I know next to nothing about what's out there for motorcycles.  I'm in the process of getting my motorcycle license.

My very good friend who I'd like to go riding with has this:

post-51-0-65802700-1466085373_thumb.jpg

A 2015 Ducati Streetfighter.

While I think it's a hot bike, I also am certain it is not for me. I don't want to be hunched forward and I want to be able to put a passenger on the back.

The bike I've admired for a while is the Yamaha Roadliner Midnight

post-51-0-93637200-1466087910_thumb.jpg

I like the bike, but want something a bit more sporty without going to the extreme of the Ducati 

Thoughts?

Drew, that is a sweet bike. I used to ride till I got married and had kids. Wife gave me a choice of her or the bike. I retired the bike. Miss it, but am happy with all the other fun toys that have replaced it especially my waverunners. :P

I have always liked the Yamaha bikes, I checked out and rode the following that is a blast:

Empulse TT

10,400 watt hour EV Bike.

post-12-0-31252300-1466088761_thumb.jpg

I also like the Hammer S

post-12-0-05142300-1466088946_thumb.jpg

Sporty but not a crotch rocket and your first bike? 

One of my all-time favorites, might be a little more ass for a first timer than it should be but nothing insane, Triumph Street Triple. I'm not sure how much 2-up riding you plan but if you are planning on doing a lot then this isn't the bike for you but i it's for the occasional ride here and there it'll be just fine.

First gen: 

2FA5A2A1-5AD3-4B1D-A918-2230CBCC72A1_zps

Second gen:

8B1E8AF2-EEDF-4C2D-B27B-34E0B84FF204_zps

You could also go the route of a Ducati Monster(all different engine choices ranging from like 620-1100 if you're looking used), not as sporty as the Streetfighter and it'll be along the lines of the Street Triple. Yamaha makes a new FZ-07 that's a parralell twin 700. Won't be the fastest thing in the world(considering it's a 700) but a long the lines of the naked sport bikes.  

Have to say in playing with the configurator, I am really liking the Magnum X-1 Stealth Edition bike also.

attachicon.gifMagnumX1StealthEdition.jpg

A buddy of mine's dad has one of these in a super dark matte gray/black and it's one heck of a bike. So many features and it's made to just ride for days on end. 

That's pretty much exactly right.  I've ridden dirt bikes for years, but this will be my first street bike.   I really don't care about speed, of the three vehicle in my driveway now, none exceed 160 hp. 

Edit:  And I will almost certainly be buying used.

Drew, I also forgot about Motus, An American Bike Builder that used to build Corvette Racers and they took the V8, cut it in half and now produce a Pushrod V4 1650CC Liquid cooled bad ass ride! They have a great comfort ride position.

post-12-0-74649100-1466090686_thumb.jpg

Motus MSTR

post-12-0-50375000-1466090683_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-30889300-1466090684_thumb.jpg

Motus MST

post-12-0-88040600-1466090681_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-83849900-1466090685_thumb.jpg

Motus Corvette based V4 Pushrod Engine

post-12-0-96473100-1466090687_thumb.jpg

That's pretty much exactly right.  I've ridden dirt bikes for years, but this will be my first street bike.   I really don't care about speed, of the three vehicle in my driveway now, none exceed 160 hp. 

Edit:  And I will almost certainly be buying used.

I'd give the Street Triple your strong consideration. and if you're comfortable enough because you aren't new to 2 wheels a Speed triple(1050cc as opposed to 675). To go with that Yamaha has an FZ-09 that's also a 3cyl but 900cc. 

If you're not concerned about speed.. It has a fantastic 3 cyl engine that offers a lot of low-mid range punch for a sporty bike while still leaving something like 120hp on tap for when you do want to get nasty. I'd avoid an inline 4 as they have zero bottom end. A V-twin like a Monster would be even better if you're not looking to race as they have gobs of low end but a much weaker top end(but still no slouch of a vehicle as the smaller Monsters still run 12's in the 1/4).

dfelt,

Very interesting motorcycle, ugly, but very interesting! 

Yup, the SV650 has been around awhile and has a good reputation as well. I've never really gotten on board but that's just because of the styling seems a little bland to me and the tail section looks very dated compared to all of the new naked bikes out there today.  The segment has blown up over the last 5 years. 

After doing a little looking around I found Kawasaki makes a Z800 now! I always thought their Z1000 looked pretty sweet but it would have been too much bike for me. Awesome they have an 800 now...too bad it's still an inline 4 as well but probably an awesome bike nonetheless. 

Wow also found Suzuki makes a naked version of their supersports as well, GSX750. Freakin' awesome!  

Edited by ccap41

Well, I definately lean more "Classic" than modern.   A few months ago I saw a guy driving around a pristine vintage BMW motocycle and I loved the look.

But I'd still want to be able to keep up with my Ducati friend.... or go cruising with my dad some day.  (not going to try to keep up with him, his bike is nuts)

Start researching cruzer bikes. Find a few dealers and sit on as many as you can. That will give you a good idea of what is comfortable. Think comfort over looks.

Well, comfort I would look at the Yamaha Roadliner that I've admired for years. 

Well, I definately lean more "Classic" than modern.   A few months ago I saw a guy driving around a pristine vintage BMW motocycle and I loved the look.

But I'd still want to be able to keep up with my Ducati friend.... or go cruising with my dad some day.  (not going to try to keep up with him, his bike is nuts)

Well the Streetfighter is a badass bike.. to legitimately keep up with that you'd also need a lot of bike and about the only ones that would truly keep pace with the Streetfighter. if driven balls out, are the I4's like the GSX750, Z800, or even more so the 1050 in the Speed Triple. 

What's you dad have??? 

We're not going to be racing our bikes, especially me as a new rider... but I'd be holding him back too much if I was on a vintage BMW.  I need to be able to at least keep up within the confines of safe driving.

My dad has a 1972 Kawasaki H2 Mach 2 - Originally a 750 two-stroke, he's modified the engine substantially for more power.  I'd have to truck the bike down to florida to go riding with him.

This is his.

Start researching cruzer bikes. Find a few dealers and sit on as many as you can. That will give you a good idea of what is comfortable. Think comfort over looks.

That's a really good choice. It has a nice riding position and is large enough to reasonably acomadate a passenger. Suzuki and Honda have similar offerings you should check. Avoid Hardly. I have nothing against them, and have owned them, but they are pricey for what they are. Paying more for the name than the content of the bike. On that note Suzuki is good bang for the buck. And again, comfort first.

That's a really good choice. It has a nice riding position and is large enough to reasonably acomadate a passenger. Suzuki and Honda have similar offerings you should check. Avoid Hardly. I have nothing against them, and have owned them, but they are pricey for what they are. Paying more for the name than the content of the bike. On that note Suzuki is good bang for the buck. And again, comfort first.

Yeah, my dad has been a Yamaha and Kawasaki guy for years... I can't get a Harley, he wouldn't let me live it down. 

I'd vote a Honda CB500X. They're very good value, have a comfortable seating position that will accommodate two people, are wonderfully usable in the city or out of town, and importantly, have a decent front fairing. Also, Honda's reliability is peerless. 

The fairing is important because when you're riding with your friend, you won't become tired from facing the wind head-on. And if you're caught in the rain, you'll have some protection too. It's altogether a safe choice. The CB500X's suspension travel also means you can navigate potholed roads with a little more confidence. 

Your friend's bike is fast, but unless you're racing, it's not important. I imagine he'll want to flick around curves and corners and speed is less of a factor then. The Honda's powerband and geometry would help you stay confident around the corners, and you'd likely be able to keep up pretty well too.

We're not going to be racing our bikes, especially me as a new rider... but I'd be holding him back too much if I was on a vintage BMW.  I need to be able to at least keep up within the confines of safe driving.

My dad has a 1972 Kawasaki H2 Mach 2 - Originally a 750 two-stroke, he's modified the engine substantially for more power.  I'd have to truck the bike down to florida to go riding with him.

This is his.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about keeping up with anybody. If they are riding at a pace that's too fast for you then you're into felony territory anyway... even if it's just hustling around the back roads. 

Similar to what Scout said, I'd go sit on a bunch of bikes that you think look good and go from there. I'm not going to say don't let looks sell or don't sell the bike because you want to look at your bike and love it still. 

Holy $h!! a two-stroke 750?!?! That's one gnarly bike! 

I should probably ask what kind of riding do you plan on doing? Taking trips kind of thing? or more or less shorter 1hr jaunts here and there sometimes w/ and sometimes w/o a partner? Commuting(oh yeah you work at home now!!)? 

I ask because FAP brought up a great point w/ the fairing situation. 

I should probably ask what kind of riding do you plan on doing? Taking trips kind of thing? or more or less shorter 1hr jaunts here and there sometimes w/ and sometimes w/o a partner? Commuting(oh yeah you work at home now!!)? 

I can't ever see me commuting on the bike unless I was leaving from the office to go somewhere on a trip. I only go into the office one day a week now, partially because the commute is so bad.  I'd be walking the bike for half of it..   To otherwise answer your question...  I'm not sure. I love getting out on the open road for a while even in my Toronado.  Probably mostly 1 - 3 hour jaunts.   I'd like to take longer trips too. I do want to be able to put side bags on whatever I get in case I want to do an overnight somewhere, but I would not want to leave them on permanently. 

Edit: I intend to buy a full face helmet, so I never really thought about a fairing.

The faring and a full face helmet are two different things. A good wind screen/faring will do a lot for fatigue on longer rides.

I wouldn't worry about power. I'll go out on a limb and say any larger (somewhat modern) cruiser will have a powerplant that is more than sufficient.

Also the larger cruiser will be decently customizable. Farings, bags, so on.

Edited by Scout

I can't ever see me commuting on the bike unless I was leaving from the office to go somewhere on a trip. I only go into the office one day a week now, partially because the commute is so bad.  I'd be walking the bike for half of it..   To otherwise answer your question...  I'm not sure. I love getting out on the open road for a while even in my Toronado.  Probably mostly 1 - 3 hour jaunts.   I'd like to take longer trips too. I do want to be able to put side bags on whatever I get in case I want to do an overnight somewhere, but I would not want to leave them on permanently. 

Edit: I intend to buy a full face helmet, so I never really thought about a fairing.

Fairing really does play a major role in more than just your face. 

Maybe try looking at the sport touring route. My dad has a Honda ST1300(it's a little dated now as all of the others have been updated) and it's freakin great. The Kawi Concours 14 is a badass touring bike. It'll legitimately hang with a lot of the sporty bikes and then you have luxury at your fingertips/butt as well. Adjustable windscreen and air vents for if you want more of less air on you, they make heated everything for it in the aftermarket along with power outlets for phone/gps/radio. Get a rear trunk and your space is almost endless and it gives your partner a backrest which is very reassuring if you've ever ridden on the back of a bike(I did it once and will never again.. I didn't like the lack of control). You can get cruise control..

Again, after doing a little more reading the Yamaha FJR1300 has a lot of insane stuff standard; Cruise control, adjustable seat height(without tools), multi-level power modes, traction control, lean-angle LED sensitive lighting to see through curves at night, heated grips... so many things that are pretty gnarly. 

:yikes:

Lovely bike Drew!

Motoplex by my house sells Yamaha, Indian, BMW bikes and has a great selection of used also.

Here is their used listing,

http://www.motoplex.net/s/search/inventory/availability/In%20Stock/usage/Used/type/Street%20Bikes/type/Cruiser~~V-Twin/sort/best-match

Here is their listing of Indian, You might like the black Dark Horse bike.

http://www.northsoundindianmotorcycle.net/s/search/inventory/

Over all, I have to say I like the selection of bikes at Motoplex.

http://www.motoplex.net/index.htm

I wish I could be of help.

I am not a bike connoisseur.

Im barely an enthusiast. I do admire them, but from afar.

If I was buying a bike for myself, it would be a HD V-ROD/NIGHT ROD

2015-Harley-Davidson-Night-Rod-Special-B

Or an Indian Scout

Bue-mI1CAAMQsq8.jpg

Or a Triumph T100 Steve McQueen Edition

web-WING5203.jpg

I think the Triumph T100 is more me.

Lovely bike Drew!

Motoplex by my house sells Yamaha, Indian, BMW bikes and has a great selection of used also.

http://www.motoplex.net/s/search/inventory/availability/In%20Stock/usage/Used/type/Street%20Bikes/type/Cruiser~~V-Twin/sort/best-match

Those prices on the few that I'm fairly knowledgeable seem outrageous. 7k for a 2007 GSXR1000 w/ 19,200 miles on it.. Just sounds high to me. When it was brand new in 2007 it was probably only like 12k back then. 

Then a 2013 CBR250 with 12,200 miles for 4k... a brand spankin new CBR300F is 4k and a CBR300R is 4,400. Oh and a new CBR250R is only 4200

Edited by ccap41

Lovely bike Drew!

Those prices on the few that I'm fairly knowledgeable seem outrageous. 7k for a 2007 GSXR1000 w/ 19,200 miles on it.. Just sounds high to me. When it was brand new in 2007 it was probably only like 12k back then. 

Then a 2013 CBR250 with 12,200 miles for 4k... a brand spankin new CBR300F is 4k and a CBR300R is 4,400. Oh and a new CBR250R is only 4200

They may be high compared to your market, Here in Washington with one of the highest more educated work forces and an average income over 85K a year, prices do run higher here. That I know. Why looking and shopping around is very important. :P

Well looked at the Road Liner today and decided I didn't like it. It has a nice side profile, but from every other angle it looks fat.

I ended up honing in on this Kawasaki Vulcan S though. I sat on it a while and everything felt just right in terms of fit.

post-51-0-13954100-1466119405_thumb.jpg

Well looked at the Road Liner today and decided I didn't like it. It has a nice side profile, but from every other angle it looks fat.

I ended up honing in on this Kawasaki Vulcan S though. I sat on it a while and everything felt just right in terms of fit.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160616_192250_01.jpg

I like the forward controls on that. Just a side note though, the stretched out riding position is good for confort, but can have a negative affect on handling. I don't do the canyon carving thing so that's not an issue for me.

Did you change your mind about a passenger?

Edited by Scout

The Vulcan S is built to be easily customized by the dealer to fit most people. It's also a really approachable bike, with good handling that belies the cruiser appearance somewhat and a linear powerband. My only hangup with Kawasaki is I've always felt the fit/finish and materials of their cruisers weren't as good as Honda or Yamaha. But there's likely some bias in there as well. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20160616_192250_01.jpg

I like the forward controls on that. Just a side note though, the stretched out riding position is good for confort, but can have a negative affect on handling. I don't do the canyon carving thing so that's not an issue for me.

Did you change your mind about a passenger?

I don't really think canyon carving is on the menu for me anyway, besides, there are no canyons here to carve.   No, I didn't change my mind about a passenger, I can get a second seat for the Vulcan S.

The Vulcan S is built to be easily customized by the dealer to fit most people. It's also a really approachable bike, with good handling that belies the cruiser appearance somewhat and a linear powerband. My only hangup with Kawasaki is I've always felt the fit/finish and materials of their cruisers weren't as good as Honda or Yamaha. But there's likely some bias in there as well. 

As I mentioned above, I won't be buying a new one.  This is still a starter bike for me, so I'm less worried about those things and more worried about me laying down a new bike. 

• Agree 1

too many hot bikes, can't ever pick one!

got my license in high school  haven't had a bike since about 29 years now.  Still have the license, would love to get back into it.

Like the Indians particularly the scout, victory bikes, some kawi's, the Vrod and other harleys, the new 750 is nice.

too many hot bikes to list here.

What about tailgate down? I think you'd need the measurement from the front of the front wheel to the "wheelbase" measurement of the rear to make sure it'll fit. Sounds like it might be pretty tight. But anytime I've loaded a bike in a bed we put the front wheel in one of the front corners so it's kindof wedged in there real tight and also gives you some extra room.

Also, it will be a bastard to load that heavy bike up into an Avalanche.

What about tailgate down? I think you'd need the measurement from the front of the front wheel to the "wheelbase" measurement of the rear to make sure it'll fit. Sounds like it might be pretty tight. But anytime I've loaded a bike in a bed we put the front wheel in one of the front corners so it's kindof wedged in there real tight and also gives you some extra room.

Ramps. But it's the only way I'll get it down to Florida.

Front of front tire to middle of rear tire is 76.5"

Yeah ramps still just suck getting a bike into the bed of a truck. We used ramps to get my Daytona into the bed of a Silverado when I picked it up and it just always seems sketchy. 

Why not drive it down to Florida?!?!  

Well it sounds like it will fit with a little maneuvering it around if you put the front wheel in one of the corners, but the tailgate will have to be down. 

Yeah ramps still just suck getting a bike into the bed of a truck. We used ramps to get my Daytona into the bed of a Silverado when I picked it up and it just always seems sketchy. 

Well it sounds like it will fit with a little maneuvering it around if you put the front wheel in one of the corners, but the tailgate will have to be down. 

Wouldn't I put it along the center line of the truck?

Why not drive it down?  I"m a new rider and don't want to be on the bike for 1,200 miles. I want to stay down there for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, and being only on a motorcycle wouldn't work. 

I had to google to find out the correct way to load it because I've also never had to move one 1200 miles. I think the longest I had to transport a bike was my Daytona from Colombia, MO to home which is only 150 miles so we were a little less concerned about the long haul and we got out after about 30 minutes to double check and make sure everything was still snug and secure. Aaaaaanyway... my point of this post is the video. I never had a front wheel block that they have which is why we wedged it into the corner of the bed.

Edited by ccap41
  • Agree 1

Why not drive it down?  I"m a new rider and don't want to be on the bike for 1,200 miles. I want to stay down there for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, and being only on a motorcycle wouldn't work. 

I found Bikes Corner to Corner work out very well in truck beds. Load it up say on the left side of the tail gate and wheel it into the passenger right corner and strap it down. For short beds that always worked best for me.

• Agree 1

I had to google to find out the correct way to load it because I've also never had to move one 1200 miles. I think the longest I had to transport a bike was my Daytona from Colombia, MO to home which is only 150 miles so we were a little less concerned about the long haul and we got out after about 30 minutes to double check and make sure everything was still snug and secure. Aaaaaanyway... my point of this post is the video. I never had a front wheel block that they have which is why we wedged it into the corner of the bed.

Very cool video, they have come a long way since the 80's of loading a bike. :P

Great video. It told me some things to think about that hadn't crossed my mind, like strapping the ramps to the truck. 

Loading the bike at my house will be super duper easy.  I have a very steep driveway that I can back up to and with the tail gate down, practically walk the bike onto the truck without a ramp. When I had my 2003 Avalanche, I loaded heavy things into the bed this way many times, so I know that it lines up right.   It's the Florida end that will be the problem. 

I found Bikes Corner to Corner work out very well in truck beds. Load it up say on the left side of the tail gate and wheel it into the passenger right corner and strap it down. For short beds that always worked best for me.

That's what we've always done. I did it for my Daytona and my current two-wheeled toy... Honda PCX125. SCOOTER! lol 

Great video. It told me some things to think about that hadn't crossed my mind, like strapping the ramps to the truck. 

Loading the bike at my house will be super duper easy.  I have a very steep driveway that I can back up to and with the tail gate down, practically walk the bike onto the truck without a ramp. When I had my 2003 Avalanche, I loaded heavy things into the bed this way many times, so I know that it lines up right.   It's the Florida end that will be the problem. 

That's awesome you have a driveay set-up for loading and unloading a bike. That makes it much much easier. 

Yeah I never thought about strapping the ramps to the truck either. I thought that was a fantastic idea. And just how he walked the bike up. It seemed to effortless.