• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

What is really the difference between a full time 4wd and AWD?  My 99 Z71 has a multimode 4wd hat includes 2WD, high, low, and full-time.  And in the fulltime mode it will transfer power between axles for traction.  03-04 Dakotas also offered a fulltime 4wd system with full-time, 4 high, and 4 low.  I am pretty sure the Canyon is available with a fulltime 4wd system as well.  it is one of the things I liked in the Canyon vs the Colorado.  It would still have a 2WD setting btw. 

The only thing really special is the torque vectoring in the Honda system and one has to think what ood is that gonna be on a truck?

"Full time 4WD, also called permanent 4WD, (not to be confused with:part time 4WD ) is a system that powers all four wheels at all times and it can be used full time on all surfaces including pavement. The additional feature of a differential incorporated into the transfer case makes it possible to use 4WD all the time.

2WD is not available (only part time 4WD offers that option)"

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/difference_4WD_awd.html

The system the "auto" system that Chevy does, my Avalanche had it, leaves the front wheels on partially.   In Auto, I could drive it normally.  In 4Hi, the front wheels would bind up if I tried to take too tight of a turn. It was more of a "locked front end" when in 4Hi.

• Upvote 1

What is really the difference between a full time 4wd and AWD?  My 99 Z71 has a multimode 4wd hat includes 2WD, high, low, and full-time.  And in the fulltime mode it will transfer power between axles for traction.  03-04 Dakotas also offered a fulltime 4wd system with full-time, 4 high, and 4 low.  I am pretty sure the Canyon is available with a fulltime 4wd system as well.  it is one of the things I liked in the Canyon vs the Colorado.  It would still have a 2WD setting btw. 

The only thing really special is the torque vectoring in the Honda system and one has to think what ood is that gonna be on a truck?

"Full time 4WD, also called permanent 4WD, (not to be confused with:part time 4WD ) is a system that powers all four wheels at all times and it can be used full time on all surfaces including pavement. The additional feature of a differential incorporated into the transfer case makes it possible to use 4WD all the time.

The system the "auto" system that Chevy does, my Avalanche had it, leaves the front wheels on partially.   In Auto, I could drive it normally.  In 4Hi, the front wheels would bind up if I tried to take too tight of a turn. It was more of a "locked front end" when in 4Hi.

Ya Rock! :metal:

That was a great link to explain the differences. Cadillac really needs to clarify the Full Time 4WD. 

AWD with a 4LO option is what it really is and that is great.

Ya Rock! :metal:

That was a great link to explain the differences. Cadillac really needs to clarify the Full Time 4WD. 

AWD with a 4LO option is what it really is and that is great.

I think all of the GM products that have 4wd can be run in "auto 4wd" all the time. It hits you at the gas pump, but you can do it.  Most of the time, I ran my Avalanche in 2wd mode because there was no need for more than that.

Once upon a time all the SUVs were body on frame, rear drive 4x4.  Blazers, Explorers, etc.  Then the wave of front drive unibody crossovers took over.  I think Honda could win some people over.  This level truck isn't used for anything heavy duty.

Once upon a time all the SUVs were body on frame, rear drive 4x4.  Blazers, Explorers, etc.  Then the wave of front drive unibody crossovers took over.  I think Honda could win some people over.  This level truck isn't used for anything heavy duty.

That's exactly what this truck is for.... people who think they need an 4x4 Truck to bring home 10 bags of mulch from Lowes... 

(yet my '04 CRV handles at least 16)

I believe the AWD is not in all for some of the reasons you give but also the fact people are paying more for a Denali just for the extra plastic chrome. lighted rockers and wood trim on the wheel and not expecting a much more expensice drive system. Just look at the Terrain Denali vs. the SLT2. It is not worth the money when your really look at what all you get for the price difference. But yet is sells and makes a lot of money. Standard AWD would add to the cost and not really add an equal amount of money. 

I still wish the Denali was like an SS package with some real mechanical hardare on all model that make it special. Be it a larger or more powerful engine a better suspsnesion or the like to go with the trim. Denali on some models today are like what the SS became when it was added ot the old Malibu 10 years ago.

I understand but but it is a wish.

I believe the AWD is not in all for some of the reasons you give but also the fact people are paying more for a Denali just for the extra plastic chrome. lighted rockers and wood trim on the wheel and not expecting a much more expensice drive system. Just look at the Terrain Denali vs. the SLT2. It is not worth the money when your really look at what all you get for the price difference. But yet is sells and makes a lot of money. Standard AWD would add to the cost and not really add an equal amount of money. 

I still wish the Denali was like an SS package with some real mechanical hardare on all model that make it special. Be it a larger or more powerful engine a better suspsnesion or the like to go with the trim. Denali on some models today are like what the SS became when it was added ot the old Malibu 10 years ago.

I understand but but it is a wish.

I hear what you are saying and would agree with most of it. I believe there is a proper place for the Denali package as is today as most people just want a top of the line auto with trimmings. Then I believe there should be a Denali Syclone and Denali Typhoon packages. These would have everything plus the performance parts.

Denali Syclone would be on all trucks.

Denali Typhoon would be on all SUV/CUVs.

New Package would be:

Denali Hurricane package

This would be the hardened capabilities of the Hummer on any Truck or SUV/CUV. This would allow GMC to have the H4 to compete with the wrangler but also GMC would then have a Raptor competitor.

I would build a Raptor competitor but I would not go as far as trying to relive the past.

GMC has moved on and needs to create new legends not try to rehash a past that was cool but pails compared to today.

The AWD and extra power I see is not so much a performance package like the old Syclone. It is more a point of just giving more to the customer for the extra money. Case in point the standard 6.0 and AWD that has been offered on the Denali Sierra.

GMC does need a performance model or two but not on everything. The Denali name is enough. I own a Terrain and trust me it is not my desire for a performance model. I hauls well. Rides great and is comfortable. Luxury is more the point.

​Now to take a Sierra or Canyon and make a  Raptor competitor would be fine and I would love a Sport version of both trucks in 2 wheel drive too. Lowered suspension larger tires and a variety  of engine options. Much like the ZQ8. People could tailor the package to their wallet and taste. Many ZQ8 models were 4 cylinders even with the V6 option. I would love a 2.0 Turbo option in the Canyon. Offer It with a tune package that could easily see 300+ HP and 340 FT#.

But in no way can you rehash the Syclone much like the GN. It was what it was for the time and there are new ideas and opportunities that should be created.

The fact is when you have no ideas and no money living in the past is a quick, cheap and easy way out. GM does not have to live that way anymore.

• Upvote 1

Regardless of personal opinion, the hard fact remains that what is familiar has a leg up in marketing.

Look, for example, at the candy industry. The popular, volume names have been around forever. Reese's Pieces is a newcomer, and it's 37 years old.

Challenger, Mustang, Camaro, Stingray, Ferrari, Lambo (basically building the same silhouette since 1973) wouldn't be all doing excellent if they didn't speak to potential buyers on both a product AND image basis. Look at what "Hemi" has done for Chrysler.

The bottom of "NEW!!" is structurally unsound. Auto design as at it's 95th percentile of development right now (it's also why you see the degree of retro we've seen in the last 15-20 years. No major automotive OEMs EVER did 'retro' before the 2000s. The well is nearly dry). Marketing is right there with it (witness the madness of nothingness of alphanumerics, pretty much decoupled from the 'code' it was brought out under). 

If the product can be well engineered & designed, speak to a targeted segment that will buy at levels to reasonably support a ROI, going with heritage marketing can be the one thing that pushes ROI over into the black. IMO, were Buick to bring out a dedicated, slinky performance coupe with 'high image', and the market folk had it boiled down to "ARX66" and "Grand National", there's one choice that's unquestionably smarter than the other, from a business perspective.

• Upvote 1

I would build a Raptor competitor but I would not go as far as trying to relive the past.

GMC has moved on and needs to create new legends not try to rehash a past that was cool but pails compared to today.

The AWD and extra power I see is not so much a performance package like the old Syclone. It is more a point of just giving more to the customer for the extra money. Case in point the standard 6.0 and AWD that has been offered on the Denali Sierra.

GMC does need a performance model or two but not on everything. The Denali name is enough. I own a Terrain and trust me it is not my desire for a performance model. I hauls well. Rides great and is comfortable. Luxury is more the point.

​Now to take a Sierra or Canyon and make a  Raptor competitor would be fine and I would love a Sport version of both trucks in 2 wheel drive too. Lowered suspension larger tires and a variety  of engine options. Much like the ZQ8. People could tailor the package to their wallet and taste. Many ZQ8 models were 4 cylinders even with the V6 option. I would love a 2.0 Turbo option in the Canyon. Offer It with a tune package that could easily see 300+ HP and 340 FT#.

But in no way can you rehash the Syclone much like the GN. It was what it was for the time and there are new ideas and opportunities that should be created.

The fact is when you have no ideas and no money living in the past is a quick, cheap and easy way out. GM does not have to live that way anymore.

Usually I can agree with the majority of your thinking, but this time I have to disagree. The Syclone and Typhoon have performance heritage that is not tarnished and you could use the names on 21st century  modern versions. Maybe these would have AWD with an Electric boost system that we have seen in other auto's. I believe you are right that not all legacy names should be reused, but some sure could be used over again on a 21st century version auto.

Usually I can agree with the majority of your thinking, but this time I have to disagree. The Syclone and Typhoon have performance heritage that is not tarnished and you could use the names on 21st century  modern versions. Maybe these would have AWD with an Electric boost system that we have seen in other auto's. I believe you are right that not all legacy names should be reused, but some sure could be used over again on a 21st century version auto.

The Syclone was a limited model that was cool but never made a ton of impact long term. The Typhoon is all but forgotten by most including some enthusiast..

To do both today they both would be very costly and the more content would reduce the profitability.

On the other hand a sport model would give some flexibility to let people built what they want. Also I do see a place for a Raptor competitor if it could be done for the right price. No $70K models here Ford has kept the price down so GM would have to do the same.

​The sales of any performance model will be limited so you have to do it right and smart.

As for reusing names there are times and places they work but too often they are the cheap and easy way out. Also many times they are used to fix products that were not right to start with.

​GM tried to wait and use the GTO name on the right model after using it on two FWD based show cars. That was the right thing to do but even when they did use it in the hail mary before the bail out trying to save Pontiac.

​I think Lutz knew it was too later but was willing to risk it all in a remote chance they could pull it off. 

The Stingray name was fine for the Vette. But while many say they should use the Grand National name or GNX again that is wrong. There is not much relation to a present day car to what the GN really was. Even the meaning behind the GN is no longer viable. It is one that needs left to the ages.

Also for Buick they need to move on as if they want people to think they are no the same Buick of the past then stop using the old names. I was pleased the new cars are showing up sans portholes. If you want to be seen as different then be different.

Chevy should move on from repeating the LT engine names. This just adds confusion. These new engines are good enough for their own names.

The time right now is key for GM to convince they are not the same old GM. They have the best product they have had in decades. So in some key areas I would carry over some names that have not been damaged like Silverado and Malibu or Camaro. But in other areas like Buick I would rename them all. So few people care about the old names as it is the time is right to move on.

I really would rather see GMC get more Hummer like and in place of doing a Trax rehash lets revisit the Hummer Jeep concept. Make something more like a Renegade but cooler and less of a box on wheels. In other words butch it up a little.

But in the end luxury sells much better than Performance in the SUV segment anymore. Same for the SUV segment. Unless you get real expensive. Now do a car/SUV like the Porsche the performance there or Audi appears a little more in line but the it gets expensive again and more of a Cadillac priced thing.

The Avista is not a Grand National successor.  It is more rightly a Wildcat.  Authoritative, sporty grand tourer... not a quarter mile good ol' boy two dimensional situation with this car.

This RL is a worthy successor to previous, which of course is not saying a whole lot. Perfect for Honda customers.  I bet sales will double.  Which is also not saying a lot.  But double is better than zero, so worth the effort.

The Avista is not a Grand National successor.  It is more rightly a Wildcat.  Authoritative, sporty grand tourer... not a quarter mile good ol' boy two dimensional situation with this car.

I never said it was a GT successor.

​But yet many on the web cry to name it that?

It is not even a wildcat as it was a large boat and not known for grand touring.

You want to convince Buick is not your grandfathers car then don't name the damn thing after your grandfathers car.

Granted I am not keen on Alvista but god please save us from repeating the past to those who are looking for a future. The truth is Buick has never really made a car like the Alvista. The closest they have come is the 63-65 Riv and it was not a true Euro like GT like the Alvista is trying to be.

​Then the Riv went the wrong direction if it wanted to be a GT and only got bigger and heavier.

Well it's an interesting truck, because Hyundai has confirmed it will build a Santa Cruz truck, which will be a competitor to this, and it will also be FWD based.

There is segment that is looking for a compelling small(er) truck. It's evident as this is hoe the Tacoma has remained in production and how the GM twins has lit it up.

This kind of vehicle is refreshing in its honesty. It's a lifestyle truck. Most truck buyers need nothing more than this. The interior is a carbon copy of the Pilot, so it should be the best in the midsize class.

Putting the spare under in a bunker under the bed is just a headscratcher at best and stupid at worst though. 

• Upvote 1

It is not even a wildcat as it was a large boat and not known for grand touring.

You want to convince Buick is not your grandfathers car then don't name the damn thing after your grandfathers car.

Granted I am not keen on Alvista but god please save us from repeating the past to those who are looking for a future. The truth is Buick has never really made a car like the Alvista. The closest they have come is the 63-65 Riv and it was not a true Euro like GT like the Alvista is trying to be.

​Then the Riv went the wrong direction if it wanted to be a GT and only got bigger and heavier.

I can see it now:  "Buick ALvista Bundy Special Edition".  SUHWEET.

I can see it now:  "Buick ALvista Bundy Special Edition".  SUHWEET.

Ok?????

Not to draw out the far more interesting Buick discussion in a dull Honduh thread, but the Avista is very much so in the '63-65 Riviera position, a very distinctive, powerful upscale 'image' coupe. Wildcat was a trim variant on the full-size models but the Riv was completely unique. They are completely comparable.

Spread-01.jpg

• Upvote 3

dude really?

You missed the sarcasm in the last couple question marks! :P

Not to draw out the far more interesting Buick discussion in a dull Honduh thread, but the Avista is very much so in the '63-65 Riviera position, a very distinctive, powerful upscale 'image' coupe. Wildcat was a trim variant on the full-size models but the Riv was completely unique. They are completely comparable.

