Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Jaguar News: Jaguar's SVR Badge Is Not Exclusive To V8 Engines

As strict emission standards are coming into effect, Jaguar's Special Vehicle Operations (SVO) is looking forward and considering their options as to how to do performance vehicles in the future.

Speaking with CarAdvice, Jaguar’s director of public relations Richard Agnew said SVO will turning its focus to other, smaller engines in the near future.

“We can’t possibly say that SVO has to be V8, with the way the world is changing and also the way engine technology is changing as well,” said Agnew.

“Who would’ve thought that 400 horsepower [298kW] out of a four cylinder is possible? So it doesn’t have to be a V8. What it needs to be, though, is have enough over the derivative below it so it does have the credentials to wear the SVR badge.”

A number of manufacturers such as BMW have dropped V8 engines in some of their vehicles to make way for turbo six-cylinders, Mercedes' AMG division show that V8s still have a place and hints at a possible direction for future SVR vehicles.

“You see AMG designing a new V8 and I think you look at the C-Class AMG and versus the [bMW] M and I think they would disappointed they went to a six and AMG have 100hp on them… that new [Mercedes] V8 they’ve got is a state-of-the-art biturbo with super-low emissions, it’s a great engine,” said Agnew.

But Agnew admits that SVO could look into electrification for future models.

"We stated we are going to have an electric car. One thing about electric cars is that their performance is, dare I say, 'electric', and I think they are some of the game changers in terms of torque delivery and power delivery. In the future, when we have electric cars ,what will an SVR version of it be? It will be bloody quick, but it's too early to say [more]."

At the moment, Jaguar only has one SVR model; the 2017 F-Type SVR Coupe and Convertible with 575 horsepower coming from a supercharged V8.

Source: CarAdvice

Click here to view the article

Very Cool about looking at options, but interesting the point he makes about the super low emissions on the Bi-Turbo V8 compared to BMW going to I6 turbo.

Interesting, :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      For the past few years, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne holds a conference with journalists and analysts at the Detroit Auto Show, taking various questions. According to Motor Trend, Marchionne revealed that more crossovers are on the way for Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, and Ferrari.
      Alfa's Three-Row Crossover: Sergio Marchionne confirmed that Alfa Romeo is working on a larger SUV to sit above the Stelvio. He says this model is very important for the brand. As we reported towards the end of December, the model would use a stretched version of the Stelvio's platform and possibly feature a mild-hybrid powertrain.
      Chrysler's Pacifica-based crossover: It seems the platform that underpins the Pacifica will be used for a long-promised crossover. The model was in the previous five-year plan for FCA, but was pushed back. The model will be in the next five-year plan (expected to be shown sometime later this year) and could go into production within the next 18 months.
      Ferrari SUV: Progress on Ferrari's upcoming SUV is moving quite quickly as Marchionne said it would be ready by the end of 2019 or early 2020. At the moment, the Italian automaker has mock-up bodies of the SUV, but nothing driveable.
      “I have seen the car when I was in Europe. It’s not finished. It’s going to be Ferrari. It will drive like a Ferrari or I’ll be taken to the shed. But it looks good,” said Marchionne.
      Other bits from Marchionne:
      When asked about a performance electric vehicle, Marchionne said, “Ferrari has looked at this forever, and if there is an electric supercar to be built, Ferrari will do it,” FCA hasn't "found an economic way to get this done” when asked if there was the chance of a midsize Ram pickup. Wrangler Pickup is expected to debut towards the end of 2019 Marchionne is planning to retire as FCA CEO next year The most pressing question asked during the session? Where does he buy his sweaters? Answer: Online. Source: Motor Trend

View full article
    • By William Maley
      For the past few years, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne holds a conference with journalists and analysts at the Detroit Auto Show, taking various questions. According to Motor Trend, Marchionne revealed that more crossovers are on the way for Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, and Ferrari.
      Alfa's Three-Row Crossover: Sergio Marchionne confirmed that Alfa Romeo is working on a larger SUV to sit above the Stelvio. He says this model is very important for the brand. As we reported towards the end of December, the model would use a stretched version of the Stelvio's platform and possibly feature a mild-hybrid powertrain.
      Chrysler's Pacifica-based crossover: It seems the platform that underpins the Pacifica will be used for a long-promised crossover. The model was in the previous five-year plan for FCA, but was pushed back. The model will be in the next five-year plan (expected to be shown sometime later this year) and could go into production within the next 18 months.
      Ferrari SUV: Progress on Ferrari's upcoming SUV is moving quite quickly as Marchionne said it would be ready by the end of 2019 or early 2020. At the moment, the Italian automaker has mock-up bodies of the SUV, but nothing driveable.
      “I have seen the car when I was in Europe. It’s not finished. It’s going to be Ferrari. It will drive like a Ferrari or I’ll be taken to the shed. But it looks good,” said Marchionne.
      Other bits from Marchionne:
      When asked about a performance electric vehicle, Marchionne said, “Ferrari has looked at this forever, and if there is an electric supercar to be built, Ferrari will do it,” FCA hasn't "found an economic way to get this done” when asked if there was the chance of a midsize Ram pickup. Wrangler Pickup is expected to debut towards the end of 2019 Marchionne is planning to retire as FCA CEO next year The most pressing question asked during the session? Where does he buy his sweaters? Answer: Online. Source: Motor Trend
    • By William Maley
      Genesis is working on a new sports car that will be utilizing a plug-in hybrid powertrain. This information comes to us via Australian outlet Wheels who spoke with two senior executives from Hyundai at the Consumer Electronics Show.
      “We are definitely doing it. I’m actually reviewing the project next week, after CES. I can’t tell you much more about it, but we are definitely doing it. We are not going autonomous for all of our cars!" said Hyundai design vice-president Luc Donckerwolke.
      Hyundai's vice-chairman of research and development, Woong-chul Yang acknowledged the project, saying the coupe would be a two-seater, feature some sort of electrification, and be under the watchful eye of the N performance division.
      “We are very much interested in it and as far as I’m concerned I’d love to promote that [a sportscar]. That’s something our brand needs at this time. The people working at N will be working on that, but how we put it in the N or maybe above N … it’s pretty high performance. It’s serious,” said Yang.
      “We cannot say it will just be hybrid,” he said “but we will use electric motors and batteries to make it more performance. Some areas we cannot just overcome by putting a big ICE [internal combustion engine], we like to minimise as much as possible the ICE and use the best application of electric motors. That means not only efficiency but also performance can be very much optimised using both powertrains. Certainly we will put some electric powerplant in there.”
      Right now, the project is still in the design stage and it will likely be years before the coupe sees the light of day.
      Source: Wheels

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Genesis is working on a new sports car that will be utilizing a plug-in hybrid powertrain. This information comes to us via Australian outlet Wheels who spoke with two senior executives from Hyundai at the Consumer Electronics Show.
      “We are definitely doing it. I’m actually reviewing the project next week, after CES. I can’t tell you much more about it, but we are definitely doing it. We are not going autonomous for all of our cars!" said Hyundai design vice-president Luc Donckerwolke.
      Hyundai's vice-chairman of research and development, Woong-chul Yang acknowledged the project, saying the coupe would be a two-seater, feature some sort of electrification, and be under the watchful eye of the N performance division.
      “We are very much interested in it and as far as I’m concerned I’d love to promote that [a sportscar]. That’s something our brand needs at this time. The people working at N will be working on that, but how we put it in the N or maybe above N … it’s pretty high performance. It’s serious,” said Yang.
      “We cannot say it will just be hybrid,” he said “but we will use electric motors and batteries to make it more performance. Some areas we cannot just overcome by putting a big ICE [internal combustion engine], we like to minimise as much as possible the ICE and use the best application of electric motors. That means not only efficiency but also performance can be very much optimised using both powertrains. Certainly we will put some electric powerplant in there.”
      Right now, the project is still in the design stage and it will likely be years before the coupe sees the light of day.
      Source: Wheels
    • By William Maley
      JAGUAR LAND ROVER SETS NEW U.S. FULL YEAR SALES RECORD WITH 114,333 SALES IN 2017, A 9 PERCENT INCREASE FROM 2016 RECORD HIGH
      For the full year 2017, Jaguar Land Rover U.S. sales reached 114,333 units, up 9 percent compared to 105,104 units in 2016, and establishing a new all-time U.S. sales record for the combined brands
      Jaguar Land Rover 2017 full year U.S. sales reach 114,333 for an all-new U.S. annual sales record for the two brands combined Jaguar F-PACE and Range Rover Velar push brands to increases in 2017 For 2017, the Land Rover brand reaches a new U.S. annual high mark of 74,739 units For the full calendar year, the Jaguar brand, driven by the performance of the F-PACE and XE, reaches 39,594 units, increasing 27 percent over 2016 For December, Jaguar Land Rover reaches 11,394 units sold (MAHWAH, NJ) – January 3, 2018 -- Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC today reported December 2017 U.S. sales: Land Rover sales reached 7,980 units sold, down only 4 percent from December 2016; Jaguar sales for the month were 3,414 units; Jaguar Land Rover December U.S. sales for both brands hit 11,394 units, a 9 percent decrease from 12,573 units in December 2016.
      For the full year 2017, Jaguar Land Rover U.S. sales reached 114,333 units, up 9 percent compared to 105,104 units in 2016, and establishing a new all-time U.S. sales record for the combined brands.
      For the Land Rover brand, 2017 U.S. sales reached 74,739 units, a slight increase of 1 percent, surpassing 2016’s previous U.S. high of 73,861 units. As the flagship model for the brand, the Range Rover achieved impressive double-digit growth annually; selling 16,869 units for the full calendar year.
      For Jaguar, 2017 U.S. sales reached 39,594 units, an increase of 27 percent vs. 31,243 units in 2016 and maintaining Jaguar’s position among the industry’s growth leaders in the U.S. market. The Jaguar F-PACE performance SUV continued to be the brand’s top seller for the second consecutive year since being launched.
      "Jaguar Land Rover in the U.S. achieved another record year for 2017 as our newest models broadened the appeal of both of our great brands," said Joe Eberhardt, President and CEO, Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC.  "Our continued growth is a testament to the efforts of our retailers and employees, and the appeal of expanded product lineups. In the coming year, we look forward to the launches of our first electrified vehicles, the 2019 MY Range Rover and Range Rover Sport plug in hybrid models and the Jaguar I-PACE all-electric performance SUV.”
      U.S. BRAND HIGHLIGHTS
      Land Rover
      For the month of December, Land Rover sales reached 7,980 units, down 4 percent compared to last year.
      Offering new levels of refinement, elegance and technology to the segment, the Range Rover Velar sold 1,694 units in December, making it the most popular vehicle among Jaguar and Land Rover buyers for the last three consecutive months since its launch in late August.
      The Range Rover Sport hit 1,452 units in December vs. 2,802 units sold in December 2016. The Discovery Sport hit 1,466 units in December vs.1,659 units sold in December 2016.
      For the full year 2017, Land Rover brand U.S. sales reached a new all-time high of 74,739 units, surpassing last year’s sales of 73,861 units.  Full year sales were led by the brand volume leader Range Rover Sport, with 19,153 sales.
      Diesel powered versions of Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Range Rover Velar and Discovery continue to play an important role in the Land Rover lineup with a 14 percent take rate.
      Jaguar
      For the month of December, Jaguar sales were 3,414 units, a 20 percent decrease from 4,294 units in December 2016.
      For 2017, the Jaguar brand has increased 27 percent to 39,594 units from 31,243 in 2016, making Jaguar brand as one of the fastest growing premium brands in the U.S. market for the second year in a row.
      The outstanding annual sales performance was largely attributable to the popularity of Jaguar F-PACE and Jaguar XE. The award-winning Jaguar F-PACE had another strong year with sales hitting 18,946 units, an increase of 89 percent from 10,016 units in 2016. As the second volume leader for the brand, Jaguar XE sold 9,278 units in 2017 compared to 6,656 units in 2016, an increase of 39 percent.
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook