0-liter GTDI V6 engine, as well as intangible elements like the quiet cabin provided by the Active Noise Control system.

Features that make the new Lincoln MKZ a haven of refined comfort include curated spaces for storage, the availability of three Lincoln Black Label interior packages with exclusive, personal in-home design consultation, available fully retractable panoramic glass roof, and concert-quality Revel® audio with specially designed doors for optimal positioning of the speakers.

Intuitive technology
The new Lincoln MKZ is designed to make the drive ride easier and more enjoyable. Available adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go functionality automatically can slow the car, resuming higher speeds when traffic clears. The system activates the brakes automatically to bring the car to a complete stop if the driver fails to apply brakes in time1.

An auto hold feature keeps the car at a complete stop without the driver having to press and hold the brake pedal – making stop-and-go driving more relaxing for MKZ owners.

Available enhanced park assist uses ultrasonic sensors to help Lincoln MKZ seamlessly steer itself into a parallel or perpendicular parking spot. The car can assist with park-out as needed.

Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection is an available technology that can help avoid some frontal crashes (1), or lessen the severity of such events.

Lincoln-exclusive engine provides effortless performance
An all-new, Lincoln-exclusive 3.0-liter GTDI V6 leads available engine choices for the new Lincoln MKZ. When paired with an intelligent all-wheel-drive system, the twin-turbocharged engine produces 400 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque (2,3 )for effortless performance and refinement.

Dynamic Torque Vectoring (4), part of an available Driver's Package for MKZ with the 3.0-liter engine, enhances cornering agility without compromising ride comfort, helping drivers enjoy a smooth, seamless experience.

The new Lincoln MKZ provides a hybrid alternative as well; and a 2.0-liter GTDI, 245-horsepower2 four-cylinder engine with front-wheel drive.

Available Lincoln Drive Control allows drivers to adjust among three drive ride modes – comfort, normal and sport. The system includes continuously controlled damping, and electric power-assisted steering to provide comfortable, confident handling.

The Driver's Package for Lincoln MKZ with 3.0-liter V6 also includes 19-inch wheels, Ebony-painted calipers, light Magnetic-painted grille, Ebony interior with carbon fiber appliqués, customizable multi-contour seats and aluminum pedal covers. In addition, the package features retuned continuously controlled damping and suspension for enhanced driving dynamics.

Distinctive design
The new face of Lincoln is highlighted by available adaptive LED headlamps that help deliver cleaner, clearer lighting for drivers, complemented by the all-new one-piece Lincoln signature grille.

Inside, engineers paid particular attention to the sound and feel of new switches and dials that replace slider adjustments for easier control of ventilation and audio functions for new Lincoln MKZ customers. Commonly used buttons and USB ports are now even easier to access.

Two all-new Lincoln Black Label themes, Chalet and Vineyard, as well as Thoroughbred, deliver desired uniqueness and options paired with luxurious materials. Lincoln MKZ's available fully retractable panoramic glass roof offers the largest open-air roof among sedans.5

The new Lincoln MKZ goes on sale in summer 2016.

1. Driver-assist features are supplemental and do not replace the driver's judgment.
2. Tested with 93-octane fuel.
3. 3.0-liter GTDI V6 engine in front-wheel drive models is limited to 350 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque.
4. Requires 3.0-liter GTDI V6 engine and AWD.
5. Based on effective roof opening as measured by Webasto.

View full article

Gotta be honest.. I love the bump in HP for the AWD model.. 400HP/400 torque from a 3.0L TT... Sounds familiar.. but the look seems like Lincoln literally stole from all three, Kia, Jag, and Audi (the headlights) in their design. What ever happened to originality. The Split wing on the MKZ was actually one of the few things that set it apart. Thank GOD they retained the "Oldsmobile Toronado" taillights  :dizzy: OK.. make that 4

2017-Lincoln-MKZ-14_zpsinci3f8p.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Now for something completely out of left field. Before the LA Auto Show kicked off, Lincoln surprised everyone with an updated version of the MKZ.

The updates begin outside where the front end trades in the split-wing grille for similar look found on the Continental concept. A rounded grille is flanked with narrowed headlights with LEDs. The back is mostly unchanged aside from a new bumper. Inside is a new centerstack with actual buttons for the climate controls and radio. There's a choice of two Revel audio systems and two USB plugs for rear passengers to charge their devices.

Under the hood, the MKZ boasts a 2.0L GTDI four-cylinder with 245 horsepower as standard, and a hybrid. But if you want power in your MKZ, then you want the brand new 3.0L GTDI V6 with 400 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque when equipped with all-wheel drive. Front-wheel drive models will get 350 horsepower.

The 3.0 GTDI V6 will have the option of a Driver's Package that adds nineteen-inch wheels, sportier suspension setup, dynamic torque vectoring, Ebony-painted brake calipers, and carbon fiber trim.

Lincoln says the 2017 MKZ will begin arriving at dealers next summer.

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article

Some are confused as to why Lincoln can’t find a design language and stick with it….like some luxury brands whose evolutionary styling looks very similar decade to decade. I don’t know, I like things mixed up a bit. Brings excitement to the brand and also shows they are not afraid of stepping out with some wilder themes.

Like what I see.  Previous design was polarizing, but eventually I warmed to it.  This should be much easier to warm to.  And gotta love the performance AWD with RWD feel, minus the RWD limitations.

• Upvote 1

Well.. I like it..kind of. I, too, am confused why they are all over the map with their design language. I don't mind evolving from generation to generation but to completely drop one and change makes it dificult for people to recognize your brand and to really build some cache with it.

Does this mean the MKC/X/Nav will all be adapting this grill as well?

Is this the same Taurus-based car from like..2008?

Casa,

I noticed those IDENTICAL Audi headlights as well. I like them, but definitely they still look like an Audi rip-off.

The engine and powertrain choices are solid but this Continental front end on the existing MKZ skin is just average and a mixed bag to me. Just don't think this new look will age well. It does borrow heavily from Jaguar and to a lesser extent, Audi. Not that it's a bad thing but it is what what it is.

I'm really confused because I see a lot of derivatives like Casa, but especially similar to the new Jag. This is unfortunate, because I actually like the current MKZ and the developing Lincoln design language. The new split wing worked, and it was original. Are they going to have 3 corporate faces sold simultaneously? The MKS and MKT both still wear the old "refreshed" grilles.

2016-jaguar-xf-s-awd-front-side-view-wit

2017-lincoln-mkz-front-three-quarters-02

If you are gonna look close to anything, might as well be the most stylish luxury brand in the world.

No shields here, thank God.

It seems as tho the new thing at Ford is to take designs from higher end vehicles to get attention in a formula originally pulled off by Hyundai, then Chrysler (300)then... well Ford... With the Fusion. It worked to a degree, but on a WHOLE BRAND?

Coming up with an original yet cohesive design language would have made this far more impressive. Again, it has a nice look to it (Jaguar influence being what it is) but it just doesn't stand out on it's own because of that obvious influence. I actually like the split grill look better because it didn't look like anything else.

Edited by surreal1272

Yawn!

I can already hear the cries from those who were expecting the show car.

Note: This isn't the Continental. That will be shown most likely at Detroit.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yawn!

I can already hear the cries from those who were expecting the show car.

What William said.

My main issue is only in the order of the release.  They should have shown the production Continental first and then this.  

I'm going to be doing an "Up Close" article on this one.

Nice looking update, but it does remind me of the 300 now. Copy one of the best selling full size sedans?

The one thing I find questionable with this announcement is that it comes out two months before the car that modeled the look first (the Continental) and this obviously the look they wish to convey with their cars. Weird strategy but that's just my opinion.

New front styling blends in much better now with the back style.  This is much more mainstream than before, so sales should probably improve, especially combined with this new higher performance model. So it will launch a few months before Conti, which makes sense to show Z first, I would expect the two together to really give Lincoln a boost next year. They are already on track for about a 10% gain again this year, which is much higher than the segment average, if not the highest.  And with the design elements so close to Conti concept, I think that bodes well for what should be a very close to concept Conti.

And still one of the best profiles in the segment, imho.....

2017-lincoln-mkz-CHASE-6.jpg

• Upvote 1

Props to Lincoln for putting a 400 hp turbo V6 in the MKZ to breath some life into it.  I was surprised that this is the most powerful Lincoln ever, hard to believe that in their 100 year history they never mad a 400 hp engine.  

The grille doesn't look that good, they are just copying Jaguar and some others.  They will have an all new styling language in 2020 anyway, Lincoln doesn't stick with anything.

Well I read some news release that this was the most powerful Lincoln ever.

Problem is, they can put 400 hp in it, but it is still a Fusion chassis underneath.

Edited by smk4565

Uh, well atleast it doesn't look any worse, to me that is. 

I like the way it looks, but if I actually owned one, I would immediately concede that the design of the exterior is painfully similar to brands that Lincoln wished it could compete with right now. I think it's fishy how it now looks more Jaguar than even Jaguar. But I won't complain that it doesn't look good.

It's just that it appears for the near-term, Lincoln has no ambition to look different. Well, maybe the resemblance will help sales, and justify more investment. But that's a big if.

The interior... just not feeling the update. I don't like the steering wheel, how it continues to have overlapping panels instead of integrated ones. But the rest is an upgrade, so why not?

But I still continue to like the side profile. It's very good.

Well I read some news release that this was the most powerful Lincoln ever.

Well net > gross… but the posted number is the same. :)

Shared with Merc (tho the air cleaner was unlettered/numbered) - clearly one of the most striking air cleaners ever minted :

1958_mercury_430_400_by_detroitdemigod-d

400hp with AWD is good.

Front end that has nothing to do with what's going on behind the A-pillars is not good. As mentioned earlier, no cohesion-and this will only become more apparent when the Continental bows with a similar front end plus the rest of the car that should accompany it.

A game facelift on a tight budget. But little more.

I have to admit, the drivetrain sounds enticing. I'm not really convinced the rest of it is worthy of any compliments, however. I really thought the current MKZ was a fantastic design and this just seems like a step backwards. I mean, the front clip looks okay by itself, but it doesn't mesh well with the sharp lines elsewhere. It's a sort of a generic mess. 

• Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      The Ford Explorer is the all-time best-selling SUV in the US. So when Ford redesigned it the ground up, they made sure the 2020 Ford Explorer keeps a familiar face.  Now on a new rear-wheel-drive platform that improves interior space and towing capacity, the Explorer broadens the already strong brand Ford has built over the years. 
      Under the hood are one of two turbocharged engines. Offered on the Base, XLT, and Limited is a 2.3 liter Ecoboost 4-cylinder producing 300 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque.  Standard on the Platinum is a 3.0 liter Ecoboost pumping out 365 horsepower and 380 lb-ft of torque when fed 93 Octane.  The 2.3 liter comes in either rear-wheel drive or intelligent four-wheel drive with front axle disconnect.  That same four-wheel drive system is standard on the Platinum.  Power is fed to the wheels through the now familiar 10-speed automatic also found in the Ranger and F-150.  3.0 liter equipped models can tow up to 5,600 lbs, a 12% increase over the existing 3.5 Ecoboost. the 2.3 liter powered models gain a massive 2,300 additional pound towing capacity, maxing out at 5,300 lbs when equipped with a class-III hitch.
      Update: Ford says that more information regarding a hybrid and a Ford Explorer ST will be coming on Monday at the North American International Auto Show.
      The interior of the Explorer is also all new and features and available 10.1 in portrait oriented center infotainment screen featuring Ford's Sync3 infotainment system. Wifi service is also available and can support up to 10 devices.  Charging those devices should be no problem with 4 USB ports, including new USB-C ports, available wireless charging pad, three 12-volt power sockets, and a 110-volt household style outlet.
      The overall silhouette of the Explorer doesn't change much and Ford maintained the blacked out  A and D pillars.  However, moving to a rear wheel drive platform allowed Ford to reduce the front overhang and give a more sloping roofline.
      Like on the new Ford Edge, Ford is including its suite of safety technology called Co-Pilot 360.  This suite contains safety items like adaptive cruise control, speed sign recognition, pre-collision assist, automatic pedestrian braking, lane keeping system, automatic headlamps with automatic high beams, and more.
      The 2020 Ford Explorer will be built in Ford's Chicago assembly plant and will go on sale this summer. 
      All New Ford Explorer Press Release.pdf

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The Ford Explorer is the all-time best-selling SUV in the US. So when Ford redesigned it the ground up, they made sure the 2020 Ford Explorer keeps a familiar face.  Now on a new rear-wheel-drive platform that improves interior space and towing capacity, the Explorer broadens the already strong brand Ford has built over the years. 
      Under the hood are one of two turbocharged engines. Offered on the Base, XLT, and Limited is a 2.3 liter Ecoboost 4-cylinder producing 300 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque.  Standard on the Platinum is a 3.0 liter Ecoboost pumping out 365 horsepower and 380 lb-ft of torque when fed 93 Octane.  The 2.3 liter comes in either rear-wheel drive or intelligent four-wheel drive with front axle disconnect.  That same four-wheel drive system is standard on the Platinum.  Power is fed to the wheels through the now familiar 10-speed automatic also found in the Ranger and F-150.  3.0 liter equipped models can tow up to 5,600 lbs, a 12% increase over the existing 3.5 Ecoboost. the 2.3 liter powered models gain a massive 2,300 additional pound towing capacity, maxing out at 5,300 lbs when equipped with a class-III hitch.
      Update: Ford says that more information regarding a hybrid and a Ford Explorer ST will be coming on Monday at the North American International Auto Show.
      The interior of the Explorer is also all new and features and available 10.1 in portrait oriented center infotainment screen featuring Ford's Sync3 infotainment system. Wifi service is also available and can support up to 10 devices.  Charging those devices should be no problem with 4 USB ports, including new USB-C ports, available wireless charging pad, three 12-volt power sockets, and a 110-volt household style outlet.
      The overall silhouette of the Explorer doesn't change much and Ford maintained the blacked out  A and D pillars.  However, moving to a rear wheel drive platform allowed Ford to reduce the front overhang and give a more sloping roofline.
      Like on the new Ford Edge, Ford is including its suite of safety technology called Co-Pilot 360.  This suite contains safety items like adaptive cruise control, speed sign recognition, pre-collision assist, automatic pedestrian braking, lane keeping system, automatic headlamps with automatic high beams, and more.
      The 2020 Ford Explorer will be built in Ford's Chicago assembly plant and will go on sale this summer. 
      All New Ford Explorer Press Release.pdf
    • By William Maley
      Back in March, we reported that Lincoln showed it dealers a Continental with rear-hinged suicide doors and announced plans to build it. We didn't have any details of when this model would launch or why - our speculation at the time was Lincoln showing some commitment to its car lineup. Today, Lincoln has revealed the suicide door version of the Continental.
      The 2019 Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition pays tribute to the introduction of the Continental nameplate and one of its most iconic features - the suicide-hinged doors that were first offered in 1961.
      Lincoln teamed with Cabot Coach Builders in Massachusetts to produce this special edition model. Lincoln did all of the engineering, metalwork and everything else required for this vehicle. The base vehicle and necessary parts are sent to Cabot which will produce the model. It begins with the Continental being stretched out six-inches. Aside from giving the space required for the suicide doors, it also makes for a more spacious rear seat, complete with a pass-through console featuring a stowable tray table and wireless charging pad. Lincoln says the changes only add about 100 to 150 pounds to the overall weight.
      Power will come from the twin-turbo 3.0L V6 with 400 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque.
      Lincoln is only planning on building 80 Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Editions for the 2019 model year, with pricing expected to begin above the $100,000 mark. The automaker did mention that it is planning to make a "limited" number of 2020 model year vehicles, though no number was given. If the rumor about the current Continental going away in next few years proves to be true, this isn't a bad way to give it a final curtain call.
      Gallery: 2019 Lincoln Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition
      80th Anniversary Lincoln Continental Arrives In Style With Iconic Center-Opening Doors
      Introduction of Lincoln Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition pays homage to the iconic style of the 1960s This limited-edition Continental offers nod to heritage while providing refinements for today’s discerning luxury client, such as an elegantly crafted rear-seat pass-through console with stowable tray table and tablet holder Limited run of 80 units, honoring Continental’s 80th anniversary, will be produced for the 2019 model year, each personalized with a unique badge; Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition is scheduled to arrive next summer NEW YORK, Dec. 17, 2018 – “Notice the doors,” the vintage advertisement for the Lincoln Continental began. “And notice how they open. From the center, to make everyone’s entrances graceful.”
