Chevrolet News:Chevrolet Prices 2016 Malibu Hybrid: Begins At $28,645*

Chevrolet is gearing up to launch its newest hybrid, the Mailbu Hybrid. When it goes on sale in the spring, it will carry a base price of $28,645 (includes a $875 destination charge). Now compared to the standard Malibu, the Hybrid is about $6,145 more. The Malibu Hybrid is also slightly more expensive than the Ford Fusion Hybrid (about $3,000) and Toyota Camry Hybrid (about $2,000).

But the high price does mean a lot of equipment for the hybrid. Standard on all models is 10 airbags, cruise control, push-button start with passive entry, a 7-inch touchscreen with Chevrolet MyLink, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability, and a backup camera.

Power comes from a 1.8L four-cylinder and an electric motor delivering a total output of 181. GM says the Malibu Hybrid is capable of getting 48 MPG in the City/45 MPG on the Highway/41 Combined. This is better than any other midsize hybrid sedan on sale.

Source: Chevrolet

Press Release is on Page 2

NEXT-GEN CHEVROLET MALIBU HYBRID LT STARTS AT $28,645

• Projected to offer 48 MPG city using technologies borrowed from Volt

DETROIT – The 2016 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid LT, which achieves a General Motors’-estimated 48 mpg city, will be available this spring with a starting price of $28,645.
“The Malibu leverages knowledge and technology directly from the second-generation Chevrolet Volt,” said Steve Majoros, marketing director of Chevrolet Cars and Crossovers. “By leveraging technology, we are broadening our level of expertise and lessons learned to bring consumers a world-class hybrid.”
With an all-new, hybrid powertrain that uses a slightly modified drive unit and electric motors used in the 2016 Chevrolet Volt, the Malibu Hybrid offers a GM-estimated 48 mpg city, 45 mpg highway – and 47 mpg combined, unsurpassed in the midsize car segment. Official EPA estimates are pending.
The Malibu Hybrid model includes standard Chevrolet MyLink Radio with 7-inch diagonal color touch screen, available Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, and a rear vision camera. CarPlay and Android Auto are products of Apple and Google and their terms, data plan rates and privacy statements apply and require a compatible smartphone.
Other standard equipment on the Malibu Hybrid includes 10 airbags, cruise control and push-button start with passive entry. Anew Ecotec 1.8L hybrid optimized direct-injected engine is mated with a two-motor electric drive unit.
The 2016 Malibu Hybrid offers several new-to-Malibu safety technologies including Lane Keep Assist, Front Pedestrian Braking and Low Speed Front Automatic Braking. Teen Driver, available on all Malibu models, helps support safe driving habits by muting the audio or any device paired with the vehicle when front-seat occupants aren’t wearing their seat belts. It is also the first in-vehicle system in the industry that lets parents view information on how their teenagers drove the vehicle, which can be a teaching tool to reinforce safe driving habits.
The 2016 Malibu is built at the GM Fairfax Assembly facility, in Kansas City, Kan. from globally sourced parts.

View full article

Over all I am happy for this sedan if it does deliver what GM says it will. 

One thing I do not understand is how does 48 mpg city and 45 mpg highway equal 41 mpg average?

My math says this equal out to 46.5 mpg average.

Malibu hybrid is now a great upsell or down sell from people walking in the door to look at volts

'Do they make a bigger volt"?

"Why yes they do, and it's cheaper, you don't even have to plug it in"

;)

Except the Malibu cannot drive on electric only power for "X" number of miles like the Volt. Two different types of cars IMO.

This comment is more of a collective meh over up-selling hybrid efficiency that all makes do. 

I take all hybrid ratings with a grain of salt. It's largely how you drive the vehicle, more city usually = more efficient.

Even more so, the marginal increase in efficiency equates to peanuts in savings over a competing hybrid unless you keep the vehicle for a long time.

Sure, advertise 45+ mpg combined, but even the now defunct Honda Accord could be beat that on the ratings, yet driven in many ways couldn't follow up that claim.

What's good though is that this vehicle looks the part, but imagine Chevy has traded some go for the sake of some efficiency gains.

1.8L of gas engine sounds pretty gutless to me. But here's the real play. The way this hybrid is equipped, you have to get a $25,000 Malibu, not the base LS.

With OPEC on a industry killing spree - do you really need the efficiency right now?

Or do you haggle off a couple hundred dollars over the other guys by saying this new model is in some ways superior? They're still excellent in their own right.

I just think that electrification needs expensive gas to work, and OPEC knows THAT too.

A 2016 Malibu Hybrid has a 13 gallon tank and advertises 45 miles per gallon. That averages 585 miles per tank. It retails for $30k.

A 1996 Impala SS has a 23 gallon tank and advertises 25 miles per gallon. That averages 575 mile per tank. You can get a gently used one for less than $15k.

I think I will buy myself a 1996 Impala SS sometime next year.

Malibu hybrid is now a great upsell or down sell from people walking in the door to look at volts

;)

Except the Malibu cannot drive on electric only power for "X" number of miles like the Volt. Two different types of cars IMO.

Not exactly the same, but that's my point.  Someone will come in and think 'the volt is too small' and then you just qualify them, do you really need the plug in?  Would a cheaper car with more room make sense to you?

You can snag an electric intender who is not yet ready to pay the full price for a plug in, so chevy can downsell and get those people.  They may not come in wanting a hybrid, but if you show them the plug in and back them down to the hybrid then that MSRP on the Bu Hybrid looks like a bargain, and they haven't compared it to the Fusion or Camry.  Saying it has 'a good part of the same hybrid system as the volt' adds value because its not the same 'low grade hybrid' like the fusion or camry.  

Not everyone who comes in to look at the volt is going to decide they need the plug in.  When you get the people to make the decision, then you can downsell the Malibu and they will think you are giving them more value.

;)

Not exactly the same, but that's my point.  Someone will come in and think 'the volt is too small' and then you just qualify them, do you really need the plug in?  Would a cheaper car with more room make sense to you?

You can snag an electric intender who is not yet ready to pay the full price for a plug in, so chevy can downsell and get those people.  They may not come in wanting a hybrid, but if you show them the plug in and back them down to the hybrid then that MSRP on the Bu Hybrid looks like a bargain, and they haven't compared it to the Fusion or Camry.  Saying it has 'a good part of the same hybrid system as the volt' adds value because its not the same 'low grade hybrid' like the fusion or camry.  

Not everyone who comes in to look at the volt is going to decide they need the plug in.  When you get the people to make the decision, then you can downsell the Malibu and they will think you are giving them more value.

I would imagine that a lot who come in on a Volt also don't know about the additional cost of the faster chargers and then balk. 

;)

Eh, people salient to Toyota hybrids already would not call variations of the Hybrid Synergy Drive low tech at all.

And the Volt in hybrid mode gets abysmal mileage for a hybrid. It's only sell is the electric range.

And Fusion has tech from the Energi, which is a pretty svelte plug-in sedan as well. It doesn't have an epic range, but atleast it still has a conventional sedan shape.

Anyone buying a hybrid right now is really looking at long-term fuel costs and other operating costs. Marketing stunts will not fool anyone.

Value isn't conjured out of thin air, and for hybrids, like I already mentioned competitors cost less, so that's in consideration too.

And hybrid sales everywhere are tanking as well...

This new Malibu looks sort of ugly I think.  $28k for a hybrid seems reasonable, but gas is also dirt cheap right now so why bother buying it.  Might as well just get the regular gas engine.  Should offer all wheel drive, more people want that over hybrid tech.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

This new Malibu looks sort of ugly I think.  $28k for a hybrid seems reasonable, but gas is also dirt cheap right now so why bother buying it.  Might as well just get the regular gas engine.  Should offer all wheel drive, more people want that over hybrid tech.

Yeah, from some angles it looks, different I'll just say.

I really think the next-gen hybrid sedans should be AWD.  The RAV4 hybrid is AWD for example, but there's no mechanical linkage to the rear and the engine.

AWD as well as being the fuel-efficient and performance leader in the line-up is a decent sell.

It's all about what OPEC wants. They want no competition, and definitely, with all this efficiency around the world, not only are they selling oil cheap, they're selling less of it to many markets. 

;)

But then for states with tax breaks like Washington where you pay no sales tax plus alternative fuel tax break and the federal tax break you loose 12,000 in savings. That makes a hard sale to then try and move them to a bigger hybrid that they have to pay sales tax on and does not have a federal credit.

And the Volt in hybrid mode gets abysmal mileage for a hybrid. It's only sell is the electric range.

Where do you get that the VOLT in Hybrid mode gets abysmal mileage?

