NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

MotorWeek | Retro Review: 1991 Chevy Caprice Wagon

16 posts in this topic

dfelt    1,771

Loved this as the Roadmaster by Buick. That was a freakin awesome station wagon. :metal:

Drew Dowdell    4,988

I still want one...

The Oldsmobile version?   I think they should have done something to make  Custom Cruiser a little different like they did with the sedans... 

I'd take an Olds or a Buick.  The Olds are just so hard to find.

ccap41    1,161

Loved this as the Roadmaster by Buick. That was a freakin awesome station wagon. :metal:

A buddy of mine's first car was a Buick Roadmaster.. Not sure on the year but i think early 90's and it had a dog of a 350 under the hood. Hilarious car to drive around. He loved her. "Pearl" was it's name! lol 

Drew Dowdell    4,988

A buddy of mine's first car was a Buick Roadmaster.. Not sure on the year but i think early 90's and it had a dog of a 350 under the hood. Hilarious car to drive around. He loved her. "Pearl" was it's name! lol 

These had one of two 350 V8s depending on the year. The 91-92s had a 200hp Chevy 350.  The 93 - 96s had the famous LT-1 with 360lb-ft of torque.  By today's standards it sounds slow, but these giant whales could hustle to 60 in 8 seconds with a 4-speed transmission. 

ccap41    1,161

These had one of two 350 V8s depending on the year. The 91-92s had a 200hp Chevy 350.  The 93 - 96s had the famous LT-1 with 360lb-ft of torque.  By today's standards it sounds slow, but these giant whales could hustle to 60 in 8 seconds with a 4-speed transmission. 

I feel like it was the older of the two.. It was bad slow. lol I got to drive it when my friend was taking his motorcycle license test on my bike so I had a couple hours to blow so I took his car while he had my bike(actually my mom's bike as my bike would have been terrible to testing) 

dfelt    1,771

I still want one...

The Oldsmobile version?   I think they should have done something to make  Custom Cruiser a little different like they did with the sedans... 

I'd take an Olds or a Buick.  The Olds are just so hard to find.

WOW, Amazing what is listed on Autotrader

Buick RoadMaster Estate Wagon - Wide range of prices. Amazing the first 3 are difference vins but identical color and package. Must have been part of a group buy.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Wagon/Buick/Roadmaster/Seattle+WA-98104?endYear=2017&firstRecord=0&makeCode1=BUICK&mmt=%5BBUICK%5BBUICKROAD%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=BUICKROAD&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=0&showcaseOwnerId=77376&startYear=1981&vehicleStyleCodes=WAGON&Log=0

Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Wagon/Oldsmobile/Custom+Cruiser/Seattle+WA-98104?endYear=2000&firstRecord=0&makeCode1=OLDS&mmt=%5BOLDS%5BCUCR%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=CUCR&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=0&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&vehicleStyleCodes=WAGON&Log=0

Your Right Drew, far harder to find. but the first one is nice looking. It is exactly what my parents had. 

Drew Dowdell    4,988

Custom Cruiser was only made for 2 years and was by far the slowest selling of the triplets.  GM was actually caught off guard here.  They "modernized" the Custom Cruiser by taking away its famous woodgrain but left it on the Buick.  The traditional buyers of these cars actually liked and wanted the woodgrain and suddenly the better selling wagon switched from Olds to Buick.   Prior to the 91 - 96 B-Bodies, the Olds was the best selling of the non-Chevies, followed by Buick and then Pontiac. 

smk4565    321

170 hp from a 5 liter V8.  My how far we have come in 25 years.   Seeing it in the grass makes me think too bad there wasn't an All Road or Cross Country style version.  I would have liked to see this with the Pontiac Montana style body cladding and fake off road credentials.  

Custom Cruiser was only made for 2 years and was by far the slowest selling of the triplets.  GM was actually caught off guard here.  They "modernized" the Custom Cruiser by taking away its famous woodgrain but left it on the Buick.  The traditional buyers of these cars actually liked and wanted the woodgrain and suddenly the better selling wagon switched from Olds to Buick.   Prior to the 91 - 96 B-Bodies, the Olds was the best selling of the non-Chevies, followed by Buick and then Pontiac. 

Really?  I did not know that!  I like the 1984-1990 Oldsmobile Custom Cruisers. They put the seat controls on the door in 1988-1990.  Not only that, they did upgrade some features. The 1991-1992 Custom Cruiser was discontinued  the same year Toronado was in 1992. I wonder why the 1991-1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruisiers did not have steering wheel controls because Ninety Eight, Eight Eight, and Toronado did. The Custom Cruiser of 1991-1992 had most of its parts from Chevrolet Caprice and Buick Roadmaster. The only thing Oldsmobile were :  the wheels, the seats,  the steering wheel, the gauges, and the grille. The door panels were from Chevrolet Caprice, the instrumentation panel was shared with Buick Roadmaster.   The body was shared among all three. 

They are harder to come by dfelt. 

It was a sign of how Oldsmobile got lost in the shuffle. I was shocked Pontiac walked away from that with the Safari. 

Drew Dowdell    4,988

The nice thing about Custom Cruisers was that they were all two-tone body and the vast majority of them had alloy wheels.  Only the LTZ (or whatever equivalent) Caprice Estate could come with two-tone body. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.