Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

So Let me Get this Straight.. LAPD, with Taxpayer Money, Chose BMW i3 over U.S. Built Volt and Cmax?

The Los Angeles Police Department now has 100 BMW i3s on the streets in the City of Angels.

The police department began field tests in September 2015. The i3 was tested alongside other EVs but the LAPD ultimately accepted BMW’s bid.

The Los Angeles Times reported that the LAPD also tested a Tesla Model S P90D, the vehicle’s top-end performance variant. 

The i3s will be leased for three years for $387 per month each, a BMW spokesman said.

AR-160609848.jpg

I think a lot of ignorant people(tax payers) just see that they bought small electric cars. They're too stupid to think, "those should be Ford or GM made, not Germany's BMW." 

Also, that's fckn outrageous to pay for...because:

I just went to Chevy's site and a "bone stock" Volt's lease is $310, 36 month, 15,000miles/year. which those all electric bastards probably won't be able to touch 15,000 miles in a year when they're charging the whole time. 

Throw in an order of 100 Volts and I would have to believe they could bring that below $300/month.  That right there would save the tax payers $8,700/month X 36 months = $313,200. 

STUPID. 

Also, why are they paying so damn much when there are lease options on BMW's site for way less? And/Or they mention nothing of mileage on BMW's site.. 

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmw/special-offers

Yes and for a far cheaper cost they could have had VOLTS. THis is just more of the same BS Stupidity of the politicians. Here in washington state, the WSP (Washington State Patrol) said they were up against a deadline and so got an exemption from going out for competitive bid and spent millions buying BMW motorcycles for their patrol men who are only on the highways and in a state where most of the time with rain makes no sense to have a motorcycle. As it is, they replaced bikes that were fine and still had years left in service and most of these bikes sat due to weather.

This stinks of stupid deal making and no allot of common sense. Just trying to say they are greener. Also, why $387 when you can lease them 3 years here in washington with the same full service for $199. Seems the idiots got taken to the cleaners.

• Agree 1

Yes and for a far cheaper cost they could have had VOLTS. THis is just more of the same BS Stupidity of the politicians. Here in washington state, the WSP (Washington State Patrol) said they were up against a deadline and so got an exemption from going out for competitive bid and spent millions buying BMW motorcycles for their patrol men who are only on the highways and in a state where most of the time with rain makes no sense to have a motorcycle. As it is, they replaced bikes that were fine and still had years left in service and most of these bikes sat due to weather.

This stinks of stupid deal making and no allot of common sense. Just trying to say they are greener. Also, why $387 when you can lease them 3 years here in washington with the same full service for $199. Seems the idiots got taken to the cleaners.

I assume the LAPD will be putting a lot more miles on them than allowed for $199 a month. 

• Agree 1

I assume the LAPD will be putting a lot more miles on them than allowed for $199 a month. 

Gonna be interesting to see how they chase the bag guys with the limited range. I figure they will bring in the petro powered to take over.

Gonna be interesting to see how they chase the bag guys with the limited range. I figure they will bring in the petro powered to take over.

These aren't going to be for chases.

The i3s will be part of LAPD's non-emergency vehicle fleet, meaning they'll be used for "transportation vehicles for officers and in community outreach initiatives," according to BMW in a press release. I'm betting the i3 is slightly more practical than a Volt.

Also, I don't think LAPD is being taken to the cleaners. Buying a group of vehicles for a fleet is a much different and expensive than you or I going into a dealership. I doubt that someone is offering $199 lease to fleet customers. 

The i3s will be part of LAPD's non-emergency vehicle fleet, meaning they'll be used for "transportation vehicles for officers and in community outreach initiatives," according to BMW in a press release. I'm betting the i3 is slightly more practical than a Volt.

Also, I don't think LAPD is being taken to the cleaners. Buying a group of vehicles for a fleet is a much different and expensive than you or I going into a dealership. I doubt that someone is offering $199 lease to fleet customers. 