Spread-01.jpg

That is just sex on wheels.  :wub:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      We have seen the A-Class hatchback and the stretched A-Class sedan. Last night, Mercedes-Benz finally revealed the 2019 A-Class sedan for the U.S. This will take the place of the CLA as the entry point for Mercedes-Benz.
      The regular A-Class sedan is the same as the long-wheelbase variant in terms of design; large grille, trapezoidal headlights, and bold lines along the side. Overall length is 2.3-inches shorter than the LWB variant (179.1 vs. 181.4 inches). Interestingly, the new A-Class sedan is very close in size to the current CLA - slightly shorter in overall length (179.1 vs. 182.3 inches) but having a longer wheelbase (107.4 inches vs. 106.3 inches). Wheels range in size from 17 to 19-inches. The interior matches up with its overseas brethren with a modern dash design, and a pair of screens (either 7 or 10.25-inches) featuring the new Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX) infotainment system.
      Under the hood is a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder producing 188 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission and the choice of front or Mercedes' 4Matic all-wheel drive. An torsion-beam rear axle is standard on the front-wheel drive A-Class when equipped with 17-inch wheels. Opt for either the larger wheels or AWD and the rear suspension changes to a four-link independent setup.
      No word on pricing, but the 2019 A-Class sedan will be arriving at Mercedes-Benz dealers towards the end of the year.
      Source: Mercedes-Benz

The all-new A-Class Sedan
      Compact entry into the world of Mercedes-Benz premium sedans Jul 26, 2018 – Brooklyn: The family of compact cars from Mercedes-Benz continues to grow: the all-new A-Class Sedan will launch at the end of the year. The four-door sedan has a wheelbase of 107.4 inches and the proportions of a dynamic and simultaneously compact sedan with short front and rear overhangs and boasts impressive space in the interior. In addition, the sedan model has A-Class virtues familiar to the rest of the world. These include a new and efficient engine and high levels of safety thanks to the available state-of-the-art driving assistance systems on par with the Mercedes-Benz S-Class. The new A-Class is also the first vehicle in the Mercedes-Benz lineup to introduce the intuitively operated MBUX – Mercedes-Benz User Experience multimedia system. The all-new 2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan will celebrate its World Premiere in Brooklyn, NY in July 2018 and will go on sale in the U.S. in late 2018.
      "Following the successful start of the A-Class, things at Mercedes-Benz are happening in quick succession with regard to the new family of compacts. In response to the wish of many customers, we now offer the A-Class for the first time as a sedan," says Britta Seeger, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and responsible for Mercedes-Benz Cars Marketing and Sales. "Anyone looking for a compact, sporty sedan with a separate trunk now has a new, attractive alternative. It will attract new customers for Mercedes-Benz."
      The new generation of compacts has made a key contribution to the rejuvenation and image-change of the Mercedes-Benz brand. The launch of the four-door CLA Coupe in 2013 was the first time a compact car from Mercedes-Benz was sold in the U.S. market. In 2017, nearly one in two buyers of a Mercedes-Benz compact car in the U.S. had previously driven a competitor vehicle, and more than 50-percent of the CLA custome rs were new to Mercedes-Benz (first-time buyers and conquests).
      The 1997 A-Class originally established the compact car segment of Mercedes-Benz that exists today. Since then, more than six million models have been delivered worldwide. As the seventh model, the A-Class Sedan further expands the range of Mercedes-Benz compact cars. A logical addition, because with the C, E and S-Class, Mercedes-Benz continues to hold its position as a top-manufacturer of premium sedans.
      The key dimensions of the new A-Class Sedan:
      Length: 179.1 in Width: 70.7 in Height: 56.9 in Wheelbase: 107.4 in The A-Class Sedan offers great utility with roomy shoulder, elbow and headroom and easy access to the rear. The improvement to rear headroom space is particularly exceptional and the trunk was designed for practical usability with a large trunk opening that allows for comfortable loading and unloading of larger luggage items.
      Engine & Performance
      The A-Class Sedan will be available as an A 220 and as an A 220 4MATIC, both equipped with a 2.0L inline-4 turbocharged engine that produces 188 hp and 221 lb-ft of torque, mated to a 7G-DCT dual-clutch transmission.
      Equipment & Appointments: KEYLESS-GO® with HANDS-FREE ACCESS Available
      The standard equipment for the A 220 and A 220 4MATIC is extensive and includes the revolutionary MBUX (Mercedes-Benz User Experience multimedia system with touchscreen) with Voice Control. As with every Mercedes-Benz, safety is also a top priority, so sophisticated safety systems including Active Brake Assist and adaptive braking technology with Hill Start Assist and the HOLD function are standard. In addition, the A-Class Sedan can be customized with unique design and equipment lines including Progressive (standard) and the optional AMG Line. A Night Package is also available as an option.  
      KEYLESS-GO with HANDS-FREE ACCESS will also be one of the available options. The HANDS-FREE ACCESS function conveniently enables the hands-free and fully automatic opening of the trunk lid with a kicking motion of the foot under the rear bumper.
      Design: Superior Sportiness and Modernity
      The A-Class Sedan seamlessly embodies the design idiom of Sensual Purity with its purist design that emphasizes distinct yet harmonious surfaces. Clear, formal shapes emphasize surface areas with reduced lines and precise gaps. The new A-Class Sedan has the proportions of a dynamic and compact sedan with short front and rear overhangs.
      The deep greenhouse and compact rear-end contribute to the vehicle's dynamic boost. The 17 to 19-inch wheels and pronounced wheel arches give the A-Class Sedan a sporty stance on the road.
      The design of the front-end looks very progressive. This impression is enhanced by the low, elongated hood, the chrome slim-line headlamps, the torch-like daytime driving lights, the optional single-louvre diamond radiator grille with chrome pins and, of course, the central star.
      A precisely characterized line runs along the muscular and sensual shoulder to emphasize the perfectly contoured side volume, while the side mirrors sit on the beltline.
      The two-part taillamps emphasize the width of the rear end. The rear reflectors were relocated to the modular two-part rear bumper. Depending on the selected equipment, the rear bumper is available with a black diffuser or with a chrome trim strip and chrome tailpipe tips.
      Interior Design: Revolution from Within
      The interior of the new A-Class is completely redefined with a modern, avant-garde look. Mercedes-Benz has taken a completely new approach, revolutionizing the compact class from the inside to create a new feeling of spaciousness. The unique interior architecture is predominantly reformed by the avant-garde design of the dashboard. The designers completely dispensed with the cowl above the cockpit. As a result, the wing-shaped main body of the dashboard extends from one front door to the other with no visual discontinuity--the widescreen display is completely free-standing. The sporty turbine look of the new air vents is another highlight.
      Below the main body is a low-lying section with fenders that appear to float, as there are no connections or shape transitions to the surrounding area. The ambient lighting accentuates the free-floating impression of the substructure. The 64 colors of the optional ambient lighting make five times as many colors available than before. It is not just the variety that has increased, as the emotional presentation also sets new standards in this segment. The different colors are composed into ten color themes to create a lighting display with spectacular color changes.
      The fully free-standing cockpit is available in two configurations:
      Two 7-inch displays (standard) Two 10.25-inch displays (optional) MBUX - Mercedes-Benz User Experience: Unrivalled Experience
      The new A-Class is the first Mercedes-Benz model to feature the completely new MBUX - Mercedes-Benz User Experience multimedia system -- ushering in a new era for connectivity. A unique feature of this system is its ability to learn thanks to Artificial Intelligence. MBUX is customizable and adapts to the user, creating an emotional connection between the vehicle, driver and passengers.
      Depending on the specification, further strengths include the high-resolution widescreen cockpit concept with a touchscreen media display with Augmented Reality capabilities, a digital instrument cluster display, Intelligent voice control with natural speech recognition - activated with the keyword "Hey Mercedes." The touchscreen is part of the comprehensive MBUX touch-control concept – a triad consisting of the Touchscreen, Touchpad on the center console and Touch Control Buttons on the steering wheel. A head-up display is also optionally available.
