William Maley

Audi News: Revealed! 2017 Audi A5/S5 Coupe

Tonight in Ingolstadt, Audi revealed the new 2017 A5 and S5 coupes. You might look and wonder what's different about the new model compared to old - it looks the same. We can't fault you for thinking that. The only real change that most people will be able to pick out is the slightly wider grille up front. Audi has improved the overall aerodynamics with a class-leading 0.25 drag coefficient.

At least the interior does reveal some significant changes. Much like the A4, the A5 gets a new dash design with minimal clutter and an 8.3-inch screen. Audi's 12.3-inch virtual cockpit system is available. The A5 will also be the first Audi model to feature the automaker's connect SIM, a SIM card that permanently installed in the vehicle to an provide LTE data connection. For Europe, the A5 will be offered with two gas and three diesel engines. Power ranges from 190 to 286 horsepower. There will be the choice of either a six-speed manual or seven-speed automatic, along with front or quattro all-wheel drive.

The S5 features a new 3.0L supercharged V6 with 354 horsepower, up 21 horsepower from the previous model. An eight-speed automatic and quattro all-wheel drive comes standard.

Despite a longer wheelbase and wider tracks, Audi says the new A5 is about 132.5 pounds lighter than the outgoing model.

Audi is planning to launch the A5 coupe later this year in Europe, with the U.S. following sometime after. Expect to see the convertible and sportback later on.

Source: Audi

2017 Audi A5 5
Album: 2017 Audi A5 and S5
13 images
0 comments

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article

Cools specs, nice update, but over all Audi just has never done anything for me. Not sure why but they just do not inspire me with excitement. This update included.

To me, the entire Audi brand reminds me of this character from this anime. Aloof, cold, calculating...flithy rich, and nefarious, scheming, and egotistical.

But that's a nice interior, perhaps not flashy like the C-Class, but definitely luxo, with the best in class infotainment, especially virtual cockpit, that's real nice. The exterior, is...it's another car to see in person, it also lost weight too, so there's that. And honestly, the ATS's weight advanatge has evaporated over the years. Maybe updated Alpha will do even more with the Omega tech, but right now, the ball is right back in Germany's court for the compact luxury sedan segment, where BMW is floundering, Mercedes and Audi look to fill the gap*, with Cadillac facing real competition.

yld13.jpg

*being overpriced many time of course. 

For a number of years I have on occasion called it out that 'auto design is in its 95th percentile' as far as moving forward goes.

Coming to mind here is the current Camaro vs. the prior gen, the miata, the SIlverado, and the above audi. There are more, but these alone represent a clear illustration of my point; that consumers at large are seeing less & less forward design progress. Far too many external influences and technology/the science of building cars has made ALL the MAJOR advances already; only tweaks are left.

- - - - -

Audi has the most palatable styling of the German Big 3, but it still leaves me flat. I don't find it to be aspirational or particularly good looking, just… meh.
I wish they had their own engines across the board… but I'd never own one either way.

Actually, the more I look at it, the more I like it. The grille is more like the concept Audi had a year ago.

If the A6 is a longer version of this, but even better interior....

Tough to imagine how this A5 isn't the best car in its class now, it seems very well rounded (not rounded like before tho).

Actually, the more I look at it, the more I like it. The grille is more like the concept Audi had a year ago.

Tough to imagine how this A5 isn't the best car in its class now, it seems very well rounded (not rounded like before tho).

Kramer%2Bcontribute%2Bnothing.jpg

tumblr_mj2lhg9Y0y1rzd6w3o1_500.jpg

Dislike.

I'm also noticing an increasing number of luxury cars dipping into the Cadillac design book. The CTS's vertical leds and general aggressive design are setting trends. You can see it in the S5 here.

I'm not saying the cars look similar. I'm saying there's a flattering pilfering of design elements. Look at the character lines on the hood and the vertical bars in the S5's fog-light spaces.

2016-cadillac-cts-sedan-003.jpg

Kramer%2Bcontribute%2Bnothing.jpg

tumblr_mj2lhg9Y0y1rzd6w3o1_500.jpg

Err...what is this supposed to mean? I'm on a bit of a vacation.

