William Maley

Ford News: 2017 Ford Fusion Sport Packs 325 Horsepower for $34,350*

When Ford provided the details of the 2017 Fusion lineup earlier this year, the one model that caused our eyes to widen was the Fusion Sport. Packing a twin-turbo 2.7L EcoBoost V6, the Sport would have 325 horsepower and 350 pound-feet of torque. Well, Ford has announced the final power figures for the Sport and our eyes are even wider.

The Sport will still have 325 horsepower coming from the V6. But torque has been increased to 380 pound-feet. No, that isn't a misprint. Not only does the Sport blow everyone out of the midsize sedan class in terms of power, it also gives the likes of the BMW 340i a run for its money (320 horsepower, 330 pound-feet of torque). This is paired with a six-speed automatic and all-wheel drive.

There is a catch. The only way to get that magical 380 pound-feet is to fill up 93 octane gas. Fill up with anything lower, and the torque figure drops to 350. Another downside is fuel economy. EPA says the Fusion Sport will return 17 City/26 Highway.

Ford also revealed pricing for the 2017 Fusion Sport. When it arrives at dealers towards the end of summer, the Sport will carry a pricetag of $34,350 (includes a $875.00 destination charge).

Source: Ford

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article

So REAL WORLD driving I would expect about 15 MPG on average for this turbo monster. I am sure it will be a blast to drive, but I expect people to complain about the gas mileage. Plus who has 93 octane? Washington state you only have 87 regular, 89 mid and 91 premium.

Even doing a search online you see people asking where to find this and not much options other than the race tracks with 104 octane option at $9.25 per gallon right now. I will say that I have mixed in 16 gallons of premium with 4 gallons of 104 here for what I believe my math tells me would equal 93 and the Trailblazer loved it. But then that pocket rocket has an adaptive ECU to adjust to the higher octane.

Anyone know if GM limits their adaptive ECU's?

I have to assume based on what Bill wrote here that this Ford Rocket Sedan has adaptive ECU so I wonder if you use higher octane what power output would be or would it just be a waste due to limits put in place by Ford?

I have 93 at a few stations in my town(of only 10,000 people) and any Shell station in the area for sure. 

I would assume they limit the ECU/car to a certain octane. You can't just dump 110 octane in and expect another 50hp jump w/o a tune for 110. 

Most of Costco's premium is 93.  Almost all Sunocos have 93.

This must be a washington thing as I went to Costco Q&A section for the gas stations and they have lots of good info, but they do quote that the bulk of their costcos use 87 regular and 91 premium.

http://www.costco.com/gasoline-q-and-a.html

Q: What products do you sell?
A: Regular Unleaded (typically 87 octane) and Premium Unleaded (typically 91 octane). Octane requirements can vary by state.

Really? I guess because I just grew up around it I never thought twice about the accessibility of 93. I just assumed it was basically everywhere.

• Upvote 1

Really? I guess because I just grew up around it I never thought twice about the accessibility of 93. I just assumed it was basically everywhere.

yeah, I'm the same way. 

yeah, I'm the same way. 

Me too...In Quebec of all places...

Petro-Canada is 94 Octane...and ALL the Petro-Canada gas stations Ive ever been to in Montreal all have it!!!

But then again...some say that Petro-Canada's 94 Octane is actually 91 Octane gasoline with additives and boosters added in....

Premium is recommended in my 2012 Acura TL Sh-AWD....

I think my owner's manual mentions I could fill her up on 87 Octane...I dont remember. 

Ive never done it, nor have I ever put 94 Octane in her either...

About the Fusion 2.7 ecoboosted Sport...

WOW!!!

380 ft/lbs torque (on 93 Octane)

350 ft/lbs torque on whatever fuel is recommended...

Are we really miffed about the 30 ft/lbs difference because of octane rating?

We are missing the fact that this beast is still a HEFTY 350 ft/lbs MINIMUM!!!

My aforementioned 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD is a paltry 275 ft/lbs....

But then again...had the same 30 ft/lbs been added to my Acura and I wouldnt be complaining...

But then again, 350 ft/lbs is still MORE than the imaginary 300 ft/lbs....

I LOVE my 2012 Acura....so I wouldnt be trading the TL for the Fusion Sport anytime soon...but...

The Tesla Model 3 and the Fusion Sport look like possible replacements in about 3-5 years from now!  If the Fusion Sport is still offered by then....and those options are looking at the future in 2016....m

By 2019-2021....maybe other more interesting options might become available to me...

Just to say....if I was in the market for a new car as of now...the 2017 Ford Fusion 2.7 liter ecoboost Sport  would be the one that I would buy!

• Upvote 1

I think every gas station in Pittsburgh has 93 octane, that is what I use, I never saw a station without it.

In Germany 91 octane is their regular and it goes up to like 97 or 98, that is why the German cars have the 91 octane minimum, they are just made for their home fuel.

Problem with the Fusion sport (which should be an SHO) is that the power goes to the wrong wheels. Somehow this car will be slower than a 340i or Q50 with less power.

It's the same rating for torque as the Lincoln MKX - which again is rated for FE on regular but performance on premium.

I know using lower octane fuel retards ignition timing...but why would that deliver better FE? Wouldn't the better fuel be, well, better fuel, so more powa, less foot on gas pedal?

