Lincoln News: There's A Lot of Interest for the 2017 Lincoln Continental

The Lincoln Continental is turning out to be very popular with potential buyers. Automotive News reports that Lincoln has a list of 40,000 people who are interested buying the Continental.

“People are asking a lot of questions about the car. This is the most buzz I’ve seen in a long, long time,” said Dan Marks, chairman of the Lincoln National Dealer Council.

The list in question is the Continental “hand raiser” list, comprising of consumers who have provided contact information to follow-up once more information is provided. According to Matt VanDyke, director of global Lincoln, this list is longer than the one for the MKX crossover. But trying to get interested consumers into buyers is going to be a difficult task. One that could make or break the Continental.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

If I was Lincoln, I would pull a page from Tesla and offer something special to the first 40K customers who are willing to put down say $1K dollars. Then you see who is really interested versus being a buyer. I wish Chevy would do something like this for the BOLT.

It's an interesting car.

And they got a lot of commotion going on for it, and the styling - especially the interior looks the part.

I think against the S90, it stacks up quite nice.

The CT6 base model has its interior stripped quite a bit to get at that price. 

The S90 being based on the XC90, it's no featherweight. The base model of that car is projected to be like 4300 lbs. 

I think offering the 2.7 for like $47,500 - like the base model S90, would be an interesting comparison.

• Agree 1

Well, it's a softer sedan, and softer sedans are doing much better than their hard-edged versions in the market.

I think it'll do as they expect, and any sales here will be a bonus. 

I would make the 2.7 the standard engine however. The 3.7 is really long in the tooth.

it's like stopping people in the mall, showing them a picture of a new car, and saying, would you like to have a new car?

SURE!

or its like getting 40,000 likes in Facebook.  it's a stretch to call them real buyers who will pick that exact model.

Nobody called these people with interest in the Continental " real buyers ".

But its more than " showing them a picture of a new car " . These people have " provided contact information to follow-up once more information is provided. "

Well, it's a softer sedan, and softer sedans are doing much better than their hard-edged versions in the market.

I would make the 2.7 the standard engine however. The 3.7 is really long in the tooth.

Umm...what? Based off of what information? All we know is that Lincoln has struggled in the sedan market just as much as everyone else (and more so in most cases) yet you think more of the same will make it better? Sorry but changing the name from MKS to Continental does not a barometer of success make so I don't know how can make that assessment Suave (knowing all that).

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

it's like stopping people in the mall, showing them a picture of a new car, and saying, would you like to have a new car?

SURE!

or its like getting 40,000 likes in Facebook.  it's a stretch to call them real buyers who will pick that exact model.

Which is the exact same thing that I have seen of every company yet some here think that Lincoln is the exception because some people (and yes 40,000 in this context is "some people") said that they "might" be interested. It's easy to market and push these meaningless surveys but I have seen very few bear any actual real fruit. Saying that one car will be successful, as a result of these surveys, makes zero sense to me when you understand the nature of these surveys. 

Uh, I'm not saying it's going to get 40,000 sales.

I think it'll do what Lincoln intends of it. It's going to do really well in China.

I like it a lot, and I was the among the many who thought it was more of the same.

But priorities are shifting. Drew already thinks in terms of style this is above the G90. I'm not alone among the many actually that like this vehicle.

And they've been quick to say it's not going up against some Mercedes S-Class AMG or Cadillac CT6-V.

They've been quite blunt about what the vehicle is, and and I'm very sure that some aspects are going to be very class-competitive. Such as the interior, the bespoke audio system and trick AWD system that can mimic RWD handling dynamics, such as using true torque vectoring to power outside corner wheels in a turn. 

Uh, I'm not saying it's going to get 40,000 sales.

I think it'll do what Lincoln intends of it. It's going to do really well in China.

I like it a lot, and I was the among the many who thought it was more of the same.

But priorities are shifting. Drew already thinks in terms of style this is above the G90. I'm not alone among the many actually that like this vehicle.