      With that, an enduring automotive design legend was born – the coach doors – or center-opening doors, which conveyed elegance and a touch of Hollywood glamour.
      Today, six decades later, Lincoln is bringing back a modern version of these iconic center-opening doors with the introduction of the Lincoln Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition. A limited run of just 80 units will be produced.
      The Continental Coach Door Edition arrives as Lincoln is riding a new wave of product momentum. Following the reveal of the all-new Lincoln Aviator at the Los Angeles Auto Show, this 80th Anniversary Continental celebrates the heritage of one of America’s most beloved luxury sedans.
      “This Lincoln Continental echoes a design that captured the hearts of car enthusiasts around the world,” says Joy Falotico, president, The Lincoln Motor Company. “It’s something bespoke only Lincoln can offer in a thoroughly modern way.”
      Glamour and allure
      Lincoln Continental began as a custom luxury vehicle hand-crafted by chief stylist Eugene T. Gregorie for Edsel Ford in 1939. Years later, the 1961 Continental introduced the unique center-opening doors and a chrome-accented upper shoulder line that established a signature look for Lincoln.
      “The center-opening doors became synonymous with the Lincoln Continental, even though they were only featured primarily in the ’60s,” says David Woodhouse, design director, The Lincoln Motor Company. “But they struck such a chord that they’re still remembered so fondly today.”
      Woodhouse says the element is both dramatic and distinctive. “It was truly a watershed moment for us in terms of iconic design,” he adds.
      Each of the 80 units in this limited production for 2019 will have a special door sill plate featuring its number in the run. A limited number of additional Continental Coach Door Edition sedans will be available as well for the 2020 model year.
      The Lincoln Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door provides the refinements and advanced features today’s luxury vehicle client desires. From the doors to the seating to the Lincoln Black Label interior, no detail has been overlooked. Rear-seat amenities are uniquely tailored, featuring an elegantly crafted pass-through console that offers a stowable tray table with tablet holder and wireless charging pad.
      Rear-seat passengers will be more comfortable than ever. The six inches added to the car’s wheelbase allow for the placement of the larger coach doors, while also delivering best-in-class second-row legroom.
      Celebrating form and function
      The center-opening coach doors are a celebration of both form and function. Woodhouse says they showcase the interior of an exceptionally beautiful vehicle. The 90-degree opening makes for easy, graceful entry and exit by allowing passengers to turn to sit to enter, then exit the car by stepping forward and out.
      “People appreciate elegance and glamour,” says Woodhouse. “And they want the easiest way to get in and out of a vehicle. These doors answer to both.”
      The car is meticulously crafted inside and out, integrating technologies that both assist and entertain. This Continental senses a driver’s approach and lights up with Lincoln’s trademark sequential welcoming embrace. Its award-winning Head-Up display contributes to a custom driving experience by letting drivers choose what information is projected onto the windshield display. The feature is so innovative that it is visible even with ambient lighting and when the driver is wearing polarized sunglasses.
      In keeping with the spirit of arriving in style, the 2019 Lincoln Continental’s innovative electronic door system allows doors to be unlatched in a smooth, single motion, making entry and exit both effortless and quiet.
      With Lincoln’s exclusive 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged V6 engine, Continental delivers the power and performance today’s luxury clients expect with an impressive 400 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque. Three Drive Modes, including Normal, Sport and Comfort, allow clients to personalize their driving experience.
      To complement its smooth, powerful drive, this special edition features Perfect Position seats that adjust 30 ways, plus Active Noise Control for a quiet interior. A Revel® Ultima Audio experience allows drivers to select one of three listening modes, including stereo, audience and on-stage.
      Continental clients will have their choice of Lincoln Black Label themes, the brand’s most personalized level of luxury, including Chalet and Thoroughbred. Lincoln Black Label not only provides the highest quality of materials in customized designer themes, it also offers a host of membership privileges. These include annual vehicle detailing, anytime carwashes, and access to a selection of restaurants where noted chefs will provide a curated dining experience.
      This limited-edition model is available to order now through Lincoln Black Label dealers. The Lincoln Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition is set to arrive next summer. 

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Back in March, we reported that Lincoln showed it dealers a Continental with rear-hinged suicide doors and announced plans to build it. We didn't have any details of when this model would launch or why - our speculation at the time was Lincoln showing some commitment to its car lineup. Today, Lincoln has revealed the suicide door version of the Continental.
      The 2019 Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition pays tribute to the introduction of the Continental nameplate and one of its most iconic features - the suicide-hinged doors that were first offered in 1961.
      Lincoln teamed with Cabot Coach Builders in Massachusetts to produce this special edition model. Lincoln did all of the engineering, metalwork and everything else required for this vehicle. The base vehicle and necessary parts are sent to Cabot which will produce the model. It begins with the Continental being stretched out six-inches. Aside from giving the space required for the suicide doors, it also makes for a more spacious rear seat, complete with a pass-through console featuring a stowable tray table and wireless charging pad. Lincoln says the changes only add about 100 to 150 pounds to the overall weight.
      Power will come from the twin-turbo 3.0L V6 with 400 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque.
      Lincoln is only planning on building 80 Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Editions for the 2019 model year, with pricing expected to begin above the $100,000 mark. The automaker did mention that it is planning to make a "limited" number of 2020 model year vehicles, though no number was given. If the rumor about the current Continental going away in next few years proves to be true, this isn't a bad way to give it a final curtain call.
      Gallery: 2019 Lincoln Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition
      80th Anniversary Lincoln Continental Arrives In Style With Iconic Center-Opening Doors
      Introduction of Lincoln Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition pays homage to the iconic style of the 1960s This limited-edition Continental offers nod to heritage while providing refinements for today’s discerning luxury client, such as an elegantly crafted rear-seat pass-through console with stowable tray table and tablet holder Limited run of 80 units, honoring Continental’s 80th anniversary, will be produced for the 2019 model year, each personalized with a unique badge; Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition is scheduled to arrive next summer NEW YORK, Dec. 17, 2018 – “Notice the doors,” the vintage advertisement for the Lincoln Continental began. “And notice how they open. From the center, to make everyone’s entrances graceful.”
      With that, an enduring automotive design legend was born – the coach doors – or center-opening doors, which conveyed elegance and a touch of Hollywood glamour.
      Today, six decades later, Lincoln is bringing back a modern version of these iconic center-opening doors with the introduction of the Lincoln Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition. A limited run of just 80 units will be produced.
      The Continental Coach Door Edition arrives as Lincoln is riding a new wave of product momentum. Following the reveal of the all-new Lincoln Aviator at the Los Angeles Auto Show, this 80th Anniversary Continental celebrates the heritage of one of America’s most beloved luxury sedans.
      “This Lincoln Continental echoes a design that captured the hearts of car enthusiasts around the world,” says Joy Falotico, president, The Lincoln Motor Company. “It’s something bespoke only Lincoln can offer in a thoroughly modern way.”
      Glamour and allure
      Lincoln Continental began as a custom luxury vehicle hand-crafted by chief stylist Eugene T. Gregorie for Edsel Ford in 1939. Years later, the 1961 Continental introduced the unique center-opening doors and a chrome-accented upper shoulder line that established a signature look for Lincoln.
      “The center-opening doors became synonymous with the Lincoln Continental, even though they were only featured primarily in the ’60s,” says David Woodhouse, design director, The Lincoln Motor Company. “But they struck such a chord that they’re still remembered so fondly today.”
      Woodhouse says the element is both dramatic and distinctive. “It was truly a watershed moment for us in terms of iconic design,” he adds.
      Each of the 80 units in this limited production for 2019 will have a special door sill plate featuring its number in the run. A limited number of additional Continental Coach Door Edition sedans will be available as well for the 2020 model year.
