2017 Fusion Titanium AWD or 2017 Escape Titanium AWD- which would u pick?

igozoom

It's time for my best friend to order a new company car and he always asks what I think he should get.  He just moved from Atlanta to Pittsburgh about six months ago, so he's giving it a little more thought than usual.  He gets a new one every two years and he was planning to get a 2016 Ford Edge Titanium AWD but his company is now charging a $2k (out of his pocket) surcharge for the Edge (the Explorer is $5k), so he's reconsidering.

His choices are the 2017 Fusion or 2017 Escape, both in Titanium trim and with AWD.  I think he should go with the Fusion since it has the 2.0L EcoBoost vs,.the 1.5L, more interior room and a rockin' Sony audio system.  He's a pretty big guy, probably 5'11" 240# and the Escape isn't a very big vehicle.  I'm 6'2" 260 and i don't fit well at all in an Escape.  But a Fusion feels like it has plenty of room and plenty of power with the 2.0L. 

I wonder how the cooled seats ($395 option) are in the Fusion?

What would you get?

I'd go for the Edge first, even with the $2k out of pocket... but the Fusion wouldn't be bad.  Aside from the new engine options and superficial updates to the looks, the Escape is starting to get a little old. 

If money was no object the Explorer is fantastic and easily my first choice. 

I'd go for the Edge first, even with the $2k out of pocket... but the Fusion wouldn't be bad.  Aside from the new engine options and superficial updates to the looks, the Escape is starting to get a little old. 

He has worked for this company for 25 years (since we were 16) and I think he became pretty spoiled prior to the recession and fuel economy wasn't on anyone's radar.  In 2007, he was in a lower position and he was still able to get an Explorer Eddie Bauer for no surcharge.  He currently has a 2013 Edge SEL FWD (with the V6, not the 2.0L EcoBoost)  and he lucked into that because the person who had it resigned.  He was driving a 2014 Fusion SE and they offered him the Edge at no surcharge.  I think he had to pay around $800 to add the moonroof, rear spoiler and a few other options to the 2014 Fusion when he ordered it.  The company that manages their fleet has strange, rather arbitrary prices for certain features. 

Ten years ago, an employee at his level could have anything up to a Lincoln MKZ (Zephyr at the time) or even a loaded F150.  His next promotion puts him at top of the regional food chain and he gets a Lincoln MKX.  That's another 18-24 months away, though.

I think he'd hate the Escape.  I've been stuck with one as a rental and it is definitely a 'compact' SUV/CUV.   It wasn't a bad vehicle, just too small.  Oddly for a rental, it had the optional 19" wheels and the ride quality and road noise were almost unbearable. 

My only "hands-on" experience with the current Explorer was a rental back in 2011 when they first came out.  It had the 2.0L EcoBoost, which was far too weak for a vehicle of that size.  I've avoided them since then. But I have noticed that they are looking much sharper lately. 

The latest refresh of the Explorer, which debuted at the 2014 LA Auto Show is fantastic. The 2.0 Ecoboost is gone in favor of the 2.3 Ecoboost, and the 3.5 V6 is still there too.  I've only ever driven the 3.5.   The interior is much improved over the 2011, probably best in its class these days aside from the really high end Jeep Grand Cherokees.  I think the new exterior is much more handsome than the 2011 model also. I am partial to the high end Jeep GC in looks, but against the Explorer it would really come down to the deal... I wouldn't walk from the Ford based on appearance.  

What industry is this anyway?

The latest refresh of the Explorer, which debuted at the 2014 LA Auto Show is fantastic. The 2.0 Ecoboost is gone in favor of the 2.3 Ecoboost, and the 3.5 V6 is still there too.  I've only ever driven the 3.5.   The interior is much improved over the 2011, probably best in its class these days aside from the really high end Jeep Grand Cherokees.  I think the new exterior is much more handsome than the 2011 model also. I am partial to the high end Jeep GC in looks, but against the Explorer it would really come down to the deal... I wouldn't walk from the Ford based on appearance.  

I'm a big fan of the Grand Cherokee.  I travel about 60% of the time for my job and rent a lot of cars.  I'm a loyal Budget customer because they note my car preferences in their system and actually pay attention to them.  If I can't get a Volvo (for the seats alone, if nothing else), the Grand Cherokee, Ford Taurus Limited and Nissan Maxima are my picks.  The last time I went to L.A. I got a JGC and it was the Overland trim level instead of the Limited that I usually get.  The interior was pretty amazing.  I'd buy a Grand Cherokee if it wasn't for the quality and long-term reliability issues.  My mom had a '95 Grand Cherokee Laredo that I ended up with as a second car and I just sold it in 2013 with 280k miles on it.  It was bullet-proof (except for electrical issues) but I just don't trust anything from Chrysler (or should I say FIAT)....

My friend works in the restaurant industry.  Think double arches and it's not hard to figure out.  I'm the one who went to college and went to work for top accounting firm, then for one of the best insurance companies in the industry. But he makes about 3x what I do and, at 41, he could retire today if he wanted. 

I'm a big fan of the Grand Cherokee.  I travel about 60% of the time for my job and rent a lot of cars.  I'm a loyal Budget customer because they note my car preferences in their system and actually pay attention to them.  If I can't get a Volvo (for the seats alone, if nothing else), the Grand Cherokee, Ford Taurus Limited and Nissan Maxima are my picks.  The last time I went to L.A. I got a JGC and it was the Overland trim level instead of the Limited that I usually get.  The interior was pretty amazing.  I'd buy a Grand Cherokee if it wasn't for the quality and long-term reliability issues.  My mom had a '95 Grand Cherokee Laredo that I ended up with as a second car and I just sold it in 2013 with 280k miles on it.  It was bullet-proof (except for electrical issues) but I just don't trust anything from Chrysler (or should I say FIAT)....

My friend works in the restaurant industry.  Think double arches and it's not hard to figure out.  I'm the one who went to college and went to work for top accounting firm, then for one of the best insurance companies in the industry. But he makes about 3x what I do and, at 41, he could retire today if he wanted. 

Neat! I travel a lot for work also, but I'm limited to National due to the contract we have with them.... I usually get good stuff.  Last week I had a new Ford Mustang Convertible ecoboost.  

I'll be out to one of my offices in Illinois next week... it's right across the street from the headquarters of your friend's company. 

Neat! I travel a lot for work also, but I'm limited to National due to the contract we have with them.... I usually get good stuff.  Last week I had a new Ford Mustang Convertible ecoboost.  

I'll be out to one of my offices in Illinois next week... it's right across the street from the headquarters of your friend's company.

That would be in Oak Brook, right?  I went up there a few years ago when he won a big award and the only family he has is a sister and  me (when you meet in the 7th grade and endure high school together and are still friends after 28 years, you're family).  McD's flew us (me and his sister's family) up for the award dinner and it was a very nice area. 

McD's also has a contract with National and that's who he rents from when he flies back to visit.  He's had some cool rentals and a few that were not so much.  He had a Jeep Cherokee when he was home for Christmas and he said it was the worst thing he's ever driven.   Apparently, he hasn't had a Jeep Compass or Latitude, although it would be a close three-way finish for the worst.  It's amazing that the same company makes the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler.  IF only the JGC DNA could trickle down (and without any Italiian influence....yes, FIAT, I'm looking at you)!

I flew up to Pittsburgh for Thanksgiving week to visit and he flew back with me to visit his sister and her kids.  We ended up with a 2016 KIA Sorento LX AWD and it was pretty impressive overall.  High quality, looked good and drove great as far as ride quality and handling.  But they should really re-think offering a vehicle of that size with the added weight of AWD and the base 2.4L 4-cylinder!  It had a 3rd row seat that was actually usable, but the idea of seven people in that car with that engine is scary!  I think the only thing I've ever driven with weaker acceleration was a FIAT 500, and I'm not even sure that's really a car. =)

Edited by Drew Dowdell
Fixed the quoting mishap

I'm strongly leaning towards a CPO Grand Cherokee to replace my old GC sometime later this year... not sure I want to drive a 16 yr old vehicle w/ 162k cross country when I move.