And it's got AWD standard. It does not have mechanical torque vectoring - it used brake torque vectoring. However, Ford's AWD system is standard. I've heard it's much more willing to send power rear than competing mass-market awd systems.

Been saying this since they announced the sport:

"...But it's also going to cause problems for Ford. After all, when you can snag a 325-hp, 380 lb-ft Fusion for under $35,000, is there really an incentive to buy the all-wheel-drive, 400-horsepower Lincoln MKZ for $43,575? We'd argue not really"

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/09/2017-ford-fusion-sport-380-lb-ft/

• Upvote 1

"...But it's also going to cause problems for Ford. After all, when you can snag a 325-hp, 380 lb-ft Fusion for under $35,000, is there really an incentive to buy the all-wheel-drive, 400-horsepower Lincoln MKZ for $43,575? We'd argue not really"

Ive also said that countless of times too...

Over at MT when the discussions were about what if Ford offered a V6 in the Fusion and in here...

I dont know about anybody else...but Id rather the Fusion Sport over ANY Lincoln Sedan....with the exception of the Continental....maybe...

Id have to see the Conti in person to make that decision...

That's not the only Lincoln vehicle they sell. This is heated competition for any premium compact luxury sedan. So yes, perhaps Lincoln doesn't have the performance chops of the Ford brand...but is anyone really expecting performance cars from Lincoln to go against the German 3 and Cadillac. Not really.

Especially when the Ford GT...a mid engine supercar is being revived very soon?

Where's Buick? Where's Acura? Where is even Toyota-Lexus compared to something like this? Probably nowhere, and Acura has a new mid-engine supercar of their own, Buick doesn't have a performance flagship - but that's not Buick is about anyways.  

Lincoln is still building themselves, they don't have the pieces at all right now, the only vehicles that seem to work are crossovers. If this increases sedan sales for Ford, it'll be miracle in this auto industry climate.

The Lincoln MKZ interior should make it work the $8,000 price premium.  Key word there is "should."  But I don't think the MKZ interior is anything to write home about and it probably drives like a Ford, so it probably isn't worth the extra money, but that is the problem with Lincoln's strategy.  The cars should be way better than Ford, but they aren't.

• Upvote 1

@SUAVE

I doubt this Fusion Sport will reverse sales trends for sedans...

CUV sales are really really hot...sedan sales are not

CUVs are not exactly enthusiast machines...

The Fusion Sport seems to be...

There is a disconnect there somewhere...

About Acura and Buick and Lincoln...

Well, all 3 are fighting for the same market niche dominance...

Acura is the only one with a bonafide halo car...

Lincoln could say the Continental is a halo car...

Well...see SMK's post...

Lincoln's quality in leather may be better than a Ford Fusion Titanium leather....but I dont see a better fit and finish.

Maybe this Continental is worthy of the Lincoln badge and will restore Lincoln prestige...however, its still got a Ford Mondeo/Fusion skeleton underneath...

A Fusion Sport may not be that far off a Continental if a Fusion Sport had all the care and love and hardware that the Continental has...with a price tag to match of course...

So...where does that leave Lincoln?

We dont know....but I aint afraid for Lincoln as Buick and Acura are not really burning up the products either...

Buick is doing great...but Buick really has no car in its stable that evokes powerful emotions....

Acura does have the NSX...to bad the rest of the line-up is boring...

Lincoln actually does have some pretty positive emotions involving their new product launches!!!

PS:

Honda got its mojo back. Id say Honda/Acura situation is a lot like Ford/Lincoln.

I want my Honda S2000 back...

Life got in the way though ;)

Im starting to appreciate this car more and more.

With Honda/Acura cars, this is a normal trend for me.

When a new Honda/Acura model first appears on the scene, I HATE it.

That hatred starts to dissipate after a couple of years only for me to love and/or appreciate it a decade or so later.

Never fails.

• Upvote 1

PS:

Honda got its mojo back. Id say Honda/Acura situation is a lot like Ford/Lincoln.

I want my Honda S2000 back...

Life got in the way though ;)

Im starting to appreciate this car more and more.

With Honda/Acura cars, this is a normal trend for me.

When a new Honda/Acura model first appears on the scene, I HATE it.

That hatred starts to dissipate after a couple of years only for me to love and/or appreciate it a decade or so later.

Never fails.

I can appreciate and relate to the above...

Though not a Honda ( or Ford ) it fits in with what you said...

One of my favorites ( and always has been ) is from '69 and housed a high winding ( for its day ) 302...

Edited by FordCosworth

Fusion Sport is one heck of a performance bargain.  I would definitely drive one.

Fusion Sport is one heck of a performance bargain.  I would definitely drive one.

But would you own one?

If your a car person, I can see this being a heck of a value and a car person would buy one.

For me, I would drive one as I think it might be a fun auto to drive and play around in, I would not own it.

Not big on sedans myself.  I prefer coupes, pickups, crossovers, SUV's and even wagons over sedans.  But I love Ford's ample package in the Fusion Sport.

The interior of the sport, is not on the level of the new MKZ.  Even the new Fusion Platinum isn't at the level of the new MKZ and the Fusion Sport isn't even at the level of the Fusion Platinum.   If you're just looking for raw speed, yes, get the Fusion Sport, but if you're looking for more of a luxury car, get the MKZ. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook