Spied: 2008 Hyundai Mesa

Spied: 2008 Hyundai Mesa

Posted Image

Meet the next vehicle dedicated to Hyundai's love of the American Southwest: the Mesa. It is Hyundai's newest and largest SUV, larger than the mid-size Santa Fe but not quite as large as full-size competitors. A great bit of detail can be seen in these photos inside and out. The interior looks to be a fusion of the Infiniti FX and Lexus RX.

Read "When Santa Fe just isn't big enough" @ Edmunds

Guest YellowJacket894

Tuscon? Santa Fe? Mesa?

Hmmm... :scratchchin:

How about:

Salsa?

Mafungo?

Guacamole?

All kidding aside, it seems to be a good looking product and a decent Lambda competitor.

Wow... Hyundai is expanding fast. And I see LED taillamps are the wave of the future. It'd be nice to see them on cars used in creative ways since they are so small and easily molded to whatever design one can dream up.

It blows my mind how fast Hyundai is growing, and also how fast they are jumping into vehicle categories. The Mesa (do they have a love-affair with Arizona or something?) looks ok, chunky in the butt and funky in the roofline, but looks as ok as the ugly camo will let it. Lambdas have some new competition...

The Interior really is the direct result of a fusion between the FX and RX. Nice? Very. Original? Not so much. Still, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed overall. Knockoff or not, it looks extremely well done.

I can't make a fair judgement on the exterior from these pictures, but I'm confident the Enclave will have it covered on that front. Regardless, I really hope Buick utilizes details like the Enclave's unique leather trimmings to help set it apart.

That interior looks spectacular. Look how the controls are integrated into the center stack...Very nice. Looks like Hyundai beat the domestics to integrated controls...the Enclave's look cheap by comparison.

Posted Image

Edited by Dodgefan

It's like they're trying too hard to make a design statement.

use the word 'failing' instead of 'trying'.

it still has that walmart made in china quality to it. are we not looking a GEELY?

nice azera door panels.

the exterior is bad. the dash is a step up over the abysmal azera, but still suffers from a disjointed hodgepodge look with no real interesting detailing.

i'd get an Enclave, Outlook, or Acadia.

it still has that walmart made in china quality to it.  are we not looking a GEELY?

nice azera door panels.

the exterior is bad.  the dash is a step up over the abysmal azera, but still suffers from a disjointed hodgepodge look with no real interesting detailing.

That's a typical bashing of it just because it's Korean...tell me: were you testing that vehicle and happened to sit inside of it and touch the materials? Can you magically uncover the heavy camo and know exactly what it's gonna look like? The answer to both is most likely NO.

This interior is easily on par with the Enclave/Outlook...actually I like it better since it has nicer integration of the center stack and doesn't use that damn flat black plastic.

Edited by Dodgefan

That interior looks spectacular. Look how the controls are integrated into the center stack...Very nice. Looks like Hyundai beat the domestics to integrated controls...the Enclave's look cheap by comparison.

Posted Image

If that makes the Enclave's interior look "cheap" then every Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep must look 3rd World... especially the luxury Aspen and Commander.

My point is, the Hyundai's interior looks good, but the Enclave's interior doesn't look cheap regardless to what it's compared to.

If that makes the Enclave's interior look "cheap" then every Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep must look 3rd World... especially the luxury Aspen and Commander. 

My point is, the Hyundai's interior looks good, but the Enclave's interior doesn't look cheap regardless to what it's compared to.

You can't tell me the same stereo head you find in a Cobalt that you get in the Enclave doesn't cheapen the look. At least some.

You can't tell me the same stereo head you find in a Cobalt that you get in the Enclave doesn't cheapen the look. At least some.

Show me one picture of the Enclave with the same stereo head as the Cobalt, and then I'll evaluate it. :AH-HA_wink:

I think the stereo in my Cobalt is integrated quite well, and looks very good...

Yes, GM parts bin puts the same one in the Enclave, but I don't mind parts sharing so much when they're GOOD parts... Please explain to me how the Cobalt stereo is uglier, less ergonomic, etc. than this one.

Actually, that was my mistake. I forgot that the Cobalt has the older style stereo head unit. Ok second look, the centerstack ins't bad...but why do they still have to use flat black plastic? I like the Outlook's Exterior best, I like the Enclave next, but I can't make final judgement until after I see the Hyundai without camo.

Personally..I still like it's interior better. It just bugs me that reg automatiucally asumes it looks like crap and is cheap and stuff jeust because it's from Hyundai..if this were a GM interior, EVERYONE would be gushing over it.

Edited by Dodgefan

Regardless, I really hope Buick utilizes details like the Enclave's unique leather trimmings to help set it apart. 

I agree. I really hope they don't skimp on the Enclave's interior. That said, I see the Enclave as more of a lux compeititor. This thing will compete more directly with Acadia and Outlook, IMHO.

The upper-level Mesa interior looks very good. I believe the Sonata interior designers have been fired or at least it appears that way. However, look at the base interior shot. It would be hilarious if the radio/HVAC switchgear remained silver and the surrounding plastics made black. Not so integrated there.

The headlight cluster is interesting and use of LEDs are cool but the taillights look like a combination of Mazda Tribute and the new Lexus design. I'm not a fan of the swoopy styling, either.

Actually, that was my mistake. I forgot that the Cobalt has the older style stereo head unit. Ok second look, the centerstack ins't bad...but why do they still have to use flat black plastic? I like the Outlook's Exterior best, I like the Enclave next, but I can't make final judgement until after I see the Hyundai without camo.

Personally..I still like it's interior better. It just bugs me that reg automatiucally asumes it looks like crap and is cheap and stuff jeust because it's from Hyundai..if this were a GM interior, EVERYONE would be gushing over it.

no, i don't like it because its B.F. UGLY!

• 2 months later...

Hyundai is incredible!

Every new product is more amazing than the one it replaces, and coupled with that warranty, it's no wonder Hyundai is ballooning out so fast.

World's Fifth Largest Automaker?

Hmm, they may end up at number four...

it still has that walmart made in china quality to it.  are we not looking a GEELY?

nice azera door panels.

the exterior is bad.  the dash is a step up over the abysmal azera, but still suffers from a disjointed hodgepodge look with no real interesting detailing.

138020[/snapback]

SOMEbody doesn't like Hyundai........em'kay?

I think the shifter knob with the wood trim is EXACTLY the same as the Camry XLE. Color, style, everything.

There are two things which can kill this design easily. One, the freakin new Hynudai smell. I spent a couple days this summer at the Hyundai dealership prepping cars for the lot, and they suck to get into cause they smell bad. Two, even if the interior design is good (new Santa Fe), they use cheap plastics. People harp on Hyundai for this a lot, maybe a bit too much, but seeing Hyundai interiors in person compared to pictures made a huge difference to me and definitely lowered my opinon of the marque.