But as I posted here, other states have negotiated deals with the auto companies including GM so WSP here is getting Volts Dirt cheap and supporting an american company over a german one.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/topic/86754-ev-group-buying-is-it-the-right-thing-to-do-from-a-state-federal-level/

I realize that this is a $13,932 cost per i3 for 3 years compared to the $33,859 purchase price before rebate on the VOLT, but still I see the VOLT as a far better option for the purpose you have stated than the i3.

I have driven the i3, they are torquey and have good jump off the line, for city driving they are plenty quick. Because of the squared shape and no ICE they have a lot of room in them too.

Compared to a Volt the i3 has more electric range and more cargo space. The Bolt isntt on sale yet. A better comparison might be the Leaf or Kia Soul EV, since they are pure EV with a hatch back.

Maybe after testing they determined the i3 the best electric car.

I think a lot of police departments spend more than they need to on police cars. I see tons of Explorer police cars, those have to be $40k easily, when an Escape for $28k would do the same thing.

Totally agree with you smk, I see so many wasted auto's in comparison to what the police really use it for plus the waste of gas by letting the officers drive them home and back. Must be nice to be able to not have to drive your own auto and let the commute come out of the tax payers pockets.

I have driven the i3, they are torquey and have good jump off the line, for city driving they are plenty quick. Because of the squared shape and no ICE they have a lot of room in them too.

Compared to a Volt the i3 has more electric range and more cargo space. The Bolt isntt on sale yet. A better comparison might be the Leaf or Kia Soul EV, since they are pure EV with a hatch back.

The volt has the advantage of running on gas when the juice runs out though, unlike the electric only i3.

• Agree 1

I think a lot of police departments spend more than they need to on police cars. I see tons of Explorer police cars, those have to be $40k easily, when an Escape for $28k would do the same thing.

So they are fine for them picking the i3 because it has more room than a Volt but can't see why they'd pick an Explorer over an Escape?

I'm just going to let you think about the fallacy of your argument before commenting further.

One last thing. The fleet Explorers are nowhere close to $40K. They start at $31K.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/edms/price-lists/?group=PriceList

Edited by surreal1272

Community Outreach? That can be done on bicycles!!l

Unlike an EV you have unlimited range....and these are for primarily city use, will be beaten up.

So plenty of CF body repairs that will be expensive too.

If they wanted community outreach, they should've picked an American Hybrid sedan or Volt for far less. And if they need space, get the goddamn Pacifica Minivan Hybrid. Sure it might cost a fair bit more, but you get the utility you want too.  

The i3's back seat is as spacious as at back seat of a sports sedan, its only virtue being some decent headroom. 

The volt has the advantage of running on gas when the juice runs out though, unlike the electric only i3.

And if they bought a Ford Focus hatchback Police package (if one existed) they could run it on gas, it would cost under $25,000 and have more cargo and passenger volume than a Volt.  I think the LA PD wanted pure electric, the Volt is still a gas powered car.

If we are going to call the i3 a waste of money, I am all for that.  Look at most European police cars, they have Opel/Vauxhall Astra hatchbacks, Puegot Hatchback, Ford Mondoe (Fusion) sedans, and they function just fine.  

The only reason the police departments have Taurus, Explorer, V8 Chargers, and Caprice to a lesser degree, is the car makers only want to make police cars out of larger higher margin vehicles, and the police companies are using tax payer money so they don't care what it costs.   Plus if you took away fleet sales, these large sedans like Taurus, Charger, etc would really be in the dump, because the retail market is drying up fast for large sedans.

So they are fine for them picking the i3 because it has more room than a Volt but can't see why they'd pick an Explorer over an Escape?

I'm just going to let you think about the fallacy of your argument before commenting further.

One last thing. The fleet Explorers are nowhere close to $40K. They start at $31K.

The Volt doesn't have much space at all.  An Escape would have as much room in it as an i3, thus enough room for a police vehicle.   I don't think they need more room than what an Escape offers.

The Police interceptor Explorer might start at $31k but they are all tacking options on, the ecoboost motor alone is $3,100 if they add that.  Maybe they are $35k average, but an Escape would be $10k less probably.

And if they bought a Ford Focus hatchback Police package (if one existed) they could run it on gas, it would cost under $25,000 and have more cargo and passenger volume than a Volt.  I think the LA PD wanted pure electric, the Volt is still a gas powered car.

If we are going to call the i3 a waste of money, I am all for that.  Look at most European police cars, they have Opel/Vauxhall Astra hatchbacks, Puegot Hatchback, Ford Mondoe (Fusion) sedans, and they function just fine.  

The only reason the police departments have Taurus, Explorer, V8 Chargers, and Caprice to a lesser degree, is the car makers only want to make police cars out of larger higher margin vehicles, and the police companies are using tax payer money so they don't care what it costs.   Plus if you took away fleet sales, these large sedans like Taurus, Charger, etc would really be in the dump, because the retail market is drying up fast for large sedans.

Again, so many wrongs with your post. All of those cars are used for obvious reasons, that you completely sidestep here. They are large passenger vehicles. DUH!

BTW, fleet sales have jack$h! to do with the conversation at hand. Besides, that same logic could be applied to a certain Mercedes van, which is very fleet sale dependent. 

The Volt doesn't have much space at all.  An Escape would have as much room in it as an i3, thus enough room for a police vehicle.   I don't think they need more room than what an Escape offers.

The Police interceptor Explorer might start at $31k but they are all tacking options on, the ecoboost motor alone is $3,100 if they add that.  Maybe they are $35k average, but an Escape would be $10k less probably.

Did you actually click on the link? Obviously not or else you would have SEEN that the Escape is only $4K cheaper than the much larger Explorer. Let me break it down for you, since you clearly did not do your homework here.

Ford Escape 

Good grief man. Check your damn facts next time before replying. Again, the purpose for choosing the Explorer over the Escape is obvious. They are LARGER, which means it can haul more gear. Again, DUH!

I would down vote your post ten times if I could. 

Edited by surreal1272

Compared to an Escape the Explorer has more range and more cargo space.

• Agree 1

Compared to an Escape the Explorer has more range and more cargo space.

Exactly. He can't get the math right on it either.

One last thing. The fleet Explorers are nowhere close to $40K. They start at $31K.http://www.fleet.ford.com/edms/price-lists/?group=PriceList

Did you actually click on the link? Obviously not or else you would have SEEN that the Escape is only $4K cheaper than the much larger Explorer. Let me break it down for you, since you clearly did not do your homework here.

Ford Escape 

2016MY Escape PL640 Price List.pdf 05/02/2016 27k

2017MY Escape PL725 Price List.pdf 04/14/2016 25k

2015MY Escape PL525 Price List.pdf 12/01/2014 29k

Ford Explorer

2016MY Explorer PL650 Price list.pdf 05/03/2016 31k

2017MY Explorer PL725 Price List.pdf 04/29/2016 30k 

2015MY Explorer PL525 Price list.pdf 10/01/2014 33k

Good grief man. Check your damn facts next time before replying. Again, the purpose for choosing the Explorer over the Escape is obvious. They are LARGER, which means it can haul more gear. Again, DUH!

I would down vote your post ten times if I could.

But they aren't buying an Explorer they are buying a Police Interceptor Utility according to the Ford price list. Which is $31k base before light bars, cages in back, ecoboost at $3100, etc.

Considering the Escape is 2 classes below Explorer there has to be at least a $5k difference in price, and I did read the Police Utility price list. Plus the Escape would use less gas.

So they are fine for them picking the i3 because it has more room than a Volt but can't see why they'd pick an Explorer over an Escape?I'm just going to let you think about the fallacy of your argument before commenting further.One last thing. The fleet Explorers are nowhere close to $40K. They start at $31K.http://www.fleet.ford.com/edms/price-lists/?group=PriceList
The Volt doesn't have much space at all. An Escape would have as much room in it as an i3, thus enough room for a police vehicle. I don't think they need more room than what an Escape offers. The Police interceptor Explorer might start at $31k but they are all tacking options on, the ecoboost motor alone is $3,100 if they add that. Maybe they are $35k average, but an Escape would be $10k less probably.
Did you actually click on the link? Obviously not or else you would have SEEN that the Escape is only $4K cheaper than the much larger Explorer. Let me break it down for you, since you clearly did not do your homework here.Ford Escape 2016MY Escape PL640 Price List.pdf 05/02/2016 27k 2017MY Escape PL725 Price List.pdf 04/14/2016 25k 2015MY Escape PL525 Price List.pdf 12/01/2014 29k Ford Explorer2016MY Explorer PL650 Price list.pdf 05/03/2016 31k 2017MY Explorer PL725 Price List.pdf 04/29/2016 30k 2015MY Explorer PL525 Price list.pdf 10/01/2014 33k Good grief man. Check your damn facts next time before replying. Again, the purpose for choosing the Explorer over the Escape is obvious. They are LARGER, which means it can haul more gear. Again, DUH! I would down vote your post ten times if I could.
But they aren't buying an Explorer they are buying a Police Interceptor Utility according to the Ford price list. Which is $31k base before light bars, cages in back, ecoboost at $3100, etc. Considering the Escape is 2 classes below Explorer there has to be at least a $5k difference in price, and I did read the Police Utility price list. Plus the Escape would use less gas.
BS. You don't get to move the damn bar here. You first said there was a $10K price difference, which clearly there was not and then you willfully ignore the number one reason for choosing the Explorer in the first place, SIZE. Much like your explanation why they chose the i3, the same is applied here (best choice for the job required) so why you want to ignore that simple little fact is beyond me.

Btw, all that packaging you mention would apply to the Escape as well. Again, only a $4K difference, not $10K. You just need to admit to your error and your ignorance on this one SMK.

Edited by surreal1272

But then figure in the longer range with the explorer and the larger size does that 5K price difference still save on achieving what they think they need?

I do not know but just asking the question. Clearly the smaller auto can save money and at least to me save the department funds as I am sure it will service the police just fine, but then they all have their own agenda for getting the most toys for tax payer supplied dollars. After all who are they to actually be fiscally responsible since they are not footing the bill.

But then figure in the longer range with the explorer and the larger size does that 5K price difference still save on achieving what they think they need?

I do not know but just asking the question. Clearly the smaller auto can save money and at least to me save the department funds as I am sure it will service the police just fine, but then they all have their own agenda for getting the most toys for tax payer supplied dollars. After all who are they to actually be fiscally responsible since they are not footing the bill.

Let me ask you some thing dfelt. What do you think they should use?

I'm just not simply seeing the point.

LA has much bigger problems at this point...

I agree, which only makes this more confusing. 

I would wager to believe some way or another that employment and/or money is a problem and you'd save a lot buying/leasing a smaller American made car than this tiny i3. 

• Agree 1

I am not dfelt but I'll throw my opinion out there for $h!s.

If the options aren't limited to vehicles already with police packages I think the cars should be a class smaller than the Charger/Taurus/Impala and be more like the Fusion/Malibu size and there would be savings in fuel which I think should not be overlooked with how much those engines are running. 1mpg improvement goes a long way w/ a fleet of vehicles. 

I also think the Explorer, for the most part, is larger than most actually need. Granted, I don't know all of the equipment that gets stuffed in them but it's hard to believe that they use the extra cargo space over an Edge and obviously they never use the 3rd row of seats. So I would go with vehicles in the Grand Cherokee/Edge/Equinox(I know it competes with a different class but it's kind of a tweener and large for its class). Oh and the new Acadia that's also a larger 2 row CUV. 

I think there should be plenty of additional space in those CUVs over the cars for whatever additional space is required from a larger vehicle in the first place yet they should save some in fuel costs. Oh, and obviously all American made. Same goes for the cars I listed. They aren't the small, tiny economy cars that some want. I don't feel like that is realistic yet the mid-size class is loaded w/ technology in the driveline and car itself to be fuel efficient and give the "at the limit" capability that law enforcement needs. The larger cars are just boaty in comparison to the modern mid-size sedans. 

