William Maley

Geneva Motor Show: Lexus LC 500h: Comments

Wait, didn't Lexus only tease the LC 500h a few days ago? Yes, they did. But today, the Japanese luxury brand has decided to spill the beans on the hybrid version of the LC before its official debut in Geneva next month.

The big news about the LC 500h is the Lexus Multi-Stage Hybrid System. This new system is built specifically for performance vehicles. For the LC 500h, the system includes a 3.5L V6 (295 horsepower and 257 pound-feet of torque), an electric motor, a hybrid transmission, and a lithium-ion battery pack. Total output stands at 354 horsepower and Lexus claims a 0-60 MPH time of sub-five seconds.

The hybrid transmission is an interesting piece to the Multi-Stage Hybrid System. It uses a four-speed automatic transmission and an electric motor that Lexus claims "much more direct connection between the accelerator pedal and vehicle acceleration." How does the hybrid transmission accomplish this? We're not fully sure and Lexus doesn't have a clear enough explanation in their press release. If Lexus provides an explanation in the near future, we'll update this piece.

The LC 500h uses Lexus' new GA-L platform that uses a combination of high-strength steel and aluminium suspension components in an effort to reduce weight. Other weight saving tricks include aluminum hood and fenders; aluminum front suspension towers, carbon fiber door structures; and an optional carbon fiber roof.

No mention of when we'll see the LC 500h at dealers.

Source: Lexus

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article

So Lexus now wants to copy Corvettes, Sad Eye taillights and have that ugly Predator mouth. WTF is this about bringing back the 80's? The Internal Dash reminds me of some of the most boring block dashes I have ever seen. 

FAILURE on Style and Internal Dash.

Really? Well, I thought it looks pretty good. Cadillac doesn't have anything like this.

If I wanted a luxo cruiser coupe, by default this Lexus is the best. Style is one thing. But da materials dood. Mahogany.... Merhagony.... Merhhhhagony...

I like the funky avant garde interior, not so much the weird hybrid drivetrain. I'd much rather have the V8 that was already unveiled.

Edited by cp-the-nerd

The transmission is actually kind of a neat setup. You have the engine and motor sandwiched together using planetary gears, like most other hybrid cars. Instead of the output being connected to a conventional CVT setup and driving the front wheels, Lexus made a new, ultra-compact rear-mounted four-speed automatic that directly drives the rear wheels. 

I'm all for the replacement of CVT's, especially in Hybrids. 

4 speed automatic and 354 hp?  What is it 1998?  They are delusional if they think this is competition for the S-class coupe.  The slowest S-class coupe does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and will wax the floor with anything Lexus makes, even their F-sport junk.  I don't know why Lexus doesn't have 2 turbos on that 5 liter V8, you'd think for the billions of cash on hand at Toyota they could come up with a competitive powertrain.  

The LC is actually closer in size to the E-class coupe, that is how they should price this car, about $60,000 and the E-class will wax the floor with it too.  Only in Fantasy land will a 4500+ hybrid car with a torqueless V6 and 4-speed auto hit 60 in under 5 seconds.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook