Drew Dowdell

Use your Own Car or Rent one?

I think I've had so many rentals over the years mostly because of geography...Colorado and Arizona are fairly isolated from places I tend to go, other than So Cal being an easy drive from Phoenix, most other out-of-state trips I've taken were too far to conveniently drive in a few hours (cities up and down the West Coast, Chicago, Ohio, etc).  With cheap flights from Southwest, United, Frontier, etc it was always easy to fly away for a long weekend and rent a car at my destination...

I'm leaning more toward the rental right now because there will be 4 of us in an Encore and that feels pretty tight for such a long drive.  Albert wants to take the Encore because its a car he's familiar with. (I don't have to pay the extra driver fee due to my contract with national)

Being one of the tallest and biggest members here at C&G you all know I drive full size SUV's as such, I always default to my own personal auto even on long road trips. I love to drive and for me driving 500 miles in a day or even 900 is no big deal.

This saturday taking some friends to the Hoh Rain Forest on the Olympic peninsula to show them the awesome area. 

Hoh Rain Forest web site: HERE

National Park web site covering Hoh Rain Forest: HERE

Images of the Hoh Rain Forest: HERE

From my house to the park and back is a total 471 miles or 235.5 one way.

Reason for using my own personal transportation, I know the condition the auto is in, I have everything set the way I like it, I am totally prepped for the long drive.

Rental, makes sense if your auto is needing things done before the road trip or older and might not make it, if you have more people going and only have small auto's then I would get a bigger one. Was surprised as to how nice the Ford Explorers were on my most recent trip. If you just do not want to put the miles on your own auto then by all means rent.

Personally, I will stick to my own paid off auto.

I ended up using the Buick.  I have a hard stop in July on the tires as they won't pass inspection then (they wouldn't pass inspection today). So, instead of renting I decided to just save the money from renting the car for the new set of tires in July and burn as many miles off the old tires as possible till then.

It was a little snug with 4 of us in the car, but it was fine.

Very cool, and yes I would also burn off the tires and save the money for new ones. Glad to hear you has a fine road trip.

I second that...Im glad you had a fine road trip.

What is this "hard stop in July on the tires as they won't pass inspection"  you mention?

I second that...Im glad you had a fine road trip.

What is this "hard stop in July on the tires as they won't pass inspection"  you mention?

Someone previous mentioned that I should use a rental because it would mean having to replace the tires a month sooner because I was about to put 900 miles on them.  The "hard stop" is that they have to be replaced by end of July regardless because they are already in a condition that they would fail inspection..... so might as well burn as many miles off of them as possible before I am forced to replace them anyway.