You know what kills me....

I'm a big fan of the 2000 -to- 2005 Impala.

Pretty much the only flaw they have is that

they have transverse mounted motors and

are FWD. As far as sefety, quality & power

economy and smoothness of the Impala it

is all fantastic. Once they changed the

burgundy tail light surround to black in '03

I pretty much thought the car looked

almost PERFECT, even looks like it has a

RWD stance.

Is it just my obsession for RWD, am I just

seeing things? THis car has always looked

like it has a RWD stance to me.

Am I crazy? Look at that healthy rear overhang...

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like the new one more. Honestly, the lights at the rear were a bit large. The current ones are cleaner, as is the front end. The only objection I have with the new one is how clunky the C-pillar looks from some angles. You're right. It has the proportions of a RWD car. The other thing I don't like about the new is that the 3800 is gone. But, man, are the seats in the new one comfortable!

The only thing i really hate about my impala is the back taillights....every day i walk out to it and wonder why the hell they did it like that. I would love to buy the body colored tail surrounds but GM wants a buttload for 'em...so I'm keeping my eye open for something else.

Other than the taillights, the rest of the car has really grown on me. I really like the edgy look and the wedge shape it has. It looked kinda $h!ty when i got it becuase it is just a base impala, but I added some stuff that I think make it look somewhat attractive actually.

Here are a few pics of mine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It is a very reliable car. I basically bought it just rack up highway miles on, instead of of my suburban. It's nice getting 26-28 mpg instead of 15 mpg too. I just passed 90000 the other day and all I've had to replace so far was the catlytic, but that was replaced under emissions warranty.

It wasn't my first choice of car when I was shopping but it was a steal of a deal so it really didn't matter.

Heh... I like that Impala better than the new one, too. The new one is far too bland. That one was somewhat sporty looking. The only thing that bothered me was the interior, the side molding, and the grill. When they made the molding body color, it helped some. And in black, it looks great.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And... you can get a 1:18 scale model of one. :P

Posted Image

I'm a big fan of the 2000 -to- 2005 Impala.

Pretty much the only flaw they have is that

they have transverse mounted motors and

are FWD. As far as sefety, quality & power

economy and smoothness of the Impala it

is all fantastic. Once they changed the

burgundy tail light surround to black in '03

I pretty much thought the car looked

almost PERFECT, even looks like it has a

RWD stance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

well apparently in i think the year 2000 they made 25 rwd models... that way they werent liers when they promised people they'ed make a rwd impala...

I'm with Trina on this one. I like the new design better. I agree the last generation was a solid vehicle, but I never warmed up to the rear end or the dark grey rub strips. The new one looks better all around, but I will agree that the older one was more destinctive, for better or worse.

Guest YellowJacket894

Well, apparently in...i think the year 2000 they made 25 rwd models... that way they werent liars when they promised people they'd make a RWD Impala...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're joking? :blink:

Anyhow, my parents have one in Charcoal Gray; a base model. As for looks, I'm mixed. The new one is most certainly better, but the previous model wasn't bad, either.

I think Scharmer's mods make the car look so much better and they all adress the major issues I have with the design: the shoddy wheel covers, grille design and the appearance of the rear end (which, by the way I am still not a fan of).

But, anyhow, Sixty-8 is right; the car does have something similar to the proportions of a rear-drive car.

And somehow, I get a vaguely retro feel from the car. Of course, the greenhouse is meant to recall the recent '96 SS, but the headlamps, interior, and a few cues on the side profile of the car have something of '70s and '80s vibe.

Edited by YellowJacket894

well apparently in i think the year 2000 they made 25 rwd models... that way they werent liers when they promised people they'ed make a rwd impala...

I think you misread some urban ledgend...

if they had retooled ther car or RWD, which

would be impractical and very costly, they

they would have made a LOT more than 25.

About 20,000 orders for the RWD one would

pour in in about 1:00 hour.

Remeber 68 You drive a FWD every day! even your camaro is FWD when its in reverse.

Well... we all know the topic of my next nightmare.

Camaros & FWD should be exclusive like Partical

Board Furniture & the Ritz, or Veal & Vegetarians. :blink:

Edited by Sixty8panther

You're joking?  :blink:

Anyhow, my parents have one in Charcoal Gray; a base model. As for looks, I'm mixed. The new one is most certainly better, but the previous model wasn't bad, either.

I think Scharmer's mods make the car look so much better and they all adress the major issues I have with the design: the shoddy wheel covers, grille design and the appearance of the rear end (which, by the way I am still not a fan of).

But, anyhow, Sixty-8 is right; the car does have something similar to the proportions of a rear-drive car.

And somehow, I get a vaguely retro feel from the car. Of course, the greenhouse is meant to recall the recent '96 SS, but the headlamps, interior, and a few cues on the side profile of the car have something of '70s and '80s vibe.

nope... my fleet manager knows a guy who has one... GM made 25 of them, and i think 1 monte... and everything was the same except they were rwd...

Review of the 2007 Chevy Camaro by: CamryHumpinFool

Pros:

- FWD (finally they caught on)

Cons:

- Rear wheel steering

- Controls and seats were installed backwards

- Headlights are red??

- Brakelights are white and malfunctioning

- Drive and Reverse are both installed backwards

Summary: GM finally gave in to the superiority of FWD, but made a lot of odd choices everywhere else in the car. This might ruffle a few feathers, best to stick with the reliability of Toyota.

I've seen the body color taillamp surround, and I never really liked it. I do like the 2000-2005 model very much, but was never a fan of the interior. I like the current interior much better, but I feel the car doesn't have the same sporty look it used to--although it does look upscale. I would have to test drive one, but the Impala is probably a car I would buy.

..even looks like it has a RWD stance.

A "front-wheel drive stance" has nothing to do with the rear overhang and everything to do with the FRONT overhang. Notice how close the front axle line is to the windshield...and how far away from the bumper it is. The fact that the drivewheels sit entirely behind the engine is the reason for this...the rear overhang can be anything from nearly nothing (Chrysler 300M, Honda CRX) to extra long (Chrysler LHS, Chevrolet Impala).

nope... my fleet manager knows a guy who has one... GM made 25 of them, and i think 1 monte... and everything was the same except they were rwd...

I'm going to agree with the previous post stating that this is an urban legend. I was once told by a guy that his Lincoln Town Car came with a 440cid engine. Chevrolet did not sell ANY RWD Impalas (2000-later) to the public. If they built any (and they've done stranger things), they're in the GM test mule collection or have been crushed.

It's not as simple as turning the engine and putting a rear axle in place. The position of the longitudinal engine in a vehicle designed for a transverse engine would make the car quite nose-heavy.

Edited by Hudson

Newbiewar:

Dude, with all due respect GM does not build

25 vehicle runs with specific tooling... what

about crash tests? And WHY would they tease

everyone like that? Just to rub it in people's

faces? We built a RWD Impala but YOU can't

have one... :blows raspberrys: Heck this is

the reason why many concept cars are

crushed instead of preserved like they should

be, GM or whoever is worried about some

retarded lawsuit.

Ask Camino about his dad's red Firehawk.

I really think someone was playing a practical

joke on you or something, I'm not trying to be

rude just honest.

This kind of reminds me of that story you hear

every so often at a carshow about how some

old timer did a huge burnout in a 67 Rzr.Bck.

or a 72 Toronado or better still a 83 Riviera...

"there was rubber chunks all over the rear

quarters." :P

Let me edit this...

Review of the 2007 Chevy Camaro by: EDMUNDS.COM

Pros:

- FWD (finally they caught on)

Cons:

- Rear wheel steering

- Controls and seats were installed backwards

- Headlights are red??

- Brakelights are white and malfunctioning

- Drive and Reverse are both installed backwards

Summary: GM finally gave in to the superiority of FWD, but made a lot of odd choices everywhere else in the car. This might ruffle a few feathers, best to stick with the reliability of Toyota.

Ahhh! Accuracy! ;)

You guys are such clowns. :globe:

Never heard of GM building a RWD Impala of this gen, certainly not 25 and certainly not released to the public. They did,however, build at least one RWD Monte and AFAIK, it is still around.

Yup on My Dad's Firehawk, SLP almost decided to crush it for liability reasons.

As to the RWD stance thing: I can see what you mean but I just don't like these cars very much - so it doesn't help the car's case for me.