FordCosworth

2017 Ford F-150 with All-New 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 Nets Best-in-Class V8-Beating 470 lb.-ft. of Torque | 10-Speed Transmission

cq5dam.web.480.480.jpeg

- All-new, second-generation 3.5-liter EcoBoost® V6 engine in the 2017 Ford F-150 produces 375 horsepower and a segment-best 470 lb.-ft. of torque, a gain of 10 hp and 50 lb.-ft. from previous 3.5-liter EcoBoost

- Class-leading torque of 3.5-liter EcoBoost and new 10-speed automatic transmission will deliver improved acceleration and performance

- 3.5-liter EcoBoost paired exclusively with the first volume-production 10-speed automatic transmission available from any automaker

DEARBORN, Mich., July 11, 2016 – Ford, America’s truck leader, continues its relentless pace of innovation, delivering segment-leading torque for 2017 F-150 customers with the all-new 3.5-liter EcoBoost® V6 engine and 10-speed automatic transmission.

The new second-generation 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine will provide 50 lb.-ft. more peak torque compared with the first-generation 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine, to a segment-best 470 lb.-ft., beating all diesel- and gasoline-powered competitors, including V8 engines with nearly twice the displacement of the EcoBoost V6. Horsepower jumps 10 from the previous version, to 375 hp.

“The 2017 Ford F-150 now delivers the best torque in the segment,” says Raj Nair, Ford executive vice president, Product Development, and chief technical officer. “This class-leading torque arrives with a transformative 10-speed automatic that improves nearly every aspect of F-150 performance.”

Read More

Oh boy.. if we thought the torque battle was ridiculous in the HDs... here it comes in the half-tons! 

Is this the first news we're hearing on the second gen 3.5EB? 

Edited by ccap41
  • Upvote 1

Very cool, I wonder where in the RPM band you get all 470 lbs of torque. I hope low and not having to rev the hell out of it to get it.

Very cool, I wonder where in the RPM band you get all 470 lbs of torque. I hope low and not having to rev the hell out of it to get it.

From the link and indication from the current 3.5EB, ( 420lbs-ft @ 2500rpm with 90% - 378lbs-ft - peak torque between 1700 and 5000 rpm  ) it'll be a torque monster low in the RPM range with a nice linear powerband

2017 F150.. when will these go on sale then??  Usually August production dates are considered the following year's model year which is less than a month away. 

2017 F150.. when will these go on sale then??  Usually August production dates are considered the following year's model year which is less than a month away. 

All I've read is " available fall of 2016 ".

Well, I am very intrigued with the first 2nd generation ecoboost. 

With the torque figure for this engine released, I'm curious on the output of the Raptoized 3.5L....

Sounds very impressive, but I think they need to get near 25 mpg highway to really make the "Eco" side of ecoboost hold up.  The current 3.5 ecoboost basically gets the same fuel economy as the GM V8, the purpose of the downsized engine is to get more miles per gallon, they need to improve there.

I wonder what the price will be too.  But if it is priced like he other guys V8s and can beat them by 3 mpg or so, The F150 looks really tough to beat.

• Upvote 2

To be a truly fair comparison of the engine's improvement over the prior one, I wish I could see how the fuel economy stacked up when it was mated to a 6-speed.  Fuel economy improvements are great, but just wondering how much of the credit goes to adding 4-forward speeds in the gearbox. 

The fuel economy numbers only really apply if you keep your foot out of the throttle.  That's true on any engine, but doubly so on turbo-DI engines.  Any time you hear that turbo whistle... you might as well be driving a big-displacement V8 for all the fuel economy you're getting. 

• Upvote 2

Word is an updated 5.0L will be launching around the same time this all new, class leading torque monster is set free.

That would be nice.  If I were F-150 buying, I'd really rather have a V8

Word is an updated 5.0L will be launching around the same time this all new, class leading torque monster is set free.

From what I've been told, one of the upgrades is the dual FI - port and direct - system.

From what I've been told, one of the upgrades is the dual FI - port and direct - system.

That is an under-rated tech improvement that I wish more companies would go with.  Right now, I think only Ford, Toyota, and Subaru (via Toyota) do it. It is one of the reasons Toyota's V6es are as efficient as they are while being slightly behind in other tech advances.

• Upvote 2

That would be nice. If I were F-150 buying, I'd really rather have a V8

It a tough decision for me. But the 5.0L F-150 is the only 1/2 ton with a factory snow plow prep option available. And living in Canada, well, we get some snow here.

Hmmm

http://www.torquenews.com/106/2015-ford-f150-first-half-ton-lineup-factory-snow-plow-prep

Edited by FordCosworth

It a tough decision for me. But the 5.0L F-150 is the only 1/2 ton with a factory snow plow prep option available. And living in Canada, well, we get some snow here.

Hmmm

http://www.torquenews.com/106/2015-ford-f150-first-half-ton-lineup-factory-snow-plow-prep

That seems backward from utilizing the low end tq of the turbo motors..yes, both 2.7 and 3.5 probably make more twist at 2000rpm than the 5.0 does. 

Hmmm

That seems backward from utilizing the low end tq of the turbo motors..yes, both 2.7 and 3.5 probably make more twist at 2000rpm than the 5.0 does. 

I can't imagine plowing with an EB... you'd be into the turbo too much and the fuel economy would be in the single digits. I have no charts to prove my theory, but I'm betting that at 1/4 throttle, the 5.0 has more torque than the 2.7 EB. 

Keep in mind that peak torque ratings for all engines are at full throttle. So the EB engines only make that twist at or near full throttle. In mid to low throttle position without the turbos spinning, you're just driving a regular old 2.7 liter V6 in a full size truck. In mid to low throttle position in the 5.0, you still have 8 cylinders. You never ever plow at full throttle. 

Turbocharging V6es and variable displacement V8s like the GM 5.3 and 6.2 and the Hemi are just two different sides of the same coin.  You get power when you combine fuel and air and ignite it.  The more fuel and air you put in the engine, the more power you get... the less fuel and air, the less power.  The Ford method is to take an engine with a small displacement and cram extra fuel and air in when needed to make it respond like a larger displacement engine, but when only light power is required, it runs as a 2.7 liter V6 with no boost.  The GM and Chrysler method is to take a big displacement engine and shut down half of it when it isn't needed.  

At cruise on a highway, a Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 and a Ford F-150 2.7 EB are both running the same 2.7 liter displacement. 

Hmmm

I can't imagine plowing with an EB... you'd be into the turbo too much and the fuel economy would be in the single digits. I have no charts to prove my theory, but I'm betting that at 1/4 throttle, the 5.0 has more torque than the 2.7 EB. 

Keep in mind that peak torque ratings for all engines are at full throttle. So the EB engines only make that twist at or near full throttle. In mid to low throttle position without the turbos spinning, you're just driving a regular old 2.7 liter V6 in a full size truck. In mid to low throttle position in the 5.0, you still have 8 cylinders. You never ever plow at full throttle. 

Turbocharging V6es and variable displacement V8s like the GM 5.3 and 6.2 and the Hemi are just two different sides of the same coin.  You get power when you combine fuel and air and ignite it.  The more fuel and air you put in the engine, the more power you get... the less fuel and air, the less power.  The Ford method is to take an engine with a small displacement and cram extra fuel and air in when needed to make it respond like a larger displacement engine, but when only light power is required, it runs as a 2.7 liter V6 with no boost.  The GM and Chrysler method is to take a big displacement engine and shut down half of it when it isn't needed.  

At cruise on a highway, a Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 and a Ford F-150 2.7 EB are both running the same 2.7 liter displacement. 

That brings up something I've been curious about for quite awhile now and that's partial throttle hp/tq. I know at 1/4 throttle in my 2.0t that there is some turbo action(I can hear it) so that 2.7/3.5 would also be spinning some so it wouldn't be like they're n/a small V6s. I'm seriously curious about the 1/4 throttle differences between the small turbo motors and the n/a V8. I still just feel like if something makes low end tq under full throttle it would still make an adequate amount under partial throttle. I mean that's a huge part of what the turbo motors are all about.

Fuel economy for anything pushing snow will be in the single digits. I cannot imagine any truck with a plow and doing work in the single mph range is getting anything better than single digit mpg as well. Whatever half ton you choose will me a 1st and maybe 2nd gear use only while plowing a parking lot or driveway. 

With all of your automotive connections you should find somebody with a dyno and run a few pulls for comparison!!! This would be a legitimately good article to either prove or disprove the validity of the small turbo motors and their low end tq that the manufacturers hype. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook