Ford’s Fusion Sport Will Mitigate Pothole Shocks [Video]

ccap41

First, i didn't realize there wasn't really anything here on the 2017 Fusion. I was just going to add this to one of those threads but there weren't any. 

"For those who live in the Sunbelt—like this author—potholes are an irksome anomaly, rather than the wheel-destroying, everyday hellbeasts they are in parts of the Midwest and Northeast. In fact, [/size]C/D’s own relatively affluent college-town hometown, Ann Arbor, boasts what has to be some of the most dismal pavement in the first world. So while Californians might wonder what the big deal is with the new [/size]Ford Fusion Sport’s pothole-avoidance feature, Michiganders are undoubtedly breathing huge sighs of relief.[/size]

The 2017 Fusion Sport, in addition to its beefy 2.7-liter twin-turbo V-6, offers Ford’s Continuously Controlled Damping system, which takes measurements every two milliseconds. If the system detects the wheel beginning to roll into a pothole, it signals the shocks, which then don’t allow the wheel to descend into the pavement’s maw. It’s not so much pothole avoidance as it is pothole mitigation, offering momentary three-wheel motion without the need for the driver to hit distracting switches.

Ford’s Jason Michener, an engineer on the CCD program, explains the system using a garden-variety Michigan pothole and a collection of whimsically decorated ping-pong balls. While it’s not quite as complex as Mercedes-Benz’s Magic Body Control, which uses a camera to read the road for oncoming imperfections, the benefits of Ford’s system are obvious and real—and should save drivers plenty in wheel-repair bills."

http://blog.caranddriver.com/when-the-roads-gone-to-pot-fords-fusion-sport-will-mitigate-pothole-shocks-video/

I know it isn't nearly as awesome as MB's Magic Ride Control but it is pretty dang impressive. I'm curious how long it can hold the wheel up, or I guess how far can it keep it up. I know most "large" pot holes are only about 12-18 inches long but how long can it keep the wheel tucked up before realizing it was just a drop in pavement, like a road construction zone where you drop into it abruptly like a pot hole but it just stays low on the ground up road until you reach the end. 

Sounds Like Ford is still old Ford and ignoring Lincoln. So much for giving them the bleeding edge technology.

So why buy a Lincoln with Ford has the same or better technology?

Well, I guess Chevys should not get magneride either, because it erodes the value of having it exclusively in Cadillac, where it was originally developed.

No, can't be!

Look, Lincoln is going for quiet luxury, which means don't expect that to match up product by product to Cadillac or the Germans. They might build a sports sedan, they might not. But this Fusion Sport looks like it'll be the performance benchmark for midsize sedans.

• Upvote 1

Well, I guess Chevys should not get magneride either, because it erodes the value of having it exclusively in Cadillac, where it was originally developed.

No, can't be!

Look, Lincoln is going for quiet luxury, which means don't expect that to match up product by product to Cadillac or the Germans. They might build a sports sedan, they might not. But this Fusion Sport looks like it'll be the performance benchmark for midsize sedans.

You're f@#king joking, right? Cadillac is world class luxury with RWD sport sedans and GM's best technology. Lincoln. Has. Nothing. Over. Ford.

You can't say "Lincoln is luxury.. blah blah blah" because the MKZ gets the same equipment and AWD system on the same platform as the Fusion, but with a bit more power. Every Ford defaults to being 90% of their Lincoln counterpart. Nothing is left exclusive to Lincoln except .3L of displacement.

Even if your post had mentioned Buick, GM doesn't give Chevy the torque vectoring AWD system or hi-per strut suspension. Even Buick offers an adaptive suspension that Chevy counterparts don't get.

No, can't be!

You're f@#king joking, right? Cadillac is world class luxury with RWD sport sedans and GM's best technology. Lincoln. Has. Nothing. Over. Ford.

You can't say "Lincoln is luxury.. blah blah blah" because the MKZ gets the same equipment and AWD system on the same platform as the Fusion, but with a bit more power. Every Ford defaults to being 90% of their Lincoln counterpart. Nothing is left exclusive to Lincoln except .3L of displacement.

Even if your post had mentioned Buick, GM doesn't give Chevy the torque vectoring AWD system or hi-per strut suspension. Even Buick offers an adaptive suspension that Chevy counterparts don't get.

Look, even Drew said that CCD deliver 90% of Magnerides capability and weighs less and costs substantially less. Both are reactive systems.

And the Fusion Sport is not getting torque vectoring AWD, you didn't do your homework.

• Upvote 1

You guys love to make this thread about Lincoln even though it's about a Ford.

I don't understand how this car even competes with Lincoln. Lincoln can't realistically even attract the persons who buy 3 Series like vehicles the - ATS, IS, all those other cars.

This is just a build on top of the already available AWD system in the Fusion. 

And yeah, I believe Cadillac is world class, so WHY does GM dilute its product strategy? It's a fair question. And whisking it away is not going to deter me from asking it.

Living in Montreal...and already owning a 2013 Fusion, wife's car, and I LOVE the car for myself as is anyway...a 325 horse, 350 ft.lbs sedan with pothole protection is up my alley...this car is calling my name!

I love MY car which is a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD...but its Japanese...no that I mind owning a Japanese car...I prefer to own American...

Something to think about... :scratchchin:

I might trade in...

Although...my partner's Tesla Model S is also calling my name...

What to do?

What to do?

Great monetary difference this problem is...

I wouldnt want to give 100 000 dollars for a car...

On the other hand...being off of gasoline is awesome...

Ive got a serious problem on my hands... :banghead:

• Upvote 1

I don't understand how this car even competes with Lincoln. Lincoln can't realistically even attract the persons who buy 3 Series like vehicles the - ATS, IS, all those other cars.

And yeah, I believe Cadillac is world class, so WHY does GM dilute its product strategy? It's a fair question. And whisking it away is not going to deter me from asking it.

Explain how Cadillac is brand strategy is diluted. I'm wondering. The only vehicle that comes close to the idea of that is the XT5, and that is with me saying its name without one test drive of review to speak of at this point. Even the SRX literally blows the Nox, and Terrain away in terms of ride, luxo, and handling. The Ford strategy for Ford and Lincoln is so blurred I'd swear Roger Smith was running the company.

No, can't be!

This ^^^ Yes... Knock the lol "super mod" off his pedestal. Been saying the bolded part for years. I can't even think of a compelling reason to buy a Nav. over an Expedition at this point. Certainly not because of looks anymore. That ship sailed like 10 years ago. 

• Downvote 1

The question has been answered a million times for you. What needs to be asked is why you feel it is "diluted"?

No, can't be!

Look, even Drew said that CCD deliver 90% of Magnerides capability and weighs less and costs substantially less. Both are reactive systems.

And the Fusion Sport is not getting torque vectoring AWD, you didn't do your homework.

You didn't do your homework. The 2.7L is getting AWD.

http://www.slashgear.com/2017-ford-fusion-v6-sport-offers-325hp-2-7l-ecoboost-v6-11422438/

No, can't be!

http://www.slashgear.com/2017-ford-fusion-v6-sport-offers-325hp-2-7l-ecoboost-v6-11422438/

I don't think the AWD system in the Fusion is a Torque Vectoring system though. The RS gets that system but I'm pretty positive the Fusion is just using their AWD system that's in their other FWD based/AWD vehicles. 

No, can't be!

I don't think the AWD system in the Fusion is a Torque Vectoring system though. The RS gets that system but I'm pretty positive the Fusion is just using their AWD system that's in their other FWD based/AWD vehicles.

Officially Ford hasn't released any details about AWD system so no one know for sure but based on that little fact it was short sighted of Suave to say someone hasn't done their homework when the homework is incomplete at this time. Given how well the torque vectoring system have been for Ford, it would seem like the way to go for an upper trim Fusion. However, that type of system may step on the toes of its Lincoln couterpart.

No, can't be!

Officially Ford hasn't released any details about AWD system so no one knows for sure but based on that little fact it was short sighted of Suave to say someone hasn't done their homework when the homework is incomplete at this time. Given how well the torque vectoring system have been for Ford, it would seem like the way to go for an upper trim Fusion. However, that type of system may step on the toes of its Lincoln couterpart. Edited by surreal1272

You can't simultaneously root for Lincolns success and be excited about the Fusion Sport (or the Edge Sport for the same reason). It's paradoxical. You can either look at the Fusion Sport in a bubble and say this looks like an awesome car for the money, or see it in the obvious context of the Lincoln brand and the MKZ and wonder what the hell they're thinking.

Also, if Ford's active damping system was 90% as effective as the current Magnetic Ride Control, costs less, and weighs less, they wouldn't have licensed previous generation MRC from GM for the GT350. Period.

Cadillac doesn't belong in this conversation because it's already proven its case as world class luxury in style, performance, and technology. That's not an opinion, they are now in the conversation of every luxury comparison. Magnetic Ride Control can trickle down because Cadillac is far, far beyond Chevrolet.

• Upvote 1

You can't simultaneously root for Lincolns success and be excited about the Fusion Sport (or the Edge Sport for the same reason). It's paradoxical. You can either look at the Fusion Sport in a bubble and say this looks like an awesome car for the money, or see it in the obvious context of the Lincoln brand and the MKZ and wonder what the hell they're thinking.

Also, if Ford's active damping system was 90% as effective as the current Magnetic Ride Control, costs less, and weighs less, they wouldn't have licensed previous generation MRC from GM for the GT350. Period.

Cadillac doesn't belong in this conversation because it's already proven its case as world class luxury in style, performance, and technology. That's not an opinion, they are now in the conversation of every luxury comparison. Magnetic Ride Control can trickle down because Cadillac is far, far beyond Chevrolet.

Sure you can. You can like more than one variation of the same vehicle.. I mean Buick and Chevy.. Chevy and GMC. I like the Escape and the MKC. The Fusion and MK(whatever letter).  One shouldn't be limited to one brand just because the sister brand does things very VERY similar. 

What's your source that Ford is using GM's MagneRide suspension? 

" Like similar systems found on high-performance GM products, Audis, and Ferraris, Ford's MagneRide system keeps tabs on steering angle, lateral acceleration, pitch, and yaw to optimize the damping at each corner in real time."

http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/17-reasons-the-2016-mustang-gt350s-chassis-and-bodywork-are-incredible#9

Edit:

Took me long enough to find it but I found it. 

"Developed by Delphi, the GT350’s Magneride dampers are the same as those found on performance cars, including the 2015 Corvette Z06 and Ferrari F12berlinetta."

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/shelby-gt350-and-gt350r-will-offer-mustang-first-magneride-dampers-ar169228.html#main

Edited by ccap41

Sure you can. You can like more than one variation of the same vehicle.. I mean Buick and Chevy.. Chevy and GMC. I like the Escape and the MKC. The Fusion and MK(whatever letter).  One shouldn't be limited to one brand just because the sister brand does things very VERY similar. 

The $35k Fusion Sport takes one of Lincoln's only exclusive technologies and you don't see a problem with that? The base Lincoln MKZ basically STARTS at that price and they're sold at the same dealer! You have to option up the luxury car to match the Ford, for Christ's sake.

I'm going to reiterate this point: you can't be a staunch Lincoln supporter and see the Fusion Sport as a good thing. If you compare Lincoln to Buick/GMC then they've already failed. They're supposed to rival Audi and Lexus, which is where they're priced.

The $35k Fusion Sport takes one of Lincoln's only exclusive technologies and you don't see a problem with that? The base Lincoln MKZ basically STARTS at that price and they're sold at the same dealer! You have to option up the luxury car to match the Ford, for Christ's sake.

I'm going to reiterate this point: you can't be a staunch Lincoln supporter and see the Fusion Sport as a good thing. If you compare Lincoln to Buick/GMC then they've already failed. They're supposed to rival Audi and Lexus, which is where they're priced.

Ive said something similar about a V6 Ford Fusion and how it may step on Lincoln toes...let alone adding more tech to the Fusion...

Imagine if the Fusion Sport also had the option of being offered with that platinum trim pack?

Yikes for Lincoln and its MKZ...

ADD revo-knuckle torque vectoring tech on that 2.7 liter ecoboosted V6 Fusion Sport and the Fusion Sport is reaching to kick Audi ass...maybe people wont cross shop Audi to Ford Fusion Sport as they would Lincoln MKZ to Ford Fusion Sport, but the performance side of things...Audi ass will be spanked...

And if you (as in anybody) wont want to agree with that, Acura TLX ass will be spanked for sure...on a Ford nameplate non the less...

Ive got a question Drew...

Is the MKZ based on the Mondeo hatchback rather than the Mondeo/Fusion sedan?

%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%

452287l-610x390-b-622f9887.jpg

Anyway...I think its fantastic that the Fusion has this...as for Lincoln's toes...well, this is about the Fusion...

The more features Ford packs into their bread and butter mid size sedan, the better it is for families...

They should also include this pothole detection stuff in their SUVs and CUVs...the Edge, Escape and Explorer all should have it.

Edited by oldshurst442