Continental Uncovered

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I think I figured out the one thing missing from this car..something that make it look a little too bland or something. The doors/side are very flat. There are no body creases that show flow or anything(the s-class is kind of what I'm basing this off of). Without anything on the doors they just look too large and bland. Other than that, I dig the looks. 

Well I guess one of my main fears for this car has come true.  The wheelbase has shrunk substantially, and it looks to all have come from the front wheels.  Even with the larger wheels on the concept, they were almost entirely ahead of the base of the windshield.  This is a substantial factor into why the concept's proportions look so good in spite of being front wheel drive based.   On this prototype, the wheels appear to have shifted rearward by a good 3 to 4 inches.  The rear wheels seem to have just about stayed put... maybe moved forward very slightly in relation to the roof-line.

I like that they've kept the overall look, but the side profile view with the wheelbase shrinkage really tempers my enthusiasm. 

• Agree 1

Well I guess one of my main fears for this car has come true.  The wheelbase has shrunk substantially, and it looks to all have come from the front wheels.  Even with the larger wheels on the concept, they were almost entirely ahead of the base of the windshield.  This is a substantial factor into why the concept's proportions look so good in spite of being front wheel drive based.   On this prototype, the wheels appear to have shifted rearward by a good 3 to 4 inches.  The rear wheels seem to have just about stayed put... maybe moved forward very slightly in relation to the roof-line.

I like that they've kept the overall look, but the side profile view with the wheelbase shrinkage really tempers my enthusiasm. 

I had to look at them side by side but there is definitely something about the front end that doesn't look as impressive. I think some of it is wheel well/wheel size. The concept had larger wheels in what looked like larger wheel wells too. Even if you threw on larger wheels in this prototype they would fill the wheel well but still wouldn't be as large as the concept.  The more I look at them the less I see the front overhang grow and I see more rear overhang grow but I think it looks worse than it is because of the wheels/wheel well size is different. 

It could be wheel size, but even then, a smaller wheel would have its trailing edge further ahead of the base of the windshield, not further behind.  This is what indicates wheelbase shrinkage to me.

To me, it does look like the trailing edge was moved marginally forward though.. It could also be that I WANT it to have moved forward so I'm looking at it with a skewed perspective. But I really don't see it moved back like you're suggesting. But looking at the body work behing the wheel and before the door suggests you are correct because it looks nearly identical 4-5 inches or so but with smaller wheels. 

This actually makes me think the whole car shrunk down some. 

Edited by ccap41

I was looking at the spy shots, and I too could not put my finger on it why I thought the silhouette of the car looks dated. Then when I read Drew's and CCAP's observations it became  apparent to me why I think the silhouette looks dated...because I share their sentiments...

I like the grill, the headlights, the  taillights. But that silhouette, I cant get passed that dated look...

I even analyzed the hood area...and THAT too, looks dated...Ive seen it before...and I see it daily me thinks...

lincoln-continental-spy-shots-006-1.jpg

lincoln-continental-spy-shots-002-1.jpg

2013-Ford-Fusion-front-end.jpg

sddefault.jpg

Let me explain with that visual help...

1. On top of the headlights of both Fusion and Conti...

Both have similar air flow qualities...that are designed to flow the width of the headlights, on top of the hood along the side of the body below side windows....and on the hood itself, it bulges to make that valley so the air could flow...

To boot, the Conti's, hood looks bland compared to the Fusion's, same air flow valley bulges for both, but the Conti stops having any other hood definitions, at least the Fusion has more elegant creases on the hood to make it interesting...

2. On top of the grill, both cars have a similar lip before the hood starts, same rounded bulge...

3. maybe to side mirrors of the Conti will change...but crikey...same bloody design in the spy shot car!!!

Those 3 points would be other reasons why I think the Conti looks dated...it resembles my wife's 2013 Fusion...

I sooooooo want to like this car....I soooooo want Lincoln to have  success  with this car...*SIGH*....FoMoCo really is making it hard for Lincoln to succeed...and Mullaly is looong gone...so what gives???!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

I keep on saying this...its a big bloody shame when an average Joe, run of the mill, family hauler, looks the part of an expensive VIP sedan from an average Joe brand than all of the corporate brother's luxury brand's models'...including the so called game changer new vehicle from that luxury brand...

We'll this is an interesting comparison.

post-12-0-97297900-1450294027_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-71149300-1450294029_thumb.jpg

I see what everyone is talking about. Either they have really hidden the body lines with the funky camo or they really screwed the pooch and have taken a cheap approach to what should have been a major reboot of Lincoln.

-447045998-1427912712946.jpg

I analyzed the hood area some more...

Boy did they cheapen out the design...

I LOOOOVE the way that airflow valley is designed in my Fusion and on the Conti Concept...which should translate well on the spy shot car...but...on the spy shot car, FoMoCo took a 2013 design from a Ford Fusion instead of doing it the Lincoln way as its on the concept...

The air flow aerodynamics on the Concept really starts on the bumper on top of that LED strip light and is part of the fender which envelops the whole headlight system and is directed to the back below the side windows on to the back end of the car...as opposed to the Fusion and the spy shot car where the aerodynamic airflow starts from the headlights...BIG DETAIL that is missing... THAT is the difference between elegance for luxury name plate and mainstream  for plebeian average Joe family haulin duties ..

And the lip on top of the grill...there is NO LIP that bulges roundly and then the hood starts leaving a gap between the hood and the front bumper clip...it really is an elegant hood on the Concept that is surrounded by sheet metal that seals itself shut with tight tolerances where the hood line follows through with the airflow line instead of it being like a Ford Fusion hood where the whole top rises and lowers...

Cadillac does it this way...the Concept Conti follows that form...but not the spy shot car...another luxury elegant feature that has been cheapened out by FoMoCo for Lincoln...

2014-cadillac-cts_100423338_l.jpg

To boot, the CTS's aerodynamic air flow are exactly like how the Concept Conti is...it starts form the bumper, over the whole headlight system and on to the back and the lines are carried through from the bottom of the side windpws...and on top of the grill, that lip, does not look like a cheap feature as you would find on a more utilitarian vehicle...

In 2015, where gadgets and leather is found on 20 000 dollar cars, it really is the little details that represent luxury...

I hope Lincoln people figure this out soon...

Edited by oldshurst442

We'll this is an interesting comparison.

attachicon.giflincolncontinentalconcept-01-front-5782740774027484240.jpg

attachicon.giflincoln-continental-spy-shots-002-1.jpg

I see what everyone is talking about. Either they have really hidden the body lines with the funky camo or they really screwed the pooch and have taken a cheap approach to what should have been a major reboot of Lincoln.

Thank you for posting this. I couldn't because I'm at work and it's just a pain.

But that front wheel well curve to the hood is what bothers me the most. The concept it is more flattened out and the camo pic it looks like it is a lot taller before bending over to the hood. The concept seems to lean towards the hood right away where the camo car it seems to go upward a decent amount before bending towards the hood..

I know I kind of repeated myself but I'm just not sure if I worded it very clear.. 

I see what Drew is seeing. It's changes in numerous dimensions- the pics dfelt posted, same angle, and the proportions of the windshield have changed to narrower & taller.

I hope to hell at least there's some sort of compelling engineering reasoning, rather than even a human hair's connection to the so-called 'CUV craze' that keeps making everything taller & taller.

From the pics here, IMO, what had true potential to make inroads is going to be largely an also-ran. 

Edited by balthazar

Well yeah, FWD proportions and their economy car roots can ruin a promise.

In its defense, slab sides help make the '61 Continental a lasting classic, although I don't believe this new one will come close in its wildest dreams of matching that car in any conceivable way, shape or form.

I also like the taillight cluster, brings to mind Lincolns of the past... for me it is the Mark VIII.  And the door handles are cute.

Sigh, that's all I got to defend it at this early juncture.

I'm liking it.  

Do you like it more or less than the concept? 

I feel the same. Peel the camo off and show it in production form ( tail light alignment etc ) and I'd have a more definite answer for you. 

I do do like the concepts larger wheel well cut outs and rim size more so than this mule/pre production camo car though. 

Based on the Cameo, it looks like it lost plenty of desire to now be only an also ran. I hope I am wrong but my gut tells me that FORD screwed this one up. They should have kept to the concept more.

• Agree 1

I completely agree!

I am surprised that FordCosworth hasn't posted in this thread yet.  Leaves us to wonder if he likes it or not.

"I'm liking it. "

Top post on the second page, brah. lol

Yes and it is also post #3 on the first page:  "I'm liking this design!"  :AH-HA:

I am surprised that FordCosworth hasn't posted in this thread yet.  Leaves us to wonder if he likes it or not.

"I'm liking it. "

Yes and it is also post #3 on the first page:  "I'm liking this design!"  :AH-HA:

Ahhhh internet sarcasm.. haha It can be tough to pick up someitmes!   :retard:

• Agree 1

"I'm liking it. "

Under the definition of the word "redundancy" it says "see redundant" (credit to the late great Robin Williams there). LOL!

• Agree 2

And coming soon, shiny wood trim. Seems to be targeting the same folks as the LaCrosse (although the LaCrosse interior looks "sleeker" and more upscale in that pic).

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-lincoln-continental-interior-spied-with-shiny-wood-trim/

2017-Lincoln-Continental-Prototype-Inter

2017-buick-lacrosse-reveal-interior-17BU

Edited by surreal1272

Ugh... Not a fan of the shiny wood. It just looks so much cheaper than aluminum or a matte finish to me.

Not a fan either and overall the spy shot does not make the interior of the Conti look very "upscale" but I don't put too much stock into spy shots honestly. Not digging the top of the center stack though or the blockish look around the gauges.

The interior is another disappointment for me.  I was hoping, honestly, for a more boudoir-themed interior, like the concept.  A missed opportunity for Lincoln, imo, to give the customer something different, something traditional, something quietly luxurious.

The Buick blows it away with elegance, style and simplicity, while giving the driver all the amenities of a modern premium automobile.  They've learned well from the button-happy missteps of the past.

Edited by ocnblu

They should price the Continental the same as the MKS is now.  $40-49k seems reasonable, even with 400 hp this car won't be worth $50k.

They should price the Continental the same as the MKS is now.  $40-49k seems reasonable, even with 400 hp this car won't be worth $50k.

They should not

They should not

:wavey:

They should not

They should not

The MKS starts at $39k and $46k with ecoboost.  I thought it was a little more than that actually, but that car has no sales volume at all.  Maybe a $3k price increase over the MKS, but you can't go crazy on price, no one is bought the MKS, or the Continental before that.  No one is buying a $60k Continental.

Can't I like both?

Yes you may.

Well it is a real life photo, not a image processed and refined to look great in a press release.

I am underwhelmed everywhere so far with this. Maybe fully uncovered it'll be better.

I do though like the wood trim, it looks just like the base model S-Class wood trim. And I like shiny, like Jaguar's or Volvo's transmission toggles/dials.

The front end - they should have kept the inlaid hood. Moving the cut-line back is a very premium design trend, and it's one that Lincoln should have kept.

The problem I see with this car is that there will be demure versions of it. That's not what I expected. I expected more to compensate for some of the shortcuts taken.

In any case, it's clear that it doesn't bode well for Lincoln upsetting any future Volvos. And the new Lacrosse looks to be a formidable competitor in many ways even though some say they just don't compete (some reasons which I agree with), it's the Cadillac CT6 or Genesis G90 to Lincoln's S-Class.

And finally a part of me really wanted the blue interior to make it to production. It's not like other's don't have it, the CTS has a blue option...but it really looked nice. Nice as in one of the few tasteful ways of having blingy chrome. Almost Escalade bling nice if it made it to production.

I really like that interior!

Is it better than this one? 

001-2017-mercedes-e-class-interior-1.jpg

Actually....I dont like that interior...

What I dont like about it:

1. Holy  liquid crystals Batman...that speedometer looks like a Playstation Gran Turismo  video game cluster...its effin cheesy if you ask me...

257480-h1.jpg

And yes...Ive seen one live...it looks worse up close and personal...

2. too many lines and diamonds in the design in the wood grain and the seat leather making it look busy rather than elegant...

It makes me dizzy just looking at it...There was a link about how M-B is going on with this....and probably many people will adore this...I for one cant stand it...

Im sure the quality of the materials are great...and the colour combo is chosen by the customer...so Im leaving that colour combo alone...but it aint my cup of tea that choice of brown...I dont have a problem with that brown really, but for me, that white dont go with that brown...and then there is that black...too many colours that dont blend well...but like I said...this is more of a customization thing...

It really is not fair to compare the S Class interior with the Continental interior...because the S Class is that much of a bigger car, wider...

The Continental's interior looks cramped as its based on a mid-sized car that will be enlarged to what will barely make it to full size , from the Fusion platform...

The S-Class really is of Land Yacht proportions making that "sleek" interior look vast...which makes a huuuuuge difference in perception of luxury....

The Conti's interior and the Lacrosse's interior are fine for what price range they are in...Im not in awe of them, but Im not a hater of them either.

Edited by oldshurst442

But it is not an S-class interior.  It is the new E-class interior, and has 64 different interior ambient lighting colors to pick from.   For starting at $50-something  You can get this, and option it up with the 1,350 watt Burmeister Audio, and it will park itself in your garage without you in it.   Why bother with a Continental, or 5-series, CTS, A6, etc. 002-2017-mercedes-e-class-interior-1.jpg

Edited by smk4565