• Agree 1

If the options aren't limited to vehicles already with police packages I think the cars should be a class smaller than the Charger/Taurus/Impala and be more like the Fusion/Malibu size and there would be savings in fuel which I think should not be overlooked with how much those engines are running. 1mpg improvement goes a long way w/ a fleet of vehicles. 

I also think the Explorer, for the most part, is larger than most actually need. Granted, I don't know all of the equipment that gets stuffed in them but it's hard to believe that they use the extra cargo space over an Edge and obviously they never use the 3rd row of seats. So I would go with vehicles in the Grand Cherokee/Edge/Equinox(I know it competes with a different class but it's kind of a tweener and large for its class). Oh and the new Acadia that's also a larger 2 row CUV. 

I think there should be plenty of additional space in those CUVs over the cars for whatever additional space is required from a larger vehicle in the first place yet they should save some in fuel costs. Oh, and obviously all American made. Same goes for the cars I listed. They aren't the small, tiny economy cars that some want. I don't feel like that is realistic yet the mid-size class is loaded w/ technology in the driveline and car itself to be fuel efficient and give the "at the limit" capability that law enforcement needs. The larger cars are just boaty in comparison to the modern mid-size sedans.

Good reasoning there. Thanks ccap. Now, do you know why they prefer larger vehicles as opposed the ones you mentioned?

• Agree 1

Simple, having uncles and Aunts in local police forces here in washington I have had this chat with them many times and they all admit that they can easily us much smaller 4 door sedans than the huge purchase of police interceptor versions of SUV's, they only need a few motorcycles and should have at least 2 police interceptor models of high performance cars, could be mustangs or camaros. For bringing the equipment to a crash scene, there are many options for the vans or full size SUV to use. Usually a commercial van is best.

With that said, as long as the state, county and cities give a wide open choice they are trying to give every officer on the force the same fully loaded SUVs. There is allot of waste in government and we all know it as many jobs can be done with much less auto or no auto. 

The problem is one department sees what another buys and wants the same toy. Perfect example is the Home Land Security office here in Seattle. The whole force is nothing but GM Tahoe police versions. Does HLS really need to have a full fleet of petro drinking SUVS when they spend the bulk of their time in cites? 

I bet most of the tax payers would be shocked at how much waste is spent on auto's and allowing the gov employee to drive said auto's home driving up the amount of fuel used by giving a perc to these workers that private workers do not have. Why should the cops, fire department, City Employee get to drive a taxpayer auto home every day putting on needless miles and gas costs when they could use mass transit or should be driving their own auto to work.

• Agree 1

I would wager to believe some way or another that employment and/or money is a problem and you'd save a lot buying/leasing a smaller American made car than this tiny i3. 

Yes, LA has stated they will save on the fuel cost and help go greener, yet do they really need these auto's for the use they think they will apply them to. I am willing to bet they could find alternatives that would be better than this and some of it could be as simple as putting meter maids or Men on bicycles, having them walk, etc.

Simple, having uncles and Aunts in local police forces here in washington I have had this chat with them many times and they all admit that they can easily us much smaller 4 door sedans than the huge purchase of police interceptor versions of SUV's, they only need a few motorcycles and should have at least 2 police interceptor models of high performance cars, could be mustangs or camaros. For bringing the equipment to a crash scene, there are many options for the vans or full size SUV to use. Usually a commercial van is best.

With that said, as long as the state, county and cities give a wide open choice they are trying to give every officer on the force the same fully loaded SUVs. There is allot of waste in government and we all know it as many jobs can be done with much less auto or no auto. 

The problem is one department sees what another buys and wants the same toy. Perfect example is the Home Land Security office here in Seattle. The whole force is nothing but GM Tahoe police versions. Does HLS really need to have a full fleet of petro drinking SUVS when they spend the bulk of their time in cites? 

I bet most of the tax payers would be shocked at how much waste is spent on auto's and allowing the gov employee to drive said auto's home driving up the amount of fuel used by giving a perc to these workers that private workers do not have. Why should the cops, fire department, City Employee get to drive a taxpayer auto home every day putting on needless miles and gas costs when they could use mass transit or should be driving their own auto to work.

