Fitness thread: All topics related to personal health and wellness

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Just please stop licking yourself.  We do not need to know how tasty your sweat is.

Come on you know you want to sprinkle a little Suav over your dinner! ;)

Well, I'm at 158 pounds. Yup, 30 lbs lost before the end of 2016. I did not think that would be possible.

This time, I went all out, full assault one the workout today. For example, I was doing forward lunges with alternating legs, with two 22.5 lb dumbells. 

I also started my first real dead lift, it was a 22.5 lb dumbell which I used.

Endurance is showing up. People at gym now look at me different. I am no longer a NOOB. I have not been 158 in a long time. LONG TIME. Also, this 158 makes no freaking sense. I am muscling up, and yet losing weight. And the last time I was in the 150's I had no muscle to speak of. So that was all fat. And yet I was slimmer then, now it's like I lose weight, but I don't get smaller. 

Well actually, the weight loss is still mostly from the gut. You know, when you stand upright, but you let your tummy sag....yeah, that just doesn't really do much now. Yeah, my gut expands like 1 inch. But before it was like 6-7 inches. And the cut lines becoming more visible around my legs.

I dunno. I might just have to post some before after pics, once I am done, and reach 15% body fat, which means peak fitness (but not athlete level of fitness).

• Agree 2

Congrats @Suaviloquent! that's a great accomplishment! It definitely sounds like you're building a lot more muscle than you've ever had and that's great. 

I really messed up not taking a before picture/measurements back last April or May when I turned things up to 9(If I'm being honest I know damn well I could be eating even better). But at that point I found workouts to do instead of my own make-shift workouts and stuck to them as closely as I could with varying amounts of time and gym equipment. I weighed 188 and I was still working out 3-4 days a week, mostly 3.. But the day I weighed myself at 188, which was the most I've ever weighed myself, I knew it wasn't good weight.. So I made an immediate change. Like I said, I found a workout that was brutal and stuck to it as closely as I could and I made sure to bring my lunches to work. I was prepping about 4lbs of baked chicken(per week) and some form of vegetable that I'd like. I've been doing this ever since as well. I'm pretty picky so that wasn't the easiest but I found a few things to make. Well I finished the 12 week workout the third week of July(it was my float trip week is how I know that..perfect timing as well) and weighed 168. 20lbs lost in 12 weeks. I have since stayed within 2.5 lbs of 168(most I've weighed myself is 171.5 since then). That's a good weight for myself and I've slowly been gaining muscle so I've also been dropping fat still so that's good. I'm fine weighing around there for being 5'8".

Buuuut the whole point of that is I wish I would have taken a picture of myself when I first started that at 188lbs to compare that to what I look like now at 168ish.  

Edited by ccap41

20 lbs in 3? Hmmm yeah, I got around 18 lbs in 3, and last two was 10 lbs.

But I'm 175 cm or 5' 9".

And I can't eat chicken all the damn time. Stuff gets bland for me if I eat it for 3 days in a row. So I eat lentils with rice, or beans with rice or egg whites. Yogurt here and there. Milk. Chickpeas too.

Mostly I have stopped eating store bought bread. Even store bought flat-breads. I just eat rice now with the legume or pulses/lentils for complete protein.

Oh yeah I forgot that my breakfasts consist of 2-3 hard boiled eggs and a protein bar.. The eggs are bland but they're simple and quick aaaaand cheap..lol

I can eat chicken all of the time but I also prepare it differently each week switching between different spices or sauces so it isn't that bad. 

10 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

20 lbs in 3? Hmmm yeah, I got around 18 lbs in 3, and last two was 10 lbs.

But I'm 175 cm or 5' 9".

And I can't eat chicken all the damn time. Stuff gets bland for me if I eat it for 3 days in a row. So I eat lentils with rice, or beans with rice or egg whites. Yogurt here and there. Milk. Chickpeas too.

Mostly I have stopped eating store bought bread. Even store bought flat-breads. I just eat rice now with the legume or pulses/lentils for complete protein.

Awesome going guys, remember chicken is so versatile as it can take all kinds of seasonings. Try Indian style, Asian style, there are a ton of ways to cook chicken and not get bored with the bland taste. I for one enjoy Teriyaki Chicken, Korean Chicken in spicy bean paste, Indian chicken has so many different styles that you can probably go two weeks and not cover all the various spices. Course then just traditional good ol Mediterranean chicken. Course, does not hurt to do a Beer can chicken with just a normal salt / pepper rub on the outside. Very juicy. 

So Yes, ton's of ways to prep Chicken.

Spicy Korean Chicken :P

http://www.koreanbapsang.com/2015/06/spicy-grilled-korean-chicken.html

Teriyaki Chicken

http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/easy-teriyaki-chicken-30551

10 Best Indian Chicken Recipes

http://food.ndtv.com/lists/10-best-indian-chicken-recipes-693207

Keep in mind you can also do this with lean Beef and especially Pork

Remember to keep mixing up your order of your weight lifting to keep the body in change so you keep having gains.

Rock on Meat Heads! :metal: 

Were here to PUMP YOU UP! :D 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Oh yeah I forgot that my breakfasts consist of 2-3 hard boiled eggs and a protein bar.. The eggs are bland but they're simple and quick aaaaand cheap..lol

I can eat chicken all of the time but I also prepare it differently each week switching between different spices or sauces so it isn't that bad. 

Remember you can also do Eggs and Oatmeal, Eggs and Ham steak,

Asians have a great breakfast that I got hooked on, Easy over eggs on steam rice with a little soy sauce.

Mix it all together, very filling depending on the number of eggs, high protein and will hold you through a solid morning without snacking.

Here is a various listing of egg and Rice Breakfast dishes.

http://www.yummly.co/recipes?q=eggs rice breakfast&allowedIngredient=large eggs&noUserSettings=true

In Japan I got hooked while going to college there on what is called 

Tamago Kake Gohan (Egg Over Rice)

http://www.lafujimama.com/2012/02/tamago-kake-gohan-egg-over-rice/

There is also 

Oyakodon (Japanese Chicken & Egg Rice Bowl) 

http://www.yummly.co/#recipe/Oyakodon-_Japanese-Chicken-_-Egg-Rice-Bowl_-Recipe-_-Video-1639169

There are fancy ways and simple ways and basic ways but all tasty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyakodon

Keep in mind you can always cook the egg or if you want even more protein you can also add a raw egg with the cooked eggs on the steamed rice and the heat / steam will cook the egg.

P6180240.JPG

Sticky-Brown-Rice-with-Egg-and-Chia.jpg

• Agree 1

It's not the seasoning of the chicken, it's just I just can't eat meat every day. I just don't like doing that. Not really related to saving animals or reducing carbon footprint or trying to be more vegan more often. It's just not very tasty to eat chicken 5-7 days a week for me, and every time we usually cook it different. Sometimes greek. Sometimes middle eastern, shwarama style. Sometimes tandoori. Sometimes Turmeric yogurt and lemom base. Sometimes satay paste.....

Like too much chicken if just too much for me. Love me some black chickpeas. They are yummy.

My personal health and wellness focus is entirely mental at this point.  About 15 years ago my dad's employer drove him to the brink with stress and excessive work demands. One day, my very level headed dad simply walked out of a job he had been in for 10 years.... never to return.  

The stress of my current job is getting to the point where I may follow in his footsteps. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

My personal health and wellness focus is entirely mental at this point.  About 15 years ago my dad's employer drove him to the brink with stress and excessive work demands. One day, my very level headed dad simply walked out of a job he had been in for 10 years.... never to return.  

The stress of my current job is getting to the point where I may follow in his footsteps. 

...and you would be smart to do so IMHO. Did the same thing myself and never looked back....

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Some golden rules I have always lived by:

Pay yourself first, no company or any other person will.

This way you have retirement.

Balance work and Personal Life.

Many companies preach this, but few actually deliver on it and sadly many managers got their position by politics and not from being mentored to be a better person and how to properly manage people and grow a group. Hence the need for balance.

Take time out for yourself!!!

