dfelt

FORD Replaces 4 year old 2.2 Liter Diesel with 2.0 Liter EcoBlue Diesel

81 posts in this topic

dfelt    1,774

G. David Felt
Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com

FORD Replaces 4 year old 2.2 Liter Diesel with 2.0 Liter EcoBlue Diesel 

post-12-0-85294400-1461778891_thumb.jpg

According to multiple site, but not found on FORD own corporate web site, FORD is replacing their 4 year old 2.2 Liter Diesel with a new Clean Sheet 2.0 Liter I4 Diesel that is a game changer among all the Diesel gate scandals hitting Europe.

According to these reports there will also be a 1.5 Liter EcoBlue Diesel. These engines are built to produce 20% greater torque at 1250 rpm, Certified to meet the Euro 6 Emission standards that go into effect September 2016 and is a global engine to be used everywhere including the US market.

Initial tune will come in 3 versions from 103 to 167 HP with performance versions up to 236HP. No comment on actual Torque numbers other than to say it will be north of 250 LB-Ft of the old 2.2 liter engine. Expect this to be found in just about all auto lines according to ford statements on these sites.

FORD Press Release

ccap41    1,161

Are these slated for US work? Like, will most of the smaller US lineup receive one of these? Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Escape, maybe Edge? Then the more obvious Transit Connect. 

The name is "whatever" to me.. It will be economical and if they keep the pieces blue like the picture then it is Eco AND Blue ;) 

I'd take one to the tune of 180hp and 275tq in my Escape. I know I'd no longer have something quick but I'd have something that would probably get 35mpg highway. 

dfelt    1,774

Are these slated for US work? Like, will most of the smaller US lineup receive one of these? Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Escape, maybe Edge? Then the more obvious Transit Connect. 

The name is "whatever" to me.. It will be economical and if they keep the pieces blue like the picture then it is Eco AND Blue ;)

I'd take one to the tune of 180hp and 275tq in my Escape. I know I'd no longer have something quick but I'd have something that would probably get 35mpg highway. 

For the cost of Diesel, it better be higher than 35, These engines need to be in the 40's for MPG or better.

ccap41    1,161

For the cost of Diesel, it better be higher than 35, These engines need to be in the 40's for MPG or better.

I don't drive a car though.. and AWD. Currently my 2.0 is rated 28mpg and I think the 1.6 is/was rated at 30mpg. Both AWD form. So 35 would seem about right, right? I mean FWD a 5mpg jump is pretty significant. 

I guess it would have to surpass the CX-5 handily and 35 wouldn't cut it.

FordCosworth    128

It is a startling about-face for Ford. Still, good on them for realizing that boosted gas engines aren't the be-all and end-all.

Im confused on how this is  " about-face ".

This engine is replacing a diesel already in the Ford lineup.

Suaviloquent    713

It is a startling about-face for Ford. Still, good on them for realizing that boosted gas engines aren't the be-all and end-all.

On what premise?

Ford never said "Never Diesel" in the U.S. In fact, their V.P of Supply chain said Ford's actually seeing how well other diesel products do in the states. The Cruze diesel is still a unicorn, and dieselgate has shaken the entire diesel engine lineup decisions of many companies.

And we still don't know what it'll be put in. If it's a mid-size truck engine, then cool. If it's for the U.S. Transit (prolly not) but Transit Connect.

If it's in a Focus or Fusion, well Ford already makes diesel variants of its cars, just doesn't sell them here. 

Anyways, good try to put a spin on something that can't be spun.

• Upvote 1

El Kabong    273

Let's be realistic here. Ford was beating the EcoBoost horse to death while GM and Mopar added diesels to their lineups and reaped the rewards.

This is a huge about-face for Ford. But better late than never.

• Downvote 1

Suaviloquent    713

We don't know what products it will be available in yet.

And why would it matter? It's not a diesel engine one would expect in a light truck style vehicle. 

It's 2.0 litres of displacement. Probably not meant for a diesel pickup.

So how is it an about-face?

The absurdity of what you are saying is right up there.

• Upvote 2

FordCosworth    128

Let's be realistic here. Ford was beating the EcoBoost horse to death while GM and Mopar added diesels to their lineups and reaped the rewards.

In North America, FCA and GM added one diesel in their lineup, just like Ford.

FCA - Ram1500

GM - Colorado/Canyon ( No Cruze diesel )

Ford - Transit

Edited by FordCosworth
  • Downvote 1

El Kabong    273

And why would it matter? It's not a diesel engine one would expect in a light truck style vehicle. 

Last time I checked, car and truck sales all added to a total amount. So no-my point is perfectly legit. Also, Cruze diesel.

But doubtless absurdity abounds.

FordCosworth    128

Last time I checked, car and truck sales all added to a total amount. So no-my point is perfectly legit. Also, Cruze diesel.

But doubtless absurdity abounds.

Yup, Ford sure sells quite the number of diesel Super Duties and diesel Transits.

And there is NO diesel Cruze model ATM ( beside leftovers that collect dust on the lot ). It was a sales failure ( about 2% ) and was discontinued.

surreal1272    677

In North America, FCA and GM added one diesel in their lineup, just like Ford.

FCA - Ram1500

GM - Colorado/Canyon ( No Cruze diesel )

Ford - Transit

No Cruze? There was until this year and another is coming in 2017. The only reason for the gap is obviously because of the new model coming out.

• Upvote 1

El Kabong    273

It's just semantics. We all know what's what. GM and Mopar made the initial inroads with modern diesels in NA and reaped the rewards. Ford is just following in what is now a proven path. And hey, like I said-better late than never.

As for the HD trucks argument: Ford was late to that party as well-at least as far as getting a RELIABLE diesel...

Edited by El Kabong
  • Downvote 1

ccap41    1,161

It's just semantics. We all know what's what. GM and Mopar made the initial inroads with modern diesels in NA and reaped the rewards. Ford is just following in what is now a proven path. And hey, like I said-better late than never.  :bowdown:  :gm_logo:

Lol Posts like this are the reason for my downvotes. 

Complete and total fanboyisms. There were some more above but this was the best of them. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Upvote 1

El Kabong    273

It's just semantics. We all know what's what. GM and Mopar made the initial inroads with modern diesels in NA and reaped the rewards. Ford is just following in what is now a proven path. And hey, like I said-better late than never. :bowdown::gm_logo:

Complete and total fanboyisms. There were some more above but this was the best of them.

That ain't fanboism. That's the truth.

Funny that you show the GM emoji, but I also specified Mopar.

Or maybe that just says it all about Fordies.

I'm going with that because the facts seem to bear it out. Downvoting me based on YOUR tunnel vision.

Sheesh. Sad sad sad

Edited by El Kabong

ccap41    1,161

It's just semantics. We all know what's what. GM and Mopar made the initial inroads with modern diesels in NA and reaped the rewards. Ford is just following in what is now a proven path. And hey, like I said-better late than never. :bowdown::gm_logo:

I'm going with that because the facts seem to bear it out. Downvoting me based on YOUR tunnel vision.

Sheesh. Sad sad sad

So is GM a follower as well because we know they weren't the first here with a small diesel. How about Mopar? VW/BMW/MB have had small diesels way before the past 2-3 years.. But Ford is the follower.. you're right.  :duh:

THAT is why I called you a rabid fanboy. You blindly look past the real "originators" and pump your golden children up as if they were the first to bring small diesels here. 

• Upvote 1

El Kabong    273

Just quit while you're ahead. I busted you on your tunnel vision, because you're a hater. Your own posts bear it out. Now, read my sig:

Edited by El Kabong
  • Downvote 1

dfelt    1,774

GM Actually had small Diesels far before many of the auto companies. Perfect example is the outstanding Isuzu 4 banger Diesel they sold in the Chevy Love Truck during the 70's and even before that as Isuzu is the world leader in Diesel engine tech. So if we want to bow down to a company that really put out some amazing diesels and built for GM the Duramax Diesel, then look to Isuzu.

ccap41    1,161

Just quit while you're ahead. I busted you on your tunnel vision, because you're a hater. Your own posts bear it out. Now, read my sig:

Busted me on tunnel vision?

You're so full of it. You're so far up the General's ass you won't admit that VW/BMW/MB brought the small economical diesels(displacement between 2.0-3.0 liters) over here prior to your little golden children. I'm not even pumping up Ford. I'm just letting you know that you're not right that Ford is following GM and Mopar when the whole damn industry has made the shift and GM/FCA weren't the first ones.

dfelt, I know what you're talking about and w/o any research on my end you're probably spot on correct but those were the days of $h!, dirty diesels that people didn't like to hear or smell. 

• Upvote 2

dfelt    1,774

Yes, the diesels were dirty but Chevy did sell a ton of them as I know since I owned a 1976 Series 5 Luv Truck in both gas and diesel form. Those engines lasted almost a million miles each and I rebuilt both and sold them at a profit in the late 80's.

Guys lets also keep it civil. I know we all have our favorite brand but also need to agree to disagree at times. Please state your point and move on. No need to personally attack each other.

Please I do not want Drew to have to close down a interesting thread due to personal attacks. 

Keep it professional and your honest feeling about the products as I and others do appreciate your faith in a product line. Without our drive to support each company which has good and bad products at various times throughout the years this would not allow forums to grow and be a solid source of info.

Thank you,

• Upvote 1

ccap41    1,161

Yes, the diesels were dirty but Chevy did sell a ton of them as I know since I owned a 1976 Series 5 Luv Truck in both gas and diesel form. Those engines lasted almost a million miles each and I rebuilt both and sold them at a profit in the late 80's.

Guys lets also keep it civil. I know we all have our favorite brand but also need to agree to disagree at times. Please state your point and move on. No need to personally attack each other.

Please I do not want Drew to have to close down a interesting thread due to personal attacks. 

Keep it professional and your honest feeling about the products as I and others do appreciate your faith in a product line. Without our drive to support each company which has good and bad products at various times throughout the years this would not allow forums to grow and be a solid source of info.

Thank you,

Sorry his d-baggery just get's old like Wing's did. The blindness...The blindness. 

Delete this post if necessary, no skin off my back. 

• Upvote 1

Drew Dowdell    4,993

Sheesh. Sad sad sad

Actually, GM is pretty late to the party on light-duty diesels in North America as well.  All of the Germans have offered diesels for years, Jeep was selling diesels in the Liberty in 2005 and Grand Cherokee in 2007 with not one, but three different diesels. 

Ford's car diesels in Europe have a good reputation already, they just don't sell them in the US.  That's a marketing decision, not a technical one, so there is no "catching up" on Ford's part here.    I agree that Ford should sell this new 4-cylinder in the US, but hey, I don't sit in the corner office in Dearborn.   I think GM should sell the "whisper-diesel" in the US too... but again, no chair for me in the RenCen.

• Upvote 1

dfelt    1,774

Sheesh. Sad sad sad

Actually, GM is pretty late to the party on light-duty diesels in North America as well.  All of the Germans have offered diesels for years, Jeep was selling diesels in the Liberty in 2005 and Grand Cherokee in 2007 with not one, but three different diesels. 

Ford's car diesels in Europe have a good reputation already, they just don't sell them in the US.  That's a marketing decision, not a technical one, so there is no "catching up" on Ford's part here.    I agree that Ford should sell this new 4-cylinder in the US, but hey, I don't sit in the corner office in Dearborn.   I think GM should sell the "whisper-diesel" in the US too... but again, no chair for me in the RenCen.

I Vote for DREW to have a Seat at both FORD and GM. This way we get real world traveler input into what should be sold here. 

I agree both FORD and GM should have their diesels here in the US.

I fear though that due to the Diesel gate issues with Euro manufactures and mpg issues out of Japan that we will see a push away from the Diesel.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      With only 500 Ford GTs being built for its production, each one will be considered as a rare and special vehicle. But there will always be those who want something a bit more special. Ford has just the GT for you in the form of the 2018 GT '67 Heritage Edition.
      Paying homage to the 1967 Le Mans victory by the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt, the '67 Heritage Edition is finished in the same red paint and white stripes, as well as the same no.1 that the winning GT40 wore. Other exterior items to take note of are the exposed carbon fiber package, 20-inch forged aluminum wheels, red brake calipers, and silver mirror caps. The interior comes with red accent stitching, anodized gray paddle shifters, exposed carbon fiber trim, and a serialized identification plaque.
      “In creating a worthy successor to the 2017 Heritage edition, we logically looked at our next historic Le Mans victory with the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt. The 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition pays homage to that win, with a modern take on one of the most important vehicles in Ford’s storied history of racing,” said Dave Pericak, global director of Ford Performance.
      Ford says they will build a limited amount of the GT ’67 Heritage Edition.
      Source: Ford
      Press Release is on Page 2

FORD PERFORMANCE TO OFFER TRIBUTE LIVERY OF HISTORIC 1967 LE MANS WINNER WITH 2018 FORD GT '67 HERITAGE EDITION
      Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition with unique red-and-white-stripe livery celebrates 1967 Le Mans-winning GT40 Mark IV race car driven by all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt   Ford GT ‘67 Heritage edition honoring historic No. 1 race car introduced for 2018 model year Limited-edition Ford GT features exclusive race-number graphics, plus unique interior colors, materials and appointments DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 15, 2017 – The 2018 Ford GT will be available in a new limited-edition Heritage theme honoring the GT40 Mark IV race car driven to victory by the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt at Le Mans in 1967. The car will feature unique interior and exterior color themes, and an exclusive wheel finish.
      “In creating a worthy successor to the 2017 Heritage edition, we logically looked at our next historic Le Mans victory with the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt,” said Dave Pericak, global director Ford Performance. “The 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition pays homage to that win, with a modern take on one of the most important vehicles in Ford’s storied history of racing.”
      The Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition features a gloss-finish Race Red exterior with white stripes and exposed carbon package. The car sports Frozen White No. 1 hood and door graphics, and 20-inch one-piece forged aluminum wheels in silver satin clearcoat with black lug nuts. Red calipers and silver rearview mirror caps complete the look.
      The interior begins with new leather trimming for the carbon fiber seats, with red accent stitching, which carries over to the steering wheel. The seat belt webbing is now red and the paddle shifters are anodized gray. Satin dark stainless appliqués are used on the instrument panel, door register bezels and x-brace.
      Rounding out modifications to the ’67 Heritage edition car are a unique serialized identification plate, plus exposed matte carbon fiber door sills, air register pods and center console.
      “The first Heritage edition car was a huge success, honoring our history with a modern interpretation of the Le Mans winner,” said Garen Nicoghosian, exterior design manager for the car. “Continuing with a 2018 Ford GT based on the winning GT40 Mark IV race car was simply something we needed to do.”
      The Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition can be viewed at FordGT.com using the configuration tool. Limited quantities will be available for the 2018 model year.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      With only 500 Ford GTs being built for its production, each one will be considered as a rare and special vehicle. But there will always be those who want something a bit more special. Ford has just the GT for you in the form of the 2018 GT '67 Heritage Edition.
      Paying homage to the 1967 Le Mans victory by the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt, the '67 Heritage Edition is finished in the same red paint and white stripes, as well as the same no.1 that the winning GT40 wore. Other exterior items to take note of are the exposed carbon fiber package, 20-inch forged aluminum wheels, red brake calipers, and silver mirror caps. The interior comes with red accent stitching, anodized gray paddle shifters, exposed carbon fiber trim, and a serialized identification plaque.
      “In creating a worthy successor to the 2017 Heritage edition, we logically looked at our next historic Le Mans victory with the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt. The 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition pays homage to that win, with a modern take on one of the most important vehicles in Ford’s storied history of racing,” said Dave Pericak, global director of Ford Performance.
      Ford says they will build a limited amount of the GT ’67 Heritage Edition.
      Source: Ford
      Press Release is on Page 2

FORD PERFORMANCE TO OFFER TRIBUTE LIVERY OF HISTORIC 1967 LE MANS WINNER WITH 2018 FORD GT '67 HERITAGE EDITION
      Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition with unique red-and-white-stripe livery celebrates 1967 Le Mans-winning GT40 Mark IV race car driven by all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt   Ford GT ‘67 Heritage edition honoring historic No. 1 race car introduced for 2018 model year Limited-edition Ford GT features exclusive race-number graphics, plus unique interior colors, materials and appointments DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 15, 2017 – The 2018 Ford GT will be available in a new limited-edition Heritage theme honoring the GT40 Mark IV race car driven to victory by the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt at Le Mans in 1967. The car will feature unique interior and exterior color themes, and an exclusive wheel finish.
      “In creating a worthy successor to the 2017 Heritage edition, we logically looked at our next historic Le Mans victory with the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt,” said Dave Pericak, global director Ford Performance. “The 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition pays homage to that win, with a modern take on one of the most important vehicles in Ford’s storied history of racing.”
      The Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition features a gloss-finish Race Red exterior with white stripes and exposed carbon package. The car sports Frozen White No. 1 hood and door graphics, and 20-inch one-piece forged aluminum wheels in silver satin clearcoat with black lug nuts. Red calipers and silver rearview mirror caps complete the look.
      The interior begins with new leather trimming for the carbon fiber seats, with red accent stitching, which carries over to the steering wheel. The seat belt webbing is now red and the paddle shifters are anodized gray. Satin dark stainless appliqués are used on the instrument panel, door register bezels and x-brace.
      Rounding out modifications to the ’67 Heritage edition car are a unique serialized identification plate, plus exposed matte carbon fiber door sills, air register pods and center console.
      “The first Heritage edition car was a huge success, honoring our history with a modern interpretation of the Le Mans winner,” said Garen Nicoghosian, exterior design manager for the car. “Continuing with a 2018 Ford GT based on the winning GT40 Mark IV race car was simply something we needed to do.”
      The Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition can be viewed at FordGT.com using the configuration tool. Limited quantities will be available for the 2018 model year.
    • By William Maley
      Great Britain is planning to ban the sale of conventional gas and diesel vehicles from 2040 to help reduce air pollution. The government announced this in a paper published by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).
      "There should be no new diesel or petrol vehicles by 2040," said environment minister Michael Gove to BBC Radio.
      This is part of the government's £2.7bn blueprint for tackling air pollution. This includes investments going towards building out a charging infrastructure, more efficient public transport, and promoting walking and bicycling. It needs to be noted that the ban will not affect models with hybrid and plug-in hybrid drivetrains - early reports said all gas and diesel vehicles would be banned. 
      This announcement comes a few weeks after France made a similar announcement to ban gas vehicles by 2040.
      Source: Reuters
    • By William Maley
      Great Britain is planning to ban the sale of conventional gas and diesel vehicles from 2040 to help reduce air pollution. The government announced this in a paper published by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).
      "There should be no new diesel or petrol vehicles by 2040," said environment minister Michael Gove to BBC Radio.
      This is part of the government's £2.7bn blueprint for tackling air pollution. This includes investments going towards building out a charging infrastructure, more efficient public transport, and promoting walking and bicycling. It needs to be noted that the ban will not affect models with hybrid and plug-in hybrid drivetrains - early reports said all gas and diesel vehicles would be banned. 
      This announcement comes a few weeks after France made a similar announcement to ban gas vehicles by 2040.
      Source: Reuters

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)