Very good explanation and I can see the logic there. However, I have law enforcement in my family here in Arizona and they say that the larger vehicles are indespensible (for example, the sheer number of unmaintained dirt roads here demand a real SUV). The cops here hate the smaller sedans they are forced to use now. Most would love to have the Crown Vics in service again.

Seems to me like the use of certain vehicles depends on where you live.

Good reasoning there. Thanks ccap. Now, do you know why they prefer larger vehicles as opposed the ones you mentioned?

I do not. Just assuming it is for extra carrying capacity with all the miscellaneous stuff they might need at any given point.

Edited by ccap41

Yes, LA has stated they will save on the fuel cost and help go greener, yet do they really need these auto's for the use they think they will apply them to. I am willing to bet they could find alternatives that would be better than this and some of it could be as simple as putting meter maids or Men on bicycles, having them walk, etc.

Of course they will save on fuel cost if they eliminate the fuel being used for the smaller cars but how about a ridiculous payment on said small car that could be reduced by buying Volts? 

Stupid politicians. They just know how to word things to make people think what they did was right. 

The only real question I have is why in the world would a police force actually need a Mustang or Camaro? If there is a high speed chase going on you don't get to decide which car flipped their lights on first and is in pursuit. In the unlikely scenario of the chase lasting a half hour then the Mustang/Camaro could catch up to the chase but that's a stretch.. 

The bottom 3 paragraphs I completely agree with. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Agree 1

I do not. Just assuming it is for extra carrying capacity with all the miscellaneous stuff they might need at any given point.

That is exactly the reason. When they retired the Crown Vic and went to the Impala, cops here were not happy. Space was the number one reason for that (as well as preferring the RWD over FWD). They have the same gripe with the Tauruses that most use now.

Very good explanation and I can see the logic there. However, I have law enforcement in my family here in Arizona and they say that the larger vehicles are indespensible (for example, the sheer number of unmaintained dirt roads here demand a real SUV). The cops here hate the smaller sedans they are forced to use now. Most would love to have the Crown Vics in service again.

But why do they hate the smaller vehicles? "just because" or are they worse for the job. Because just because somebody doesn't enjoy the smaller vehicle that doesn't make it worse for the job. It could just be that the driver wants to feel on top of the road. 

As much as it pains me to be the devils advocate here, there are very good reasons why cops get to take their service cars home. This was an interesting read regarding that very thing.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/news/story/2010/dec/29/most-police-officers-opt-not-to-pay-to-have-take/37997/

And an even better explanation for this.

http://www.myreporter.com/2010/06/why-are-police-allowed-to-drive-the-police-cars-home-when-they-live-in-another-county/

But why do they hate the smaller vehicles? "just because" or are they worse for the job. Because just because somebody doesn't enjoy the smaller vehicle that doesn't make it worse for the job. It could just be that the driver wants to feel on top of the road.

Read what I have said multiple times here. It's mostly about space for people and gear. It's not that hard to see the advantages of such things.

Biggest thing was "community outreach" and other "police duties"

Presumably I guess that means having to get dirty and go in neighbourhoods that Police don't like to frequent. 

Which means showing up in Bimmers is not only lacking humility one would expect for officers/police to build rapport in those said communities and neighbourhoods - but the fact that it was a pudgy BMW makes them reek of sellout. 

Totally unpatriotic. Totally wasteful. Get some Brammo electric bikes. Or buy some made in USA bicycles. Or get a goddamn Cadillac ELR on clearance, if you really want splurge but be American and green, and have some class.

BS. You don't get to move the damn bar here. You first said there was a $10K price difference, which clearly there was not and then you willfully ignore the number one reason for choosing the Explorer in the first place, SIZE. Much like your explanation why they chose the i3, the same is applied here (best choice for the job required) so why you want to ignore that simple little fact is beyond me.

Btw, all that packaging you mention would apply to the Escape as well. Again, only a $4K difference, not $10K. You just need to admit to your error and your ignorance on this one SMK.

