William Maley

2016 Chicago Auto Show: 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro: Comments

When Toyota redesigned the Tacoma last year, we wondered if a TRD Pro version would be coming as well. Today at the Chicago Auto Show, Toyota revealed the 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro.

The Tacoma TRD Pro begins with the suspension as Toyota has added a set of FOX 2.5-inch internal bypass shocks, TRD front springs that raise the ride height by an inch, and a set of progressive-rate off-road leaf springs. The four-wheel drive system comes with a limited-slip differential, Crawl Control and Multi-Terrain Select. A set Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain tires come with a set of sixteen-inch TRD wheels.

Power comes from a 3.5L 278 horsepower and 265 pound-feet of torque. There is a choice between a six-speed manual or automatic.

Outside, the Tacoma TRD Pro comes with the old school TOYOTA emblem on the grille, TRD Pro badging finished in black, hood scoop, and a skid plate. Inside are a set of leather seats with the TRD logo embroidered, leather-wrapped steering wheel, Toyota's Entune infotainment system with navigation, and a mount for a GoPro camera.

The Tacoma TRD Pro arrives at dealers this fall.

Source: Toyota

Press Release is on Page 2

2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro - - Dirtier Than Ever!

• Toyota Kicks Up More Dust with the Debut of the Newest Tacoma TRD Pro Off-Road Pickup

CHICAGO, Feb. 11, 2016 - - Whether tackling treacherous snow-covered terrain, driving off the beaten path, or surviving extreme conditions where roads fear to tread, the adrenaline-pumping TRD Pro Series from Toyota is up for any challenge. Two years ago, the TRD Pro Series arose from Toyota’s storied off-road racing heritage, with its numerous victories in the grueling Baja off-road endurance races. Born from this experience, the Toyota TRD Pro Series Tacoma, Tundra, and 4Runner have helped serious off-roaders go places they never dreamed possible.

This fall, the Toyota Tacoma will rejoin the 2017 model year TRD Pro family with all-new factory-installed off-road equipment designed by the experts at Toyota Racing Development (TRD) to make it even more off-road capable than before.

Aimed squarely at extreme off-roading enthusiasts who challenge themselves and their trucks and SUV’s in some of the harshest conditions, the new 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro will raise the bar on TRD Pro performance. Courtesy of TRD, the new Tacoma TRD Pro will add an array of new performance equipment and features, making this a truly second-generation TRD Pro product, and the new benchmark for challenging off-road terrain.

Extreme Exterior for Extreme Performance
The 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro is designed to not only look tough, but to perform in the toughest off-road environment. Based on the Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab Short Bed model in either 6-speed manual (with clutch start-cancel switch) or 6-speed automatic transmission, the new Tacoma TRD Pro will be available in three exterior colors: Cement, Barcelona Red Metallic, and Super White. The exterior of each Tacoma TRD Pro model will also include:

• 16-inch TRD black alloy wheels with Goodyear Wrangler® All-Terrain Kevlar®-reinforced tires
  • TRD Pro aluminum front skid plate
  • Rigid Industries® LED fog lights
  • Projector-beam headlights with black bezels, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL), and auto on/off feature
  • Taillights with black bezels
  • TRD Pro badge on front door with diamond-pattern knurled finish
  • Black TRD Pro and 4x4 rear tailgate badging

Each Tacoma TRD Pro will also come equipped with a heritage-inspired TOYOTA front grille with color-keyed surround, blacked out hood scoop and graphic, color-keyed power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators, color-keyed door handles, black overfenders, and a color-keyed rear bumper.

Interior Sportiness Combined with Convenience Technology
Driving a sporty package in rugged off-road conditions does not mean you can’t ride in comfort and with the latest safety and convenience technologies. The new Tacoma TRD Pro combines sportiness and convenience with standard features that include:

• Black TRD Pro leather-trimmed heated front seats with TRD Pro logo located in the headrest
  • 4-way adjustable driver’s seat with lumbar support and 4-way adjustable front passenger seat
  • Entune™ Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite
  • TRD shift knob
  • TRD Pro floor mats
  • Leather-trimmed tilt/telescopic steering wheel with audio and Bluetooth® hands-free phone controls
  • Rear parking assist sonar
  • Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)

The new Tacoma TRD Pro also includes an analog instrumentation that features a 4.2-inch color Multi-Information Display (MID) with an integrated inclinometer and tilt gauge. The MID also adds outside temperature, odometer, tripmeters, and average fuel economy.

As in all Tacoma models, a GoPro® mount is located on the windshield for serious off-roaders who like to document their exploits with GoPro® HERO cameras.

Pro Performance
The new 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro continues to be all about off-road performance as it strives to raise the bar from the original. The Tacoma TRD Pro will be powered by a 3.5-Liter V6 DOHC 24-valve direct-injection Atkinson-cycle engine with VVT-iW (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Wide) intake and VVT-I exhaust.

Tacoma TRD Pro really earns its off-road cred through its TRD-installed suspension and exhaust enhancements that include:

• FOX 2.5 Internal Bypass shocks tuned by TRD
  • TRD-tuned front springs with a 1-inch lift
  • TRD-tuned rear suspension with progressive-rate off-road leaf spring

Every Tacoma TRD Pro will be equipped with 4WDemand part-time 4WD with a transfer case and Automatic Limited-Slip Differential (Auto LSD) that are both electronically-controlled. Also standard will be a V6 Tow Package that includes a Class-IV towing receiver hitch, ATF cooler (automatic only), engine oil cooler, power steering cooler, 130-amp alternator, 4- and 7-pin connector with convertor, and Trailer-Sway Control (TSC).

An electronically controlled locking rear differential is also standard to help distribute engine power evenly to both rear wheels so they move at the same speed, providing more grip in low-traction conditions.

When the trail gets challenging, Tacoma TRD Pro’s Crawl Control (CRAWL) will help drivers conquer their off-road adventure. Equipped on automatics only, this advanced system automatically modulates the throttle and brakes on five low-speed settings so you can keep your focus on navigating across difficult terrain.

Equipped on Tacoma TRD Pro automatic is the Toyota Multi-terrain Select system. With five modes to choose from, the system helps regulate wheel spin by automatically adjusting the engine throttle and traction control. When combined with the standard Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain tires with tough Kevlar construction, Multi-terrain Select helps enhance traction dramatically, meaning you can get back to the fun more quickly.

Tacoma TRD Pro’s Hill Start Assist Control (HAC), equipped on automatic transmission models only, helps you safely get up those hills. This technology helps minimize Tacoma from rolling backward when you move your foot from the brake to the gas pedal, so you can move upward with confidence.

The added traction of 4WD is great, but with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC), it’s even better! Equipped only on the Tacoma TRD Pro manual, A-TRAC is a 4WD traction control system that uses the 4-channel ABS system to control power flow to the front and rear wheels, all without cutting throttle input, to help make traction no matter where you may be.

View full article

I give them credit for building a solid off road truck, but their Predator look design is so tiring and just ugly to me.

I'm with Frisky, I think this looks awesome! The Tacoma looks much more "truck-like" to me.

If I had the money for one of these I'd love to drive one every day.

Chevy's already gone nutcase on their special editions.  Co-worker really wants a green shortbed 3.6 4X4 Z71 (he currently has a sweet bright yellow S-10 ZR2 extended cab from back in the day), which would be competitively priced.  He went to a semi-local auto show, sawr a blue, crewcab Z71 Trail Boss Duramax with a sticker price of  + - $50k.  FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS for a Colorado!  Here we go again with GM's outrageous pricing structure.  Trail Boss package alone is SEVEN GRAND... and for what?  Black trim and tires?

Yeah Chevy offers 55 different appearance packages and not-a-one will compete with a Tacoma TRD Pro off the beaten path. 

Apparently this is all you get in that 7k purchase, lol. 

Z71 Trail Boss:

Z71 Trail Boss
  • Sport bar with LED trail lighting
  • 17-inch Black painted wheels
  • Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac®265/65R17 all-terrain tires

• Black 3-inch round rocker steps
  • Spray-on bedliner
  • Black Chevrolet bowtie emblems
  • Black fender flares
  • All-weather floor mats with Z71 logo

It's an honest truck... except for that fake hood scoop. Why not make it functional and give it some cajones under the hood to boot? Your move, Chevy.

Yeah you'd think they could just slap a mild tune on it for an extra like 15hp/10tq or something.. Mostly just to say it's more powerful. I mean it already gets pretty poor mileage and then the mild lift and tires kill any idea of getting decent mileage out of a smaller truck so might as well give it a little more power. 

It's an honest truck... except for that fake hood scoop. Why not make it functional and give it some cajones under the hood to boot? Your move, Chevy.

Yeah you'd think they could just slap a mild tune on it for an extra like 15hp/10tq or something.. Mostly just to say it's more powerful. I mean it already gets pretty poor mileage and then the mild lift and tires kill any idea of getting decent mileage out of a smaller truck so might as well give it a little more power. 

Both Chevy and GMC needs to offer Hummer Packages that give you real world off road prowess. :metal:

Both Chevy and GMC needs to offer Hummer Packages that give you real world off road prowess. :metal:

Yeah, Chevy has the balls to make a 650hp/tq, $100,000 Corvette and a $75,000, 508hp stripped out track Z/28 but they won't even touch anything that even looks at dirt. 

My ultimate Colorado would be a Duramax regular cab LT 4X4 with 31" tires, G80 locker and a goddamned stickshift.  In a color green that doesn't cost $400 extra.

It's focused, it's well differentiated, and it quite easily looks after hard-core, off roading customer's needs or need for the capability, even if it won't really be used.

I think Toyota understands its Tacoma buyers like clockwork. 

It's so good, that I don't think that Ford could for example execute a Ranger "Raptor" or a Raptor Ranger all that well, unless it sunk a ton of coin into doing so. Nah, I take that back, it just won't even happen. Toronto Raptor Ranger (inside joke "nahhh...it won't ever even happen "6 rings b!tch").... Anyways I digress no more. It's gonna continue to build up the Toyota off-roading legacy,

I see lots of lifted, off-road looking trucks around here, very popular in AZ....very few probably go off-road, though...most look too clean and polished..

I see lots of lifted, off-road looking trucks around here, very popular in AZ....very few probably go off-road, though...most look too clean and polished..

Not a lot of mud in AZ, is there?  Aren't these stud muffins usually out climbing rocks with their trucks and "going fishing" with their bros?

My ultimate Colorado would be a Duramax regular cab LT 4X4 with 31" tires, G80 locker and a goddamned stickshift.  In a color green that doesn't cost $400 extra.

The Tacoma can be had with a manual transmission in all of their trims ;)

What's the G80 locker as opposed to what the truck already has for a 4 wheel drive system? I've heard the brand/model/name before but never really knew WHAT it did better than a factory locking system.

Yeah, I've driven Tacomas, they wouldn't make a pimple on a Colorado's butt cheek.  :)

The G80 is a mechanical locking rear end that works at low speeds to power the truck over obstacles if a significant enough speed differential is detected between the rear wheels.  It cuts power to the slipping wheel and applies it to the opposite wheel, until the obstacle is traversed.

It is definitely the only Toyota product I would consider right now. But I would seriously consider it if it made any logical sense for me to own a truck. 

It is definitely the only Toyota product I would consider right now. But I would seriously consider it if it made any logical sense for me to own a truck. 

Oh, i would of-road the heckens out of it lol. 

I like it.  it is probably the single Toyota product I would consider purchasing right now.

Gotta disagree with you Stew, that is such an Ugly truck plus so far the Tacoma has not impressed me even in TRD PRO package. Would take a Diesel GM Mid size truck over this.

I like it.  it is probably the single Toyota product I would consider purchasing right now.

Gotta disagree with you Stew, that is such an Ugly truck plus so far the Tacoma has not impressed me even in TRD PRO package. Would take a Diesel GM Mid size truck over this.

Oh, don't get me wong, I think he GM wins are superior in nearl every way.  More refined, more power, better FE, Far nicer inside, and much better looking outside.  I just think this is the most complete TRD Pro package et and I am enticed by the off-road capabilities.   GM's refusal to offer a more serious off-road package or at the very least decent ground clearance on the Trail Boss is what irks me. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      30 years ago at the Chicago Auto Show, Mazda pulled the sheet off a small roadster called the MX-5 Miata. Little did anyone know how much of an impact this little car would make in the world. Today, Mazda honored this anniversary by introducing the 2019 MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary Edition.
      Available both as the soft-top and RF hard-top, it comes in a new Racing Orange paint color that Mazda says evokes "the breaking dawn of an exciting new day." A set of 17-inch Rays ZE40 forged aluminum wheels are based on the wheels used on the MX-5 Cup race car.
      All versions of the 30th Anniversary get Recaro seats, Brembo brakes, Bose sound system and compatibility with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Opt for the manual and it includes limited-slip differential, Bilstein shocks, and a front shock tower brace.
      Mazda is planning on building 3,000 MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary Editions, with 500 coming to the U.S. Pricing ranges from $34,995 for the manual soft-top to $39,995 for the RF automatic. But you have missed your chance to order one. Car and Driver notes that Mazda has sold out of the allotment for the U.S. within four hours of opening the order books.
      Gallery: 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary
      Source: Mazda

Mazda Announces 2019 MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary
      Celebrating 30 years, MX-5 Miata isn't just a car, it's a cultural movement 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary will be available for pre-order with a starting MSRP* of $34,995 This special edition MX-5 Miata is equipped with a SKYACTIV-G 2.0L engine rated to deliver 181 horsepower Exclusive features include Racing Orange exterior paint and interior accents, special serial number badging, RAYS 17-inch forged alloy wheels and RECARO sports seats with Alcantara seating surface CHICAGO, Feb. 7, 2019 -- In 1989 the Chicago Auto Show played host to one of Mazda's biggest milestones, the debut of the MX-5 Miata. Now, 30 years later, Mazda is proud to share another milestone at the Chicago Auto Show with the world premiere of the 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary.
      Continuing to embrace the philosophy of the original 1989 MX-5 Miata, this special edition represents three decades of history. A history that has been filled with so many people, from the passionate Mazda engineers who created the first-generation MX-5 as a homage to early lightweight European sportscars, to the succeeding development engineers who took up the challenge to build on the high ambitions of their predecessors. Collectively, they all helped the MX-5 reach amazing heights, from being the first car to win both World Car of the Year and World Design of the Year in the same year with the current generation MX-5 Miata in 2016, to achieving production of the one millionth unit in April 2016. In total, the MX-5 has won over 280 awards, as of January 2019, with many of those accolades thanks to the unshakable support of Mazda owners and fans all over the world. This special edition is meant to commemorate all these milestones and the important people that have been part of this special journey, especially Mazda's enthusiastic fans.
      The 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary, offered in both soft top and RF models, builds upon the 2019 Mazda MX-5 Grand Touring, which added many new features including a newly refined powertrain rated to deliver 181 horsepower and 151 pound-feet of torque; a 17 percent increase over the previous model year. The first noticeable new feature is the exclusive Racing Orange exterior paint color. This strikingly vivid color pays homage to the yellow MX-5 Miata Club Racer that also debuted at the 1989 Chicago Auto Show. Racing Orange is meant to represent sunrise and anticipation, while staying true to the characteristics of a pure sports car. The roof on RF is painted Racing Orange, while the soft top will feature a black cloth top. The theme continues to the interior with orange interior louvers and orange piping on the heated RECARO sports seats. The seats in this special edition are wrapped in Alcantara, which is also found in the door inserts and lower instrument panel. All of these features help to further enhance the customer's sense of exclusivity and pride of ownership.
      To contrast the brilliant color, the new RAYS ZE40 17-inch Dark Gunmetal forged alloy wheels play up the MX-5's driving legacy. Customers may notice these wheels are based on the Global MX-5 Cup Car, further connecting the iconic roadster's anniversary edition to its racing roots.
      Standard in all 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary models are Apple CarPlayTM and Android AutoTM infotainment technologies. Also standard is SiriusXM with three-month subscription and new SiriusXM three-year Traffic Plus and Travel Link® subscription.
      No special edition would be complete without the appropriate badging. Each 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary model will be affixed with a special "30th Anniversary" serialized badging on the driver's side rear quarter panel to help commemorate 30 years of endless gratitude and unbending determination to keep evolving.
      Production of 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary model will be limited to a total of just 3,000 units worldwide. In the U.S., there will be a total of 500 non-sequentially badged units available through a custom build to order website at www.mazdausa.com/30th-anniversary. Owners can order their 2019 Mazda  MX-5 30th Anniversary model as either a soft top or RF with either a manual or automatic transmission. Orders can be placed starting on 2/7 at 12 p.m. CST.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      30 years ago at the Chicago Auto Show, Mazda pulled the sheet off a small roadster called the MX-5 Miata. Little did anyone know how much of an impact this little car would make in the world. Today, Mazda honored this anniversary by introducing the 2019 MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary Edition.
      Available both as the soft-top and RF hard-top, it comes in a new Racing Orange paint color that Mazda says evokes "the breaking dawn of an exciting new day." A set of 17-inch Rays ZE40 forged aluminum wheels are based on the wheels used on the MX-5 Cup race car.
      All versions of the 30th Anniversary get Recaro seats, Brembo brakes, Bose sound system and compatibility with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Opt for the manual and it includes limited-slip differential, Bilstein shocks, and a front shock tower brace.
      Mazda is planning on building 3,000 MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary Editions, with 500 coming to the U.S. Pricing ranges from $34,995 for the manual soft-top to $39,995 for the RF automatic. But you have missed your chance to order one. Car and Driver notes that Mazda has sold out of the allotment for the U.S. within four hours of opening the order books.
      Gallery: 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary
      Source: Mazda

Mazda Announces 2019 MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary
      Celebrating 30 years, MX-5 Miata isn't just a car, it's a cultural movement 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary will be available for pre-order with a starting MSRP* of $34,995 This special edition MX-5 Miata is equipped with a SKYACTIV-G 2.0L engine rated to deliver 181 horsepower Exclusive features include Racing Orange exterior paint and interior accents, special serial number badging, RAYS 17-inch forged alloy wheels and RECARO sports seats with Alcantara seating surface CHICAGO, Feb. 7, 2019 -- In 1989 the Chicago Auto Show played host to one of Mazda's biggest milestones, the debut of the MX-5 Miata. Now, 30 years later, Mazda is proud to share another milestone at the Chicago Auto Show with the world premiere of the 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary.
      Continuing to embrace the philosophy of the original 1989 MX-5 Miata, this special edition represents three decades of history. A history that has been filled with so many people, from the passionate Mazda engineers who created the first-generation MX-5 as a homage to early lightweight European sportscars, to the succeeding development engineers who took up the challenge to build on the high ambitions of their predecessors. Collectively, they all helped the MX-5 reach amazing heights, from being the first car to win both World Car of the Year and World Design of the Year in the same year with the current generation MX-5 Miata in 2016, to achieving production of the one millionth unit in April 2016. In total, the MX-5 has won over 280 awards, as of January 2019, with many of those accolades thanks to the unshakable support of Mazda owners and fans all over the world. This special edition is meant to commemorate all these milestones and the important people that have been part of this special journey, especially Mazda's enthusiastic fans.
      The 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary, offered in both soft top and RF models, builds upon the 2019 Mazda MX-5 Grand Touring, which added many new features including a newly refined powertrain rated to deliver 181 horsepower and 151 pound-feet of torque; a 17 percent increase over the previous model year. The first noticeable new feature is the exclusive Racing Orange exterior paint color. This strikingly vivid color pays homage to the yellow MX-5 Miata Club Racer that also debuted at the 1989 Chicago Auto Show. Racing Orange is meant to represent sunrise and anticipation, while staying true to the characteristics of a pure sports car. The roof on RF is painted Racing Orange, while the soft top will feature a black cloth top. The theme continues to the interior with orange interior louvers and orange piping on the heated RECARO sports seats. The seats in this special edition are wrapped in Alcantara, which is also found in the door inserts and lower instrument panel. All of these features help to further enhance the customer's sense of exclusivity and pride of ownership.
      To contrast the brilliant color, the new RAYS ZE40 17-inch Dark Gunmetal forged alloy wheels play up the MX-5's driving legacy. Customers may notice these wheels are based on the Global MX-5 Cup Car, further connecting the iconic roadster's anniversary edition to its racing roots.
      Standard in all 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary models are Apple CarPlayTM and Android AutoTM infotainment technologies. Also standard is SiriusXM with three-month subscription and new SiriusXM three-year Traffic Plus and Travel Link® subscription.
      No special edition would be complete without the appropriate badging. Each 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary model will be affixed with a special "30th Anniversary" serialized badging on the driver's side rear quarter panel to help commemorate 30 years of endless gratitude and unbending determination to keep evolving.
      Production of 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary model will be limited to a total of just 3,000 units worldwide. In the U.S., there will be a total of 500 non-sequentially badged units available through a custom build to order website at www.mazdausa.com/30th-anniversary. Owners can order their 2019 Mazda  MX-5 30th Anniversary model as either a soft top or RF with either a manual or automatic transmission. Orders can be placed starting on 2/7 at 12 p.m. CST.
    • By William Maley
      Toyota is putting on quite the show today in Chicago with the debuts of the Land Cruiser Heritage Edition , Sequoia TRD Pro, and refreshed 2020 Tacoma. But they had one more surprise up their sleeve in the form of the 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road.
      Building upon the Adventure model, the TRD Off-Road begins with an updated suspension that takes some ideas from Ryan Millen's RAV4 rally car campaigned in the Rally America championship a few years ago - new coil springs and revised twin-tube shocks. A set of Falken A/T tires come wrapped with 18-inch matte black wheels.
      Other changes for the TRD Off-Road include a new front grille, red stitching, and the TRD logo on the seats and floormats. Power remains a 2.5L four-cylinder with 203 horsepower. This is paired with an eight-speed automatic.
      No mention of price, but Toyota says the RAV4 TRD Off-Road arrives at dealers this fall.
      Gallery: 2020 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off-Road
      Toyota RAV4 Drivers Earn Trail Cred’ Thanks to New TRD Off-Road Treatment
      2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road Suspension Inspired by Rally RAV4 Race Team Standard Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail All-Terrain Tires TRD 18-inch Flow-Formed Matte Black Aluminum Wheels Exclusive TRD Exterior and Interior Features Standard Toyota Safety Sense (TSS 2.0) CHICAGO, February 7, 2019 – The all-new, fifth-generation Toyota RAV4, which launched just two months ago, is already looking ahead with the unveiling of the 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road model at the Chicago Auto Show. Arriving in the fall, the newest addition to the RAV4 family will be outfitted with a full array of special Toyota Racing Development engineering and design features for greater trail-driving capability and standout style.

The vehicle that started the segment 22 years ago is now the best-selling non-pickup truck in the U.S. With the latest generation, it is bringing even more sport and more utility. For 2020, the new TRD Off-Road is designed for customers who make the great outdoors a second home.

For the first time, the RAV4 will join a formidable team of Toyota TRD Off-Road SUVs and pickups inspired by the brand’s legendary off-road and desert racers. Beneath the new-generation RAV4’s bolder design, the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA-K) platform provides an ideal base for TRD’s renowned go-anywhere capability and style. Building on the 8.6-inch ground clearance and design features of the RAV4 Adventure grade, the 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road goes above and beyond with suspension, wheels and tires engineered specifically for trail driving.

The Dynamic Force 2.5-liter, 203-horsepower four-cylinder engine, paired with an 8-speed Direct-Shift Automatic Transmission, provides get-up-and-go-anywhere performance and exemplary fuel efficiency. The driver can choose from Sport, Normal and Eco modes. To take more equipment along, such as personal watercraft, dirt bikes or a small enclosed trailer, the RAV4 TRD Off-Road is rated to tow up to 3,500 pounds.

Standard Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive can direct up to 50 percent of engine torque to the rear wheels, as well as distribute torque to the left or right rear wheel to enhance handling on or off pavement. When AWD isn’t needed, such as on long highway stretches, Rear Driveline Disconnect optimizes fuel economy.

Using standard Multi-Terrain Select, the driver can maximize traction by matching the drive mode to the conditions -- Mud & Sand mode for beach driving, or Rock & Dirt mode for trails, and Snow for wintery conditions, for example. The Multi-Information Display (MID) shows torque allocation and slip control data. The new-generation RAV4’s short front and rear overhangs enhance trail-driving capability. In addition, the RAV4 TRD Off-Road will include Hill Start Assist Control (HAC), Trailer Sway Control (TSC), and Downhill Assist Control (DAC) for optimal on-road and off-road performance and safety.

Thoroughly TRD

The 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road takes cues from Toyota’s rich off-road racing history. It shares high-rise roof rails, large over-fenders, and aggressive bumper, grille designs and fog light surrounds with the RAV4 Adventure grade, but with a uniquely TRD personality.
      Inspired by TRD’s successful learnings with Ryan Millen’s Rally RAV4, TRD Off-Road suspension is engineered to enhance body control and small-bump isolation to help smooth out trails and rough city streets. Unique red coil springs are tuned for an off-road focus. The twin-tube shocks are re-valved and feature new internal rebound springs to improve rebound control. New bump stops maximize compression direction wheel travel and help improve body control over large bumps and dips.

The 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road exclusively rolls on lighter and more rigid flow-formed 18x7-inch matte black TRD alloy wheels with Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail all-terrain tires. These all-terrain tires mean business, with a unique tread pattern and compound developed to TRD technical requirements. A rugged square shoulder design helps protect against punctures, on or off road, and the tires are Severe Snow Rated with open shoulder grooving to shed debris, mud and snow.

Available in an exclusive two-tone Magnetic Gray Metallic w/Ice Edge Roof combination, the RAV4 TRD Off-Road is accented by dark gray front and rear lower fascias, and front LED fog lights are standard. TRD Off-Road is also available in Midnight Black or Lunar Rock, both of which are available with optional Ice Edge Roof. Other available colors include Ruby Flare Pearl and Super White.

Inside, striking red stitching and red trim accent the cabin. Seat surfaces are covered in comfortable SofTex, which is lighter than leather yet highly durable, and the front seats have “TRD” stitched into the headrests. Exclusive TRD all-weather floor mats and rear cargo mat capture the mud, sand and water dragged in from the outside and easily shake out for cleanup.

Next-Generation Toyota Safety Sense (TSS 2.0)

Toyota Safety Sense (TSS 2.0), which is already standard on all 2019 RAV4 models, includes a long roster of active-safety technologies and capabilities:
      Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD) Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA) Automatic High Beam (AHB) Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) Road Sign Assist (RSA) Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) and Rear Cross Traffic Braking (RCTB) system will also be standard on the 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Toyota is putting on quite the show today in Chicago with the debuts of the Land Cruiser Heritage Edition , Sequoia TRD Pro, and refreshed 2020 Tacoma. But they had one more surprise up their sleeve in the form of the 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road.
      Building upon the Adventure model, the TRD Off-Road begins with an updated suspension that takes some ideas from Ryan Millen's RAV4 rally car campaigned in the Rally America championship a few years ago - new coil springs and revised twin-tube shocks. A set of Falken A/T tires come wrapped with 18-inch matte black wheels.
      Other changes for the TRD Off-Road include a new front grille, red stitching, and the TRD logo on the seats and floormats. Power remains a 2.5L four-cylinder with 203 horsepower. This is paired with an eight-speed automatic.
      No mention of price, but Toyota says the RAV4 TRD Off-Road arrives at dealers this fall.
      Gallery: 2020 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off-Road
      Toyota RAV4 Drivers Earn Trail Cred’ Thanks to New TRD Off-Road Treatment
      2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road Suspension Inspired by Rally RAV4 Race Team Standard Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail All-Terrain Tires TRD 18-inch Flow-Formed Matte Black Aluminum Wheels Exclusive TRD Exterior and Interior Features Standard Toyota Safety Sense (TSS 2.0) CHICAGO, February 7, 2019 – The all-new, fifth-generation Toyota RAV4, which launched just two months ago, is already looking ahead with the unveiling of the 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road model at the Chicago Auto Show. Arriving in the fall, the newest addition to the RAV4 family will be outfitted with a full array of special Toyota Racing Development engineering and design features for greater trail-driving capability and standout style.

The vehicle that started the segment 22 years ago is now the best-selling non-pickup truck in the U.S. With the latest generation, it is bringing even more sport and more utility. For 2020, the new TRD Off-Road is designed for customers who make the great outdoors a second home.

For the first time, the RAV4 will join a formidable team of Toyota TRD Off-Road SUVs and pickups inspired by the brand’s legendary off-road and desert racers. Beneath the new-generation RAV4’s bolder design, the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA-K) platform provides an ideal base for TRD’s renowned go-anywhere capability and style. Building on the 8.6-inch ground clearance and design features of the RAV4 Adventure grade, the 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road goes above and beyond with suspension, wheels and tires engineered specifically for trail driving.

The Dynamic Force 2.5-liter, 203-horsepower four-cylinder engine, paired with an 8-speed Direct-Shift Automatic Transmission, provides get-up-and-go-anywhere performance and exemplary fuel efficiency. The driver can choose from Sport, Normal and Eco modes. To take more equipment along, such as personal watercraft, dirt bikes or a small enclosed trailer, the RAV4 TRD Off-Road is rated to tow up to 3,500 pounds.

Standard Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive can direct up to 50 percent of engine torque to the rear wheels, as well as distribute torque to the left or right rear wheel to enhance handling on or off pavement. When AWD isn’t needed, such as on long highway stretches, Rear Driveline Disconnect optimizes fuel economy.

Using standard Multi-Terrain Select, the driver can maximize traction by matching the drive mode to the conditions -- Mud & Sand mode for beach driving, or Rock & Dirt mode for trails, and Snow for wintery conditions, for example. The Multi-Information Display (MID) shows torque allocation and slip control data. The new-generation RAV4’s short front and rear overhangs enhance trail-driving capability. In addition, the RAV4 TRD Off-Road will include Hill Start Assist Control (HAC), Trailer Sway Control (TSC), and Downhill Assist Control (DAC) for optimal on-road and off-road performance and safety.

Thoroughly TRD

The 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road takes cues from Toyota’s rich off-road racing history. It shares high-rise roof rails, large over-fenders, and aggressive bumper, grille designs and fog light surrounds with the RAV4 Adventure grade, but with a uniquely TRD personality.
      Inspired by TRD’s successful learnings with Ryan Millen’s Rally RAV4, TRD Off-Road suspension is engineered to enhance body control and small-bump isolation to help smooth out trails and rough city streets. Unique red coil springs are tuned for an off-road focus. The twin-tube shocks are re-valved and feature new internal rebound springs to improve rebound control. New bump stops maximize compression direction wheel travel and help improve body control over large bumps and dips.

The 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road exclusively rolls on lighter and more rigid flow-formed 18x7-inch matte black TRD alloy wheels with Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail all-terrain tires. These all-terrain tires mean business, with a unique tread pattern and compound developed to TRD technical requirements. A rugged square shoulder design helps protect against punctures, on or off road, and the tires are Severe Snow Rated with open shoulder grooving to shed debris, mud and snow.

Available in an exclusive two-tone Magnetic Gray Metallic w/Ice Edge Roof combination, the RAV4 TRD Off-Road is accented by dark gray front and rear lower fascias, and front LED fog lights are standard. TRD Off-Road is also available in Midnight Black or Lunar Rock, both of which are available with optional Ice Edge Roof. Other available colors include Ruby Flare Pearl and Super White.

Inside, striking red stitching and red trim accent the cabin. Seat surfaces are covered in comfortable SofTex, which is lighter than leather yet highly durable, and the front seats have “TRD” stitched into the headrests. Exclusive TRD all-weather floor mats and rear cargo mat capture the mud, sand and water dragged in from the outside and easily shake out for cleanup.

Next-Generation Toyota Safety Sense (TSS 2.0)

Toyota Safety Sense (TSS 2.0), which is already standard on all 2019 RAV4 models, includes a long roster of active-safety technologies and capabilities:
      Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD) Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA) Automatic High Beam (AHB) Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) Road Sign Assist (RSA) Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) and Rear Cross Traffic Braking (RCTB) system will also be standard on the 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road.
  • My Clubs