dfelt

Florida Company building new 1966 Ford 2+2 mustangs with GM V8s.

50 posts in this topic

dfelt    1,778

This company in Florida is building FORD approved Replicas of their 1966 Mustang and are using GM V8 engines. :S

post-12-0-87352000-1465450991_thumb.jpg

WOW, they do offer a smaller FORD engine option, but the default motor is a GM V8. 

http://www.seattleti...-2016-upgrades/

So this begs the question to be asked, Why a GM V8 over Ford's own V8 options.

What do you guys think?

ccap41    1,162

Probably because the executives aren't rabid fanboys and can actually appreciate a custom built car for more than the brand stickered on it. Ford V8's aren't for everybody, GM V8's aren't for everybody either. I assume they can respect that idea. 

oldshurst442    989

I think it phoquing SUCKS!!!

Although GM's LS3 seems like the base engine choice, I think a car of this classic status needs FoMoCo engines all the way through...

Its one thing for a home hot rod builder to LS swap his personal ride. His choice for many reasons. Its another thing when a company wants to produce many examples over a certain time frame for profit.

Yes, yes...Ive said it before, different engineering problems require different engineering solutions and there is more than one way to skin a cat and a GM LS V8 is probably a solution that meets all kinds of objectives...yet, the 5.0 aluminium Coyote is the "premium" engine choice...

This company, should just nix the GM LS engine and just go all Ford...

I feel this way...because CCAP mentiuoned something that makes sense....that the company has engineers and execs that aren't fanatics and crazy about heritage...but...

They chose an iconic pony car to do a restomod...for profit...

They were fanatics enough to understand the relevance of a 1966 Mustang...

So...I don't buy into CCAP's angle...

They probably understand that LS swaps are everywhere so a GM LS engine seems like a safe bet...

Well, to me...that says this company has no passion, just dollar signs...

Singer that does Porsches...seems like a better thought out company...yeah...Id pass on this.

Edited by oldshurst442

ccap41    1,162

..Or they just wanted an engine that made some low end torque..? 

It would be the most fitting for a classic car that isn't a race car. 

Edited by ccap41

oldshurst442    989

Are you telling me a Coyote 5.0 does not make low end torque?

Like I said...a LS3 is a fantastic solution for most endeavors...but a Coyote 5.0 does not take a backseat to an LS3 either...especially when the Coyote is kinda the "premium" engine choice in their stable...

Singer, could go LS3 engine swaps in their restomodded  Porsche 911s also...but they want to cater to heritage folk...which means a smaller piece of the LS swap pie...

And no....a Porsche 911 does NOT have a BIGGER, LOYAL, MORE TRADITIONAL fan base than a Mustang does...at worst, I think both are equal, at BEST, I think Mustang loyalists are far more numerous...

But...if we as fans of the automobile do NOT get OUTRAGED for blasphemous profit oriented endeavours like this, we as fans of the automobile ourselves destroy the heritage of classics...

Remember, I home build hot rodder is NOT in the same vein as this company...

This company got permission and is LICENSED to sell a VERIFIED and PURE Ford Product!!!

Dynacorn bodies are LICENSED products from the manufactures...this company ALSO GOT a license to use the Mustand and BLUE LOGO to sell for PROFIT!!!

oldshurst442    989

Yes Drew...an ecoboosted 2.3 would be mahvelous!

I got caught up with the Porsche angle, but I most definitely thought of ecoboosted engines...hence why I said FoMoCo engines all the way through...

ccap41    1,162

From 1500-3000rpm..no the coyote doesn't have torque in comparison to the 6.2L LS3..

Also, the only thing Ford licensed is the body. Not the car as a whole. The company(Revology) is buying the bodies from a company called Dynacorn which produces licensed bodies for classic Ford and GM products. 

oldshurst442    989

1. Ford licensed the car through and through...Ford themselves say its a true blue Mustang...

You think this is in your favour CCAP?

See my opinion again...while Ford has this car's blessing, I WILL NEVER ACCEPT a car made for profit...not for passion...unlike ffrom a home hot rod builder... with a FORD Logo on it and a Mustang prancing horse on it..with a heart that may say Corvette or CHEVY RACING on the engine covers...

Revology tells me that they are selling me a FORD MUSTANG...backed by...FORD

1. A FORD

2. A MUSTANG

I EXPECT a Ford Product through and through!

Id buy that kind of car from my cousin in Boston who restores cars, not from a legit profit oriented, more than one car production company...

2. A racing version of the 5.0 in a Shelby version is also offered...

Meaning a 5.0 could be tuned to make low-end torque...this company has the resources to make a 5.0 produce low-end torque...

3. I know what Dynacorn industries offers and what they are...I wanna do a 1969 or 1970 Olds 442 Cutlass using their licensed body....because Dynacorn also does GM A-Bodies...also...a Challenger....

Edited by oldshurst442

ccap41    1,162

Where does it say anywhere they Ford is backing the product? They license the body and drive line. I can't find anything on Revology's website that suggests otherwise. 

If you're talking about tuning an engine for more low end tq then in comparison it is lacking.. and therefor you could do it to the 6.2 as well so it's a pretty moot point if we're going to talk about modifying the engines. Also, will Ford warranty the engine once you start customizing tunes for it? 

Drew Dowdell    4,999

And actually... the most likely reason for using the GM V8 is Pushrods.  A GM 6.2 can fit in the space a Ford 5.0 can't because the DOHC 5.0 is so much bigger on the outside. They probably could have used any of the Hemi engines also. 

Pushrods FTW. 

ccap41    1,162

Well the 5.0 is an option so I'm assuming that isn't the real reasoning.. although the decreased weight and simplicity of the pushrod motor could be. This is a car designed for the older fella who might not want something like DOHC just because he/she doesn't know enough about it. 

ccap41    1,162

Where are you guys seeing the options? I didn't see a link beyond the article.

Might have to click a little but under "engine" it has them both listed.

Edit: Actually, after looking at their site under "standard equipment" the 5.0 is listed and not the 6.2. 

http://revologycars.com/65-66-2plus2/

And in their GT350 they only offer the 5.0 Coyote

Edited by ccap41

FordCosworth    128

Well the 5.0 is an option so I'm assuming that isn't the real reasoning.. although the decreased weight and simplicity of the pushrod motor could be. This is a car designed for the older fella who might not want something like DOHC just because he/she doesn't know enough about it. 

The LS3 weights 415ish lbs

Coyote is 435ish lbs ( Ward's states the Voodoo weighs 13lbs less than the Coyote ) 

20lbs difference between the two isn't going to be noticeable.  

Edited by FordCosworth

ccap41    1,162

Coyote is 435ish lbs ( Ward's states the Voodoo weighs 13lbs less than the Coyote ) 

It's more about WHERE the weight is rather than the weight itself. 

First, it's over the nose of the car not the floor pan under the driver's seat.

Second, it's all in the top of the motor rather than the bottom of the motor with the massive heads for the DOHC. 

I realize this isn't a race car but it is a car that is designed to be driven daily. 

• Upvote 1

FordCosworth    128

It's more about WHERE the weight is rather than the weight itself. 

First, it's over the nose of the car not the floor pan under the driver's seat.

Second, it's all in the top of the motor rather than the bottom of the motor with the massive heads for the DOHC. 

I realize this isn't a race car but it is a car that is designed to be driven daily. 

Yes, this car is designed as a DD. Do you really think 20lbs is going to affect its abilities?

And in either engine option, both the LS3 and Coyote weigh less than either the 260/289ci Windsor that this car would have come with.

ccap41    1,162

20lbs is 20lbs.. I don't have any scientific data to prove one way or the other but the lower weight, lower center of gravity, and more low end tq of the 6.2 sound like a better overall combination. The only thing I like more about the 5.0 is the sound. The DOHC Ford V8s sense the modular motors have always had more of a "nasty" sound to me that I just love. 

FordCosworth    128

FYI...

The LS3 is a longer engine. It may weigh less, but more weight will be hanging over the front axle line. 

LS3
----
Displacement: 6.2 L
Dimensions: 27.5" H X 27.5" D X 30" W

Coyote
-------
Displacement: 5.0 L
Dimensions: 27" H X 26" D X 28" W

surreal1272    677

It's like some people don't understand weight dispersement, layout, and distribution in relation to their dimensions.

Guess that's what happens when you have to keep coming up with excuses for why one motor was preferred over the other.

• Downvote 1

FordCosworth    128

It's like some people don't understand weight dispersement, layout, and distribution in relation to their dimensions.

Guess that's what happens when you have to keep coming up with excuses for why one motor was preferred over the other.

Who's making excuses? With either engine being an option, its personal preference.

Edited by FordCosworth

surreal1272    677

Who's making excuses? With either engine being an option, its personal preference.

Funny how you seem to think that it was just about you. I know they are both options. Thanks for the vote though.

ccap41    1,162

FYI...

The LS3 is a longer engine. It may weigh less, but more weight will be hanging over the front axle line. 