Ok, I will admit there isn't a $10k difference in the fleet prices.  I just assumed an Escape and Explorer would be about $10k difference in price.  Using the fleet prices, the Police Utility is $31,175 and the Ford Escape is $23,590 for a $7,585 difference.  Even if you wanted to spend an extra $1500 for the Escape SE with an Ecoboost it is still a $6,000 spread.  You could sub in a Transit Connect if you needed more cargo space, and those are also under $25k.

All I said was the i3 had more room than a Volt.  And I think the i3 has enough room for police use, thus an Escape would also.

I think the Fusion hybrid would be a good option for city police that would do a lot of idling, or low speed and city driving, they would benefit from the Hybrid's city mpg.  A regal 4-cylinder Fusion, like a 2.0T would be find for every day type Police work.  An Escape or Transit Connect could be used if they need more space, those have turbo 4 options.  Chevy Equinox is a decent sized vehicle that gets over 30 mpg highway.   The Malibu and Malibu hybrid could be used in the same way as I said about the Fusion.  

They don't need a V8 Hemi Charger, it is just wasteful on gas, and it isn't really going to let them respond to a crime faster because you are still limited by other traffic on the road, pedestrians, etc, and if you are running red lights you don't really worry about acceleration time since you aren't slowing down that much.  

And as the point was made earlier, if a high speed chase breaks out, it isn't like they pick what car they use, so unless every car on the squad is a Hemi V8 charger, that doesn't matter.  And you use radios, On-Star engine shut down, the other Sat-Nav based car over ride technology, etc to stop a car, roadblocks etc.  Plus a fast car can outrun a Charger Hemi police car anyway, my car could out run one easily and there are faster cars than mine out there.

I think the Fusion hybrid would be a good option for city police that would do a lot of idling, or low speed and city driving, they would benefit from the Hybrid's city mpg. A regal 4-cylinder Fusion, like a 2.0T would be find for every day type Police work. An Escape or Transit Connect could be used if they need more space, those have turbo 4 options. Chevy Equinox is a decent sized vehicle that gets over 30 mpg highway. The Malibu and Malibu hybrid could be used in the same way as I said about the Fusion.

They don't need a V8 Hemi Charger, it is just wasteful on gas, and it isn't really going to let them respond to a crime faster because you are still limited by other traffic on the road, pedestrians, etc, and if you are running red lights you don't really worry about acceleration time since you aren't slowing down that much.

And as the point was made earlier, if a high speed chase breaks out, it isn't like they pick what car they use, so unless every car on the squad is a Hemi V8 charger, that doesn't matter. And you use radios, On-Star engine shut down, the other Sat-Nav based car over ride technology, etc to stop a car, roadblocks etc. Plus a fast car can outrun a Charger Hemi police car anyway, my car could out run one easily and there are faster cars than mine out there.

Good grief. I'm glad you are not responsible for what cops get to drive, is all I'm going to say.

It is simply amazing how you have ignored just about everything said to this point.

Example? The current Charger Hemi pursuit pulls the same 0-60 and better quarter mile than a 2015 E Class 400. I'm pretty sure it can catch your older E Class. Research is your friend, not making up hypothetical situations about things you clearly don't know jack squat about.

Edited by surreal1272

Car and Driver tested the Dodge Charger Police car with Hemi and all wheel drive, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds.  My car does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds.   So no, it couldn't catch my 08 E-class.

But there is no reason really to spend $41k of tax payer money on a car that gets an observed 16 mpg when using tax payer funds.  

I'd also like to see government fleets and police department fleets meet the same CAFE standard they want the masses to meet. 

• Disagree 1

Car and Driver tested the Dodge Charger Police car with Hemi and all wheel drive, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. My car does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. So no, it couldn't catch my 08 E-class.

But there is no reason really to spend $41k of tax payer money on a car that gets an observed 16 mpg when using tax payer funds.

I'd also like to see government fleets and police department fleets meet the same CAFE standard they want the masses to meet.