      MBUX revolutionizes the user experience in the car. Emotionally appealing features underline the comprehensibility of the control structure through brilliant 3D maximum-resolution graphics which are calculated and displayed in real time.
      New and improved connected services are being launched with the new multimedia generation MBUX. These include the functions based on Car-to-X Communication (information from vehicle to vehicle on events recorded by sensors, e.g. emergency braking, ESP® intervention, or a manual system message from the driver, e.g. about an accident) and vehicle tracking, which makes it easier to find the parked car.
      INTELLIGENT DRIVE: Functions from the S-Class
      The A-Class is optionally available with the very latest driver assistance systems with functions adopted from the S-Class. For the first time, the A-Class is able to drive semi-autonomously in certain conditions. To do this, it keeps a close eye on the traffic situation with improved camera and radar systems that allow it to see more than 1,500 feet ahead (up to 500 meters). The A-Class also uses map and navigation data for certain assistance functions. For example, Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC® is able to provide route-based support to the driver in numerous situations and predictively adjust the speed when approaching bends, junctions or roundabouts. Active Emergency Stop Assist and the intuitive Active Lane Change Assist are also included as part of the Driver Assistance Package.
      Active Brake Assist is standard for the new A-Class. Depending on the situation, it can help to effectively mitigate or avoid the consequences of rear-end collisions with slower-moving, stopping or stationary vehicles ahead. The system can even recognize crossing pedestrians and cyclists, and can intervene or support the driver in possible collision scenarios.
      Active Lane Keeping Assist is able to warn the driver by means of pulsed vibrations in the steering wheel when the vehicle is unintentionally drifting out of its lane at speeds between approximately 37 and 125 mph. If the vehicle passes over a solid line, it can pull the vehicle back into the lane by applying the brakes on one side. In the case of a dotted line, such intervention takes place only when there is a danger of collision with a vehicle in the adjacent lane (including danger from oncoming traffic).
      PRE-SAFE® PLUS can recognize an imminent rear-end collision. If the vehicle is stationary and the danger of a collision persists, the system can also firmly apply the brakes, thus minimizing the risk of a secondary collision and of injuries by reducing the forward jolt caused by an impact from the rear.
      Passive Safety: Highly Stable Passenger Compartment and Modern Restraint Systems
      The new A-Class is also the first Mercedes-Benz model to be developed at the new Technology Centre for Vehicle Safety (TFS). The design of the vehicle structures incorporates findings from research into real accidents. Every single body shell component was developed according to loads and stresses encountered, with respect to geometry, material thickness, joining technology and material quality (increased proportion of high-strength and ultra-high-strength sheet steel).
      The centerpiece of the body's safety concept is the highly rigid passenger compartment. A greater use of high-strength, ultra-high-strength and press-hardened sheet steel results in an impressive rigidity when subjected to accident-induced stress – for example, in frontal, lateral or rear-end collisions and roll-overs.
      The driver and front passenger seats each have a three-point seat belt with a belt force limiter and belt tensioner. As standard, the new A-Class is equipped with driver and front passenger airbags, a driver's knee airbag and window airbags. Unlike in many competing models, the window airbags cover the A-pillar for more complete passenger protection. Thorax-pelvis side airbags are also standard in the front and available as an optional addition for the rear.
      LED Intelligent Light System: Optimum Visibility in All Conditions
      The optional LED Intelligent Light System is another example of the technology transfer from the luxury to the compact class. It allows for the extremely quick, precise and electronically controlled adjustment of the headlamps to suit the given traffic situation. Each headlamp features multiple individually actuated LEDs. The daylight-color of the LEDs is easy on the eyes and positively effects concentration. The road ahead is precisely and brightly illuminated. As standard, the new A-Class is equipped with LED Headlamps with integrated LED Daytime Running Lamps.
      Suspension: Agile and Comfortable
      There is a choice of suspension systems for the A-Class depending on driver preference. The line-up of wheels ranges from 17 to 19 inches.
      The front axle of the new A‑Class features a McPherson design. For models with 4MATIC, adaptive damping or larger wheels are fitted with a complex four-link rear axle. All other models have a weight-optimized torsion-beam rear axle.
      Production: Aguascalientes, Mexico and Rastatt, Germany
      Production of the new A-Class Sedan will begin this year in Aguascalientes. The COMPAS (Cooperation Manufacturing Plant Aguascalientes) joint-venture production plant in Central Mexico will expand the Mercedes-Benz Cars compact-car production network to five locations on three continents. COMPAS is a cooperative project with the Renault-Nissan Alliance. Daimler and Nissan each hold 50% of the shares in COMPAS.
      Production of the new A-Class Sedan at the Mercedes-Benz Rastatt Plant in Germany will start in 2019. Rastatt is the leading plant for compact cars in the global production network. The plant is responsible for the global production control as well as quality and supplier management. In addition, it supports smooth start-ups at the other plants by training their employees and offering other services. In April, the new generation of A-Class compacts already began coming off the line in Rastatt. 
      The all-new 2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan will celebrate its World Premiere in Brooklyn, NY in July 2018 and will go on sale in the U.S. in late 2018.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      We have seen the A-Class hatchback and the stretched A-Class sedan. Last night, Mercedes-Benz finally revealed the 2019 A-Class sedan for the U.S. This will take the place of the CLA as the entry point for Mercedes-Benz.
      The regular A-Class sedan is the same as the long-wheelbase variant in terms of design; large grille, trapezoidal headlights, and bold lines along the side. Overall length is 2.3-inches shorter than the LWB variant (179.1 vs. 181.4 inches). Interestingly, the new A-Class sedan is very close in size to the current CLA - slightly shorter in overall length (179.1 vs. 182.3 inches) but having a longer wheelbase (107.4 inches vs. 106.3 inches). Wheels range in size from 17 to 19-inches. The interior matches up with its overseas brethren with a modern dash design, and a pair of screens (either 7 or 10.25-inches) featuring the new Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX) infotainment system.
      Under the hood is a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder producing 188 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission and the choice of front or Mercedes' 4Matic all-wheel drive. An torsion-beam rear axle is standard on the front-wheel drive A-Class when equipped with 17-inch wheels. Opt for either the larger wheels or AWD and the rear suspension changes to a four-link independent setup.
      No word on pricing, but the 2019 A-Class sedan will be arriving at Mercedes-Benz dealers towards the end of the year.
      Source: Mercedes-Benz

The all-new A-Class Sedan
      Compact entry into the world of Mercedes-Benz premium sedans Jul 26, 2018 – Brooklyn: The family of compact cars from Mercedes-Benz continues to grow: the all-new A-Class Sedan will launch at the end of the year. The four-door sedan has a wheelbase of 107.4 inches and the proportions of a dynamic and simultaneously compact sedan with short front and rear overhangs and boasts impressive space in the interior. In addition, the sedan model has A-Class virtues familiar to the rest of the world. These include a new and efficient engine and high levels of safety thanks to the available state-of-the-art driving assistance systems on par with the Mercedes-Benz S-Class. The new A-Class is also the first vehicle in the Mercedes-Benz lineup to introduce the intuitively operated MBUX – Mercedes-Benz User Experience multimedia system. The all-new 2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan will celebrate its World Premiere in Brooklyn, NY in July 2018 and will go on sale in the U.S. in late 2018.
      "Following the successful start of the A-Class, things at Mercedes-Benz are happening in quick succession with regard to the new family of compacts. In response to the wish of many customers, we now offer the A-Class for the first time as a sedan," says Britta Seeger, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and responsible for Mercedes-Benz Cars Marketing and Sales. "Anyone looking for a compact, sporty sedan with a separate trunk now has a new, attractive alternative. It will attract new customers for Mercedes-Benz."
      The new generation of compacts has made a key contribution to the rejuvenation and image-change of the Mercedes-Benz brand. The launch of the four-door CLA Coupe in 2013 was the first time a compact car from Mercedes-Benz was sold in the U.S. market. In 2017, nearly one in two buyers of a Mercedes-Benz compact car in the U.S. had previously driven a competitor vehicle, and more than 50-percent of the CLA custome rs were new to Mercedes-Benz (first-time buyers and conquests).
      The 1997 A-Class originally established the compact car segment of Mercedes-Benz that exists today. Since then, more than six million models have been delivered worldwide. As the seventh model, the A-Class Sedan further expands the range of Mercedes-Benz compact cars. A logical addition, because with the C, E and S-Class, Mercedes-Benz continues to hold its position as a top-manufacturer of premium sedans.
      The key dimensions of the new A-Class Sedan:
      Length: 179.1 in Width: 70.7 in Height: 56.9 in Wheelbase: 107.4 in The A-Class Sedan offers great utility with roomy shoulder, elbow and headroom and easy access to the rear. The improvement to rear headroom space is particularly exceptional and the trunk was designed for practical usability with a large trunk opening that allows for comfortable loading and unloading of larger luggage items.
      Engine & Performance
      The A-Class Sedan will be available as an A 220 and as an A 220 4MATIC, both equipped with a 2.0L inline-4 turbocharged engine that produces 188 hp and 221 lb-ft of torque, mated to a 7G-DCT dual-clutch transmission.
      Equipment & Appointments: KEYLESS-GO® with HANDS-FREE ACCESS Available
      The standard equipment for the A 220 and A 220 4MATIC is extensive and includes the revolutionary MBUX (Mercedes-Benz User Experience multimedia system with touchscreen) with Voice Control. As with every Mercedes-Benz, safety is also a top priority, so sophisticated safety systems including Active Brake Assist and adaptive braking technology with Hill Start Assist and the HOLD function are standard. In addition, the A-Class Sedan can be customized with unique design and equipment lines including Progressive (standard) and the optional AMG Line. A Night Package is also available as an option.  
      KEYLESS-GO with HANDS-FREE ACCESS will also be one of the available options. The HANDS-FREE ACCESS function conveniently enables the hands-free and fully automatic opening of the trunk lid with a kicking motion of the foot under the rear bumper.
      Design: Superior Sportiness and Modernity
      The A-Class Sedan seamlessly embodies the design idiom of Sensual Purity with its purist design that emphasizes distinct yet harmonious surfaces. Clear, formal shapes emphasize surface areas with reduced lines and precise gaps. The new A-Class Sedan has the proportions of a dynamic and compact sedan with short front and rear overhangs.
      The deep greenhouse and compact rear-end contribute to the vehicle's dynamic boost. The 17 to 19-inch wheels and pronounced wheel arches give the A-Class Sedan a sporty stance on the road.
      The design of the front-end looks very progressive. This impression is enhanced by the low, elongated hood, the chrome slim-line headlamps, the torch-like daytime driving lights, the optional single-louvre diamond radiator grille with chrome pins and, of course, the central star.
      A precisely characterized line runs along the muscular and sensual shoulder to emphasize the perfectly contoured side volume, while the side mirrors sit on the beltline.
      The two-part taillamps emphasize the width of the rear end. The rear reflectors were relocated to the modular two-part rear bumper. Depending on the selected equipment, the rear bumper is available with a black diffuser or with a chrome trim strip and chrome tailpipe tips.
      Interior Design: Revolution from Within
      The interior of the new A-Class is completely redefined with a modern, avant-garde look. Mercedes-Benz has taken a completely new approach, revolutionizing the compact class from the inside to create a new feeling of spaciousness. The unique interior architecture is predominantly reformed by the avant-garde design of the dashboard. The designers completely dispensed with the cowl above the cockpit. As a result, the wing-shaped main body of the dashboard extends from one front door to the other with no visual discontinuity--the widescreen display is completely free-standing. The sporty turbine look of the new air vents is another highlight.
      Below the main body is a low-lying section with fenders that appear to float, as there are no connections or shape transitions to the surrounding area. The ambient lighting accentuates the free-floating impression of the substructure. The 64 colors of the optional ambient lighting make five times as many colors available than before. It is not just the variety that has increased, as the emotional presentation also sets new standards in this segment. The different colors are composed into ten color themes to create a lighting display with spectacular color changes.
      The fully free-standing cockpit is available in two configurations:
      Two 7-inch displays (standard) Two 10.25-inch displays (optional) MBUX - Mercedes-Benz User Experience: Unrivalled Experience
      The new A-Class is the first Mercedes-Benz model to feature the completely new MBUX - Mercedes-Benz User Experience multimedia system -- ushering in a new era for connectivity. A unique feature of this system is its ability to learn thanks to Artificial Intelligence. MBUX is customizable and adapts to the user, creating an emotional connection between the vehicle, driver and passengers.
      Depending on the specification, further strengths include the high-resolution widescreen cockpit concept with a touchscreen media display with Augmented Reality capabilities, a digital instrument cluster display, Intelligent voice control with natural speech recognition - activated with the keyword "Hey Mercedes." The touchscreen is part of the comprehensive MBUX touch-control concept – a triad consisting of the Touchscreen, Touchpad on the center console and Touch Control Buttons on the steering wheel. A head-up display is also optionally available.
      MBUX revolutionizes the user experience in the car. Emotionally appealing features underline the comprehensibility of the control structure through brilliant 3D maximum-resolution graphics which are calculated and displayed in real time.
      New and improved connected services are being launched with the new multimedia generation MBUX. These include the functions based on Car-to-X Communication (information from vehicle to vehicle on events recorded by sensors, e.g. emergency braking, ESP® intervention, or a manual system message from the driver, e.g. about an accident) and vehicle tracking, which makes it easier to find the parked car.
      INTELLIGENT DRIVE: Functions from the S-Class
      The A-Class is optionally available with the very latest driver assistance systems with functions adopted from the S-Class. For the first time, the A-Class is able to drive semi-autonomously in certain conditions. To do this, it keeps a close eye on the traffic situation with improved camera and radar systems that allow it to see more than 1,500 feet ahead (up to 500 meters). The A-Class also uses map and navigation data for certain assistance functions. For example, Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC® is able to provide route-based support to the driver in numerous situations and predictively adjust the speed when approaching bends, junctions or roundabouts. Active Emergency Stop Assist and the intuitive Active Lane Change Assist are also included as part of the Driver Assistance Package.
      Active Brake Assist is standard for the new A-Class. Depending on the situation, it can help to effectively mitigate or avoid the consequences of rear-end collisions with slower-moving, stopping or stationary vehicles ahead. The system can even recognize crossing pedestrians and cyclists, and can intervene or support the driver in possible collision scenarios.
      Active Lane Keeping Assist is able to warn the driver by means of pulsed vibrations in the steering wheel when the vehicle is unintentionally drifting out of its lane at speeds between approximately 37 and 125 mph. If the vehicle passes over a solid line, it can pull the vehicle back into the lane by applying the brakes on one side. In the case of a dotted line, such intervention takes place only when there is a danger of collision with a vehicle in the adjacent lane (including danger from oncoming traffic).
      PRE-SAFE® PLUS can recognize an imminent rear-end collision. If the vehicle is stationary and the danger of a collision persists, the system can also firmly apply the brakes, thus minimizing the risk of a secondary collision and of injuries by reducing the forward jolt caused by an impact from the rear.
      Passive Safety: Highly Stable Passenger Compartment and Modern Restraint Systems
      The new A-Class is also the first Mercedes-Benz model to be developed at the new Technology Centre for Vehicle Safety (TFS). The design of the vehicle structures incorporates findings from research into real accidents. Every single body shell component was developed according to loads and stresses encountered, with respect to geometry, material thickness, joining technology and material quality (increased proportion of high-strength and ultra-high-strength sheet steel).
      The centerpiece of the body's safety concept is the highly rigid passenger compartment. A greater use of high-strength, ultra-high-strength and press-hardened sheet steel results in an impressive rigidity when subjected to accident-induced stress – for example, in frontal, lateral or rear-end collisions and roll-overs.
      The driver and front passenger seats each have a three-point seat belt with a belt force limiter and belt tensioner. As standard, the new A-Class is equipped with driver and front passenger airbags, a driver's knee airbag and window airbags. Unlike in many competing models, the window airbags cover the A-pillar for more complete passenger protection. Thorax-pelvis side airbags are also standard in the front and available as an optional addition for the rear.
      LED Intelligent Light System: Optimum Visibility in All Conditions
      The optional LED Intelligent Light System is another example of the technology transfer from the luxury to the compact class. It allows for the extremely quick, precise and electronically controlled adjustment of the headlamps to suit the given traffic situation. Each headlamp features multiple individually actuated LEDs. The daylight-color of the LEDs is easy on the eyes and positively effects concentration. The road ahead is precisely and brightly illuminated. As standard, the new A-Class is equipped with LED Headlamps with integrated LED Daytime Running Lamps.
      Suspension: Agile and Comfortable
      There is a choice of suspension systems for the A-Class depending on driver preference. The line-up of wheels ranges from 17 to 19 inches.
      The front axle of the new A‑Class features a McPherson design. For models with 4MATIC, adaptive damping or larger wheels are fitted with a complex four-link rear axle. All other models have a weight-optimized torsion-beam rear axle.
      Production: Aguascalientes, Mexico and Rastatt, Germany
      Production of the new A-Class Sedan will begin this year in Aguascalientes. The COMPAS (Cooperation Manufacturing Plant Aguascalientes) joint-venture production plant in Central Mexico will expand the Mercedes-Benz Cars compact-car production network to five locations on three continents. COMPAS is a cooperative project with the Renault-Nissan Alliance. Daimler and Nissan each hold 50% of the shares in COMPAS.
      Production of the new A-Class Sedan at the Mercedes-Benz Rastatt Plant in Germany will start in 2019. Rastatt is the leading plant for compact cars in the global production network. The plant is responsible for the global production control as well as quality and supplier management. In addition, it supports smooth start-ups at the other plants by training their employees and offering other services. In April, the new generation of A-Class compacts already began coming off the line in Rastatt. 
      The all-new 2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan will celebrate its World Premiere in Brooklyn, NY in July 2018 and will go on sale in the U.S. in late 2018.
    • By William Maley
      After months of speculation and rumor, it is now official: The Detroit Auto Show will be moving from January to June in 2020.
      “Our show is undergoing its most significant transformation in the last three decades. Detroit will continue to be a global stage for some of the world’s most significant and iconic vehicle reveals and host an unparalleled international audience of media and key industry influencers,” said Rod Alberts, Executive Director of the Detroit Auto Show.
      The Detroit Auto Show has been taking a bit of beating over the past few years with various automakers pulling out to hold their own events or focus on other shows, along with the Consumer Electronics Show taking more of the spotlight. 
      Plans for the revamped show include rides and drives of new vehicles, having self-driving vehicles on public roads, experience dynamic vehicle debuts, and more. 
      "As we look to break out of the traditional auto show model, there is not a need to follow the normal show season. The new direction and focus of the show will disrupt the normal cadence of traditional shows and create a new event unparalleled in the industry," said Doug North, president of the Detroit Auto Dealers Association.
      Organizers point out the new date will drastically reduce the costs of participating in the show. Already, various automakers such as General Motors and Hyundai have praised the move. Whether it works or not remains to be seen.
      Source: North American International Auto Show

Transformational Move Announced for the North American International Auto Show
      The North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) announced that starting in 2020 the show would make a transformational move to June and will start the week of June 8th. The ability for participating brands to deliver dynamic exhibits and experiential opportunities outside of the show’s four walls for attending journalists, industry members and consumers, will provide new avenues to showcase the products and technologies on display. Delivering greater ROI through reduced costs and dynamic opportunities will be a key aspect of the future show.
      “Our show is undergoing its most significant transformation in the last three decades,” said Rod Alberts, Executive Director, NAIAS. “Detroit will continue to be a global stage for some of the world’s most significant and iconic vehicle reveals and host an unparalleled international audience of media and key industry influencers.”
      NAIAS is one of the most influential global auto events, touching all facets of the industry and attracting the largest concentration of the world’s top industry leaders – from automakers and suppliers, to tech startups and venture capitalists, to universities and policymakers.
      “The North American International Auto Show is an amazing exhibition that showcases the most innovative and creative automotive companies around the world,” said Michigan Governor Rick Snyder. “Moving the show to the summer opens up new opportunities for companies as well as creating new experiences for attendees.”
      The show is run by the Detroit Auto Dealers Association and its Executive Board. As part of the DADA and Board’s due diligence in exploring new opportunities for the show, hundreds of meetings and conversations with key stakeholders – automakers, suppliers and sponsors, as well as industry and government leaders – were had around the world.
      “Our ultimate goal is to provide an experience and opportunity for participating companies and attendees, that only Detroit can offer,” said Doug North, DADA President. “June will allow us to better showcase the automotive leadership, development and heritage our great city and region holds.”
      Embracing the Industry’s Change
      Auto show dynamics are changing globally as the auto industry undergoes its biggest shift in more than a century. With this, automakers are seeking out increasingly creative ways to debut vehicles and engage with consumers. Plans have been underway for over a year as NAIAS stands ready to embrace this evolution with its move to June and provide a fresh international platform for hundreds of brands to highlight their innovations.
      “As we look to break out of the traditional auto show model, there is not a need to follow the normal show season,” added North. “The new direction and focus of the show will disrupt the normal cadence of traditional shows and create a new event unparalleled in the industry.”
      Endless Opportunities for Brand Activations
      The reimagined show will undergo an evolution that will take the show from inside Cobo Center to a canvas of unlimited brand activation and engagement opportunities – a canvas only limited by exhibitor creativity and imagination. While the successful foundation of the show inside Cobo Center will continue with vehicles and innovative mobility technologies being showcased, transformation plans call for growth in both branding and event opportunities at multiple venues throughout Detroit, and perhaps, beyond.
      “Detroit now has the opportunity to showcase our riverfront and our revitalized downtown during our beautiful summer months and creatively use the exterior of Cobo to launch new products that will transform Detroit into an exciting auto-centric environment,” said Larry Alexander, president and CEO of the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau.
      Hosting the show in June sets the stage for exhibitors to conduct dynamic outdoor experiential brand activations, immersing and engaging the media and consumers in memorable product experiences. A sampling of outdoor experiential activities might include:
      Dynamic Vehicle Debuts Ride and Drives Autonomous/Automated Driving Off-Road Challenges It’s envisioned that activation sites will be located throughout downtown Detroit, including at some of the city’s jewels such as Hart Plaza, Detroit RiverWalk, Campus Martius, Woodward Avenue and Grand Circus Park. Activation spots might even extend beyond the downtown area to historic automotive locations or state parks such as Belle Isle.
      “The potential to create a month long automotive festival in Detroit starting with the Detroit Grand Prix, going through our show and concluding with the nationally-celebrated fireworks on the river, will provide an unmatched festival-like experience for all attendees,” added Alberts.
      Cost Benefits for Exhibitors
      The move to June will translate into substantial cost savings for exhibitors. By eliminating November, December and January holidays from the move-in equation, exhibitors will see reduced overtime labor costs for builds. Additionally, the show will have a shorter move-in schedule of three weeks, significantly reduced from the current 8 weeks on average it takes for move-in. With a reduced build time, exhibit builds will be simplified and less custom-built for Detroit, providing numerous cost savings as well.
      A Vibrant Downtown
      With ideal summer weather, a Cobo Center filled with new products and technologies, and engaging events positioned throughout the city, auto show attendees will be able to enjoy all that Detroit has to offer, will celebrating the Motor City’s love of the automobile.
      Cross-marketing events around the city will help drive excitement, energy and attendees to downtown.
      This past January, NAIAS attracted well over three-quarters of a million people to the city and generated an economic impact of $480M (according to David Sowerby, CFA, Managing Director, Portfolio Manager, Ancora) to the regional economy.
      “June provides us with exciting new opportunities that January just didn’t afford,” added Alberts. “We strongly believe we can continue to deliver a significant economic impact for our great city, and offer an event unlike anything anyone has ever experienced.”
      Comments from Automakers
      “Reinventing NAIAS as a summertime festival of design, speed and innovation is incredibly exciting. It will showcase the best of our industry and the best of Detroit, and should become a can’t miss event on the calendar for global automakers and media,” said Mark Truby, Vice President, Communications, Ford Motor Company. “The North American International Auto Show has provided GAC Motor with a tremendous platform – connecting us with key media and industry executives,” said Yu Jun, GAC Motor President. “As we look to enter the U.S. and increase our market share, Detroit will continue to serve as a critical part of our global marketing strategy and we look forward to the new exciting opportunities June will offer.” “We applaud the DADA for thinking big and really taking advantage of this opportunity to re-imagine the auto show and position Detroit in the best light. We’re excited to be a part of a festival-like series of events that showcase all the great things that are happening in both the auto industry and Detroit,” said Tony Cervone, Senior Vice President, Global Communications, General Motors Company “Hyundai is always excited to participate in the North American International Auto Show and display its products to the Motor City. We already are planning an exciting reveal in 2019. It certainly will be a new experience leaving the ski hats and Chap-Stick at home and packing our Tigers baseball caps and sunscreen. We look forward to the evolution of the show,” said Jim Trainor, Director, Hyundai Motor America. “Toyota is excited to see the North American International Auto Show move to June in 2020,” said Scott Vazin, Group Vice President and Chief Communications Officer, Toyota Motor North America. “With a new summer timeframe, industry leaders and international media will see Detroit in a new light, paving the way for exciting outdoor activities and more opportunities to explore this vibrant city.” Preparations Underway for Coming Year
      The January 2019 NAIAS looks to build off the significant buzz generated this past show where media metrics reports from PRIME Research indicate NAIAS remains the global leader among domestic
      shows in terms of influence as it garners the largest reach, number of articles and share of voice.
      “Coming off recent trips in Europe, Asia, and around the U.S., automakers, suppliers and tech companies have hinted at some important product news that is earmarked for Detroit this upcoming year,” said Bill Golling, 2019 NAIAS Chairman. “We look forward to providing a world-class platform for the over 200 brands that showcase their innovations at our show.”

View full article
    • By William Maley
      After months of speculation and rumor, it is now official: The Detroit Auto Show will be moving from January to June in 2020.
      “Our show is undergoing its most significant transformation in the last three decades. Detroit will continue to be a global stage for some of the world’s most significant and iconic vehicle reveals and host an unparalleled international audience of media and key industry influencers,” said Rod Alberts, Executive Director of the Detroit Auto Show.
      The Detroit Auto Show has been taking a bit of beating over the past few years with various automakers pulling out to hold their own events or focus on other shows, along with the Consumer Electronics Show taking more of the spotlight. 
      Plans for the revamped show include rides and drives of new vehicles, having self-driving vehicles on public roads, experience dynamic vehicle debuts, and more. 
      "As we look to break out of the traditional auto show model, there is not a need to follow the normal show season. The new direction and focus of the show will disrupt the normal cadence of traditional shows and create a new event unparalleled in the industry," said Doug North, president of the Detroit Auto Dealers Association.
      Organizers point out the new date will drastically reduce the costs of participating in the show. Already, various automakers such as General Motors and Hyundai have praised the move. Whether it works or not remains to be seen.
      Source: North American International Auto Show

Transformational Move Announced for the North American International Auto Show
      The North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) announced that starting in 2020 the show would make a transformational move to June and will start the week of June 8th. The ability for participating brands to deliver dynamic exhibits and experiential opportunities outside of the show’s four walls for attending journalists, industry members and consumers, will provide new avenues to showcase the products and technologies on display. Delivering greater ROI through reduced costs and dynamic opportunities will be a key aspect of the future show.
      “Our show is undergoing its most significant transformation in the last three decades,” said Rod Alberts, Executive Director, NAIAS. “Detroit will continue to be a global stage for some of the world’s most significant and iconic vehicle reveals and host an unparalleled international audience of media and key industry influencers.”
      NAIAS is one of the most influential global auto events, touching all facets of the industry and attracting the largest concentration of the world’s top industry leaders – from automakers and suppliers, to tech startups and venture capitalists, to universities and policymakers.
      “The North American International Auto Show is an amazing exhibition that showcases the most innovative and creative automotive companies around the world,” said Michigan Governor Rick Snyder. “Moving the show to the summer opens up new opportunities for companies as well as creating new experiences for attendees.”
      The show is run by the Detroit Auto Dealers Association and its Executive Board. As part of the DADA and Board’s due diligence in exploring new opportunities for the show, hundreds of meetings and conversations with key stakeholders – automakers, suppliers and sponsors, as well as industry and government leaders – were had around the world.
      “Our ultimate goal is to provide an experience and opportunity for participating companies and attendees, that only Detroit can offer,” said Doug North, DADA President. “June will allow us to better showcase the automotive leadership, development and heritage our great city and region holds.”
      Embracing the Industry’s Change
      Auto show dynamics are changing globally as the auto industry undergoes its biggest shift in more than a century. With this, automakers are seeking out increasingly creative ways to debut vehicles and engage with consumers. Plans have been underway for over a year as NAIAS stands ready to embrace this evolution with its move to June and provide a fresh international platform for hundreds of brands to highlight their innovations.
      “As we look to break out of the traditional auto show model, there is not a need to follow the normal show season,” added North. “The new direction and focus of the show will disrupt the normal cadence of traditional shows and create a new event unparalleled in the industry.”
      Endless Opportunities for Brand Activations
      The reimagined show will undergo an evolution that will take the show from inside Cobo Center to a canvas of unlimited brand activation and engagement opportunities – a canvas only limited by exhibitor creativity and imagination. While the successful foundation of the show inside Cobo Center will continue with vehicles and innovative mobility technologies being showcased, transformation plans call for growth in both branding and event opportunities at multiple venues throughout Detroit, and perhaps, beyond.
      “Detroit now has the opportunity to showcase our riverfront and our revitalized downtown during our beautiful summer months and creatively use the exterior of Cobo to launch new products that will transform Detroit into an exciting auto-centric environment,” said Larry Alexander, president and CEO of the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau.
      Hosting the show in June sets the stage for exhibitors to conduct dynamic outdoor experiential brand activations, immersing and engaging the media and consumers in memorable product experiences. A sampling of outdoor experiential activities might include:
      Dynamic Vehicle Debuts Ride and Drives Autonomous/Automated Driving Off-Road Challenges It’s envisioned that activation sites will be located throughout downtown Detroit, including at some of the city’s jewels such as Hart Plaza, Detroit RiverWalk, Campus Martius, Woodward Avenue and Grand Circus Park. Activation spots might even extend beyond the downtown area to historic automotive locations or state parks such as Belle Isle.
      “The potential to create a month long automotive festival in Detroit starting with the Detroit Grand Prix, going through our show and concluding with the nationally-celebrated fireworks on the river, will provide an unmatched festival-like experience for all attendees,” added Alberts.
      Cost Benefits for Exhibitors
      The move to June will translate into substantial cost savings for exhibitors. By eliminating November, December and January holidays from the move-in equation, exhibitors will see reduced overtime labor costs for builds. Additionally, the show will have a shorter move-in schedule of three weeks, significantly reduced from the current 8 weeks on average it takes for move-in. With a reduced build time, exhibit builds will be simplified and less custom-built for Detroit, providing numerous cost savings as well.
      A Vibrant Downtown
      With ideal summer weather, a Cobo Center filled with new products and technologies, and engaging events positioned throughout the city, auto show attendees will be able to enjoy all that Detroit has to offer, will celebrating the Motor City’s love of the automobile.
      Cross-marketing events around the city will help drive excitement, energy and attendees to downtown.
      This past January, NAIAS attracted well over three-quarters of a million people to the city and generated an economic impact of $480M (according to David Sowerby, CFA, Managing Director, Portfolio Manager, Ancora) to the regional economy.
      “June provides us with exciting new opportunities that January just didn’t afford,” added Alberts. “We strongly believe we can continue to deliver a significant economic impact for our great city, and offer an event unlike anything anyone has ever experienced.”
      Comments from Automakers
      “Reinventing NAIAS as a summertime festival of design, speed and innovation is incredibly exciting. It will showcase the best of our industry and the best of Detroit, and should become a can’t miss event on the calendar for global automakers and media,” said Mark Truby, Vice President, Communications, Ford Motor Company. “The North American International Auto Show has provided GAC Motor with a tremendous platform – connecting us with key media and industry executives,” said Yu Jun, GAC Motor President. “As we look to enter the U.S. and increase our market share, Detroit will continue to serve as a critical part of our global marketing strategy and we look forward to the new exciting opportunities June will offer.” “We applaud the DADA for thinking big and really taking advantage of this opportunity to re-imagine the auto show and position Detroit in the best light. We’re excited to be a part of a festival-like series of events that showcase all the great things that are happening in both the auto industry and Detroit,” said Tony Cervone, Senior Vice President, Global Communications, General Motors Company “Hyundai is always excited to participate in the North American International Auto Show and display its products to the Motor City. We already are planning an exciting reveal in 2019. It certainly will be a new experience leaving the ski hats and Chap-Stick at home and packing our Tigers baseball caps and sunscreen. We look forward to the evolution of the show,” said Jim Trainor, Director, Hyundai Motor America. “Toyota is excited to see the North American International Auto Show move to June in 2020,” said Scott Vazin, Group Vice President and Chief Communications Officer, Toyota Motor North America. “With a new summer timeframe, industry leaders and international media will see Detroit in a new light, paving the way for exciting outdoor activities and more opportunities to explore this vibrant city.” Preparations Underway for Coming Year
      The January 2019 NAIAS looks to build off the significant buzz generated this past show where media metrics reports from PRIME Research indicate NAIAS remains the global leader among domestic
      shows in terms of influence as it garners the largest reach, number of articles and share of voice.
      “Coming off recent trips in Europe, Asia, and around the U.S., automakers, suppliers and tech companies have hinted at some important product news that is earmarked for Detroit this upcoming year,” said Bill Golling, 2019 NAIAS Chairman. “We look forward to providing a world-class platform for the over 200 brands that showcase their innovations at our show.”
    • By William Maley
      When we last reported on the date change of the Detroit Auto Show, organizers had made the final decision on what month it would be held beginning in 2020 - either October or June. A new report from The Detroit News says June will be month that will be announced at a press conference on July 24th.
      Sources tell the paper that back in January that the Detroit Auto Dealers Association (DADA), organizers of the show sat down and started discussions as to moving the show. Originally, DADA had October as the month as it would move the show from the harshness of winter and give some breathing room from the Consumer Electronics Show (CES).
      But plans changed after The Detroit News interviewed General Motors' senior vice president of global communications, Tony Cervone. He said a move to June had the potential to create a "massive festival of automotive" for consumers. The hope is that this event would draw people into visiting the various venues and concerts in Detroit. Organizers released a teaser video late last month showing outdoor test tracks and vehicle displays.
      This brings us to a new twist. Ford is urging DADA to pull elements from the Goodwood Festival of Speed for this reimagined show. The Festival of Speed, being held this weekend, features a hill climb with a variety of racing and production cars, and a moving auto show that allows the press and would-be buyer to experience new vehicles. It should be noted that Ford has been a sponsor of the Festival of Speed for 23 years.
      Source: The Detroit News

View full article
  • My Clubs