Cobalt or ION?

Say you were going to buy or lease a new GM small car, which would you choose - Cobalt or ION?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Say you were going to buy or lease a new GM small car, which would you choose - Cobalt or ION?

• Cobalt
    • Ion
    • Other (please state which car & why)

Aveo! Its what im looking for right now since i have my Caprice and silverado for the other stuff like hauling the woman around and the Taxi as it is called.

11 votes total so far -- 5 for the COBALT, 1 for the ION, and 5 for OTHER (used Alero, Aveo, 9-2x). Keep 'em coming and don't forget to post your thoughts and knowledge on those two cars and the others. As for anything used, I'm not really considering that avenue because I want to lease the replacement.

Which leads me to why I've posted this poll. With the addition of the SKY, the wife wants to trim car payments. The Envoy is leased and I'm not getting rid of the SKY, so the only option is to find a cheaper alternative to the Malibu. Plus I've been wanting to replace the Malibu anyway. What I'm not liking about the choices is that they have small interiors - I wanted something a little bigger than the Malibu on the inside, not smaller. I'd like to consider the VUE, but the prospect of a 4cyl front weel drive cheapo model doesn't seem to impress me (btw, does anyone here have any experience with the FWD models?). I'd consider the FWD VUE because we have the Envoy with 4wd if needed and a FWD VUE might be more economical. If it's a dog, then I'd rather forget it.

Anyway, I'm looking for more experiences with either the Cobalt or ION. Please post away.

Cobalt 'cause it's adequately safe.

Last I knew, both had 5-star crash test ratings.

Pesonally, I'd prefer the Cobalt for looks and interior, but the Ion for the polymer panels and Saturn experience. Of course, the dealer experience varies from dealer to dealer some with Saturn, as well as Chevy, so that advantage could even go to Chevy depending on your particular local dealers.

Both are solid cars and good choices. Personally, I voted Ion.

Between the two, the Cobalt-especially the SS Supercharged

Just looks better inside and out than the ION. The ION looks too chunky to me.

However, I'd take an Alero over the Cobalt since it's bigger and looks a little better. I like the 3400 V6, even though the Cobalt SS makes more power.

I already answered this question June 23rd of last year when I took delivery of a Cobalt :chevy:

Everyone keep saying SS Supercharged, but you can get one of those with 4 doors, which is what he wants. (Yes I realize the HHR is not a sedan either, but I figured that more doors wouldn't hurt).

If you're open to something used, what about a used CTS? It would be more expensive than the Malibu though so it probably wouldn't work.

ION. It won quietest ride in its class. I think that it looks more classy then the cobalt and the ION 3 gets you a lot of features for around 15k. Plus it has the dent resistant panels...keeps my saturn looking new.

Classy? Is you vision impaired and you oversaw it's ugly front end? (it looked better before the refresh). I'm just messin' But still...I don't like the looks of the sedan at all...The Quad Coupe is alright though looks wise. Me? SRT-4 please...Neon or Caliber

Classy? Is you vision impaired and you oversaw it's ugly front end? (it looked better before the refresh). I'm just messin' But still...I don't like the looks of the sedan at all...The Quad Coupe is alright though looks wise. Me? SRT-4 please...Neon or Caliber

The quad cpupe still looks like an SC2 to me...and yes, the sedan does look more classy then the cobalt. I happen to like it.

This says classy to me as compared to previous gan saturns and the cobalt

Posted Image

Yeah, but that doesn't make it classy. Neither the ION nor the Cobalt are classy vehicles. Want class? Step into a Buick, Chrysler, or a pricier model. You aren't going to get much class from a flipping ION.

This says classy to me as compared to previous gan saturns and the cobalt

Posted Image

Agreed... the ION is nice in a funky, cool, original sort of way. I'd like the ION shell and interior styling with the decent mechanicals and quality of the Cobalt.

As far as safety, the ION gets an acceptable/poor front/side IIHS rating, while the Cobalt gets good/acceptable with optional curtains.

Last evening while I was wandering, I took a side cut through the local Saturn dealership. They had a new white ION sedan with the 2.4L Ecotec, and black stripes like a Mustang along the bottom of the doors that say "VVT". :huh:

GM has improved the looks of the ION over the years, with nice colors, better looking wheels, and nicer interior details. Still, it's wounded. The S-series was too hard to top, I guess, even with oil burning issues.

Cobalt needs a little more boldness. An SS sedan in bright white with black leather interior approaches Mazda3 coolness, but a base sedan doesn't match a base 3 on looks.

Ravenfreak13, I think you and I are the only Saturn fans here! I also know what you're trying to say about the upscale looks of the ION over the Cobalt. I think to be fair though you have to compare the Cobalt LTZ sedan against the ION 3 sedan in that case. I think the frontend & rearend styling on the ION is more upscale over the Cobalt, but I like the bodyside design of the Cobalt a little more. In the ION's favor is the dent resistant polymer panels - much needed for my wife's company war-zone parking lot. :P

A lot of people here are saying that I should get a Cobalt SS sedan - unfortunately I feel the lease price on those will be much more than what I want to pay; heck, even a Cobalt LTZ may be too much. SS's in my area range from $20,500 to $22,000; LTZ's range from $18,500 to $20,000; the ION 3's I've been looking at are around $16-$17K. Preferrably I'd like to be in the low $200's for a monthly payment.

Sad part is that my GM Card earnings may also decide on what car I get. I know I can use them on Chevy, but I think Saturn's are still off-limits. Stupid seeing as how Saturn has pretty much been integrated into the GM fold now. Even the ordering system was changed over in April from Saturn's specific way to the autonomous GM way.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

GMTG74... I love the plastic bodyside panels. I wish GM had found an effective way to educate the public on their benefits. Is it true they were more expensive to build than plain old steel? I'm sad to see them go, they were a big part of Saturn's identity.

Um... I wish Subaru was still part of GM... hmph. :P

Agreed. :(

I think the ION sedan in ugly inside and out.

The QuadCoupe is kind of neat on the

exterior but Id still go for a Cobalt coupe.

Except with the baby... I might test drive

both and see if I might benefot from the

suicide doors, those are neat.

Ravenfreak13, I think you and I are the only Saturn fans here!  I also know what you're trying to say about the upscale looks of the ION over the Cobalt.  I think to be fair though you have to compare the Cobalt LTZ sedan against the ION 3 sedan in that case.  I think the frontend & rearend styling on the ION is more upscale over the Cobalt, but I like the bodyside design of the Cobalt a little more.  In the ION's favor is the dent resistant polymer panels - much needed for my wife's company war-zone parking lot.  :P

It has nothing to do with being a Saturn fan. I'm a Pontiac, but I go around calling duds like the Aztek classy, or in Pontiac's fashion, sporty? Hell no. Also, while the polymer panels are an ingenius idea, they are executed poorly. The design accentuates the fact that they're plastic and it especially looks like $h!. The original Saturn S-series was done correctly. The Ion... it just looks like a laughable attempt at a mediocre car. Now, the Quad coupe certainly faired better and is atleast acceptable, but still far from perfect.

Cobalt.

It's decent looking, quiet, and pleasant to be in.

Plus, it has multilink/strut-type trunk hinges as opposed to goose neck types.

Isn't that sad? A thing I consider when buying a car is its trunk hinge system. Hehe. Guess I just see the lack of goose necks to be more sophisticated, and they don't take up trunk space!