BMW News: BMW 1-Series Sedan is A Chinese Only Affair

BMW has revealed the 1-Series sedan today in China. This is the German automaker's belated answer to the likes of the Audi A3 and Mercedes-Benz CLA. BMW has only released one image of the new model, but we can tell the design is the same as the Concept Compact Sedan that debuted at last year's Guangzhou Auto Show.

BMW's press release on this model is very sparse on technical details. We do believe this sedan is using the UKL front-wheel drive platform that underpins the BMW X1 and Mini Cooper. Power will likely come from turbocharged three and four-cylinder engines.

It is expected the model will go on sale soon in China and be produced at Brilliance Auto's plant in Shenyang, China. Brilliance it should be noted is BMW's partner in China.

The model is expected to only be sold in China.

Source: BMW

Press Release is on Page 2

The all new BMW 1 Series Sedan. Exclusively for the Chinese Market

Beijing: The BMW Group and BMW Brilliance Automotive Ltd. (BBA) will further explore the premium compact segment in China with the BMW 1 Series Sedan – the first compact sports sedan under the BMW brand. This makes BBA's product range in the compact class even more comprehensive with premium entry-level cars covering segments of the Active Tourer, Sports Activity Vehicle, and Sports Sedan, attracting new customer groups to become premium car owners. The premium compact car segment is the fastest growing segment worldwide and in China.

The BMW 1 Series Sedan is the most sporty and emotional sedan in segment. It is an exclusive model tailored and aligned to the needs of Chinese customers, solely produced and specifically sold in China. The development and testing of the new car was taken place in the BMW headquarters with the involvement of Chinese engineers. The new car also performed intensive road tests in respect to different circumstances of road conditions and climate situations on different terrains in China. With the BMW 1 Series Sedan, BMW engineers have made a lot of specific fine-tuning and improvements according to the Chinese customers' habits and vehicle-use environment.

The BMW 1 Series Sedan is originated from the concept car BMW Concept Compact Sedan, which made its world premiere at Guangzhou Motor Show 2015. As a model ready for production, the BMW 1 Series Sedan maintains design elements of the concept car, including BMW's typical body proportion. The BMW 1 Series Sedan is instantly recognisable as a BMW. It has a concise BMW face with double kidney grille as well as LED double round headlamps and brand emblem in a very present, sporty and modern interpretation. The characteristic BMW design language is also shown in the sporty, emotional and modern-looking silhouette with Hofmeister kink.

The BMW 1 Series Sedan is the latest proof of BMW Group’s strength in innovation and is superior in terms of connectivity. Its comprehensive BMW ConnectedDrive technologies provide all customers unparalleled convenience, rich infotainment, and significantly enhanced safety. The latest powerful and technology-leading engines with hi-tech electronic technology from BMW are produced at the new local engine plant in Shenyang and guarantee unparalleled driving pleasure.

After the successful launch of the BMW X1 and the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer, the BMW 1 Series Sedan is added to the model range, which now comprises five locally-produced BMW model series in China. With that BMW offers even more attractive entry-level models for its customers. This will further help to expand the company’s product substance and competitive advantage.

View full article

The 1 Series was not a joke. It was a great driving car. Just a little heavy for it's size.

Sorry have to disagree, BMW nailed it as a perfect copy of a cheap ass Chevy or Toyota. Hard plastics, uninspiring driving and over priced for what you got including the over priced service costs.

You get more auto buying a Camaro or Mustang than a BMW 1 series.

The 1 Series was not a joke. It was a great driving car. Just a little heavy for it's size.

Sorry have to disagree, BMW nailed it as a perfect copy of a cheap ass Chevy or Toyota. Hard plastics, uninspiring driving and over priced for what you got including the over priced service costs.

Mr. DFELT.

Hard plastics?

- OK, Ill give you that one. Maybe, Ill give you that one. Ive never been in one. Ive seen a 135i in action though.

Over priced for what you got?

- OK, I just might agree with you there too. With the exception of the 135i, 135is and 1M.

Over priced service costs?

- We will just ignore that statement because

a. We are talking about BMW here...and its a foreign brand...

b. what dealership service department aint over priced whether foreign or domestic?

Uninspiring driving?

Not on the 135i, 135is and 1M...

Which were produced between the years 2008-2012.

Camaro was not alive in 2008.

Mustang was cool looking in 2008. But was not exactly a...um.. a bahnstohmah (Boston accent)

Camaro in 2009/2010 was a clumsy thing.

The BMW 135i, 135is and 1M were visceral little machines that other than the turbos, captured the very essence of what a BMW ultimate driving machine and "M" badge was all about.

• Agree 1

Mr. DFELT.

Hard plastics?

- OK, Ill give you that one. Maybe, Ill give you that one. Ive never been in one. Ive seen a 135i in action though.

- OK, I just might agree with you there too. With the exception of the 135i, 135is and 1M.

b. what dealership service department aint over priced whether foreign or domestic?

Uninspiring driving?

Mustang was cool looking in 2008. But was not exactly a...um.. a bahnstohmah (Boston accent)

The BMW 135i, 135is and 1M were visceral little machines that other than the turbos, captured the very essence of what a BMW ultimate driving machine and "M" badge was all about.

Personal Preference Olds, I still not impressed with those cars.

Mr. DFELT.

Hard plastics?

Uninspiring driving?

Personal Preference Olds, I still not impressed with those cars.

Gotcha!

BMW?

I dont blame you! (Although I personally do like the 135 and the1M)

Front Wheel Drive Bimmers?

The Ultimate Driving Machines?

2442643-0604742403-35818.gif

when i was selling we had the old style 135i m package.  nice car but it really was niche, wasn't really about transportation, and with the 3 series around, redundant.  If BMW wants the 1 series to truly become their entry level fashion car, front drive is fine, even if hypocritical.  It's all about capturing the next generation of buyers.

You gotta cut weight and give more space back to the cabin and trunk and fwd does that.

A copy of a Toyota or Chevy?? Lol. I'm just gonna stop there. No point debating someone who is so ignorant and biased. 

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=62249&endYear=2017&modelCode1=135I&showcaseOwnerId=5455190&makeCode1=BMW&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=200&showcaseListingId=428994262&mmt=%5BBMW%5B135I%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=425558581&Log=0

I'd drive that car. Looks fun as hell. Pretty dang quick as well 13.3 through the 1/4.. 

It would just be hard to justify buying that for 25k when I could probably find an S550 Mustang GT for close to that at this point. 

A copy of a Toyota or Chevy?? Lol. I'm just gonna stop there. No point debating someone who is so ignorant and biased. 

Not Ignorant or Biased, it is my own personal opinion after having been in many American made auto's and having people who love the german brands brag them up so much such as SMK and I get into one expecting something special and I end up with a Meh impression especially after being in current Chevy or Toyota's. 

My coworker loves his 135i and I am happy for him, but even he admits that his wife's new accord does does make one rethink about what is so special about the german brands. He stated if it was not used and a hella deal he would have probably not gotten it. With that he also has price shock as he had an engine light come on and was shocked with the price to repair.

BMW must know that to a certain point I have hit this on the nail as they pulled the 1 series rather than update it to be a competitive auto.

• Agree 1

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=62249&endYear=2017&modelCode1=135I&showcaseOwnerId=5455190&makeCode1=BMW&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=200&showcaseListingId=428994262&mmt=%5BBMW%5B135I%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=425558581&Log=0

I'd drive that car. Looks fun as hell. Pretty dang quick as well 13.3 through the 1/4.. 

It would just be hard to justify buying that for 25k when I could probably find an S550 Mustang GT for close to that at this point. 

Thank you for posting the link to this car that is for sale ccap, again it is personal preference but I find the pictures of this interior for a 2012 BMW 135i to be very dated, you can see all the hard plastics and it looks like something I would expect out of an auto from the late 90's or early 2000's but even then, today's auto's from Chevy and Toyota clearly are way better than these BMW 1 series.

BMW failed in my opinion on this auto.

The 1 Series did not go away...

It became the 2 Series.

And If Im not mistaken, the M235i is just as a great performance BMW machine as the 135i was.

And the M2 has arrived also. And Im guessing the M2 is one hot number as well...

The plebeian 1 Series and 2 Series may be useless....but not the performance versions.

But then again,

a 1980s 318 was just as crappy as the plebeian 1 and 2 Series, non?

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

It became the 2 Series.

And If Im not mistaken, the M235i is just as a great performance BMW machine as the 135i was.

And the M2 has arrived also. And Im guessing the M2 is one hot number as well...

The plebeian 1 Series and 2 Series may be useless....but not the performance versions.

But then again,

The 2 Series is bigger and RWD so it really doesn't have much in common with the 1 other than "replacing" it.

It became the 2 Series.

But then again,

The 2 Series is bigger and RWD so it really doesn't have much in common with the 1 other than "replacing" it.

The 135i was RWD as well 

The original 128i and 135i sold here were rear wheel drive.  They were cut down 3-series chassis.  The current 2-series as it is now sort of caters to that buyer that loved the late 90s and early 2000s 3-series, because it is that size, and the M2 version is pretty fast, the 0-60 time is 4.0 seconds, 163 mph top speed and .99 g skidpad rating, 3500 lb with 365 hp.   Those are pretty major league numbers for a $55,000 car.

It became the 2 Series.

But then again,

a 1980s 318 was just as crappy as the plebeian 1 and 2 Series, non?

The 135i was RWD as well

My bad. Just saw that. Why in the hell would they go the Mercedes route and dumb it down to FWD?

On a side note,

Make one little error and three people are there to pounce right on it.

RWD. Got it.

Edited by surreal1272

It became the 2 Series.

But then again,

The 135i was RWD as well
My bad. Just saw that. Why in the hell would they go the Mercedes route and dumb it down to FWD?

On a side note,

RWD. Got it.

lol sorry... but in all fairness..i was the first.. 

..CAFE.. but then again it is only for the Chinese market so who really gives a $h! here?  I don't.. It's a business after all and they have to support the sporty stuff we like somehow. Sell the junk to the country that makes our junk and junk cars.. haha

It became the 2 Series.

But then again,

The 135i was RWD as well

On a side note,

RWD. Got it.

lol sorry... but in all fairness..i was the first..

..CAFE.. but then again it is only for the Chinese market so who really gives a $h! here? I don't.. It's a business after all and they have to support the sporty stuff we like somehow. Sell the junk to the country that makes our junk and junk cars.. haha

Lol you sure were! I just have no emotional connection to BMWs at all, save for two cars I had the privilege of driving for drunk friends (2007 7 Series and an M5). Nice rides but I would not wish the long term headaches on my worst enemy. Edited by surreal1272

The 1 Series has always been RWD. The 2 replaced the 1 simply so this could happen- a FWD 1 in other markets.

welllllll they also changed the naming scheme in doing that where all even numbers were coupes, right? So it opened up a slot for a 1 series 

Yes, but they are going to build a 4 door 2 for the US and other markets. It's just going to be called a GranCoupe.