Green Car reports in real world driving they average 41 MPG in extended range mode. That is pretty awesome.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1096237_2016-chevrolet-volt-50-mile-range-41-mpg-five-seats-all-new-photos

Plug in car says when you take pure electric mode into account with the extended mode you are at a real world of 50mpg.

http://www.plugincars.com/epa-rates-chevy-volt-93-mpg-or-60-mpg-or-35-mpg-depending-106498.html

GM's own VOLT web site is conservative stating an average of 40 mpg.

http://gm-volt.com/chevy-volt-faqs/

No matter how you look at it, the car delivers well on giving great MPG and performance fun.

So how do you state this is abysmal? 

Green Car reports in real world driving they average 41 MPG in extended range mode. That is pretty awesome.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1096237_2016-chevrolet-volt-50-mile-range-41-mpg-five-seats-all-new-photos

Plug in car says when you take pure electric mode into account with the extended mode you are at a real world of 50mpg.

http://www.plugincars.com/epa-rates-chevy-volt-93-mpg-or-60-mpg-or-35-mpg-depending-106498.html

No matter how you look at it, the car delivers well on giving great MPG and performance fun.

Abysmal for a hybrid mode. I'm not talking about when it's a series electric vehicle. That part is awesome.  

Anyone who doesn't charge the Volt often or doesn't at all, won't get the main benefit, and should buy a proper hybrid.

"Why yes they do, and it's cheaper, you don't even have to plug it in" ;)

Not exactly the same, but that's my point. Someone will come in and think 'the volt is too small' and then you just qualify them, do you really need the plug in? Would a cheaper car with more room make sense to you?

You can snag an electric intender who is not yet ready to pay the full price for a plug in, so chevy can downsell and get those people. They may not come in wanting a hybrid, but if you show them the plug in and back them down to the hybrid then that MSRP on the Bu Hybrid looks like a bargain, and they haven't compared it to the Fusion or Camry. Saying it has 'a good part of the same hybrid system as the volt' adds value because its not the same 'low grade hybrid' like the fusion or camry.

Not everyone who comes in to look at the volt is going to decide they need the plug in. When you get the people to make the decision, then you can downsell the Malibu and they will think you are giving them more value.

I would imagine that a lot who come in on a Volt also don't know about the additional cost of the faster chargers and then balk.

Exactly.

Remember , malibu has 'the same technology' as the volt, and you don't need to spend extra on a charger to save gas!

Edited by regfootball

Let me cut through the collective bulls $h! here and get this back to reality. Haters are just going to hate.

The Malibu is a bigger deal than most people realize. This is a well build excellect perfroming Hybrid. It has looks that are as good as any normal car and better than most. It also is priced to sell.  This car if marketed well should make a major splash in the segment.

​You then look at Chevy that will be offering a Bolt. Malibu Hybrid and Volt it will have something to match or beat most other brands in price and performance. These cars will reach out to many who would never consider Chevy before because they had nothing to offer in their price range.

Now watch as this technology will advance and grow as it is added to models at Buick and Cadillac where their price points can offer even more range and better performance.

​Moving forward the auto industry is not going to be all electric like some Tesla Zealots like to profess. The future will be made up of a combination of ICE, Diesel, Hybrid and EV vehicles. There is no one silver bullet barring any unforeseen developments at this point and it will take a combination of these to satisfy the public as a whole. GM has it going right now and if they can advance these technologies they will be a major player for a long time to come.

​I really see these new technology vehicles bringing in new customers who what more than what a Prius offers. Many buy it because it was the best one and at for a while really the only option out there. The offering of more room and non bad science experiment styling will go a long way to lure customers into giving this car a try. GM really just needs to get the word out and people into the show room.

GM also needs to do as they are now with the Volt and focus this on the markets that buy these kinds of cars first. If you can make this popular in California it will grow and expand to other markets.

I bet the Hybrid has less than a 10% take rate and probably more like 6% take rate. So not a lot of sales, not going g to get people excited about a Malibu or bring them in the showroom. If fuel economy was the #1 concern of most buyers the top selling vehicles would not be pick ups and SUVs.

• Agree 1

Let me cut through the collective bulls $h! here and get this back to reality. Haters are just going to hate.

The Malibu is a bigger deal than most people realize. This is a well build excellect perfroming Hybrid. It has looks that are as good as any normal car and better than most. It also is priced to sell.  This car if marketed well should make a major splash in the segment.