What year(s) are you considering?  The current model was introduced in 2011 but got a number of improvements and upgrades for 2014.  One of the biggest updates was a new 8-speed automatic to replace the prior 5-speed auto.  Fuel economy ratings went up slightly but the best part was that 0-60 times with the standard V6 were cut by almost 1.5 seconds.  On the down side, the 2014 also got a new gearshift that is a PAIN in the BUTT!  Auto reviewers hate it, dealers hate it and I hate it.  It's tough to figure out what gear you're in and making a quick change, such as when you're making a U-turn and can't quite make it, so you need to back up a bit, is impossible.  I got stuck in that very situation but then I remember I was in a 4WD Grand Cherokee, left it in Drive and drove over the curb and bushes in my way back onto the road. =)

The 2013 is the most reliable and has the fewest issues according to TrueDelta.com and CR.  The 2014 has had some problems but a lot of them are on models with the optional ($5k) 3.0L diesel engine.  Regardless which year you choose, there's a heck of a lot to love about them.  They look great, the 3.6L Pentastar V6 has plenty of power and the interior is best-in-class.  The CPO warranty would make me feel more confident, too.  Just be sure to check out the Carfax and AutoCheck reports on any used/CPO models you're considering.  There are varying points of view on this, but I simply would NOT buy a former rental car (see previous account of driving over curbs and bushes).   A lot of CPO cars are from rental fleets, but most will be Laredo models.  If it's in your budget, the Limited is well worth it!

Can you friend pick anything other than Fords?

Yup, Oak Brook. I have to go there at least 4 times a year.

The last few rentals I had were pretty good. There was the Mustang Convertible I mentioned (the other option was a Patriot, I nearly laughed in the lady's face). Then going backwards I had a fairly base 2015 Camaro, a loaded JGC Limited, a nicely equipped new Maxima, and a loaded 2016 Yukon SLT (last trip to Oak Brook).  I've had others as well, but my memory fades.   I'm 80% to 90% travel typically, but hoping to dial it back a bit this year. 

I'm strongly leaning towards a CPO Grand Cherokee to replace my old GC sometime later this year... not sure I want to drive a 16 yr old vehicle w/ 162k cross country when I move.

What year(s) are you considering?  The current model was introduced in 2011 but got a number of improvements and upgrades for 2014.  One of the biggest updates was a new 8-speed automatic to replace the prior 5-speed auto.  Fuel economy ratings went up slightly but the best part was that 0-60 times with the standard V6 were cut by almost 1.5 seconds.  On the down side, the 2014 also got a new gearshift that is a PAIN in the BUTT!  Auto reviewers hate it, dealers hate it and I hate it.  It's tough to figure out what gear you're in and making a quick change, such as when you're making a U-turn and can't quite make it, so you need to back up a bit, is impossible.  I got stuck in that very situation but then I remember I was in a 4WD Grand Cherokee, left it in Drive and drove over the curb and bushes in my way back onto the road. =)

The 2013 is the most reliable and has the fewest issues according to TrueDelta.com and CR.  The 2014 has had some problems but a lot of them are on models with the optional ($5k) 3.0L diesel engine.  Regardless which year you choose, there's a heck of a lot to love about them.  They look great, the 3.6L Pentastar V6 has plenty of power and the interior is best-in-class.  The CPO warranty would make me feel more confident, too.  Just be sure to check out the Carfax and AutoCheck reports on any used/CPO models you're considering.  There are varying points of view on this, but I simply would NOT buy a former rental car (see previous account of driving over curbs and bushes).   A lot of CPO cars are from rental fleets, but most will be Laredo models.  If it's in your budget, the Limited is well worth it!

