FordCosworth

POWER PACKS AVAILABLE FROM FORD PERFORMANCE PARTS FOR 2015-17 MUSTANG GT MODELS

7 posts in this topic

Ford Performance Parts has announced emissions-legal performance calibrations for 2015-2017 Mustang GT. For the first time, calibrations are being offered with various levels of hardware to give customers more options and price points. 

Calibrations are North American Mustang spec ONLY at this time. 

Here are the features and unique content in all three kits:

• Fits 2015-2017 Mustang GT
  • Features exclusive no-lift shift strategy and enhanced throttle response
  • Ford Performance calibrations feature exclusive Ford proprietary software and engineering
  • Ford Performance calibrations are 50 state legal with CARB EO
  • Calibrations available for manual and automatic transmission
  • Allows gear ratio changes up to 4.09:1
  • Automatic calibrations feature optimized performance shift schedule
  • Premium fuel, 91 octane or higher, is required

http://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/media-room/2016/07/power-packs-available-from-ford-performance-parts-for-2015-17-mu.html

http://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-performance-launches-power-packs-for-2015-2017-ford-mustang-gt/

If I read the release correctly, Ford cannot legally make this engine from the factory. So they want their customers to finish building their Camaro-fighter themselves.

Neat trick!

Edited by El Kabong
  • Upvote 1

If I read the release correctly, Ford cannot legally make this engine from the factory. So they want their customers to finish building their Camaro-fighter themselves.

Neat trick!

What do you mean when you say "legally" cannot build the engine from the factory? 

Edit: Nvm, I guess I read a different release than that MT one. I see what you're talking about now. 

"The law prohibits the upgrades from being installed prior to the sale of a new car, so if you want the extra horsepower you’ll need to do it after you leave the dealer lot." From the MT Link. 

Edited by ccap41

Neat trick!

What do you mean when you say "legally" cannot build the engine from the factory? 

Edit: Nvm, I guess I read a different release than that MT one. I see what you're talking about now. 

"The law prohibits the upgrades from being installed prior to the sale of a new car, so if you want the extra horsepower you’ll need to do it after you leave the dealer lot." From the MT Link. 

Is this not how much of the 3rd party after market upgrades work thought? I thought to push beyond the basic EPA framework was when you then moved to 3rd party or performance groups who could do what the OEM could not.

Neat trick!

Is this not how much of the 3rd party after market upgrades work thought? I thought to push beyond the basic EPA framework was when you then moved to 3rd party or performance groups who could do what the OEM could not.

Yeah I think a good chunk of it has to do with the EPA fuel economy ratings. It's probably a hell of a lot cheaper to offer the parts and warranty them to those who want it than it is to go through the re-certification process of both engine and fuel economy. 

While this a good thing to offer, I foresee a lot of warranty issues down the road, being that they want you to pretty much self serve your car and hopefully know what you're doing.

Not really that heavy on hardware, more on calibrations, tunes and light modding. 

But I guess there's OEM support behind it, but seems like something they probably already did for the last-gen with PowerPacks tied to the Boss Models or whatever they calls it.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.