​You then look at Chevy that will be offering a Bolt. Malibu Hybrid and Volt it will have something to match or beat most other brands in price and performance. These cars will reach out to many who would never consider Chevy before because they had nothing to offer in their price range.

Now watch as this technology will advance and grow as it is added to models at Buick and Cadillac where their price points can offer even more range and better performance.

​Moving forward the auto industry is not going to be all electric like some Tesla Zealots like to profess. The future will be made up of a combination of ICE, Diesel, Hybrid and EV vehicles. There is no one silver bullet barring any unforeseen developments at this point and it will take a combination of these to satisfy the public as a whole. GM has it going right now and if they can advance these technologies they will be a major player for a long time to come.

​I really see these new technology vehicles bringing in new customers who what more than what a Prius offers. Many buy it because it was the best one and at for a while really the only option out there. The offering of more room and non bad science experiment styling will go a long way to lure customers into giving this car a try. GM really just needs to get the word out and people into the show room.

GM also needs to do as they are now with the Volt and focus this on the markets that buy these kinds of cars first. If you can make this popular in California it will grow and expand to other markets.

Moving forward the auto industry is not going to be all electric like some Tesla Zealots like to profess.

irony.jpeg

With Porsche saying that their sports car sedan 100% EV will be achieving 310 miles until the battery drains and Tesla's own Model S has 265 mile range and in very optimal conditions may hit 300 miles and technologies that allow wireless charging along with super powerful chargers themselves improving charge times (Porsche is boasting a 80% battery refill in 20 minutes...) Im not too sure about your perception of the future being 100% accurate...

And the reason why Im being picky on you....is because you started your argument very arrogantly hatin' on so called haterz while you yourself is hatin' on "Tesla zealots...

Now...you may be correct that there is not just one solution to the battery/EV engineering dilemma....more than one way to skin a cat type deal...and I may agree with you that a GM Voltec solution is a mighty one and one that will probably exist and continue to improve and challenge 100% pure electrics....but...please....dont behave like all electrics and batteries and superchargers and wireless charging will not improve either...

You know...Montreal to Boston takes me about 5 hours....at 100 KPH..that equates to approximately 500 kilometers...or...in miles if you want...at 65 MPH...that would take me about 4.75 hours...which is 308 miles...

And if you google to see the distance between Montreal to Boston:

4 h 49 min (494.6 km) via I-89 S
4 h 58 min (514.9 km) via I-93 S
5 h 48 min (546.1 km) via I-89 S and I-91 S

and Boston to Montreal

4 h 51 min (307.2 mi) via I-89 N
5 h (319.2 mi) via I-93 N
5 h 47 min (338.5 mi) via I-91 N and I-89 N

Yeah...optimal conditions...a Porsche or even the Tesla takes me to Boston directly....ALMOST...

You may laugh at this....but...a full tank full of gas in ANY car that I have ever owned took me to Boston and then I had to fill up in Boston...so....its the charge times that plays a difference...but...have you calculated how much time it actually takes to fill up an empty tank to a very full tank?

It actually does take 3-5 minutes...so...20 minutes for 80%...you know...that gap is closing pretty quickly...isnt it?

No...we are not there yet...but range anxiety  on a Tesla or that Porsche as we speak is just a mild concern rather than full blown anxiety...therefore...your own zealousness for hatin' on Tesla zealots clouds your otherwise sound argument...

Edited by oldshurst442

Imagine the game changer the volt would be if it had 150 mile plug in range. Wow

... that's called the Bolt.

bolt has no range extender, fairly useless for a trip vehicle if your mom is 300 miles away.  200 miles on the bolt is great but a plug in that you could do at least 100-150 miles + range extender will still be the way to go for a long time.

Edited by regfootball

I bet the Hybrid has less than a 10% take rate and probably more like 6% take rate. So not a lot of sales, not going g to get people excited about a Malibu or bring them in the showroom. If fuel economy was the #1 concern of most buyers the top selling vehicles would not be pick ups and SUVs.

5% of 200,000 is 10,000 that would be a good chunk of the mazda6 production

And that is the thing...if I wanted to get off of oil 100%, why would I bother with a Volt, or Malibu hybrid?

Those cars wont get me to Boston on electric power alone anyway...Id have to use gasoline...yeah I know...the gasoline engine acts like a generator...recharging the battery...the thing is...I STILL USE GASOLINE....I WANT TO GET OFF OF GASOLINE...THAT is the premise with a Tesla...it aint about Tesla enthusiasts being zealous...