This is an important one as we all need a break from partners, spouses, boyfriend / Girlfriend. No matter what, make sure to take time our for yourself.

Work out and Eat for Life!

This world is a complex place and you need to make sure you are in tip top shape as you never know when a curve ball will come and take you out.

Live Life to the Fullest!

We all make various incomes, but we still need to live life to the fullest so that you have a positive experience of being able to say when I do check out I had the best life I could make for myself.

• Agree 4

21 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Some golden rules I have always lived by:

Pay yourself first, no company or any other person will.

This way you have retirement.

Balance work and Personal Life.

Many companies preach this, but few actually deliver on it and sadly many managers got their position by politics and not from being mentored to be a better person and how to properly manage people and grow a group. Hence the need for balance.

Take time out for yourself!!!

This is an important one as we all need a break from partners, spouses, boyfriend / Girlfriend. No matter what, make sure to take time our for yourself.

Work out and Eat for Life!

This world is a complex place and you need to make sure you are in tip top shape as you never know when a curve ball will come and take you out.

Live Life to the Fullest!

We all make various incomes, but we still need to live life to the fullest so that you have a positive experience of being able to say when I do check out I had the best life I could make for myself.

Excellent advice, that I also live by.....

• 2 weeks later...

Merry belated Christmas, and Happy new Year.

I am more muscular now. My upper back and shoulders are catching up to biceps and triceps and forearms. I need to work on abs more.... other than that. 162 lbs, and arms looking better than ever. Pushups are getting easier every time.

I tire out by 20 pushups in one set of repititions, I want to get to 30 by second/third week of Jan.

And now, in between sets of arm curls or seated rows, I try to do 10 push ups. Is that good? I think the intervals help keep my arms alive longer. And H.I.I.T is one of those things you just end up putting the pedal to the metal harder every time.

I've just been a lurker here for a while now, no real interest in car news, would check in time to time, same old same old, so I kinda just turned off the social media and went to work. 

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

I'm baccccck!!! (Okay not really but, yes lurking all the same time and again).

So, I've been going at a slower pace, job, other things, but.

I made it to my first finish line. I am at or below 15% body fat now. 

I am now 157 lbs, and I am as strong as I have ever been. My most recent mission now is to work towards the beloved ONE ARM push-up. One arm chin. Pistol squat! 

Okay, I am nowhere near where I need to be, but I am slowly but surely building to those. Also, again, cars are of almost no interest to me right now. Don't worry, I still wanna lick some Cadillac CT6's, Lincoln Conti's, mmmmmmm so tasty the Chevy Impala with the LTZ wheels and that blue paint. Yummy.

Yup, so back to work!

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I really want to get back to it.  I'm so worn down lately from a intense work schedule and being ill. I feel like a phone with 2% battery left. 

Exhaustion, from being run non-stop, or sickness?

If sickness.. sometimes one thing that helps me get over that is getting a sweat in. Don't go nuts and attempt to push yourself at the gym but get a little easy cardio going to work some sweat up.

Edited by ccap41

19 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Exhaustion, from being run non-stop, or sickness?

If sickness.. sometimes one thing that helps me get over that is getting a sweat in. Don't go nuts and attempt to push yourself at the gym but get a little easy cardio going to work some sweat up.

Both. Since January 24th I've been zig zag going all over the country with very long hours in each location. I've been ill since mid February. At the moment, I still can't breathe properly from the chest pain, so cardio is out.

19 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Both. Since January 24th I've been zig zag going all over the country with very long hours in each location. I've been ill since mid February. At the moment, I still can't breathe properly from the chest pain, so cardio is out.

Damn, that's really rough.. I wish you the best in regaining your health, bud. 

• 1 year later...

I thought I’d make an annual update.

last weigh in 145 lbs. I am like at 10% body fat.

i also got inked. And then I killed a chair in the air.

got on keto. Did snake diet fasts. Had a lot of fun. Became the snake 🐍 out of all my friends, had an eagle 🦅 grafted on me chest. 

yeah things aren’t too bad now,l.

sw: 188

ew: 145.

EB61ED1B-D200-45F2-874B-070F4C3FD0AE.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2