And they've been quick to say it's not going up against some Mercedes S-Class AMG or Cadillac CT6-V.

They've been quite blunt about what the vehicle is, and and I'm very sure that some aspects are going to be very class-competitive. Such as the interior, the bespoke audio system and trick AWD system that can mimic RWD handling dynamics, such as using true torque vectoring to power outside corner wheels in a turn. 

Um, I never said that you did say that it would sell 40,000. I said that surveys mean jack squat. Don't know how you could read that any other way Suave.

And that is still not a very convincing argument (only because I have heard this said about multiple Lincolns over the last two decades with opposite results) but we can agree to disagree.

Sure.

I'm not playing this announcement up at all. In the Tesla thread I mentioned how paid deposits are much better indicators of purchase intention than this.

But yeah, in terms of paper stats, I was expecting this vehicle to be a total fail.

But on paper and in person, it's a lot more favourable than I thought. And it's competition in terms of core product is the Volvo S90.

I think the Volvo has a better interior, but more in terms of styling, not materials. We know for a fact that the Lincoln, surprisingly, will have a newer AWD system. We know that weights will be similar, because the Volvo Scalable Product Architecture is kinda heavy.

Based on how newer Fords and Lincoln have very pleasing road manners, it's not hard to imagine a more isolated, cocooned luxo-barge won't deliver on passenger comfort. 

I'll continue to say this. This car has created a brand awareness of Lincoln that is missing. Most likely someone will go to a Lincoln dealer without ever doing so ever before. 

I like this car. If I could swing the coin, I'd buy both this and the CT6. But if I could only pick one, I would test drive both. I'm not much of a hardened driver, looking to push the limit of the machine. I drive just 5 mph over the speed limit, and usually in the collector lanes. I like relaxed demeanor cars. And I like truly like the styling of the Lincoln far more than the LWB CTS....

So there you have it.

Sure.

I'm not playing this announcement up at all. In the Tesla thread I mentioned how paid deposits are much better indicators of purchase intention than this.

But yeah, in terms of paper stats, I was expecting this vehicle to be a total fail.

But on paper and in person, it's a lot more favourable than I thought. And it's competition in terms of core product is the Volvo S90.

I think the Volvo has a better interior, but more in terms of styling, not materials. We know for a fact that the Lincoln, surprisingly, will have a newer AWD system. We know that weights will be similar, because the Volvo Scalable Product Architecture is kinda heavy.

Based on how newer Fords and Lincoln have very pleasing road manners, it's not hard to imagine a more isolated, cocooned luxo-barge won't deliver on passenger comfort. 

I'll continue to say this. This car has created a brand awareness of Lincoln that is missing. Most likely someone will go to a Lincoln dealer without ever doing so ever before. 

I like this car. If I could swing the coin, I'd buy both this and the CT6. But if I could only pick one, I would test drive both. I'm not much of a hardened driver, looking to push the limit of the machine. I drive just 5 mph over the speed limit, and usually in the collector lanes. I like relaxed demeanor cars. And I like truly like the styling of the Lincoln far more than the LWB CTS....

So there you have it.

That's fair enough but it seems like you are just using your personal opinion of it to shape it's reasons for succeeding when that is not really best indicator of such. There's just a few million or more drivers that have to be convinced of the same thing. Just saying. :D

SURE!

Which is the exact same thing that I have seen of every company yet some here think that Lincoln is the exception because some people (and yes 40,000 in this context is "some people") said that they "might" be interested. It's easy to market and push these meaningless surveys but I have seen very few bear any actual real fruit. Saying that one car will be successful, as a result of these surveys, makes zero sense to me when you understand the nature of these surveys. 

not at all disagreeing with you.  the auto show here recently, they gave away a stupid burlap bag if you signed up on chevy's iPad and they had a new Malibu right next to it.  Bet they got the addresses of several thousand 'Malibu buyers'....when all they wanted was the bag.

• Agree 1

Sure.

So there you have it.

if the reaction of the new XC90 Volvo what i saw at the recent auto show here is any indicator, i think the new Volvo S90 sedan from a luxury standpoint will have far more 'real' interest than either of these.

Edited by regfootball

It's well known that the Continental has a great interior, and recent Lincoln features like the seats and the audio systems are placed at or above top-end Mercedes features.

Add to that the trick AWD system that many in the industry recognize as one of the best, it's hard not imagine this car not doing quite well.

And in China i'ts going to sell. Really, really, well.

I'm not kidding. You don't have to like the car. But to pretend that this vehicle isn't delivering exactly what they say it does - namely top-end creature comforts,,, I can't help anyone not recognize that.

It's well known that the Continental has a great interior, and recent Lincoln features like the seats and the audio systems are placed at or above top-end Mercedes features.

Add to that the trick AWD system that many in the industry recognize as one of the best, it's hard not imagine this car not doing quite well.

And in China i'ts going to sell. Really, really, well.

I'm not kidding. You don't have to like the car. But to pretend that this vehicle isn't delivering exactly what they say it does - namely top-end creature comforts,,, I can't help anyone not recognize that.

So if I don't think it measures up the same way you say it does (even though neither one of us have driven it), then my thoughts don't matter? Is that what you are saying? I mean if you can't help anyone recognize that (using your words here) then that must mean you somehow think your opinion has more weight than anyone else who disagrees with your assessment. Why the absolute thinking over something that is purely subjective up to this point?

Actually I can tell almost exactly how it will drive.

It'll drive like a sharper version of a new Lincoln MKX. It'll probably be faster than it by an appreciable amount.

The AWD system will help powering through corners.

Generally the auto press that has driven the new MKX have said quite simply that it is be the best crossover for those who want a pillowy soft ride, but atleast content driving dynamics - much better than any competing Lexus or Acura.

The XTS does that, but unlike the Lincoln, it had a pretty harsh ride with the large wheel options and Magnetic ride control. The MKX on the other hand, even with the large wheel option on a loaded model handled Detroit's bombed roads just fine.

And yes. The vehicle will deliver exactly to the customer that Lincoln says it will. I mean they are pretty forthcoming, if you want a sports sedan, this ain't it. And most likely it'll have some inspired driving. It may even upset a Lexus LS.  

There's a whole lot of nonsense going around that the driving dynamics of this vehicle will be incompetent, and its just ridiculous stupidity. 

If there's any company that knows how tune a steering rack right on a FWD based car that has a a good amount of power it's Ford Mo Co. You can look at all the Ford Performance branded cars as proof of it. The agility of the MKX - for its intended purpose, surprised almost every journalist. It's a fact.

• Agree 1

It'll drive like a sharper version of a new Lincoln MKX. It'll probably be faster than it by an appreciable amount.

Generally the auto press that has driven the new MKX have said quite simply that it is be the best crossover for those who want a pillowy soft ride, but atleast content driving dynamics - much better than any competing Lexus or Acura.

The XTS does that, but unlike the Lincoln, it had a pretty harsh ride with the large wheel options and Magnetic ride control. The MKX on the other hand, even with the large wheel option on a loaded model handled Detroit's bombed roads just fine.

And yes. The vehicle will deliver exactly to the customer that Lincoln says it will. I mean they are pretty forthcoming, if you want a sports sedan, this ain't it. And most likely it'll have some inspired driving. It may even upset a Lexus LS.  

There's a whole lot of nonsense going around that the driving dynamics of this vehicle will be incompetent, and its just ridiculous stupidity. 

If there's any company that knows how tune a steering rack right on a FWD based car that has a a good amount of power it's Ford Mo Co. You can look at all the Ford Performance branded cars as proof of it. The agility of the MKX - for its intended purpose, surprised almost every journalist. It's a fact.

And look at that MKX.

Since its debut, the MKX has gone from literally being an Edge trim level to best-in-class.

There is no reason not to think the Continental won't deliver on what Lincoln says.

So you have not actually driven one and you are using hypotheticals to justify your absolutely line of thinking because some here are critical of it. Thanks for clearing that up Suave and proving my point.

Peace.

So you have not actually driven one and you are using hypotheticals to justify your absolutely line of thinking because some here are critical of it. Thanks for clearing that up Suave and proving my point.

Peace.

Yeah that didn't seen very Suav-like to me... *shrugs shoulders*

• Agree 1

This isn't stupid hypotheticals, And if it is, then damn well I'll call it out like it is, people all over the net salivate when they project how a car will drive for other brands.

People here project ALL the time that if a car is Cadillac it'll drive a lot like a preceding car - or that it'll follow their mantra of beating the roundel at their own game. OR if's BMW it's going to be softer than they used to be. Or that Audi really hasn't changed much in their recent redesigns. Or how the S90 will be a sedan version of the XC90.

Example: CT6 will drive like larger in size CTS.

And no this is no hypothetical. It's a fact. They're loosely based on the same architecture - the Lincoln MKX and the Conti.

Do people here really think what I said is really inconceivable? Given how much emphasis Lincoln has put on one theme, I'm beyond sure that the Conti will drive exactly how I explained it. 

It's mind-boggling that you would disagree with me Surreal.

You don't even have a point to make.

I find a lot of nonsense that quite is just out of bad taste. People just have it for Lincoln just because they want that automaker to make a car to please them. I'm not even a staunch supporter of the brand. But I know exactly how the car will drive. That is a fact.

It's stupidity. I don't why people get off of it for other brands. And I'm not making a big IF, and if I am, I just called it on other cars as well.

The Lincoln will drive exactly like how I said it will. The details might differ - the overall theme won't. 

This isn't stupid hypotheticals, And if it is, then damn well I'll call it out like it is, people all over the net salivate when they project how a car will drive for other brands.

People here project ALL the time that if a car is Cadillac it'll drive a lot like a preceding car - or that it'll follow their mantra of beating the roundel at their own game. OR if's BMW it's going to be softer than they used to be. Or that Audi really hasn't changed much in their recent redesigns. Or how the S90 will be a sedan version of the XC90.

Example: CT6 will drive like larger in size CTS.

And no this is no hypothetical. It's a fact. They're loosely based on the same architecture - the Lincoln MKX and the Conti.

Do people here really think what I said is really inconceivable? Given how much emphasis Lincoln has put on one theme, I'm beyond sure that the Conti will drive exactly how I explained it. 

It's mind-boggling that you would disagree with me Surreal.

You don't even have a point to make.

I find a lot of nonsense that quite is just out of bad taste. People just have it for Lincoln just because they want that automaker to make a car to please them. I'm not even a staunch supporter of the brand. But I know exactly how the car will drive. That is a fact.

It's stupidity. I don't why people get off of it for other brands. And I'm not making a big IF, and if I am, I just called it on other cars as well.

The Lincoln will drive exactly like how I said it will. The details might differ - the overall theme won't. 

Good grief Suave. We get it. You love the car no matter what and anything anyone else says about it just makes them stupid.

Again, point proven.

• Disagree 1

Alright, you want to keep churning? Alright

Of course I like the car. But more than that.,the same people who haven't driven the car rag on it without driving either. And then some General Moron told me that "you're not an optimist!"

But I'm just saying it won't be a sharp scalpel like the Cadillac CT6. I won't be a super-sport sedan that "driving" enthusiasts say they love. 

And there is nothing wrong with that. Driving enthusiasts FOR large sedans are about to be extinct. 

And for what factual reason am I wrong in saying it'll drive like a sedan version of the Lincoln MKX! You're the one who said it's more of the same!

And it is what I just iterated. Sheesh.

• Agree 2

Of course I like the car. But more than that.,the same people who haven't driven the car rag on it without driving either. And then some General Moron told me that "you're not an optimist!"

But I'm just saying it won't be a sharp scalpel like the Cadillac CT6. I won't be a super-sport sedan that "driving" enthusiasts say they love. 

And there is nothing wrong with that. Driving enthusiasts FOR large sedans are about to be extinct. 

And for what factual reason am I wrong in saying it'll drive like a sedan version of the Lincoln MKX! You're the one who said it's more of the same!

Okay suave. I'm trying to be civilized here. Show me where I said it was "more of the same" because I'm sure I didn't and that's your problem. You don't even know who you are arguing with at this point. Bong said it was more of the same. Now are you trying to equate my argument with his? If so, then that is pure fail on your part. It's a f@#king car so ease up on the throttle and keep your arguments straight next time.

To the down vote troll: Sorry you are only allowed one per day.

Umm...what? Based off of what information? All we know is that Lincoln has struggled in the sedan market just as much as everyone else (and more so in most cases) yet you think more of the same will make it better? Sorry but changing the name from MKS to Continental does not a barometer of success make so I don't know how can make that assessment Suave (knowing all that).

Ask and you shall receive.

Okay suave. I'm trying to be civilized here. Show me where I said it was "more of the same" because I'm sure I didn't and that's your problem. You don't even know who you are arguing with at this point. Bong said it was more of the same. Now are you trying to equate my argument with his? If so, then that is pure fail on your part. It's a f@#king car so ease up on the throttle and keep your arguments straight next time.

My arguments have always been the same, always consistent. And I don't know what anyone is trying to prove. I dismissed the 40,000 people interested in this car. All I said was there are some tangible reasons to consider this car. And none of those elicit comparison to sport sedans at the same size and price point.

Then I projected its performance, which is a sin to do.

But again, what are you comparing the car to?! A sport sedan - go ahead, pick apart how the car will drive, even though no one has driven it yet. And then I used the more of the same thinking to pull up relevant anecdotes of how the recent MKX has fared in reviews. And if the car drives like a sedan version of that - then it's pretty clear the appeal of the vehicle is exactly what Lincoln says it will be - comfort and not ground-breaking handling, but surprisingly competent. 

t's pretty clear to me, anyone who has posted against me just flat out hates the car or what it represents. Why I am to bother trying to explain that the brand that will make this car has already forgone the possibility that those people will consider the car, even though they've never driven the car either.

I can trace every word I've posted, and all of it ties back to this. 

• Agree 1

My arguments have always been the same, always consistent. And I don't know what anyone is trying to prove. I dismissed the 40,000 people interested in this car. All I said was there are some tangible reasons to consider this car. And none of those elicit comparison to sport sedans at the same size and price point.

Then I projected its performance, which is a sin to do.

But again, what are you comparing the car to?! A sport sedan - go ahead, pick apart how the car will drive, even though no one has driven it yet. And then I used the more of the same thinking to pull up relevant anecdotes of how the recent MKX has fared in reviews. And if the car drives like a sedan version of that - then it's pretty clear the appeal of the vehicle is exactly what Lincoln says it will be - comfort and not ground-breaking handling, but surprisingly competent. 

t's pretty clear to me, anyone who has posted against me just flat out hates the car or what it represents. Why I am to bother trying to explain that the brand that will make this car has already forgone the possibility that those people will consider the car, even though they've never driven the car either.

I can trace every word I've posted, and all of it ties back to this.

Okay, let me make this short since my last post did not take apparently. You were right regarding my post. I wasn't 100% sure when I said it. I can accept that 100%. What I cannot accept is your absolute thinking on this. So if anyone hates the car, they are just being a hater but because you like the car, even though you also have driven it, yet you think your words should carry more weight. That is the problem with your logic from the get go and for you to simply dismiss what I am saying because you feel I'm being a "hater", is simply asinine. Sorry but that is how I feel you are acting right now.

I like the car for everything it does other than how it drives.

And I can predict exactly how it will drive. Which is why the hatorade against this car is so misplaced.

And everything that has been said about the Conti either regards to its styling or its interior. Now the styling, up to anyone's taste. But the interior material quality has been for the most part very liked.

Other than that, people hate this car on car forums. Not the target demographic by any means. They do it because they can't reconcile the fact that most luxury brands are abandoning the kind of vehicle this car represents. Instead of embracing the heritage of being a land yacht or magic carpet, most large luxury sedans are trying to chase either BMW or Tesla in terms of being technologically advanced, and the driver's choice - which they may be, but it's irrelevant. That's how the Merecedes S-Class became the popular technologically advanced magic carpet. Now does the Lincoln go against that? Hell no.

It's just a top sedan worthy for the Lincoln name, something they've never had for a while.

But this car again, brings an advanced AWD system available, a credible interior, and an exterior that looks like what a large land barge should look like. Aside from that, if you're in a market, where the height of power is shown off by you not driving, and you want to differentiate yourself from other tycoon wannabes - the Lincoln landing at your shore is timely thing.

Look, I called you on something you claimed to have not said, and I never really praised the this vehicle other than say why it is differentiated against everyone else.

Go ahead, speak volumes how it's going to fail. RE : See my post about how many things I give....

I just meekly said, it'll do what Lincoln needs the car to do. Any sales in America are just a bonus. This car is pretty viable too. It won't suffer from recuperating an immense overhead of an all new platform (and rumoured cancelled outlets to increase scale) that some of its rivals are debuting. 

And it just has more brand awareness than something like the new Genesis, which I think arguably makes a better product - but is devoid of a soul or heritage.

It's going to sell. And there is credible market positioning for it.

And people making posts about my character instead of this vehicle? I don't get into those theatrics. They're just lame statements. Don't post something without understanding the consequences of being quoted.

Again, I posted everything linked to why this vehicle will do well. It won't overturn the status quo. But that's not what it was meant to do, and it's not like a carmaker leading everyone to believe that their car will be a return to greatness only to have a change in management to call that same vehicle less than flagship worthy.

Look, I called you on something you claimed to have not said, and I never really praised the this vehicle other than say why it is differentiated against everyone else.

Go ahead, speak volumes how it's going to fail. RE : See my post about how many things I give....

I just meekly said, it'll do what Lincoln needs the car to do. Any sales in America are just a bonus. This car is pretty viable too. It won't suffer from recuperating an immense overhead of an all new platform (and rumoured cancelled outlets to increase scale) that some of its rivals are debuting.

And it just has more brand awareness than something like the new Genesis, which I think arguably makes a better product - but is devoid of a soul or heritage.

It's going to sell. And there is credible market positioning for it.

And people making posts about my character instead of this vehicle? I don't get into those theatrics. They're just lame statements. Don't post something without understanding the consequences of being quoted.

Again, I posted everything linked to why this vehicle will do well. It won't overturn the status quo. But that's not what it was meant to do, and it's not like a carmaker leading everyone to believe that their car will be a return to greatness only to have a change in management to call that same vehicle less than flagship worthy.

Or you could just stop rambling. Oh and I admitted my mistake which is more than I can for some folks. I am not hating on it. I'm being realistic which is far more than I can say for you right now. You have reason for hope while I have reason to doubt it. It's that simple. Just stop acting like your opinion carries more weight when there is zero proof that it actually does.

And I'm done. You may now, as Led Zeppelin once said, ramble on if it helps you feel better Suave.

Edited by surreal1272

Yeah, but what are your underlying reasons for this car not meeting Lincoln's objectives?

What are you being realistic about?! What!? 

Especially when I have given a more than credible argument that this vehicle will deliver the product experience exactly like they say it will.

If you say again, it's more of the same, I'll point to again, yeah, and more of the same actually means a very credible luxury product for a one that should have a heavy emphasis on passenger coddling. Which is exactly what Lincoln say's they're selling.

The car was designed for China first. Any sales here, will just be a bonus for Lincoln. Somehow that's being overly optimistic.

It shouldn't be this easy for me to pick apart what someone really doesn't like about this vehicle. 

Really the heart of it is disbelief is that non-paying, non-existent, people who already have an ill opinion (which people forget, I really hated the premise of the car when it was initially leaked it would happen) that Lincoln can actually market a credible luxury vehicle, without investing the massive resources to create a best-in-class vehicle, which it isn't.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I gave you their history. Seriously. I did and that is all need right now until it proves otherwise.

Seriously. What are you being so damn defensive about? What?! What Sauve? What?! That is how you're coming off right now so I'm just going to leave it at that. Enough space has been wasted here.

For the record, I made the same statements about the first gen CTS 12 years ago for the same reasons. In that case, I referenced the Cimmaron and the Catera.

Edited by surreal1272

Maybe you'd do a lot better here Suave if you would stop acting everyone has an "underlying" reason for not being as enamored with the car as you are. That's the defensive posturing I was taking about and you proved it in spades.

Edited by surreal1272

But the thing is I'm not enamored with the car. I'm not really defending the car as much as I was some intelligible debate.

I like it - yeah. But remember, it's turned me over from it being in total failure territory. And I like it for different reasons. I would say given what you want, this and the new CT6 are near equals. And I'm not the only one who would say that. The owner of this site, having spent some decent time with it had this same impression. William didn't. But William just didn't like the styling of the car.

I've stipulated the whole time - it's got a fair shot, and in China it's just a shoo-in.

It seems like the right way to build a large sedan if you're trying to see the field 5-6 years from now. They're not too vested in it if the large sedan segment dies entirely over here. And compared to the car it's replacing, it's a far cry from the bloated and deficient mutilated Taurus pig.

• Agree 1

But the thing is I'm not enamored with the car. I'm not really defending the car as much as I was some intelligible debate.

I like it - yeah. But remember, it's turned me over from it being in total failure territory. And I like it for different reasons. I would say given what you want, this and the new CT6 are near equals. And I'm not the only one who would say that. The owner of this site, having spent some decent time with it had this same impression. William didn't. But William just didn't like the styling of the car.

I've stipulated the whole time - it's got a fair shot, and in China it's just a shoo-in.

It seems like the right way to build a large sedan if you're trying to see the field 5-6 years from now. They're not too vested in it if the large sedan segment dies entirely over here. And compared to the car it's replacing, it's a far cry from the bloated and deficient mutilated Taurus pig.

An intelligible debate was had and reasons were laid out. Sorry if that doesn't meet this mysterious criteria you seem to want to hang your hat on.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

In China, Lincoln has had a strong start to the year with 5,484 vehicles sold in the first quarter, a three-fold increase compared to the same time in 2015. Lincoln’s strong performance in the first quarter was supported by the growing number of dealerships, which reached 37 by the end of March, and Chinese customers’ positive reception of Lincoln SUVs.

(5484 / 37) It looks like Lincoln dealerships sold an average of 148 units each for the quarter. About 50 per dealership each month. Lincoln has some nice momentum going with just 4 models.

I think the car will do well. It might not set sales records here or anywhere. But it'll do just fine.

And it does have merits.

It's not a barn stormer, nor does it really need to be. And most likely it will drive like a sedan version of the MKX, like the S90 drives like a sedan version of the XC90. I don't understand why that is so hard to stomach.

I mean the alternative is that it probably ends up driving like a much more taut and nimble sedan than we think. But that really is irrelevant to the mission of the car. And that is a realization that most automakers will realize sooner than later, when autonomous cars become the mainstream.

And if it's priced and equipped comparably to the S90, then it's got a fair shot. For one - Lincoln can leverage the large sales of the D4 platform to allocate less fixed overhead to this car. It might have lower sales volume, but have better automotive margins. 

Of course it's no CT6. But I imagine if it follows the pricing scheme of the XTS, fully loaded it'll be just shy of $20,000 less than the CT6 fully loaded. But again, I don't think the two cars compete tow-to-toe, but they do occupy the same price and size class.

• Agree 2