Trust me...even in 2015...Id bite the bullet for 40 minutes to charge my Model S to get to Boston without any gasoline usage...

I have an advantage of this kind of thought process...I live in Montreal...Quebec...

We have relatively cheap electricity....and our electricity is as clean and green as it gets...

I understand other parts of North America dont have this luxury...

Like we said...there is more than one way to skin a cat...

And seeing how my partner is off of oil 100% with a car that is pure adrenaline to drive...Im kinda jealous...

Edited by oldshurst442

5% of 200,000 is 10,000 that would be a good chunk of the mazda6 production

Consider this one may sell even better because it is a much better car.

The Camry Hybrid runs a 10-12% take rate, and Toyota is the #1 hybrid brand.  Given that number, I would be surprised if the Malibu Hybrid has more than 10% take rate.    The majority of buyers are still not willing to pay a premium for hybrid or electric technology since gas is so cheap and most mid size sedans are in the 30s in mpg anyway.  

What makes Tesla different is it is a performance car.  You can buy a Tesla SUV (after sitting on the waiting list) that can accelerate as fast as a Corvette Z06.  Think about that for minute.   Tesla works because not only do you never have to go to a gas station, you have Ferrari level acceleration as well.   And for all the concerns of it takes 1 hour to recharge if on a trip, a lot of people don't take long car trips.  Plus think of how much time is spend by people in gas stations (and driving to them) even at 10 minutes a week, that is 520 minutes a year, nearly 10 hours of time standing in a gas station, vs plugging your car in to the garage outlet.  A Tesla provides convenience of never having to go to a gas station.  

• Agree 1

Tesla Zealots.

Well how about this one... I've already mentioned plenty of times how I don't like electric vehicles or hybrids.

So much for that one. Haterz of this car? Nah, I just mentioned how all hybrids and EVs sales are going down the drain. But if you want to invite Tesla then by all means.  

• Agree 1

I just can't understand why people think this car is so special.

It's not. It's just another competitive midsize sedan hybrid. And most other midsize sedan hybrids are cheaper to start out. If a person is truly looking at a vehicle for the sake of it being miserly, they'll do the math to figure out at how many miles it'll take for this vehicle's premium over others on it's gas savings to get paid off.

At these gas prices and OPEC being how they are, you can expect atleast a good portion of a lease being gifted with low gas prices in the short-term.

And to suggest that this vehicle is somehow tremendously better built than a Fusion or Accord Hybrid, that's just insane. At most it's equal or slightly better than the older Ford. But not by some margin that somehow makes this vehicle a luxury car in comparison.

And in base trims - C/D was pretty straightforward. This isn't a Buick, it's a Chevy. You get what you pay for. 

Tesla Zealots.

Well how about this one... I've already mentioned plenty of times how I don't like electric vehicles or hybrids.

So much for that one. Haterz of this car? Nah, I just mentioned how all hybrids and EVs sales are going down the drain. But if you want to invite Tesla then by all means.  

Just maybe it's not all about you????

Just because you state Zealots does not mean they are posting on the thread!

Now for your statement here prove it.....  It is a slow growth segment and more are offered now than ever and a variation of them will have to be employed unless you want to live with a 2 cylinder Spark to meet government regulations. These people are not going to back off CAFE.

You have been around here long enough to know that.

It's not. It's just another competitive midsize sedan hybrid. And most other midsize sedan hybrids are cheaper to start out. If a person is truly looking at a vehicle for the sake of it being miserly, they'll do the math to figure out at how many miles it'll take for this vehicle's premium over others on it's gas savings to get paid off.

At these gas prices and OPEC being how they are, you can expect atleast a good portion of a lease being gifted with low gas prices in the short-term.

And to suggest that this vehicle is somehow tremendously better built than a Fusion or Accord Hybrid, that's just insane. At most it's equal or slightly better than the older Ford. But not by some margin that somehow makes this vehicle a luxury car in comparison.

And in base trims - C/D was pretty straightforward. This isn't a Buick, it's a Chevy. You get what you pay for. 

Why it is in the most popular highest volume segment getting MPG greater than just about anything else and it is not priced over $30K when the average price of a car let alone hybrid is over $35K.

​Well the sun may be shinning on the low gas prices now but that could change in the matter of day if not hours once OPEC stops flooding the market to drive the new oil out and bring back their oil at their prices.

​The regulation are there and even the Republicans now say they will not back them off into the future. So do you really think GM can average 53 MPG with out the use of just small cars alone? If you want anything of greater size and not limited in price or of higher cost you will need to find different ways to gain MPG.

As for better I would expect it to be better than any of the older models. The weight savings alone of 300 pounds is amazing in this segment as no one else has done it to this point. Weight savings is tought to do and not add to the price or compromise strength, stiffness and safety.  It adds more performance, better handling and better stopping. Cutting mass does more than adding any kind of HP Lotus taught us that years ago but they never got the reliability part down.

The whole point here is to offer a car that get good MPG, Safe, looks good, has good utility features and room for 5 comfortably All at a price that most families can afford at least the ones not buying CUV models now.

This is not a sport sedan nor is it intended to compete with any other upscale brand. It has a main job to target Toyota, Honda and Ford. It has the tools to do that. It may not be the class leader in sales but if marketed and priced right it should be in the top three. With the better transaction prices GM should make good money here and sell a lot of cars.

Also cutting of the fleet sales has helped resale values on many models and this one is already targeted to continue to avoid large fleet sales. The old car will carry that on for a while longer and eat the resale hit.

If you want to not like this car that is fine. But to dis this car with false statements is just a difficult way to present opposition. You know you are not speaking to an average group of auto observers here and most of us know better. So if you want to play that card save it for the novice.

Just maybe it's not all about you????

Just because you state Zealots does not mean they are posting on the thread!

If you want to not like this car that is fine. But to dis this car with false statements is just a difficult way to present opposition. You know you are not speaking to an average group of auto observers here and most of us know better. So if you want to play that card save it for the novice.

My my my Hyper...the absolutes and the hypocrisy from you is unreal....and that is why you have me on your ignore list...because YOU camt stand when I point it out and let you have it...

But its OK...others read it...

You diss Suave....you tell him its OK to NOT like the Malibu...and yet YOU have a closed mind on Tesla...

YOU hate on Tesla zealots...

YOU are the one to say stuff like Elon Musk has an ego problem because he has a vision and that vision does NOT coincide with what YOUR utopia is...

YOU said it yourself...on the Malibu...yet YOU dont realize how THAT opinion also FAVORS Tesla...yey YOU are the one to say Tesla is not part of our future and 100% electrics either...

This is not a sport sedan nor is it intended to compete with any other upscale brand. It has a main job to target Toyota, Honda and Ford. It has the tools to do that. It may not be the class leader in sales but if marketed and priced right it should be in the top three. With the better transaction prices GM should make good money here and sell a lot of cars.

The Tesla IS a sports sedan...it IS meant to be fast...it IS meant to compete with the luxury cars and it IS making Tesla money...Tesla is bleeding money because of Tesla's other projects....not because the Model S is not a money maker...

Hyper...I like your way of thinking....its your arrogance I dont like...

First of all...

Where is YOUR proof that 100% electrics WONT be the end all solution all for ALL electric vehicles...

With 100% electrics getting close to 300 miles on one battery charge...which is basically  the average range of a full tank of gas on regular gasoline powered cars...alls is left is for the charging systems to fall and compete with gas pump times...but as SMK pointed out...MOST of the time...a Tesla is PLUGGED in AT HOME...THERE goes YOUR argument...

AND for long trips...MOST people dont do that either anymore....but...there is a solution...wireless recharging on the go...

The gasoline prices will eventually go up...and will probably go down again...

WHO CARES FOR THAT???!!!

It really is a question if an individual really wants to go gasoline free or not...

The Tesla is a sound solution...but its expensive...

The Volt or Hybrid sedans are a good solution too...as the range of batteries of these cars goes up...so does the independence for gasoline use...

Economics of the differences between the price of gas versus the price of the hybrid sedan versus the price of the gasoline version of the sedan be damned...in 2015....its all about how serious is a buyer to getting off of oil...

Edited by oldshurst442

It's special to me because it actually might be a competitive hybrid sedan from GM. I look at their last two attempts with Malibu (with the mild hybrid system) and they were terrible. At least this sedan might have a chance of being decent.

How many they'll actually sell... Not many, I would expect.

Where I live...in Montreal,Quebec, Canada...Id suspect the Malibu Hybrid will sell pretty well...

Why?

1. The 1st gen Volt sold quite well

2. The 2nd gen Volt seems to be selling quite well

3. Camry Hybrids and even Altima Hybrids from almost a decade ago have sold decently...

4. The current Fusion Hybrid is a success.

Its a safe bet to put your money on the Malibu Hybrid on it being a success in Quebec...

Anywhere else in North America....I have no clue...in my neck of the woods...success...

http://www.hybridcars.com/erick-belmers-chevy-volt-traveled-its-100000th-all-electric-mile-today/

Malibu hybrid is a 3/4 step to the full volt powertrain.  Electric with gas range extender will be the way to for the majority of folks as they get into electrification.

And this is an example why, people love their volt with plug in and gas range extender

I see in 3 years or so, this Malibu might adopt the full voltec, maybe not in its current shape, but clearly at some point voltec has to meet the midsize market and I believe it will succeed.

This is precisely why I don't give a crapola about tesla until they sell 30,000 dollar cars to the masses.

That means also Reg...that you dont care for Ferarris, Lambos, Bentleys...and even Cadilllacs...as those cars are not in the 30 000 dollar price range...

And I dont know you long enough to have read your other posts in Cheers and Gears...but if you have given ANY level of enthusiasm for ANY car above 30 000 dollars...that would make you a hypocrite...

A Tesla Model S is not meant for the masses...a Tesla is meant for somebody who has the means to buy one...

Just like how the first and second and third and even fourth generations of the automobile 120 some odd years ago...

Its a LUXURY STATUS symbol....just like a Cadillac...even a Buick...hell...even an Oldsmobile in 2004..

What Im trying to say is that...its a pretty crummy reason to hate on Tesla just because you camt afford one...sour grapes on your part...

Why it is in the most popular highest volume segment getting MPG greater than just about anything else and it is not priced over $30K when the average price of a car let alone hybrid is over $35K.

​Well the sun may be shinning on the low gas prices now but that could change in the matter of day if not hours once OPEC stops flooding the market to drive the new oil out and bring back their oil at their prices.

​The regulation are there and even the Republicans now say they will not back them off into the future. So do you really think GM can average 53 MPG with out the use of just small cars alone? If you want anything of greater size and not limited in price or of higher cost you will need to find different ways to gain MPG.

As for better I would expect it to be better than any of the older models. The weight savings alone of 300 pounds is amazing in this segment as no one else has done it to this point. Weight savings is tought to do and not add to the price or compromise strength, stiffness and safety.  It adds more performance, better handling and better stopping. Cutting mass does more than adding any kind of HP Lotus taught us that years ago but they never got the reliability part down.

The whole point here is to offer a car that get good MPG, Safe, looks good, has good utility features and room for 5 comfortably All at a price that most families can afford at least the ones not buying CUV models now.

Also cutting of the fleet sales has helped resale values on many models and this one is already targeted to continue to avoid large fleet sales. The old car will carry that on for a while longer and eat the resale hit.

The funniest thing is, that you believe I don't like this car. You can go check in the recent C/D test thread, where I did do say I like the new Malibu. I like it. But it's not spectacular. It's no Mazda 6. It's toe-to-toe with Accord and fresher and maybe a nibble better than a Fusion. 

All I'm saying is that there's a large price premium over other hybrids, and you could probably haggle of even more on those too. That's pretty significant. You're paying more for less value unless you have a very long ownership in mind. 

If it's weight savings really panned out the light Malibu, would crush the Accord V6 in 0-60 and Chevy's 2.0T with 8 Speeds wouldn't suck gas just like any other turbo engine hounded by the press.

Again, do the math. Someone find out how long it would actually take for the price premium to be paid off. Are you really telling me people buy hybrids because of intagibles like marketing? Fair point, Toyota has cornered the most, but for those who discriminate, wouldn't they do the math?

And I'm going by MT's logic. Whenever they did a diesel vs gas engine car comparo they quote the recent monthly average or so of national prices. But they aren't novices. 

You can call me what you like, because I don't bite. Anyways It's a good car, but in a sea of goodness, it's hard to look exceptional.

With a couple options the Malibu hybrid is going to be over $30k.  I think size creep hurts a lot of these sedans.  The Cruze is now like 185 inches long, Malibu like 193, they keep getting bigger and the price keeps going up.  The Cruze is now sized and priced like a Malibu was 10-15 years ago.  I don't get why car makers always try to push cars up market.  Cadillac did it with the CTS, the establish "CTS" as entry level, then all of a sudden they want it to be mid-level.  Buyers don't want to pay mid-level price for and entry level name plate.

Chevy should dump the "Spark" name, rename it Sonic, the gamma platform car becomes the Cruze, Delta platform becomes Malibu, and Epsilon car becomes Impala.  That way you are charging like $15-22k for a Cruze, $19-27k for a Malibu, $26-33k for an Impala.  Those are good values for the name plate.  The size creep that happens will make the next gen Epsion car like 195 inches long anyway.  You don't need a 200 inch long Impala at that point and you have the Lacrosse for a full size car.

Another reason the Malibu hybrid may do better than many think.  The base engine is only moderate performance.  The hybrid is a way to step up in acceleration but not spend to go all the way up to the 2.0.  Its like a defacto midlevel engine choice.

Chevy isn't the first to do that. The Camry hybrid and Accord Hybrid (now defunct) run 0-60 in the low 7s.

But I'll never understand the hyprocrisy of quoting a hybrid for brisk acceleration that only degrades it's true metric of performance of intended function - efficiency.

Why not make some crossover hybrids since they get worse fuel economy to start, they could use the bump, and it would give a bigger advantage.  If the Equinox got 36 mpg city vs 23 for the other guys that is a huge advantage.   The other guys have hybrid sedans already, and they don't sell.  5-10% take rate on the Malibu hybrid, that doesn't really move the needle too much.  And probably half that 5-10% would have bought a Malibu anyway.  I think all wheel drive would bring in more buyers than a hybrid would.

Why not make some crossover hybrids since they get worse fuel economy to start, they could use the bump, and it would give a bigger advantage.  If the Equinox got 36 mpg city vs 23 for the other guys that is a huge advantage.   The other guys have hybrid sedans already, and they don't sell.  5-10% take rate on the Malibu hybrid, that doesn't really move the needle too much.  And probably half that 5-10% would have bought a Malibu anyway.  I think all wheel drive would bring in more buyers than a hybrid would.

Yeah, and some recent new crossovers are pretty aerodynamic as well. Cost might be a reason, but then there's a RAV4 hybrid, which makes perfect sense, and Ford did the bewildering thing of relinquishing the segment that it utterly owned with a wrought, I mean err.. cast aluminum fist.

Fusion hybrid is decent in sales and so the Camry. And this product will surely sell. I'm not confusing sales for the merits of the vehicle folks.

But it's merits are again a wash. You pay more up front, but that only means it has to fit your expected service life to make sense. Otherwise over the efficiency ratings people should actually be indifferent and just buy the vehicle for other features they are more salient to, and potentially offering better incentives like manufacturer rebates for being an older in-stock unit. I'll give Fusion a clean win in style, with the Accord props for livability with excellent visibility. 

I think there should be a Malibu hybrid, as others in the segment have it, and the Mazda 6 does not but it has the i-e-loop thing with capacitors that acts as a mild hybrid system.  That actually makes the most sense for fuel economy gain in a cheap fashion without adding much weight either.  Ford, Toyota, Hyundai have hybrids, so Chevy needs one too.  I just don't think it is anything to be excited about.  

Let's see 30 mpg city on the Silverado, that is something to get excited about since it is their number 1 selling vehicle and it would actually help the push to meet CAFE and trump the F150.

The funniest thing is, that you believe I don't like this car. You can go check in the recent C/D test thread, where I did do say I like the new Malibu. I like it. But it's not spectacular. It's no Mazda 6. It's toe-to-toe with Accord and fresher and maybe a nibble better than a Fusion. 

All I'm saying is that there's a large price premium over other hybrids, and you could probably haggle of even more on those too. That's pretty significant. You're paying more for less value unless you have a very long ownership in mind. 

If it's weight savings really panned out the light Malibu, would crush the Accord V6 in 0-60 and Chevy's 2.0T with 8 Speeds wouldn't suck gas just like any other turbo engine hounded by the press.

Again, do the math. Someone find out how long it would actually take for the price premium to be paid off. Are you really telling me people buy hybrids because of intagibles like marketing? Fair point, Toyota has cornered the most, but for those who discriminate, wouldn't they do the math?

And I'm going by MT's logic. Whenever they did a diesel vs gas engine car comparo they quote the recent monthly average or so of national prices. But they aren't novices. 

You can call me what you like, because I don't bite. Anyways It's a good car, but in a sea of goodness, it's hard to look exceptional.

Your words and my words are there and other can judge for themselves.