More BS because first off, most times on your car are at the 5.1-5.2 mark. One publication getting a slightly better time does not change that fact. Second, the Hemi AWD edition is $36K not $41k.

http://www.nwmc-cog.org/SPC-Documents/SPC_2016_Charger_Pursuit_Price_List-_Order_Form-3.aspx

Third, I wonder how you feel about Germany's use of mostly larger Mercedes models for their police fleet? Fourth, most of those chargers are for state troopers and highway patrol (not much city use) and that Hemi is rated 27mpg on the highway.

Again, if you don't get why most cops prefer larger vehicles, then you need to just stop now. You've been told why repeatedly and just ignore and make up ridiculous reasons why they shouldn't.

Edited by surreal1272

Here is the car and driver test of the Charger police car, with the as tested price of $40,875.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-dodge-charger-pursuit-v-8-awd-test-review

And here is a review of my car stating the 4.8 second 0-60 time.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2008-mercedes-benz-e550-quick-test/

And another quoting 4.8

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2007-mercedes-benz-e550-page-3

And a 3rd magazine that got 4.9 seconds (07 model, but same as an 08)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/reviews/a12789/2007-mercedes-benz-e550/

Considering I used Car and Driver's time for the Charger Police car, makes sense to use their time for my car.

Car and Driver tested the Dodge Charger Police car with Hemi and all wheel drive, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. My car does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. So no, it couldn't catch my 08 E-class.

More BS because first off, most times on your car are at the 5.1-5.2 mark. One publication getting a slightly better time does not change that fact. Second, the Hemi AWD edition is $36K not $41k.

http://www.nwmc-cog.org/SPC-Documents/SPC_2016_Charger_Pursuit_Price_List-_Order_Form-3.aspx

Third, I wonder how you feel about Germany's use of mostly larger Mercedes models for their police fleet? Fourth, most of those chargers are for state troopers and highway patrol (not much city use) and that Hemi is rated 27mpg on the highway.

Again, if you don't get why most cops prefer larger vehicles, then you need to just stop now. You've been told why repeatedly and just ignore and make up ridiculous reasons why they shouldn't.

Ford plans to kill the Taurus, so I guess cops better get used to a Fusion.   Unless they only buy SUVs, that are slow.  So their goes the "we need speed" argument.

More BS because first off, most times on your car are at the 5.1-5.2 mark. One publication getting a slightly better time does not change that fact. Second, the Hemi AWD edition is $36K not $41k.http://www.nwmc-cog.org/SPC-Documents/SPC_2016_Charger_Pursuit_Price_List-_Order_Form-3.aspx

Ford plans to kill the Taurus, so I guess cops better get used to a Fusion. Unless they only buy SUVs, that are slow. So their goes the "we need speed" argument.
That's why they have other choices like the Charger and the Caprice PPV. There is nothing obligating them to just stick with Ford. Good grief cherry picker.

Also, the Explorer is every bit as capable and fast as your average Taurus, with much more room for gear.

Again, you sidestep the obvious.

Here is the car and driver test of the Charger police car, with the as tested price of $40,875.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-dodge-charger-pursuit-v-8-awd-test-review

And here is a review of my car stating the 4.8 second 0-60 time.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2008-mercedes-benz-e550-quick-test/

And another quoting 4.8

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2007-mercedes-benz-e550-page-3

And a 3rd magazine that got 4.9 seconds (07 model, but same as an 08)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/reviews/a12789/2007-mercedes-benz-e550/

Considering I used Car and Driver's time for the Charger Police car, makes sense to use their time for my car.

I'll tell you what. Go up to a Charger cop and challenge them to a race. You will find out that 2/10ths of a damn second difference doesn't mean squat to the right driver and I gaurantee you they are better trained at it than you are. Edited by surreal1272

Subaru Outback would make a lot of sense, they aren't too expensive, they are good on gas, have cargo room, and have all wheel drive.  They are even made in the USA.

The Subaru starts out at a higher price than a V6 Charger (which are also used by the police per the link I gave you) and barely better mileage than the larger Charger to boot. In NC, they were using Magnums until they stopped production on those and as an nine year owner of one, I know they have far more room up front and in the back than any Subaru wagon. Again, for cops, space is your friend.