Look for the 3.6 + the 8-Speed and 2014+.  They fixed the stupid shifter for 2016... the 2015 and older with the 8-speed are just a dumb interface....  Even after driving it for a week I had a hard time getting used to it. 

• Upvote 1

Look for the 3.6 + the 8-Speed and 2014+.  They fixed the stupid shifter for 2016... the 2015 and older with the 8-speed are just a dumb interface....  Even after driving it for a week I had a hard time getting used to it. 

I've been looking around a bit the last couple months..the hardest part is finding one w/ 4WD...most on the lots are 2WD in the Phoenix area...

Can you friend pick anything other than Fords?

Yup, Oak Brook. I have to go there at least 4 times a year.

The last few rentals I had were pretty good. There was the Mustang Convertible I mentioned (the other option was a Patriot, I nearly laughed in the lady's face). Then going backwards I had a fairly base 2015 Camaro, a loaded JGC Limited, a nicely equipped new Maxima, and a loaded 2016 Yukon SLT (last trip to Oak Brook).  I've had others as well, but my memory fades.   I'm 80% to 90% travel typically, but hoping to dial it back a bit this year. 

Unfortunately, their entire fleet is Ford.  Before Mercury got the ax, I think they might have been their biggest customer. =)  People tired of the Ford model would switch to the badge-engineered Mercury version.  Only the Regional VP and top-level folks at Oak Brook can order Lincolns. 

They were field-testing the Mazda6, Mazda CX-5, Nissan Altima and Nissan Rogue last year.  I'm friends with the guy who does all of the fleet stuff for Atlanta and he told me that it takes at least one year after the testing data is complied and analyzed before they even consider adding them to fleet choices. He heard that the Mazdas were doing very well but the Nissans not so much.  That's exactly what I would've expected. I despise CVTs but I tolerate it in the Maxima because the car is great otherwise and with the V6, the CVT isn't quite as annoying.

For the 2017 models, Ford is adding 'stop/start' to the Escape with either EcoBoost engine.  I wouldn't want it for that reason alone!  If BMW, Volvo and other companies can't get it right, I'm afraid that Ford will be even worse.  I have a 2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design but it has had some issues, lets call them 'teething problems' and I've spent quite a bit of time in loaners from the Volvo dealer.   All of their 'Drive-E' 4-cylinder models have stop/start and it sucks.  The restart is the worst part- it shudders and sometimes doesn't happen until you've already put pressure on the gas pedal- sort of like revving a car to 4000rpm then shifting from Neutral to Drive!  (Sidebar- my V60 is leased, I love it but i didn't want to own it out of warranty, so I leased and I think my instinct was right....but it hasn't been in the shop for several months, so maybe the worst is over.  The plus side is that I'm on a first name basis with every person in the Service Dept, from the Service Manager down to the Porters and Techs.)

I've been looking around a bit the last couple months..the hardest part is finding one w/ 4WD...most on the lots are 2WD in the Phoenix area...

Yeah, probably not a lot of demand for 4x4 in Phoenix.  I took my cousin to look at Volvos in Los Angeles and I was surprised to find quite a few that had every option except Heated Seats or the Climate Package which includes them.  But when would they need them???  And you guys are kind of isolated (no other major cities within a reasonable distance where you could look). 

You mentioned moving cross-country- where are you headed? 

Yeah, probably not a lot of demand for 4x4 in Phoenix.  I took my cousin to look at Volvos in Los Angeles and I was surprised to find quite a few that had every option except Heated Seats or the Climate Package which includes them.  But when would they need them???  And you guys are kind of isolated (no other major cities within a reasonable distance where you could look). 

The Cleveland area or Pittsburgh area...back to my roots..made a couple trips back last year to check out neighborhoods and a few open houses, going back in a couple months to do some more investigation... for lots of reasons, I'm burnt out on AZ and am looking for greenery, gray winter skies, rivers and lakes and urban grit..and be within an hour of my mother and brother and my Mustangs--like to see them more often.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The Cleveland area or Pittsburgh area...back to my roots..made a couple trips back last year to check out neighborhoods and a few open houses, going back in a couple months to do some more investigation... for lots of reasons, I'm burnt out on AZ and am looking for greenery, gray winter skies, rivers and lakes and urban grit..and be within an hour of my mother and brother and my Mustangs--like to see them more often.

Cool...literally!  I'm leaving next Wednesday (2/10) for Pittsburgh to visit my best friend.  This is the first time I've driven, but it's only about 650 miles and I hear West Virginia is beautiful. 

I looked around on Cars.com and AutoTrader.com and found a few CPO 4x4 Grand Cherokees that weren't former rentals.  I also found some low mileage ones that were still under factory warranty.  According to the Jeep website, the Powertrain Warranty is transferable, so that might be something to consider if you can't find a CPO.  I saw two sharp ones that were both lease returns (2014 models, I think).  I used a search radius of 150 miles from Phoenix.  I'm not sure if we can mention dealership names here, so I'll just say look in Mesa, Tempe and Scottsdale and see if you find anything.

• Upvote 1

^^^^^ Fusion and Escape, albeit good rides, are starting to get a bit dated.  The 17 updates would help each of them though.  Edge is still where it's at.

Hmmm...Why not one-up the Titanium and get the incoming Sport or Platinum. They you're friend is getting a Lincoln level upgrade before he gets promoted again?

Unless the decision is time sensitive. 

I would get the hybrid Titanium, because I think on that trim, it becomes a no-cost option next to the 2.0T. 

Well, I really just read something about oil that I'll never unsee...

^^^^^ Fusion and Escape, albeit good rides, are starting to get a bit dated.  The 17 updates would help each of them though.  Edge is still where it's at.

Both of them are heading into their 5th model year,  so I agree they're getting a bit long in the tooth.  Thankfully, they've resolved the nightmare that was the Ford MyTouch system.  In my opinion, the Fusion is aging better than the Escape, at least in terms of design and styling.  Ford is really stretching the role of the Fusion for 2017 as well.  They recently announced that 2016 is the final year that the Taurus will be sold in the U.S. (apparently it's big in China and they'll keep sending them as long as they sell).  The 2013-2016 Fusion has had three trim levels- bare-bones S, mainstream SE and upscale Titanium.  For 2017, two more trims are added to the mix- the Sport (with 2.7L EcoBoost V6) and the top dog will be the Platinum which pushes the $40k mark with AWD. 

It's interesting how long cars go between total redesigns compared to how it was 20 years ago.  I remember when Honda was on 4-year product cycles with a re-fresh after 2-years.  You could set a clock by it.  Now some designs go upward of a decade with a few facelifts and 'freshenings' along the way. 

Hmmm...Why not one-up the Titanium and get the incoming Sport or Platinum. They you're friend is getting a Lincoln level upgrade before he gets promoted again?

Unless the decision is time sensitive. 

I would get the hybrid Titanium, because I think on that trim, it becomes a no-cost option next to the 2.0T. 

Well, I really just read something about oil that I'll never unsee...

For reasons that defy logic and are unknown to me, he can't get a hybrid version even if the cost is the same as the gas version that he can get!  The Sport won't make the cut because of the fuel economy and I'd hate to see the surcharge he'd have to pay for the Platinum model! 

The decision is time-sensitive, unfortunately.  The order cycle rolls around once every 3mos and company policy requires him to order if his current vehicle has more than 52k miles or more than 22 months old.  He has 58k miles and it's past the 24-month mark, so he has no choice but to do it now (in about two weeks, actually and he'll get the vehicle in 3-4 months).  His next promotion, which should occur in the next 18-24mos will come with a Lincoln MKX, unless he would prefer a Ford instead.

Actually, it's quite the opposite. I think product cycles are getting shorter and shorter overall.

Ford just got a nice break with the Fusion. It was a great vehicle when it came out, especially in relation to domestic rivals, which put it on top by default.

And now - the refresh does keep it from being down-trodden, but the Sport and Platinum I'm sure pick it up and push it up even further.

It's getting to the point that I would tell someone who told me they wanted a CLA or Verano or ILX and tell them to spend a couple thousand dollars more ot get a maxed out Sport. Lose out a bit in terms of fit and finish, but gain everywhere else. Gain more vehicle too.

Interesting.

I would think a big corp like the double arches would be all about reducing the refined crude it uses. Whether it's in their burgers or in their gas tanks - it really shouldn't matter, no?

It's funny that you mention that.  Used grease/oil from restaurants can be used in bio-diesel engines.  They could be making their own fuel...

Actually, it's quite the opposite. I think product cycles are getting shorter and shorter overall.

Ford just got a nice break with the Fusion. It was a great vehicle when it came out, especially in relation to domestic rivals, which put it on top by default.

And now - the refresh does keep it from being down-trodden, but the Sport and Platinum I'm sure pick it up and push it up even further.

It's getting to the point that I would tell someone who told me they wanted a CLA or Verano or ILX and tell them to spend a couple thousand dollars more ot get a maxed out Sport. Lose out a bit in terms of fit and finish, but gain everywhere else. Gain more vehicle too.

I was booking a rental car earlier today and I always book a 'Premium' level car.  I usually use Budget but there is a European company called Sixt that started operating in 12 airports about two years ago,  They've expanded since (not sure how many locations they have now) but they have some amazing deals sometimes and I take advantage.  Their lowest-tier of 'premium' cars include the A3, 320i, CLA and S60.  The next level is the A4, 328i, C-class and a few others.  The premium SUV class starts with the Buick Encore (pause for laughter), X1, GLA and XC60, with the X3, GLK, Q3 and I think they just added the Lincoln MKC. 

The A3 is actually a very impressive car, period.  The 320i is just a 328i with its cojones whacked off.  But the CLA and GLA are a joke and I can't believe people are buying them!  They're such a desperate attempt to enter the low-30k price segment and they really look and feel more like some of the less impressive cars in the $20k segment!  I'm not a fan of any current M-B products anyway, but a base $18k VW Golf has a much higher quality interior and better assembly quality than any CLA.  It actually seems a bit like the German version of the Cadillac Cimarron....

I can forgive BMW for the 320i, but most of the people who buy them are what we used to refer to as 'poseurs'! =)  If you can't afford a 328i, maybe you're not quite ready for a BMW yet.  But it still retains all of the virtues of the 328i and higher 3-series models. All they did was reprogram the ECM to reduce the horsepower and remove features to create it.  It still feels rock solid and drives like a BMW should. 

The only fault I can find in the A3 is that it's a little snug for guys like me who are 6'2" and pushing 250#.  That's why they make larger Audi models, right?  The A3 and, to some extent, the 320i only exacerbate the fact that the CLA (and it's GLA sibling) sucks! 

If Acura had introduced the much-improved 2016 ILX back in 2013 instead of the sad little Civic with a cheap suit and clip-on tie, I would probably like it...or at least tolerate it.  But the 2016 is still just a very good Civic (with a TSX engine).  Maybe they'll do better on the next go-round?   

Like you, I don't get people who buy cars like the CLA/GLA, Buick Encore or Verano or even the Lexus IS250. I would much rather have a Mazda3 s Grand Touring which feels more like a premium car than any of them and better moves than they'll ever have.  But some people are all about the emblem on the trunk and not the substance  or quality of what's under the skin.  That's what I love about my Volvo.  It doesn't have the 'social status' of a BMW, M-B or even a Lexus.  But it does 'feel' premium, actually it feels different from any other car I've ever driven, and people in the know realize that Volvo is a premium car for someone who cares about substance over the superficial.