Love it.  I am personally glad they went evolutionary instead of revolutionary.  The A5 has been one of my favorite designs since it came out so i am glad we still get hat sweet exterior with Audi's latest interior and powertrain tech.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. ToniCipriani
      ToniCipriani
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Most wagon options in the U.S. fall under the slightly-lifted off-road category. The reason is quite simple as buyers like the looks and capability on offer when compared to standard wagons. Case in point is the latest member of the Golf family, the Alltrack. Volkswagen recently revealed that 75 percent of Golf SportWagens sold in the U.S. are Alltracks. We happen to be big fans of the Golf SportWagen as it builds upon many of strong points of the regular Golf by making it more practical. Can the Golf Alltrack do the same?
      The small changes made to the Golf Alltrack’s exterior help make it stand out somewhat. It begins with the slight 0.6-inch increase in ride height and a larger tire and wheel combination. Our SEL tester feature 18-inch wheels, while the S and SE make do with 17-inch wheels. Other exterior changes include new bumpers and lower body cladding. Volkswagen didn’t make any changes to the Alltrack’s interior which is a good thing. It retains the clean if a somewhat boring design that makes it easy to find the various controls. Build and material quality is very solid.  SEL models get a 6.5-inch touchscreen with Volkswagen’s Car-Net infotainment system and navigation. We like how fast the system is with switching between various functions, physical shortcut buttons, and integration with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Car-Net loses some points for low-resolution graphics and the navigation system looking very dated.  The seats are quite comfortable with excellent support and good bolstering to keep you planted when traversing down a winding road. Head and legroom are excellent in both rows of seats. A turbocharged 1.8L four-cylinder with 170 horsepower and 199 pound-feet of torque provides the motivation for the Golf Alltrack. This is paired with a six-speed DSG transmission (a six-speed manual is available on the S and SE) and Volkswagen’s 4Motion all-wheel drive system. Despite being about 300 pounds heavier than the SportWagen, the Alltrack doesn’t break a sweat. It feels just as fast as the SportWagen we drove last year with strong acceleration throughout the rpm band. The DSG still exhibits some sluggishness when leaving a stop, but improves when you’re up to speed with rapid and smooth shifts. Fuel economy is disappointing with EPA figures of 22 City/30 Highway/25 Combined. We saw an average of 25 MPG with a mix of 70 percent city and 30 percent highway driving. Ride and handling characteristics is much like the standard Golf and SportWagen. No matter the road surface, the Alltrack’s suspension was able to provide a comfortable ride. Around corners, the Alltrack does show a little bit of body roll. However, it feels as agile as the standard SportWagen and the steering is quick to respond to inputs. The Golf Alltrack begins at $25,850 for the base S with manual transmission. Our loaded SEL tester totaled $35,705 with the Driver Assistance and Light package. That’s a lot of money for a compact off-road wagon, especially considering you can get into a larger Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with the excellent EyeSight active safety system for around the same money. If we were buying a Golf Alltrack, we would drop down to the S with the DSG and order the Driver Assistance package, bring the total price to just over $28,500. The Alltrack is a worthy addition to the Golf family as it provides something a bit more capable while retaining many of the plus points of the standard Golf. We do wish the DSG was smoother during low-speed driving and fuel economy was slightly better.  
      Disclaimer: Volkswagen Provided the Golf Alltrack, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017 
      Make: Volkswagen
      Model: Golf Alltrack
      Trim: SEL
      Engine: Turbocharged 1.8L TSI DOHC Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Six-Speed DSG, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 170 @ 4,500
      Torque @ RPM: 199 @ 1,600
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 22/30/25
      Curb Weight: 3,351 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: N/A
      Base Price: $32,890
      As Tested Price: $35,705 (Includes $820.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      SEL Driver Assistance & Lighting Package - $1,995.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Most wagon options in the U.S. fall under the slightly-lifted off-road category. The reason is quite simple as buyers like the looks and capability on offer when compared to standard wagons. Case in point is the latest member of the Golf family, the Alltrack. Volkswagen recently revealed that 75 percent of Golf SportWagens sold in the U.S. are Alltracks. We happen to be big fans of the Golf SportWagen as it builds upon many of strong points of the regular Golf by making it more practical. Can the Golf Alltrack do the same?
