Ford Police Interceptor quickest to 60 mph

Wings4Life(BANNED)

Ford's cop cars posted another year of strong results in evaluations by the Michigan State Police and Los Angeles Sheriff's Department. The Blue Oval's 2016 Interceptors claim top scores for acceleration and lap times in both agencies' tests, and another one of its models earned pursuit-rating status.

Both police departments now mandate that evaluations are conducted in the vehicles' default states, which means traction and stability control systems remain activated. Ford already configured its vehicles this way, company spokesman Chris Terry told Autoblog, and the company claimed the rule change only helped this year's results. In the LASD's 0-60 miles-per-hour acceleration test, the all-wheel drive Interceptor Sedan with the 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost sprinted there in 5.8 seconds, compared to 6.6 seconds for the rear-drive 5.7-liter V8 Dodge Charger and 6.7 seconds for the 6.0-liter V8 Chevrolet Caprice.

The MSP published preliminary results of its tests (as a PDF), and Ford topped two major criteria there. The 3.5 EcoBoost sedan with all-wheel drive managed an average lap time of 1:35.66 to beat the all-wheel drive 5.7-liter Charger's 1:36.12. The same Blue Oval model sprinted to 60 mph in 6.17 seconds to best the Caprice's run of 6.26 seconds.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/30/ford-police-testing-results/

• Upvote 1

So current Taurus will continue for police fleet use for the near future, as Ford shunned the NA market with their new Taurus.  

So that means that Conti gets a bit of exclusivity as they prepare all new vehicles on all new platforms in the coming years.  This will allow them a whole different approach to differentiation.  Can't wait to see what they are preparing. 

• Upvote 1

So current Taurus will continue for police fleet use for the near future, as Ford shunned the NA market with their new Taurus.  

So that means that Conti gets a bit of exclusivity as they prepare all new vehicles on all new platforms in the coming years.  This will allow them a whole different approach to differentiation.  Can't wait to see what they are preparing. 

Well isn't that what D6 is for? So we can eventually get a new Taurus on a new platform?

That's really lame for the Caprice! Was it loaded with lead?! Grandma's LaCrosse  gets to 60 in 6.8 seconds. 

It makes me think they were doing burnouts with the cars and that's why there  is such a disparity on AWD v RWD.

Doesn't the caprice have the 6.2?!? I thought that car was supposed to be a little sleeper!

That's really lame for the Caprice! Was it loaded with lead?! Grandma's LaCrosse  gets to 60 in 6.8 seconds. 

It makes me think they were doing burnouts with the cars and that's why there  is such a disparity on AWD v RWD.

Doesn't the caprice have the 6.2?!? I thought that car was supposed to be a little sleeper!

It's the 6.0 rated for 355 hp. 

It's the 6.0 rated for 355 hp.

Ahhh yes the 6.0! Either way... That's not a weak motor! Must be freakin bullet proof.

Shoot, why does this keep happening to me?  Now you have me wanting to investigate and compare repair records of these three police specials.

Well, now that you mention it, I'm curious as well.. Are you talking repair costs per(let's just use a bumper as an example) bumper or how often each is involved in an incident needing repair?

Showing that most police cars are slower than a V6 Camry. Yes you have the extra weight of the car. But the V8s in the Caprice and Charger are really dated. They are both around 355 HP in heavy cars. The fuel cost has to be high on those, especially compared to the old v6 impala cop cars.

Highlights of Test Results: Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department (LASD)

- Ford EcoBoost Interceptor Sedan repeats as best-in-class acceleration for overall pursuit vehicles (0-60 mph in 5.8 seconds vs. 6.6 seconds for the 5.7-liter Charger and 6.7 seconds for the 6.0-liter Chevrolet Caprice)

- EcoBoost Interceptor Utility repeats as best-in-class acceleration for utilities and repeats faster than all base V6 cars

- Ford 2.0-liter Special Service Police Sedan achieves 0-60 and 0-100 times faster than the 2011 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

http://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/6-ford-brand-news-global/14825-ford-2-0l-ecoboost-sedan-becomes-pursuit-rated.html

Edited by Wings4Life

Hard to say what repair costs would be, but considering the fact that Ford designed most of the gear and hardware and interfaces to work with existing police systems, I would say that not only is the Ford vehicle cheaper to own in the long run, but quicker to learn and understand with an existing comfort zone for law enforcement.  And when things break, spare parts are surely in supply, or at the very least, easier to implement.

Think about that, an 2.0L GTDI that is pursuit rated and quicker than the old V8 Interceptors.

So yeah, cops must be having fun running down the bad guys with the 3.5L

If you aren't using the car for highway patrol 0-60 time probably doesn't matter that much anyway.  And look at how long Cops got by with the Crown Vic that did 0-60 in 8.5  seconds.  I would think a Fusion Hybrid would be the best police car option Ford has in their lineup, and they don't capitalize on it.  Most cop cars sit around at idle or do around town and city driving (with exception to highway patrol), so the hybrid would be the best value.

If you aren't using the car for highway patrol 0-60 time probably doesn't matter that much anyway.  And look at how long Cops got by with the Crown Vic that did 0-60 in 8.5  seconds.  I would think a Fusion Hybrid would be the best police car option Ford has in their lineup, and they don't capitalize on it.  Most cop cars sit around at idle or do around town and city driving (with exception to highway patrol), so the hybrid would be the best value.

I agree with SMK, I think most police need Hybrids more than a V8 as they do idle or drive city driving rarely highway. Have the V8 for the State Patrol and hybrid for city forces.

Would be interesting to see if any would use a Tesla for their cop cars. In seattle, specifically the Medina area where Bill and Melinda gates lives, the cops there use Escalades and G Wagons for their cop cars. LOL, but then the average price of a house there is over 20 Million, so I guess the 1% expect nicer cop autos.

No I am not thinking of checking collision repair cost figures.  I want to look at frequency and cost of mechanical repairs among the Ford Taurus, Dodge Charger, and Chevrolet Caprice.

And I love the above post just BUNCHES because it fails to mention THE most legendary and most loved police cruiser of all time... the 5.7L B-body Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 1986-1996.

Police officers don't like their Taurus police cars because they can't see out of them and they are too small.  And I will bet you one million doll hairs that these new-age Fords will not be near as durable as the old B-body or the Panther cars.  It practically goes without saying.

• Upvote 1

GM fans can be so sensitive.

Pretty sure there are enough Plymouth and Crown Vic police cars since the 60's to justify my remarks, but I digress. 

Truth is, municipalities seem to be biased once again to Ford, and Explorer seems to be striking a perfect functional balance for them.  Like, BUNCHES of perfect.

No I am not thinking of checking collision repair cost figures.  I want to look at frequency and cost of mechanical repairs among the Ford Taurus, Dodge Charger, and Chevrolet Caprice.

And I love the above post just BUNCHES because it fails to mention THE most legendary and most loved police cruiser of all time... the 5.7L B-body Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 1986-1996.

Police officers don't like their Taurus police cars because they can't see out of them and they are too small.  And I will bet you one million doll hairs that these new-age Fords will not be near as durable as the old B-body or the Panther cars.  It practically goes without saying.

Well that will be true of any unibody car these days.... but that means the Caprice and Chargers are in the same boat..... the only B-O-F police vehicle available currently is the Tahoe. 

But what I think we're also seeing is a large switch to SUVs for police vehicles.  The department closest to my house replaced all but one of its sedans with Explorers and the final sedan is a Taurus.  The township I live in (not the closest police station) bought Charger Hemi and Caprice for some unknown reason.... the max speed limit is 40mph and there is only one road you could possibly do higher than that on without ending up in a tree. 

High speed chases are rare anymore.... so 0-60 doesn't really matter.  AWD in the snow matters more. 

The PA State Police STILL have a couple of the last 9C1s in stock.  I doubt the get much on-duty use anymore... but they're still there, painted up and maintained.

• Upvote 1