Ferrari News: Electric Ferrari Would Be 'Obscene' According To Marchionne

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles' CEO Sergio Marchionne isn't a fan of electric vehicles, especially the idea of a Ferrari EV.

"With Ferrari, it's almost an obscene concept," said Marchionne.

A key part of the Ferrari driving experience explained Marchionne was the noise of the V8 or V12 engines. Going with a fully electric powertrain removes something important in the experience.

"You'll have to shoot me first," said Marchionne.

It is rumored that Ferrari will do more with hybrid technology in their future vehicles as a way of improving fuel economy while retaining the performance the brand is known for.

Source: Motor Authority

View full article

• Agree 1

Ignorance is Bliss and Marchionne is proof of that. Anyone who has driven a Electric race focused auto knows that he is wrong and you can have one of the most amazing experiences in an EV auto.

Yes Ocnblu will agree with Marchionne probably as he is all things petro, but I have to say that when the EV is done right, the overall driving experience is exhilarating and you loose nothing except some hearing loss just like the over noisy Harley Davidson bikes.

I doubt the V8 or V12 engine really gives that much to the experience  except for badge snobs who will say they have to have this engine to survive and be elite.

Which ever company brings out the right noise tuned EV will win big time.

• Agree 1

"noise tuned" ????

LOL agreed.  SILLIEST statement I've read in a while.

Haha... I've been wondering if I would ever agree with anything Serge says or does.  His past and present statements on electrification are about the only things that make sense.

"noise tuned" ????

Yup, it is amazing but you can have a whisper silent Electric auto or you can have one that is tuned to allow the whine of the EV goes as is or as I have seen, there are those that actually tune the sound that comes from electric motors to so called enhance the experience.

Noise or Motor sound either way you still have a distinct sound that can be had with electric motors.

• Agree 1

An "Enhanced Experience" :

Used as sleep-inducing 'white noise' worldwide.

- - - - - 

Seriously, none of those 3 scenarios (totally silent, 'natural' electric motor sound, or 'noise tuned' electric motor) sound remotely enticing in a sports car.

Edited by balthazar

Headline: INEFFECTIVE COMPANY'S INEFFECTIVE CEO FUMES OVER LACK OF GOOD ELECTRIC CAR

Marchionne's upset that his massive company's best electric effort was the 500e, leaving FCA to be leapfrogged by everyone else. All he can do is take potshots to deflect from his company's inadequacy in the arena, and overall brand/model schizophrenia.

Ferrari will have an electric in time. Everyone else is developing them.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

World Fastest Electric Car Versus Ferrari, Pretty freakin cool.

This company is looking pretty good too for a sweet ride that is Pure Electric.

White Zombie 0 to 60 in 1.8 seconds and a 11.8 second quarter mile.

Balthazar are you saying non of these rides would interest you?

NONE of those are 'my type' of vehicle, which comes first above the means of propulsion.
A '72 Datsun doing 11.8 in the quarter?? Not remotely interesting to me. It's a pretty gruesome 1-trick pony.

If you are wondering if I would take an electric motor in a -say- '59 Buick coupe and go 11.8, I would still reply 'no', as I can do much better with a Buick 7.5L V8.

• Agree 1

FCA is ineffective and bloated. Just ask Mary Barra or perhaps anyone involved in tracking quality ratings.

Sergio's just saltier than the ocn because his giant company's best effort was a mediocre, overpriced electric car.

He doesn't want to waste his company's money on stuff that has zero kilowatts of appeal.

Here is a Buick that is the Ultimate Taxi with a Big Diesel Engine.

Here is an Old Buick that FCA could never touch with the crap they build.

• Agree 1

I dont know about you people, but I find electric motor noises as appealing as elcctric guitar Rock-N-Roll and American V8 rumble...

An electric 1970 Olds 442 could sound like a power drill and I wouldnt mind it one bit.

And yeah, no "noise tuned" shtye necessary with a power drill motor sound...

I just think that if people can upload a specific soundtrack to be piped through the speakers then it has the same effect.

Now it's just the value associations people have with how that sound is actually produced. 

Then there's the issue of say BMW failing to make their fake sound, well, sound good. That's just a failure in sound choice and delivery. Not in the means of producing the engine sound itself.

PS:

Marchionne could think its heresy and obsene and whatever else he thinks about an electric motor Ferrari, but to me its clear, he is outta touch with reality if he thinks that the future is not electrics...

Harley could see a future of electric motors, that deny the Harley sound of their motorcycles.

And Harley is just about on the same playing field as Ferrari regarding name recognition and peddling stuff other than motor vehicles with their logo slapped on it and obviously iconic engine sound...therefore its a very good thing that Marchionne does not have a say in Ferrari no more...

You always have to look to the future...not the past to survive the future...

Its good to embrace your history, but sometimes re-inventing yourself is necessary...

A balance of both is ideal...

Edited by oldshurst442

I just think that if people can upload a specific soundtrack to be piped through the speakers then it has the same effect.

Now it's just the value associations people have with how that sound is actually produced. 

Then there's the issue of say BMW failing to make their fake sound, well, sound good. That's just a failure in sound choice and delivery. Not in the means of producing the engine sound itself.

I see what you are saying...

Ill add this:

Most cars are so well insulated with sound deadening materials and super duper mufflers that actually muffle and mute the idling and acceleration noises that "noise tuning" shouldnt really offend anybody in 2016 as engine sound personality is a thing of the past...

Well you don't need an electric vehicle to have a battery per se.

You never know. In principle you could just have a really good capacitor, but it'd still be expensive.

Supercapacitors could become so good that you could store energy without the setbacks of maintaining some kind of battery chemistry and ideal operating temps...And charge in seconds.

Yeah. Charge in seconds....

https://www.quora.com/Can-the-super-capacitor-replace-the-battery

We like the sounds V8s make because we like the sound, not because the engine makes it.

Really. Then some of us still, like the fact that the V8 is through its operation is making the sound - and are willing to pay for it.

There is nothing wrong really with piping fake noise.

Already we're not hearing the engine if it's on an engine dyno. We're hearing whatever the automaker now wants to be heard and then using all kinds of different tuning for other components to engineer the "real" sound.

We like the sounds V8s make because we like the sound, not because the engine makes it.

Really. Then some of us still, like the fact that the V8 is through its operation is making the sound - and are willing to pay for it.

There is nothing wrong really with piping fake noise.

Already we're not hearing the engine if it's on an engine dyno. We're hearing whatever the automaker now wants to be heard and then using all kinds of different tuning for other components to engineer the "real" sound.

Yup...

Couldnt that also be technically called "noise tuning" ?

"Piping engine sound", IE: creating a sound electronically that's not actually there, IMO, is akin to there being 'nothing really wrong' with this 'wood' : 

rgsva5axhrczngwseprt.jpg

or this 'scoop' :

pthoodsc.jpg

And there's not, technically, but MANY people have issues when things are obviously fake.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1