LS3
----
Displacement: 6.2 L
Dimensions: 27.5" H X 27.5" D X 30" W

Coyote
-------
Displacement: 5.0 L
Dimensions: 27" H X 26" D X 28" W

I'm not getting into an argument over which engine is "best" because that's a relative situation. Both have their ups and both have their downs. There is no "best" engine unless given a specific requirement. 

I just think for a daily driver on a classic muscle car the way the power is put to the wheels of the LS3 it makes more sense. That's just my opinion. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      With only 500 Ford GTs being built for its production, each one will be considered as a rare and special vehicle. But there will always be those who want something a bit more special. Ford has just the GT for you in the form of the 2018 GT '67 Heritage Edition.
      Paying homage to the 1967 Le Mans victory by the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt, the '67 Heritage Edition is finished in the same red paint and white stripes, as well as the same no.1 that the winning GT40 wore. Other exterior items to take note of are the exposed carbon fiber package, 20-inch forged aluminum wheels, red brake calipers, and silver mirror caps. The interior comes with red accent stitching, anodized gray paddle shifters, exposed carbon fiber trim, and a serialized identification plaque.
      “In creating a worthy successor to the 2017 Heritage edition, we logically looked at our next historic Le Mans victory with the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt. The 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition pays homage to that win, with a modern take on one of the most important vehicles in Ford’s storied history of racing,” said Dave Pericak, global director of Ford Performance.
      Ford says they will build a limited amount of the GT ’67 Heritage Edition.
      Source: Ford
      Press Release is on Page 2

FORD PERFORMANCE TO OFFER TRIBUTE LIVERY OF HISTORIC 1967 LE MANS WINNER WITH 2018 FORD GT '67 HERITAGE EDITION
      Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition with unique red-and-white-stripe livery celebrates 1967 Le Mans-winning GT40 Mark IV race car driven by all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt   Ford GT ‘67 Heritage edition honoring historic No. 1 race car introduced for 2018 model year Limited-edition Ford GT features exclusive race-number graphics, plus unique interior colors, materials and appointments DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 15, 2017 – The 2018 Ford GT will be available in a new limited-edition Heritage theme honoring the GT40 Mark IV race car driven to victory by the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt at Le Mans in 1967. The car will feature unique interior and exterior color themes, and an exclusive wheel finish.
      “In creating a worthy successor to the 2017 Heritage edition, we logically looked at our next historic Le Mans victory with the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt,” said Dave Pericak, global director Ford Performance. “The 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition pays homage to that win, with a modern take on one of the most important vehicles in Ford’s storied history of racing.”
      The Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition features a gloss-finish Race Red exterior with white stripes and exposed carbon package. The car sports Frozen White No. 1 hood and door graphics, and 20-inch one-piece forged aluminum wheels in silver satin clearcoat with black lug nuts. Red calipers and silver rearview mirror caps complete the look.
      The interior begins with new leather trimming for the carbon fiber seats, with red accent stitching, which carries over to the steering wheel. The seat belt webbing is now red and the paddle shifters are anodized gray. Satin dark stainless appliqués are used on the instrument panel, door register bezels and x-brace.
      Rounding out modifications to the ’67 Heritage edition car are a unique serialized identification plate, plus exposed matte carbon fiber door sills, air register pods and center console.
      “The first Heritage edition car was a huge success, honoring our history with a modern interpretation of the Le Mans winner,” said Garen Nicoghosian, exterior design manager for the car. “Continuing with a 2018 Ford GT based on the winning GT40 Mark IV race car was simply something we needed to do.”
      The Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition can be viewed at FordGT.com using the configuration tool. Limited quantities will be available for the 2018 model year.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      With only 500 Ford GTs being built for its production, each one will be considered as a rare and special vehicle. But there will always be those who want something a bit more special. Ford has just the GT for you in the form of the 2018 GT '67 Heritage Edition.
      Paying homage to the 1967 Le Mans victory by the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt, the '67 Heritage Edition is finished in the same red paint and white stripes, as well as the same no.1 that the winning GT40 wore. Other exterior items to take note of are the exposed carbon fiber package, 20-inch forged aluminum wheels, red brake calipers, and silver mirror caps. The interior comes with red accent stitching, anodized gray paddle shifters, exposed carbon fiber trim, and a serialized identification plaque.
      “In creating a worthy successor to the 2017 Heritage edition, we logically looked at our next historic Le Mans victory with the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt. The 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition pays homage to that win, with a modern take on one of the most important vehicles in Ford’s storied history of racing,” said Dave Pericak, global director of Ford Performance.
      Ford says they will build a limited amount of the GT ’67 Heritage Edition.
      Source: Ford
      Press Release is on Page 2

FORD PERFORMANCE TO OFFER TRIBUTE LIVERY OF HISTORIC 1967 LE MANS WINNER WITH 2018 FORD GT '67 HERITAGE EDITION
      Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition with unique red-and-white-stripe livery celebrates 1967 Le Mans-winning GT40 Mark IV race car driven by all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt   Ford GT ‘67 Heritage edition honoring historic No. 1 race car introduced for 2018 model year Limited-edition Ford GT features exclusive race-number graphics, plus unique interior colors, materials and appointments DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 15, 2017 – The 2018 Ford GT will be available in a new limited-edition Heritage theme honoring the GT40 Mark IV race car driven to victory by the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt at Le Mans in 1967. The car will feature unique interior and exterior color themes, and an exclusive wheel finish.
      “In creating a worthy successor to the 2017 Heritage edition, we logically looked at our next historic Le Mans victory with the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt,” said Dave Pericak, global director Ford Performance. “The 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition pays homage to that win, with a modern take on one of the most important vehicles in Ford’s storied history of racing.”
      The Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition features a gloss-finish Race Red exterior with white stripes and exposed carbon package. The car sports Frozen White No. 1 hood and door graphics, and 20-inch one-piece forged aluminum wheels in silver satin clearcoat with black lug nuts. Red calipers and silver rearview mirror caps complete the look.
      The interior begins with new leather trimming for the carbon fiber seats, with red accent stitching, which carries over to the steering wheel. The seat belt webbing is now red and the paddle shifters are anodized gray. Satin dark stainless appliqués are used on the instrument panel, door register bezels and x-brace.
      Rounding out modifications to the ’67 Heritage edition car are a unique serialized identification plate, plus exposed matte carbon fiber door sills, air register pods and center console.
      “The first Heritage edition car was a huge success, honoring our history with a modern interpretation of the Le Mans winner,” said Garen Nicoghosian, exterior design manager for the car. “Continuing with a 2018 Ford GT based on the winning GT40 Mark IV race car was simply something we needed to do.”
      The Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition can be viewed at FordGT.com using the configuration tool. Limited quantities will be available for the 2018 model year.
    • By William Maley
      General Motors isn't the only one considering putting vehicles on the chopping block. The Detroit News has learned from three sources that Ford is considering ending production on three models for the U.S. - the Fiesta, C-Max Hybrid, and Taurus. Sources say the Taurus would be first to go in late 2018. The Fiesta would follow suit either in late 2018 or 2019. The C-Max would be the last model to end production in early 2019.
      Ford said they would make an announcement concerning the C-Max at a later date. The company declined to comment on the other vehicles.
      The Taurus has been long rumored to be cut from Ford's lineup due to poor sales. This was further bolstered by the company unveiling a new Taurus for China, but not for the U.S. back in 2016.
      Rumors about the Fiesta leaving the U.S. lineup began last year when CarScoops learned from a source that the next-generation Fiesta would not come to the U.S. due to there not being "enough demand to justify the costs." Earlier this week, Romanian site 0-100 spoke with Fiesta program manager Robert Stiller who said this,
      "The previous model was a global Ford product, and with the new generation we are targeting only Europe, the Middle East and Africa,” said Stiller.
      “In North America, especially in the US, China and Latin America, the demand for such cars is declining, and we are reacting accordingly.”
      Source: Detroit News, CarScoops, 0-100.ro

View full article
    • By William Maley
      General Motors isn't the only one considering putting vehicles on the chopping block. The Detroit News has learned from three sources that Ford is considering ending production on three models for the U.S. - the Fiesta, C-Max Hybrid, and Taurus. Sources say the Taurus would be first to go in late 2018. The Fiesta would follow suit either in late 2018 or 2019. The C-Max would be the last model to end production in early 2019.
      Ford said they would make an announcement concerning the C-Max at a later date. The company declined to comment on the other vehicles.
      The Taurus has been long rumored to be cut from Ford's lineup due to poor sales. This was further bolstered by the company unveiling a new Taurus for China, but not for the U.S. back in 2016.
      Rumors about the Fiesta leaving the U.S. lineup began last year when CarScoops learned from a source that the next-generation Fiesta would not come to the U.S. due to there not being "enough demand to justify the costs." Earlier this week, Romanian site 0-100 spoke with Fiesta program manager Robert Stiller who said this,
      "The previous model was a global Ford product, and with the new generation we are targeting only Europe, the Middle East and Africa,” said Stiller.
      “In North America, especially in the US, China and Latin America, the demand for such cars is declining, and we are reacting accordingly.”
      Source: Detroit News, CarScoops, 0-100.ro
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)