William Maley

Ford News: Spying: A First Glimpse Into A F-150 Plug-In Hybrid

10 posts in this topic

We know that Ford is hard at work on diesel option for the 2017 F-150, along with Hybrid model that is due out in 2020. Now there is a possible third powertrain that Ford is working on.

Automobile and AutoGuide got their hands on new spy shots showing off an F-150 mule with the front fenders and hood covered. On the passenger side fender, there appears to be a door for a possible charging port (the video below gives a better view of it). The spy photographer also noted the engine would turn off at various points and the humming noise of an electric motor taking its place.

Automobile speculates that along with the electric motor, there is likely the 2.7L EcoBoost V6 and ten-speed automatic transmission.

Source: Automobile, AutoGuide

Click here to view the article

Interesting, that was a rough auto start of the engine. Looks like a crazy big door, wonder what else is behind that panel.

Now this is more to my liking. I like the plug-in hybrids more than just straight hybrids... I think I just like the option/possibility to run straight EV for a short distance. 

Interesting, that was a rough auto start of the engine. Looks like a crazy big door, wonder what else is behind that panel.

I would assume there are a couple of charging ports or its that big due to it being a prototype with various components for testing purposes. 

I would assume there are a couple of charging ports or its that big due to it being a prototype with various components for testing purposes. 

So the Level 1 & 2 can use the same port for 110 trickle or faster 220. Hopefully Ford will include a DC fast charge port. That would also rock.

Didn't sound like a rough start to me.

As for what else is behind that panel... I would think that port is to also allow for powering equipment on a job site. Which puts the port on the curb side of the truck, instead of the roadway side when parked.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully the auto industry can standardize on plugs sooner rather than later.

Nissan Leaf has their 110 / 220 plug on the right and their own special DC Fast charge plug on the left.

post-12-0-94705500-1459867884_thumb.jpg

BMW, Tesla and GM use the SAE Combo Port that has a 110/220 top and the additional DC at bottom so you can do Rapid charge or time based charge over night all into one clean port design.

post-12-0-25437900-1459867883_thumb.jpg

These are far more common on the west coast and at the public charging stations. Sadly Nissan has to use their own charge cord for a DC fast charge.

I personally think any kind of hybrid truck will really have to pull out all the stops and achieve like 33 mpg combined. 

It'll really need to make strides.

I personally think any kind of hybrid truck will really have to pull out all the stops and achieve like 33 mpg combined. 

Couldn't they make it lighter?

Couldn't they make it lighter?

Ha ha... well played.

That's a good one. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.