      The small changes made to the Golf Alltrack’s exterior help make it stand out somewhat. It begins with the slight 0.6-inch increase in ride height and a larger tire and wheel combination. Our SEL tester feature 18-inch wheels, while the S and SE make do with 17-inch wheels. Other exterior changes include new bumpers and lower body cladding. Volkswagen didn’t make any changes to the Alltrack’s interior which is a good thing. It retains the clean if a somewhat boring design that makes it easy to find the various controls. Build and material quality is very solid.  SEL models get a 6.5-inch touchscreen with Volkswagen’s Car-Net infotainment system and navigation. We like how fast the system is with switching between various functions, physical shortcut buttons, and integration with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Car-Net loses some points for low-resolution graphics and the navigation system looking very dated.  The seats are quite comfortable with excellent support and good bolstering to keep you planted when traversing down a winding road. Head and legroom are excellent in both rows of seats. A turbocharged 1.8L four-cylinder with 170 horsepower and 199 pound-feet of torque provides the motivation for the Golf Alltrack. This is paired with a six-speed DSG transmission (a six-speed manual is available on the S and SE) and Volkswagen’s 4Motion all-wheel drive system. Despite being about 300 pounds heavier than the SportWagen, the Alltrack doesn’t break a sweat. It feels just as fast as the SportWagen we drove last year with strong acceleration throughout the rpm band. The DSG still exhibits some sluggishness when leaving a stop, but improves when you’re up to speed with rapid and smooth shifts. Fuel economy is disappointing with EPA figures of 22 City/30 Highway/25 Combined. We saw an average of 25 MPG with a mix of 70 percent city and 30 percent highway driving. Ride and handling characteristics is much like the standard Golf and SportWagen. No matter the road surface, the Alltrack’s suspension was able to provide a comfortable ride. Around corners, the Alltrack does show a little bit of body roll. However, it feels as agile as the standard SportWagen and the steering is quick to respond to inputs. The Golf Alltrack begins at $25,850 for the base S with manual transmission. Our loaded SEL tester totaled $35,705 with the Driver Assistance and Light package. That’s a lot of money for a compact off-road wagon, especially considering you can get into a larger Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with the excellent EyeSight active safety system for around the same money. If we were buying a Golf Alltrack, we would drop down to the S with the DSG and order the Driver Assistance package, bring the total price to just over $28,500. The Alltrack is a worthy addition to the Golf family as it provides something a bit more capable while retaining many of the plus points of the standard Golf. We do wish the DSG was smoother during low-speed driving and fuel economy was slightly better.  
      Disclaimer: Volkswagen Provided the Golf Alltrack, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017 
      Make: Volkswagen
      Model: Golf Alltrack
      Trim: SEL
      Engine: Turbocharged 1.8L TSI DOHC Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Six-Speed DSG, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 170 @ 4,500
      Torque @ RPM: 199 @ 1,600
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 22/30/25
      Curb Weight: 3,351 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: N/A
      Base Price: $32,890
      As Tested Price: $35,705 (Includes $820.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      SEL Driver Assistance & Lighting Package - $1,995.00
    • By William Maley
      Ford is expanding their green options to governments with the launch of the Special Service Plug-In Hybrid Sedan. The model will be positioned for those who don't need a pursuit-rated vehicle such as Police and Fire Chiefs, detectives, and other government officials.
      Based on the Fusion Energi, the Special Service Plug-In Hybrid Sedan comes with the 2.0L Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder and a larger 7.6-kWh lithium-ion battery. Ford says the electric range of 21 miles should be enough for most folks to get through a shift without needing a recharge. If the battery does become depleted, the gas engine will kick on to provide a total range of over 500 miles.
      “This is the first Ford police vehicle that can potentially get through an entire shift using no gasoline whatsoever. Anyone can plug this in to any wall outlet to run gas- and emissions-free on battery-only operation,” said Stephen Tyler, Ford police brand marketing manager.
      Recharging is said to take about 7 hours from a conventional 110-volt outlet or 2.5 hours when using a 240-volt charger.
      Ford has fitted a number of features for those wearing a badge. The front seats come upholstered in heavy-duty cloth and feature smaller side bolsters for improved comfort. Anti-stab plates are installed in the backside of the front seats to provide extra protection. Optional equipment includes spot lights, storage vault for the trunk, and a dark-car feature that turns completely turns off all interior lighting for surveillance purposes.
      The order books for the Special Service Plug-In Hybrid Sedan open next month with deliveries beginning next summer.
      Source: Ford

FORD LAUNCHES ITS FIRST PLUG-IN HYBRID VEHICLE FOR POLICE AND GOVERNMENT CUSTOMERS
      New Ford police vehicle debuts offering battery-only electric mode, plus the driving range of a gasoline-electric hybrid New vehicle designed for police and fire chiefs, detectives, and other non-pursuit law enforcement personnel 7.6-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery propels new police Special Service Plug-In Hybrid Sedan up to 21 miles on a charge and up to 85 mph on battery power alone; new offering brings the added flexibility of a full hybrid-electric powertrain with a range surpassing 500 miles DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 20, 2017 – Earlier this year, Ford revealed the world’s first-ever pursuit-rated hybrid police vehicle. Today, the company is giving law enforcement an even more efficient option with the reveal of a plug-in hybrid vehicle capable of driving up to 21 miles without a drop of gas.
      The Special Service Plug-In Hybrid Sedan, the first plug-in hybrid police vehicle from Ford, is designed for police and fire chiefs, detectives, and other government personnel whose jobs don’t require a pursuit-rated vehicle.
      “This is the first Ford police vehicle that can potentially get through an entire shift using no gasoline whatsoever,” said Stephen Tyler, Ford police brand marketing manager. “Anyone can plug this in to any wall outlet to run gas- and emissions-free on battery-only operation.”
      The vehicle’s 3.3-kilowatt onboard charger allows agencies to fully charge the 7.6-kilowatt-hour battery in just 2.5 hours on a 240-volt, level-two charger. But Ford is confident most agencies won’t need anything more than a regular 120-volt wall outlet to recharge. The lithium-ion battery can move the vehicle up to 21 miles on a single charge and up to 85 mph on battery power alone. Once the battery runs down, the vehicle is powered by its gasoline-electric hybrid powerplant – with a range surpassing 500 miles – eliminating any concerns of range anxiety typically associated with battery-only electrics.
      The custom interior features heavy-duty cloth front seats with reduced bolsters, for officer comfort, and rear anti-stab plates, plus vinyl rear seating and flooring. Other highlights include a reinforced top tray for mounting equipment, metal console mounting plate, red and white task lighting in the overhead console, police engine-idle feature, unique alloy wheels and an auxiliary power distribution box in the trunk.
      Several unique options are available for the Special Service Plug-In Hybrid Sedan, including a driver spot lamp, a trunk storage vault, trunk ventilation system, and a rear door control-disabling feature. A special dark-car feature turns off interior lighting and allows the dash cluster to be dimmed 100 percent for surveillance, and several emergency lighting packages like those found on other Ford police vehicles are also available.
      The new Special Service Plug-In Hybrid Sedan joins two other Ford police vehicles revealed this year – Ford Police Responder Hybrid Sedan and F-150 Police Responder. Recently, both successfully completed rigorous testing conducted by Michigan State Police at Grattan Raceway in Belding, Michigan, and Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California.
      Customers will be able to order the Special Service Plug-In Hybrid Sedan in December with sales starting next summer.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Ford is expanding their green options to governments with the launch of the Special Service Plug-In Hybrid Sedan. The model will be positioned for those who don't need a pursuit-rated vehicle such as Police and Fire Chiefs, detectives, and other government officials.
      Based on the Fusion Energi, the Special Service Plug-In Hybrid Sedan comes with the 2.0L Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder and a larger 7.6-kWh lithium-ion battery. Ford says the electric range of 21 miles should be enough for most folks to get through a shift without needing a recharge. If the battery does become depleted, the gas engine will kick on to provide a total range of over 500 miles.
      “This is the first Ford police vehicle that can potentially get through an entire shift using no gasoline whatsoever. Anyone can plug this in to any wall outlet to run gas- and emissions-free on battery-only operation,” said Stephen Tyler, Ford police brand marketing manager.
      Recharging is said to take about 7 hours from a conventional 110-volt outlet or 2.5 hours when using a 240-volt charger.
      Ford has fitted a number of features for those wearing a badge. The front seats come upholstered in heavy-duty cloth and feature smaller side bolsters for improved comfort. Anti-stab plates are installed in the backside of the front seats to provide extra protection. Optional equipment includes spot lights, storage vault for the trunk, and a dark-car feature that turns completely turns off all interior lighting for surveillance purposes.
      The order books for the Special Service Plug-In Hybrid Sedan open next month with deliveries beginning next summer.
      Source: Ford

FORD LAUNCHES ITS FIRST PLUG-IN HYBRID VEHICLE FOR POLICE AND GOVERNMENT CUSTOMERS
      New Ford police vehicle debuts offering battery-only electric mode, plus the driving range of a gasoline-electric hybrid New vehicle designed for police and fire chiefs, detectives, and other non-pursuit law enforcement personnel 7.6-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery propels new police Special Service Plug-In Hybrid Sedan up to 21 miles on a charge and up to 85 mph on battery power alone; new offering brings the added flexibility of a full hybrid-electric powertrain with a range surpassing 500 miles DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 20, 2017 – Earlier this year, Ford revealed the world’s first-ever pursuit-rated hybrid police vehicle. Today, the company is giving law enforcement an even more efficient option with the reveal of a plug-in hybrid vehicle capable of driving up to 21 miles without a drop of gas.
      The Special Service Plug-In Hybrid Sedan, the first plug-in hybrid police vehicle from Ford, is designed for police and fire chiefs, detectives, and other government personnel whose jobs don’t require a pursuit-rated vehicle.
      “This is the first Ford police vehicle that can potentially get through an entire shift using no gasoline whatsoever,” said Stephen Tyler, Ford police brand marketing manager. “Anyone can plug this in to any wall outlet to run gas- and emissions-free on battery-only operation.”
      The vehicle’s 3.3-kilowatt onboard charger allows agencies to fully charge the 7.6-kilowatt-hour battery in just 2.5 hours on a 240-volt, level-two charger. But Ford is confident most agencies won’t need anything more than a regular 120-volt wall outlet to recharge. The lithium-ion battery can move the vehicle up to 21 miles on a single charge and up to 85 mph on battery power alone. Once the battery runs down, the vehicle is powered by its gasoline-electric hybrid powerplant – with a range surpassing 500 miles – eliminating any concerns of range anxiety typically associated with battery-only electrics.
      The custom interior features heavy-duty cloth front seats with reduced bolsters, for officer comfort, and rear anti-stab plates, plus vinyl rear seating and flooring. Other highlights include a reinforced top tray for mounting equipment, metal console mounting plate, red and white task lighting in the overhead console, police engine-idle feature, unique alloy wheels and an auxiliary power distribution box in the trunk.
      Several unique options are available for the Special Service Plug-In Hybrid Sedan, including a driver spot lamp, a trunk storage vault, trunk ventilation system, and a rear door control-disabling feature. A special dark-car feature turns off interior lighting and allows the dash cluster to be dimmed 100 percent for surveillance, and several emergency lighting packages like those found on other Ford police vehicles are also available.
      The new Special Service Plug-In Hybrid Sedan joins two other Ford police vehicles revealed this year – Ford Police Responder Hybrid Sedan and F-150 Police Responder. Recently, both successfully completed rigorous testing conducted by Michigan State Police at Grattan Raceway in Belding, Michigan, and Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California.
      Customers will be able to order the Special Service Plug-In Hybrid Sedan in December with sales starting next summer.
    • By William Maley
      We never thought that we would ever see the day that a semi truck would get as much hype as an upcoming sports car or one of Tesla's new models. But that's the case with Tesla's new semi truck that debut last night.
      The design reminds us of GM's original 'dustbuster' vans with a clean shape and wide glass area. Tesla says the overall drag coefficient of their semi is 0.36, making it more aerodynamic than a Bugatti Chiron. The interior follows the look of the Model 3 with a minimalistic design and large screens providing key information and controls for various functions. The driver is positioned in the middle to provide a commanding view of the road.
      Under the semi's skin, Tesla employs the same chassis design as their passenger vehicles with the batteries sitting low in the chassis to improve the center of gravity. Power comes from four electric motors from the Model 3 for the rear wheels. Tesla isn't saying how much power the motors produce, but went into full detail about performance.
      0-60 mph in 5 seconds when towing an unladen trailer (How many fleet operators care about this? -WM)
      When at its max gross weight of 80,000 pounds, the truck can hit 60 mph in 20 seconds
      Traveling up a 5 percent incline, the Tesla semi can up to 65 mph, 20 mph more than a standard diesel semi
      Maximum range of 500 miles
      Tesla is planning to have a network of "Megachargers," DC charging stations along common routes, and the origin and destination points. The chargers can provide a 400 mile range within 30 minutes.
      For safety, all Tesla Semi trucks will come with an enhanced version of Autopilot, cameras around the vehicle to provide a surround view, a jackknife prevention system that uses sensors to detect instability and adjust the power of each electric motor, lane keep assist, and automatic emergency braking.
      Tesla is also touting the low operating costs of their new semi. Per mile, the Tesla semi is said to cost $1.26, while rival diesel trucks cost $1.56 per mile. This is due to Tesla's semi having less moving parts than a standard semi truck and lower fuel costs. We're wondering how Tesla came to this number.
      Production is expected to begin in 2019 and if you're interested, you can place a $5,000 deposit.
      Time to address the elephants in the room. Tesla hasn't said where they plan on building their new semi truck as Freemont will be at its capacity if the company reaches their passenger car production goals. Then there are production issues with the Model 3 which has caused the automaker to push back their production ramp-up to next year. That's not including Tesla's track record of missing production dates. They're also burning through cash at a very alarming rate to work various issues. We haven't even gotten to talking about the 'Megachargers' which needs to be built out.
      How Tesla plans to achieve these goals remains to be seen.
      Source: Tesla

Tesla Semi

The Tesla Semi will deliver a far better experience for truck drivers, while increasing safety and significantly reducing the cost of cargo transport.
      Unrivaled Performance
      Without a trailer, the Tesla Semi achieves 0-60 mph in five seconds, compared to 15 seconds in a comparable diesel truck. It does 0-60 mph in 20 seconds with a full 80,000-pound load, a task that takes a diesel truck about a minute. Most notably for truck drivers and other travelers on the road, it climbs 5% grades at a steady 65 mph, whereas a diesel truck maxes out at 45 mph on a 5% grade. The Tesla Semi requires no shifting or clutching for smooth acceleration and deceleration, and its regenerative braking recovers 98% of kinetic energy to the battery, giving it a basically infinite brake life. Overall, the Semi is more responsive, covers more miles than a diesel truck in the same amount of time, and more safely integrates with passenger car traffic.
      Driver Experience
      Unlike other trucks, the Semi’s cabin is designed specifically around the driver, featuring unobstructed stairs for easier entry and exit, full standing room inside, and a centered driver position for optimal visibility. Two touchscreen displays positioned symmetrically on both sides of the driver provide easy access to navigation, blind spot monitoring and electronic data logging. Built-in connectivity integrates directly with a fleet’s management system to support routing and scheduling, and remote monitoring. Diesel trucks today currently require several third party devices for similar functionality.
      Megachargers, a new high-speed DC charging solution, will add about 400 miles in 30 minutes and can be installed at origin or destination points and along heavily trafficked routes, enabling recharging during loading, unloading, and driver breaks.
      Safety
      The Tesla Semi’s all-electric architecture is designed to have a higher safety standard than any other heavy-duty truck on the market, with a reinforced battery that shields the Semi from impact and gives it an exceptionally low center of gravity. Its windshield is made of impact resistant glass. Jackknifing is prevented due to the Semi's onboard sensors that detect instability and react with positive or negative torque to each wheel while independently actuating all brakes. The surround cameras aid object detection and minimize blind spots, automatically alerting the driver to safety hazards and obstacles. With Enhanced Autopilot, the Tesla Semi features Automatic Emergency Braking, Automatic Lane Keeping, Lane Departure Warning, and event recording.
      Tesla Semi can also travel in a convoy, where one or several Semi trucks will be able to autonomously follow a lead Semi.
      Reliability
      With far fewer moving parts than a diesel truck – no engine, transmission, after-treatment system or differentials to upkeep – the Tesla Semi requires significantly less maintenance. Its battery is similar in composition to the batteries of Tesla energy products and is designed to support repeated charging cycles for over a million miles, while its motors are derived from the motors used in Model 3 and have been validated to last more than one million miles under the most demanding conditions.
      Lowest Cost of Ownership
      All-in, the Tesla Semi delivers massive savings in energy costs, performance, efficiency and reliability.
      TThe biggest immediate cost-advantage comes from savings in energy costs: fully loaded, the Tesla Semi consumes less than two kilowatt-hours of energy per mile and is capable of 500 miles of range at GVW and highway speed, accommodating a wide range of shipping applications given that nearly 80% of freight in the U.S. is moved less than 250 miles. Coupled with the low and stable nature of electricity prices – which average $0.12/kWh in the U.S. and can be significantly less for commercial and industrial users, falling to almost nothing when combined with local solar generation and storage – owners can expect to gain $200,000 or more in savings over a million miles based on fuel costs alone.
      Reservations for the Tesla Semi can be made for $5,000 USD per truck. Production in 2019.

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook