Continental Uncovered

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

That's not the interior you get for $50k.... particularly since the new E-class will start around $54k..... that isn't even the $54k interior.... and then to even get real leather instead of vinyl seats in your $54k car you'll need to spend at minimum $1,600 more.

• Agree 1

Sorry, I thought it was the S Class. I forgot that M-B wants to do LCDs across the line-up...still doesnt change the fact that the speedometer cluster looks like something I viewed as a young adult on a video game.

And the E-Class is a land yacht itself as of lately...

Problem is SMK...I dont like cars to park themselves...I like to park the bloody car myself...

I learned to parallel park on a 1988 Chevy Fullsized van...a work van, no windows on the side panels, just 2 square windows on the back doors waaaaay  in the back...

I even learned to park that thing without back up sensors telling me how close I am to the vehicle in the back...because there was no such thing back in '88.

SMK...although the S Class looks awesome for 2015, I dont lust for  one.

The E-Class looks like crap...the ONLY E Class I liked was the W211 2002-2009 E Class.

From the premium to luxury cars in 2015?

Maybe an AMG CLS 63, a M6 Grand Coupe, a CT6 would tickle my fancy.

A Tesla Model S...and that is about it...

Id rather resto-mod/pro tour a classic American car from the 1950s/1960s/early 1970s and put modern tech and luxury into them and spend that 100 000 thousand rather then buy something modern. Other than those 4 cars I mentioned...

I actually find the transition from the displays to passenger airbag cover appalling in the picture of the E-Class.

It juts out where everywhere else looks executed to the same level as the S-Class.

SMK, wouldn't it be fairer to compare that interior to the S90 as well...

and in addition that is an image for a press release. The Continental interior is one of an good spy shot, but it doesn't reveal seats and door trim.

Before making conclusions in haste, atleast wait for the debut to solidify your view.

The S90 interior I like, probably a good comparison for the Continental since they are both 2nd their brands, both front drive based, probably similar price, etc.  It seems that we will get the E300 with the 2.0T here in the USA, that could start around $50k so you could get that interior for in the high $50s.  I am curious to see what the engines are, if they are just what is in the C-class that will be a disappointment.  I want the 367 horsepower M256 straight six engine that is in development. 

Hard to call the E-class a land yacht though when it is smaller than a CTS, XF, A6 and 5-series.  The 2017 model is losing weight and more nimble than the current model accord to Car and Driver, but still has the smooth ride you'd expect.

The W211 is my favorite E-class also, that is why I got one.  I also like the W124 from the early 90s.  The W210 sucked by Mercedes standards, and the current car looked good on the outside before they changed the front end, and the interior is well made but boring.

OK...maybe I was wrong in calling it a land yacht. Its the perception I get whenever I see one.

Its...square and bulky...in all the wrong places. It looks huge. It would be OK had it looked imposing and intimidating, however, it just plain looks awkward.

Of all the cars you mentioned...the CTS by faaaaar looks the best. The sportiest and the classiest. The Jaguar looked good 5 years ago. This new one looks dated just because it did not change enough from the last generation.

The 5 Series had only two gens that were GREAT looking.  The E34 and E39.

The 7 Series was always a dog.

The W211, I think, is the classiest looking car to be built by anybody after the new Millennium.

But I was peeved at it when it first came out....something about the Merger of Equals.

Now....one of my wacky dreams is to take an AMG W211, rip out that  superb V8 motor, and shoehorn a Hellcat 6. 2 Supercharged Hemi...you know, for the ironic effect... just to stick it to Mercedes...

The A6...*YAWN*...what were you sayin *YAWN*...about the A6?

Edited by oldshurst442

That's not the interior you get for $50k.... particularly since the new E-class will start around $54k..... that isn't even the $54k interior.... and then to even get real leather instead of vinyl seats in your $54k car you'll need to spend at minimum $1,600 more.

Stole the words from my mouth.

That is NOT a 50k interior. 6k plus any options you'd find realistically on a dealers' lot is more like 16k so it's realistically a ~66k interior.

Edited by ccap41

But it is not an S-class interior.  It is the new E-class interior, and has 64 different interior ambient lighting colors to pick from.   For starting at $50-something  You can get this, and option it up with the 1,350 watt Burmeister Audio, and it will park itself in your garage without you in it.   Why bother with a Continental, or 5-series, CTS, A6, etc. 002-2017-mercedes-e-class-interior-1.jpg

So you're saying Benz is so advanced it needs no brakes?

I've been wanting to post a photo of a Lincoln Continental for those who are too young, have no sense of history, or suffer from a lack of internet.  Click on it to make it bigger.  *SWOON*  :smilewide:

post-37-0-52482500-1450527974_thumb.jpg

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

That is one way to look at that diamond shaped leather...

imgrc0062239889.jpg

I actually like the way it looks though, but in no way do I equate diamond shapes in leather as a high fashion statement  for luxury cars...

I also happen to think the diamond shaped leather is overdone. Bentley and Lambo also offers that look.

AND...If a plebeian Ford product offers one ...not much originality in M-B is there???!!!

I've been wanting to post a photo of a Lincoln Continental for those who are too young, have no sense of history, or suffer from a lack of internet.  Click on it to make it bigger.  *SWOON*  :smilewide:

attachicon.gif12376698_433205803470981_8067220772364828875_n.jpg

Nice Ride, So reminds me of Matrix! :D

• Agree 1

But it is not an S-class interior.  It is the new E-class interior, and has 64 different interior ambient lighting colors to pick from.   For starting at $50-something  You can get this, and option it up with the 1,350 watt Burmeister Audio, and it will park itself in your garage without you in it.   Why bother with a Continental, or 5-series, CTS, A6, etc. 002-2017-mercedes-e-class-interior-1.jpg

For an expensive auto, the air vents looks cheap plastic cheesy just like the ones in almost all ford products.

Except for the fact that A.) you are talking about a 2017 model that is not out yet with no definitive price and B.) you will not get that interior or anything close to it for $50K. This is cluster and dash for the base model E Class.

2017-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-Analog-Dials-

2017-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-Analog-Dials-

The lesson here is that it is real easy to tout your favorite brand having a "low" starting price when you display the model that is farthest from that actual price point.

And for the record, that dash and gauge cluster set up is horrible, no matter which term you look at. It's an 88 Oldsmobile dash with a giant LCD screen in place of the 80's gauges.

30958280002_large.jpg

Sorry but I am not impressed by the supposed luxury leader here.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

A 2003 E320 had a base price of $50,220, a 2016 E350 is $53,100. $3,000 in price increase over 13 years is pheonominal. And logic would let you believe the new model will start under $55k. The base gauges and small screen look like crap, but that could be a Euro market car also, and we don't know the option packages yet. This car will be a home run, the current E-class is no where near this good and it easily outsells all competitors.

A 2003 E320 had a base price of $50,220, a 2016 E350 is $53,100. $3,000 in price increase over 13 years is pheonominal. And logic would let you believe the new model will start under $55k. The base gauges and small screen look like crap, but that could be a Euro market car also, and we don't know the option packages yet. This car will be a home run, the current E-class is no where near this good and it easily outsells all competitors.

It does not matter whether it's a Euro market car or not (I would be pissed to see that mess if I lived in Europe) and regardless it looks like a cheap base model car and not in a good way. You posting pics of the most expensive model to prove your points is very misleading and telling half truths, especially when it really just doesn't look all that great in any trim.

Edited by surreal1272

they're not going to design a Euro market car with MPH gauges.... in English.

• Agree 1

Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that. Would be a little strange to test a Euro model E-Class on California highway 38 near Big Bear.

Edited by surreal1272

Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that. Would be a little strange to test a Euro model E-Class on California highway 38 near Big Bear.

Not really, all of the manufacturers test all over the world for all market cars.  I've spotted the Hyundai Genesis testing in Pittsburgh before it was released. GM will regularly take cars to Norway for cold weather testing and VW brings cars to Death Valley for hot weather testing. 

Euro market Benz's use a symbol for the parking brake... but because Americans are too dumb (in general) to understand the dashboard symbols.. or to even go look it up in the manual if they don't know what it means.... Mercedes spells it out for them on the American cars.

Not really, all of the manufacturers test all over the world for all market cars.  I've spotted the Hyundai Genesis testing in Pittsburgh before it was released. GM will regularly take cars to Norway for cold weather testing and VW brings cars to Death Valley for hot weather testing. 

Euro market Benz's use a symbol for the parking brake... but because Americans are too dumb (in general) to understand the dashboard symbols.. or to even go look it up in the manual if they don't know what it means.... Mercedes spells it out for them on the American cars.

Oh I understand how the testing goes, but the info on the Nav plus the fact that the gauges are clearly in MPH made it a little but funnier for me.

Edited by surreal1272

So I was looking around on other places to see if the reactions to the Continental were similar to here. I ran into one place where there was a guy insisting that it didn't need a HUD because that kinda thing only appealed to techno-geeks. Then he rambled on about being locked in a Corvette because he didn't know how to operate an electric door release.

That's quite a demographic for Lincoln to target, wot?

Well we don't know what E-class trim levels those are, they are offering 4 different seats for example.  They haven't priced anything or said what the options are.  We will find out in January.

As far as the Continental goes, the interior seems more like LaCrosse level, maybe CTS-level.  So even if the final Continental is as nice as a CTS on the inside, it won't drive like one.  I am still very curious as to how they will price the Continental, and if if will do anything to breath life into Lincoln.

Well we don't know what E-class trim levels those are, they are offering 4 different seats for example. They haven't priced anything or said what the options are. We will find out in January.

As far as the Continental goes, the interior seems more like LaCrosse level, maybe CTS-level. So even if the final Continental is as nice as a CTS on the inside, it won't drive like one. I am still very curious as to how they will price the Continental, and if if will do anything to breath life into Lincoln.

Can you give me the next powerball numbers too? The EClass is not some great handler...its big and heavy and soft... Which is absolutely fine for the demographic who buys it.

Well we don't know what E-class trim levels those are, they are offering 4 different seats for example. They haven't priced anything or said what the options are. We will find out in January.

As far as the Continental goes, the interior seems more like LaCrosse level, maybe CTS-level. So even if the final Continental is as nice as a CTS on the inside, it won't drive like one. I am still very curious as to how they will price the Continental, and if if will do anything to breath life into Lincoln.

Can you give me the next powerball numbers too? The EClass is not some great handler...its big and heavy and soft... Which is absolutely fine for the demographic who buys it.

And maybe that is why I had called the E Class a land yacht...to what Drew pointed out...

I had that in mind when you side tracked me SMK in letting me forget about the E Class' ride  and you directed your argument towards size...

Size does not always coincide with the American Land yacht definition..a late 1990s W-Body Buick Century is mid-sized towards the lower spectrum of mid-sized and its ride very much qualifies as a land yacht...the E-Class not only has gained some length from the very first E Class of the early 1990s, but it also inherited some American culture...since because the modern 2000s E-Class is really marketed for the American Market...unlike  its predecessor..the 300, and the generation before it, the W123...which really was made as an econobox Taxi service car for the Middle East and Europe...need I remind you how small those two generations were as well?

Car and Driver drove the prototype and said it was nimble, although still had the ride quality you'd expect.   The E-class is the bread and butter of the Mercedes line-up, I am excited to see the final version because they put a lot into this car.  Tobias Moers said the 2017 E63 has the biggest driving dynamics leap from one generation to the next of any product they have ever done.  

1976 W123:  186.0 inches long (190.9 with US market bumpers)

1985 W124:  187.2 inches long

1996 W210:  189.7 inches long

2007 W211:  190.0 inches long

2015 W212:  192.1 inches long

That isn't that much growth, if you use the US version it grew 1.2 inches in 40 years.  Look at how much most cars grow, like an 80s Accord to what it is now.

It also grew at the hips, SMK...

Its width grew 3 inches...now...that does not seem like much...and M-B's were always biggish cars to begin with as compared to its Bavarian brethren, but...lets face it SMK, the E class is a Land Yacht whether you want to admit it or not...

Hey..I LOVE me some land yachts, just not the E Class....Its OK...you could continue liking M-B...I dont judge you, I never will, just take off the rosy coloured glasses when you wax poetic about M-B, the company and its cars, are not all that cracked up to be...

Built like a tank that W123 was, luxury it was not...

Luxury is what the E Class is trying to be today, compared to its competitors, it fairs pretty well, but a tank it is not...

Oh....luxury on the high end level fairs pretty well, on the lower Euro trims, the W210 is what Im talking about....yeah 13 years ago...it was pretty shytty...W-Body Impala 3.4 liter V6 shytty...worse...it had a 1.8 liter 4 banger.

could even had been  a 1.6....too lazy to Google and Im going by memory...

What does all this have to do with the Lincoln?

Ill make a connection...

In retrospect...it really is not fair that we North Americans are taking the 2016 Continental apart and dissing it the way we do...because we North Americans are are giving a waaaaay to easy pass on the E Class and C Class from M-B...maybe we should start leaving American brands alone and start been harsh with the German ones...because memory just hit me hard...

In 2001 when I visited Greece for the umpteenth time, I analyzed Euro cars, M-B included, and no matter how low Lincoln was in 2001, in which Lincoln did not really sink low in 2001, never had a product in the mainstream econo market as M-B was and continues to be...

We could all make fun of Lincoln and the Continental...but if one could have seen how lowly those W210s really were...

My drunkin' rant is over.

And I swear...I dont recall spiking my eggnog with anything...

The thing is, Lincoln isn't even going for sporty.  Which is fine. There is a dearth of soft riding cars on the market right now for those of us who like them.

Fair enough.

So, I guess I have to ask: is it necessary to have advanced chassis and suspension tech if you want a soft-riding car? Because on the one hand you could theoretically go back to BOF sedans and have all the wallow you want. Or do you want something more along the line of old Citroens, which put some thought into their comfortable rides?

I agree that it's possible to make a sharp-handling BOF design. But I used the example more as an example of just throwing anything onto the market and using "relaxed handling" as an excuse. And BOF has its limitations in terms of torsional rigidity if you're looking to make an old-school curve carver.

There really aren't limitations, especially if you consider the physicality of the 2 builds.

Considering the variable possibilities of wheels, tires, shocks, springs, bushings, suspension… what percentage of contribution would you say the fact that BOF's have tiny, hard rubber discs between their frame & body shell and unibodies do not…. in the handling or 'corner carving' of either? Because, everything else being equal, it's a minuscule factor.

I would love to see an 'apples to apples' test of the 2, somehow. 

But my Trailblazer SS AWD is body on frame and rocks in being driven hard through the corners as well as straight line and I do not have the so called body roll and swagger of what some like to accuse the BOF auto's of. The right product with the right tuning, suspension, rims, tires, etc can make all the difference in the world.

I know that subframes are still attached to unibodies with bushings and whatnot. But BOF designs use a frame typically laid out along two dimensions, not three. Hence, not so great torsional rigidity.

I agree that advanced chassis tech should be lightweight and stiff. This usually takes effort. I also agree that suspension tuning plays a big part in handling, and proper suspension tuning requires effort.

But it is easy to use the "comfy ride" thing as code for "we mailed it in" (I believe the Lexus RC-F uses a similar approach for sporty handling).

I don't believe that at all.  The S-Class with airmatic has a cloud like ride. It is well controlled, but it isn't "sporting".  I wouldn't consider an S-Class's chassis or suspension to be "mailed in".

Sporty ride is just one goal to aim for.  There are other alternative goals out there as well. 

• Agree 2

I know that subframes are still attached to unibodies with bushings and whatnot. But BOF designs use a frame typically laid out along two dimensions, not three. Hence, not so great torsional rigidity.

I agree that advanced chassis tech should be lightweight and stiff. This usually takes effort. I also agree that suspension tuning plays a big part in handling, and proper suspension tuning requires effort.

But it is easy to use the "comfy ride" thing as code for "we mailed it in" (I believe the Lexus RC-F uses a similar approach for sporty handling).

I think you're confusing stiff, controlled, sporty, comfortable all confused because just because something absorbs road imperfections doesn't make it a poor design and lacking in technology. In fact it probably takes an equal amount of technology to get a suspension set up to absorb road imperfections and deliver a comfortable ride. You can do to the far end of the spectrum and do you think Rolls' "mail in" their suspensions? But they aren't sporty in any way. 

• Agree 3

Unibody designs usually have subframes with rubber bushings to mount suspension to the vehicle...

Of course; these are parts that move relative to each other. Besides set-ups like my '59 Buick, which have threaded steel bushings instead of rubber..., rubber mounting of suspension parts is a given. But body-to-frame is not designed to have movement between the 2… yet some equate 'sloppy handling' with these small neoprene discs, rather than entire suspension system/ tunes.

If by "some" you're referring to me then allow me to be clear: the levels of handling competence I'm talking about are at the extreme edge of the spectrum. An Inpala SS or Mercury Marauder could doubtless be tuned to go around turns well, but ultimately the ladder frame would flex enough to put some at-limit vagueness in there (to say nothing of their rear axles).

The B-O-F factor is moot anyway as there are no B-o-F cars left in production.

Approximately Zero S-Class/Continental/CT6/A6/LaCrosse owners are going to go anywhere near the limit of their cars.  Most drivers, even ones with lots of money, cannot handle a Corolla at 7/10ths much less one of these high performance machines....   So if Lincoln can pry some old blue-hair out of her E-class, it's not going to be for how fast the Contiental can or cannot go around the Nurburgring. 

• Agree 4

In a sense, buying a luxury car is sometimes for features that are possibly never used fully or at all. Unless straight-line thrust is important - which most economy cars have pretty much taken care of compared to lethargic wheezers of yore.

Many, many of my friends call Cruzes and Focus, and even new Corollas fast cars. Point of reference, I guess. 

But yeah, Dieter Zietche was pretty spot on with that one. The difference between luxury cars and the normals ones are becoming muddied, as clever software and rather innovative, compact, yet nonetheless mundane hardware approaches or even overcomes specialized hardware and bespoke engineering.

I'm not enamored at all with the spy shots revealed so far - but they are images of mules that are usually built hastily/shoddily, and they don't reveal anything other than the shape of the vehicle and a partial real-life image of the car that is just one iteration of the available interiors. 

I was struck a bit curious, and amused as on how on some websites/publications people were unleashing a salvo of digust over the interior especially, even though a competitor in a sense (the E-Class) has a par for the course looking interior in an image of a mundane E-Class in this discussion.

But then there are things that are never really seen but understood. Recently, the MKX (another vehicle that I personally don't like) had its seats and audio system commented as being superlative for the price, equal to the best from Mercedes. Those are features people use quite a bit. The rest wasn't to an enthusiast publication's liking as much, but for the lay buyer... the difference (not necessarily difference, but ending outcomes) between automakers themselves are getting narrower as well. 

As much as I believe in superior engineering and RWD; lay customers just don't see the nasty rivets, bolts, and weld joints.

Now I wanted this car to be 95% of the concept. It isn't, it's more like 80% or a little more. Not really promising for the demanding enthusiast, but the intended buyer in China is a person who wouldn't even drive it. 

• Agree 1

Approximately Zero S-Class/Continental/CT6/A6/LaCrosse owners are going to go anywhere near the limit of their cars.  Most drivers, even ones with lots of money, cannot handle a Corolla at 7/10ths much less one of these high performance machines....   So if Lincoln can pry some old blue-hair out of her E-class, it's not going to be for how fast the Contiental can or cannot go around the Nurburgring.

So then, why bother trying to stretch the engineering envelope at all?

Luxury is both subjective and objective. Objectively, a luxury car has to be able to do things that a non-luxury car cannot. Subjectively, it has to do these things in a refined manner. Otherwise, we would all be driving pods.

So then, why bother trying to stretch the engineering envelope at all?

Luxury is both subjective and objective. Objectively, a luxury car has to be able to do things that a non-luxury car cannot. Subjectively, it has to do these things in a refined manner. Otherwise, we would all be driving pods.

.... again. There are different goals out there.  It can take just as much engineering prowess to tune a comfortable yet controlled suspension as it can to make a ring burner.

• Agree 1