      The Lincoln Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door provides the refinements and advanced features today’s luxury vehicle client desires. From the doors to the seating to the Lincoln Black Label interior, no detail has been overlooked. Rear-seat amenities are uniquely tailored, featuring an elegantly crafted pass-through console that offers a stowable tray table with tablet holder and wireless charging pad.
      Rear-seat passengers will be more comfortable than ever. The six inches added to the car’s wheelbase allow for the placement of the larger coach doors, while also delivering best-in-class second-row legroom.
      Celebrating form and function
      The center-opening coach doors are a celebration of both form and function. Woodhouse says they showcase the interior of an exceptionally beautiful vehicle. The 90-degree opening makes for easy, graceful entry and exit by allowing passengers to turn to sit to enter, then exit the car by stepping forward and out.
      “People appreciate elegance and glamour,” says Woodhouse. “And they want the easiest way to get in and out of a vehicle. These doors answer to both.”
      The car is meticulously crafted inside and out, integrating technologies that both assist and entertain. This Continental senses a driver’s approach and lights up with Lincoln’s trademark sequential welcoming embrace. Its award-winning Head-Up display contributes to a custom driving experience by letting drivers choose what information is projected onto the windshield display. The feature is so innovative that it is visible even with ambient lighting and when the driver is wearing polarized sunglasses.
      In keeping with the spirit of arriving in style, the 2019 Lincoln Continental’s innovative electronic door system allows doors to be unlatched in a smooth, single motion, making entry and exit both effortless and quiet.
      With Lincoln’s exclusive 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged V6 engine, Continental delivers the power and performance today’s luxury clients expect with an impressive 400 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque. Three Drive Modes, including Normal, Sport and Comfort, allow clients to personalize their driving experience.
      To complement its smooth, powerful drive, this special edition features Perfect Position seats that adjust 30 ways, plus Active Noise Control for a quiet interior. A Revel® Ultima Audio experience allows drivers to select one of three listening modes, including stereo, audience and on-stage.
      Continental clients will have their choice of Lincoln Black Label themes, the brand’s most personalized level of luxury, including Chalet and Thoroughbred. Lincoln Black Label not only provides the highest quality of materials in customized designer themes, it also offers a host of membership privileges. These include annual vehicle detailing, anytime carwashes, and access to a selection of restaurants where noted chefs will provide a curated dining experience.
      This limited-edition model is available to order now through Lincoln Black Label dealers. The Lincoln Continental 80th Anniversary Coach Door Edition is set to arrive next summer. 
    • By William Maley
      The upcoming Lincoln Aviator will be offering a very potent plug-in hybrid powertrain offering 450 horsepower and a whopping 600 pound-feet of torque. But what will Lincoln call this Aviator model? Most competitors use something like E-Hybrid, PHEV, or a 'e' to the end of the model. According to Automotive News, Lincoln will be using the Grand Touring (GT) to designate electrified variants.
      "Quite simply, it came down to, what does it do? And what it does is that it makes the vehicle more exciting to drive. It's the purest definition of Grand Touring," said Robert Parker, Lincoln's marketing chief.
      Lincoln went through various names, "including variations of the letter E," in internal discussions and focus groups before landing on Grand Touring.
      "Consumers may have liked the word but didn't know what it meant. If I have to go spend money to describe to customers what a new word means, I've taken money away from promoting Aviator," explained Parker.
      "You can talk yourself into these letters and conventions, but when you go out into the consumer space, they're very confused. EcoBoost wasn't new; direct-injection technology was around in the late '80s, but nobody seemed to find the magic until EcoBoost."
      We'll see if this works out for Lincoln when the Aviator begins hitting dealers next summer.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
  • My Clubs