Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2017 Buick LaCrosse Ordering Guide

Paolino

The 2017 Buick LaCrosse Ordering Guide is up...

Some notable standard features:

• leatherette is the standard material on the base trim
  • 8-speaker audio
  • HID headlights
  • Rear vision camera (although that's standard on the current LaCrosse)
  • Rear Park Assist
  • 8-speed auto
  • active noise canceling through the speakers
  • moonglow white ambient lighting
  • 18" painted aluminum wheels

Optional Niceties include:

• ventilated and massaging seats
  • 11-speaker bose centerpoint surround sound
  • wireless charging

Nice to see Forest Green Metallic as a color option and the interior color combos sound like there are a few more choices than your standard beige, gray, black.

http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/vehiclesel.jsp?year=2017&regionID=1&divisionID=4

I'm confused about the 8-speed auto... unless its a different unit from the one in the new Malibu Turbo 2.0t, they claimed it wasn't capable of AWD. 

It's the same powertrain in the new XT5.

Paolino went and looked up the RPO codes for the transmissions and the Lacrosse and Malibu 2.0T match.... so whoever told me the transmission in the 8-speed Malibu wasn't capable of AWD got it wrong. 

I do agree... it's absurd how many people on Long Island think AWD is essential when our biggest problem is ice in the winter, and AWD is not really going to help when you're skidding into an intersection... yet SO many people I know insist, "I need to have AWD!"

• Agree 2

I do agree... it's absurd how many people on Long Island think AWD is essential when our biggest problem is ice in the winter, and AWD is not really going to help when you're skidding into an intersection... yet SO many people I know insist, "I need to have AWD!"

As I tell everyone who makes that claim.... "All cars have all wheel stop.... so buy snow tires"

• Agree 2

As I tell everyone who makes that claim.... "All cars have all wheel stop.... so buy snow tires"

I know SO MANY people that default to shopping for AWD and don't know sh!t about it (living in Maryland). I've literally heard people reference stopping ability. STOPPING ABILITY. When I explain that all cars already have "all wheel stop" as you put it, it's like a light bulb comes on in their head, but burns out the moment the conversation is over. It makes me feel like I need to hand out awareness fliers on the street. 90% of people with AWD are simply buying themselves a 200 lb dead weight security blanket at the cost of two grand and a couple mpg.

My fiance has casually mentioned the next car she wants to buy with her family, and they all brought up AWD like a necessity. I basically used my car knowledge to end the converation, but I know I didn't change anyone's dumbass opinions. Not to mention we're moving far south after the wedding, everyone knows this, yet the first comment out of their mouths is "It has AWD, right? Why not AWD?" and I'm left coming up with the most polite way to say "Shut the everloving f@#k up." #futureinlaws

• Agree 3

There are times when AWD is really needed... here in Pittsburgh, with my street and driveway... it's a must, because I have to go uphill, both ways, in the snow. (not kidding)

But I still put snow tires on my cars because going uphill also means going downhill.....

• Agree 2

I know SO MANY people that default to shopping for AWD and don't know sh!t about it (living in Maryland). I've literally heard people reference stopping ability. STOPPING ABILITY. When I explain that all cars already have "all wheel stop" as you put it, it's like a light bulb comes on in their head, but burns out the moment the conversation is over. It makes me feel like I need to hand out awareness fliers on the street. 90% of people with AWD are simply buying themselves a 200 lb dead weight security blanket at the cost of two grand and a couple mpg.

My fiance has casually mentioned the next car she wants to buy with her family, and they all brought up AWD like a necessity. I basically used my car knowledge to end the converation, but I know I didn't change anyone's dumbass opinions. Not to mention we're moving far south after the wedding, everyone knows this, yet the first comment out of their mouths is "It has AWD, right? Why not AWD?" and I'm left coming up with the most polite way to say "Shut the everloving f@#k up." #futureinlaws

Intriguing story. Much wow. Very analytical. Pulitzer nomination sent.

AWD makes it easier to gain grip taking off in snow etc. also like Drew said, some really do need it. It does provide more sure footedness in bad weather on travel outside of cities when the roads are crappy and haven't been cleared. Yes overall it improves traction. Snow tires do also however people don't like the hassle that comes with swapping out tires like that. Not to mention the cost. There is no sense berating the customer for what they think they need. You're better off pandering to those people willing to open their pocket books. An AWD car with snows will be better than a fwd car or rwd car with snows. An AWD car with all seasons will be better than a fwd car or rwd car with all seasons.

Subaru being a great example. If Subaru was not AWD why would anyone buy one?

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

AWD makes it easier to gain grip taking off in snow etc. also like Drew said, some really do need it. It does provide more sure footedness in bad weather on travel outside of cities when the roads are crappy and haven't been cleared. Yes overall it improves traction. Snow tires do also however people don't like the hassle that comes with swapping out tires like that. Not to mention the cost. There is no sense berating the customer for what they think they need. You're better off pandering to those people willing to open their pocket books. An AWD car with snows will be better than a fwd car or rwd car with snows. An AWD car with all seasons will be better than a fwd car or rwd car with all seasons.

Subaru's have one of the best crash safety records around and have for years.  They are a Japanese Volvo in that regard. 

There really is no extra cost in running snow tires, just an early cost.  You extend the life of your summer tires by 10s of thousands of miles of vehicle travel (If you drive 14,000 miles a year, in theory, you only put 7,000 miles on your summer tires)... that means a 40,000 mile set of summer tires will last 5 years instead of 2.5 years. 

I also want to point out that not all AWD systems are the same.   Honda's system is very mild.   Haldex systems are very good.  The system GM put in the Encore/Trax is excellent due to the way they tune it.   I know the system Ford put in the Escape is very good (I've seen the tests)... and if that system is also used in the larger Fords, it's capabilities should carry over.   The new Dual-Clutch system GM, Ford, and Land Rover are using in some vehicles looks to be the best new system out there.  Jeep has multiple systems for their crossovers ranging from "meh" to "rock climber".

Intriguing story. Much wow. Very analytical. Pulitzer nomination sent.

...?

Subaru's have one of the best crash safety records around and have for years.  They are a Japanese Volvo in that regard. 

There really is no extra cost in running snow tires, just an early cost.  You extend the life of your summer tires by 10s of thousands of miles of vehicle travel (If you drive 14,000 miles a year, in theory, you only put 7,000 miles on your summer tires)... that means a 40,000 mile set of summer tires will last 5 years instead of 2.5 years. 

you can explain that rationale to anyone of your friends and neighbors till you are blue in the face and what it really comes down to is people don't want to change their underwear more than once a day.  They want to 'fix the problem once', which is, the tread wears out on your tires, and you replace them, you're done till they wear out again.  Snow tires means, every fall, and every spring, you have two more tasks to do.  In addition to that, you have to find storage for your out of season tires.  The convenience aspect of all season tires far outshines the 'work' involved in doing the snow tire thing.  American human nature being what it is, you might be lucky if 5% of the driving populace in snow states will ever use dedicated snows, despite the obvious benefit they provide.

All wheel drive then, is the next step to band aid the all season tires.  AWD comes on the vehicle and requires nothing from the user to use.  Snow tires means changing them out twice a year.

So Subaru then, no one gives a hair about Subaru and safety.  They only add that on to their AWD rep.  AWD is why Subaru sells cars, plain and simple.  In the consumer's mind, there is no other reason at the forefront to direct you to a Subaru.  What Subaru has done that has made their sales go through the roof is now finally there is no cost penalty or fuel mileage penalty for their giving you all wheel drive.  That's why Subaru is booming, they give you extra for free, and does not require you to do anything.

Many people never even look under their hood or check their oil or change it.  Asking them or trying to get them to swap tires twice a year on their car will get met with an ef you.

I've been looking at lawn mowers lately.  The big rage is an engine you can never change the oil.  'just add and go'.  Presumably once the oil finally wears out, you'll get another mower.  But you don't have to change the oil!  I am sure marketing told them many customers would like that.

Edited by regfootball

• 2 weeks later...

According to Buick.com, it starts at $32,065.  I think that's an awesome price considering what you get standard.

You can't configure/build it on the site yet, though.

The base price is very competitive, it starts below Avalon, Maxima, Cadenza, and Azera, and I think it is probably better than those 4 cars, at least judging by interior photos and you get the 300 hp V6 standard with 8 speed.

I would bet that every GM product except the Corvette is capable of all wheel drive, they just choose not to put it on every product.  They could make a all wheel drive Chevy Sonic, but they want you to pay $5,000 more on a Chevy Trax to get an all wheel drive Sonic.  This may change with the 2025 CAFE number, car makers may start selling all wheel drive Corollas and Civics to pull people out of crossovers back to cars.

Just realized fog lamps are standard, but there is no spare tire on the base model.  I didn't see anywhere they include a tire inflation kit, but I'm assuming that comes with.

You can get a 305 HP Lacrosse for less money than a 197 HP Envision.

As far as spare tires go, very few cars now have one. Take out the tire and jack and engineers just saved 50 lbs of weight. And the marketing people get to write about a car being lighter and more fuel efficient.

You can get a 305 HP Lacrosse for less money than a 197 HP Envision.

As far as spare tires go, very few cars now have one. Take out the tire and jack and engineers just saved 50 lbs of weight. And the marketing people get to write about a car being lighter and more fuel efficient.

And Triple A or any of the 3rd party companies get to charge you to come out and fix your flat.

I was over to the Buick site the other day looking at the 2017 Encore, and happened to click on the LaCrosse button.  When I sawr dark green on the list of colors I went wild.  Nice car.

P.S. it seems, looking at the order guide, that the 138 hp 1.4t is still standard on the Encore?  I was hoping the 153-hp version would be standard across the board.  Did I read it wrong?  I drove a customer's 2015 Encore today for a short distance and I really like it.

P.S. it seems, looking at the order guide, that the 138 hp 1.4t is still standard on the Encore?  I was hoping the 153-hp version would be standard across the board.  Did I read it wrong?  I drove a customer's 2015 Encore today for a short distance and I really like it.

The 138 hp 1.4T is standard across all trims.  The upgraded 153hp 1.4T DI is available on all trims above the base level as an additional cost. 

You'd think that Buick being a premium over Chevy would make the 153 hp engine standard, since the Traxx has the 138.  A Mazda CX-3 has 146 hp, a Jeep Renegade 160 hp.

On an unrelated note, they should offer an extended length Traxx, with a fixed rear glass panel roof and sliding/reclining rear seats.  They can call it the Traxx Maxx.

• Agree 1

Yeah, Encore engines can be found under the Mechanical button over to the Order Guide.  Between '17 Trax and '17 Encore, I think I would go with the Buick in a mid level trim.  Before seeing either one in real life.  I like the River Rock color on the Buick, too.

The new LaCrosse is a nice car alright.  No Avenir by any stretch though, shows that the old-school hierarchy can still hurt brands with artificial constraints.

Yeah, Encore engines can be found under the Mechanical button over to the Order Guide.  Between '17 Trax and '17 Encore, I think I would go with the Buick in a mid level trim.  Before seeing either one in real life.  I like the River Rock color on the Buick, too.

The new LaCrosse is a nice car alright.  No Avenir by any stretch though, shows that the old-school hierarchy can still hurt brands with artificial constraints.

The big difference between the Trax and Encore is the level of sound isolation.  The 1.4T in the Trax is not a pleasant sound without the active noise cancellation the Encore has. Driving the Trax after spending so much time in my Encore it was immediately noticeable and completely turned me off to the car. 

Yes!  I am torn between the Dark Sapphire and Dark Forest Green Metallic paints... it would be SO nice to see a dark green car again.

I was over to the Buick site the other day looking at the 2017 Encore, and happened to click on the LaCrosse button.  When I sawr dark green on the list of colors I went wild.  Nice car.

• Agree 1

I would think a '17 Encore with the smart new look, in AWD a step up from base with the newer engine should MSRP around $30k.  Of course, knowing GM's wont to charge crazy prices for some of their stuff, it could go too high for me.

I would think a '17 Encore with the smart new look, in AWD a step up from base with the newer engine should MSRP around $30k.  Of course, knowing GM's wont to charge crazy prices for some of their stuff, it could go too high for me.

Right now an Encore is offered with the new engine in Sport Touring trim. With AWD it's $28,200. I agree it's a bit steep, and it's stupid that they're making the new 1.4T optional for an extra 15 horsepower and 30 lb-ft in a luxury car.

Meanwhile, over at Chevy dealers there will be a Cruze hatchback with the "upgraded" 1.4T standard for lower price.

I will have to study the online order guide some more.  I do like the Sport Touring package... even if the current one seems to consist of nothing more than a hatch spoiler, different wheels and the decent engine.

a jacked up sonic made in korea selling for 35 grand could stand to not charge extra for the newer motor.

(I do love the Encore BTW but some might look at the Trax and Sonic that way)

The only way to get to $35k is to select the upgraded engine.  The upgrade option on the '17 will become available as soon as you step up to the convenience group which starts at $27k btw. How much the upgrade will cost, I don't know.

Encore's interior updates for 2017 are what i am waiting to see.

Still feel Verano next version is justified.  How GM can say its not worth a low volume for Verano but then to sell a tiny few Cascadas, makes no sense.

Especially when they're building the next gen... they're just not going to sell it here.  Why wouldn't you want to sell an extra 40,000 copies of something you're already building?