Chevrolet News:2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Produces 650 Horsepower and Pound-Feet

just a few thoughts. even back in '69 the average 20 something joe didnt waltz into a dealership and plop money down on new cars. most needed cosigners, reading my old issues of hemmings muscle machines original owners issues state that in nearly every owners story. insurance premiums also needed to be taken into consideration. most guys that were 20 something owning 69 model cars usually bought them in the mid 70's. im sure someone in that age bracket will nod their head in agreement. my dad was a senior in high school in 76 and owned a 68 ss396 chevelle so theres my basis.

however. these camaros are still huge bangs for the buck. talks of zr-1's in this thread brings up the fact that in 1994 a zr-1 base would set you back $67,443. that got you a 405hp lt5 that could see nearly 195mph. in 1994 my dad traded an 87 monte carlo and sold a 69 and 71 chevy truck to get a new z28 camaro. if i remember it came in right around $22K and that got you 275 hp. the fact that now you can get a v6 camaro for around 30 grand that will flat outrun the 94 z28 means you are still getting a great bang for your buck. the power isnt outpriced. why are people snubbing the v6 camaros when they are darn fine numbers behind them? the fact that this zl1 will come in somewhere in the 50-60K range is a great bang for the buck in the terms of performance compared to what people paid in 94 for the zr-1. the new camaros are a bit out of my price range too but thats what the used car market is for. catfish camaros are a dime a dozen now and a clean 2002 ss camaro can be had for 10 grand easy. slap another 5K in performance parts on it and youll be hanging with the late model camaros all day long.

i feel gm knows what they are doing. they have a good line up of choices for budgets and performance needs. i am scared however to see what the new z28 is going to command. right now is probably the last hurrah for cars of these types, guys who were on the scene in the 80's dark ages of performance are beside themselves looking at these numbers. the end is on the horizon tho, legislation is eventually going to force these cars out im sure. so until that happens im just going to sit back and enjoy the fact we can sit around and argue about them! heheh

• Agree 1

Why is top speed a measurement of super car right now? That's the least cool spec about sports cars unless it's an actually stratospheric number like the veyron or Hennessey Gt(?)

Honestly a figure 8 time is more impressive because of the switchback, accelerating, and braking all play a role. What's the SS vs AMG GT do in a test like that? Hell. We will find out track times between the 1LE and AMG GT before long at MT's best drivers car along with the GT350R.

The 1LE is in BDC? I don't recall any " first drive " or test yet. And I also don't see that package available on Chevy's site either. How could one include a car that's not for sale yet?

Last I heard, the 1LE packages are available in late 2016, on 2017 SS and LT V-6 Camaro.

It was on their SnapChat while they were testing a couple weeks ago. Almost positive it was the 1LE not the ZL1.

I'll try and Google some $h! to figure it out.

Thanks for the reply. Even if it's not the 1LE, but is in fact the ZL1, that car is also not available.

Either way, how can car(s) not out yet, be included in any sort of comparison? BDC has some odd eligibility requirements. More more what Olds says rings true - M/T's credibility is questionable.

How can you question their credibility when there has been zero official information regarding the 2016 best drivers car participants? There is no grand conspiracy here, only huge tinfoil sales. It's silly and half baked to presume otherwise at this point. Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

SMK ~

• 20-yr olds don't buy cars, average buyer age is like 51.

• The 'wallpaper paste' Corolla starts at $18130 with destination, no WAY a 'sporty' new Celica would start at $20K.

The ATP overall for cars is $33K now. Your lense for cars & pricing is cracked.

• Camaro starts right where the lowest possible point the Celica (which is not coming) could : $25,700.

I know most new car buyers are older, and most 20-somethings or the average 20-something isn't buying a $30k new car.  I said the 20-somethings there are buying cars, there are some out there, or maybe even in the 25-34 demographic that are going to buy a new car for $25-29k, there isn't much choice, except a rental spec Camaro or Mustang.

In 2002 a V8 Camaro was $22,300, the same as a Camary XLE.  Todays Camry XLE is like $26,000.  Now todays V6 is also 2002's V8.  In 2014 $24,700 was the price of a Camaro V6, now it is $29k for a base V6.   Nearly $5,000 increase in 2 years.  Put any options on that car (like $1,500 for an automatic transmission) and you get to $35k really quick, even for the 4-cylinder car.  

The Scion tC is $19,300 right now, and has 180 hp, Toyota could easily make a Celica for $20k base.  It is a Corolla chassis with a coupe body and pick a corporate 4-banger to put in there, even the Camry's 4-cylinder/6AT in a 2,900 lb car or whatever a tC weights can feel peppy to drive.  We aren't talking sub 6 second 0-60 time, but it could be a sporty looking car with some fun factor for younger buyers.

And do you think 20 something year olds could have afford Camry XLE price tags?

Like I said...

Civic Si and Golf GTIs were the cars that mommy and daddy bought for them.

How much did those go for?

15 000?

Pontiac Firefly turbos and Cavalier Z24s...

Asuna Sunfires...

Ford Probes too. Those being the most expensive that the average joe 20 year old bought with mommy money!

Camaro LT1 V8s were out of their reach...

A 2002 GTI bas was $19,460, VR6 had an MSRP of $20,845.  The GTI 337 (limited edition) was $22,775.

Base 2002 Camaro $19,015 and the Z28 (LS1 V8) was $23,430.  They were pretty much the same price.

I dont know if you will clearly see it.....and I dont know who gave you that +1...

But both of you need a bonk over the head....

Camaro_zpsgjcqr4js.jpg

Camaro1_zpszs95jyjs.jpg

From the Motor Trend May 1997 issue...from their road test review way back when MT actually kept their data this way.....

• VW GTI/ '96         base price/as tested 16 000/16 700
  • VW GTI VR6 '96   base price/as tested 19 685/20 985
  • Camaro Z28 '96   base price/as tested  19 390/23 956

I dont care what YOU state for 2002.

Ill go with what I got in front of me for 1996...

The regular GTI, which most kid's daddies would buy ENDED at 17 000 max!

The VR6, which I had plenty of friends that owned one, and the Corrado VR6 too, ENDED at 21 000 max!

The BASE 3.8 liter V6 Camaro STARTED at slightly less than 20 000....but we are talking about the LT1 V8, which was CORRECTLY STATED by you but WRONG year...is at 24 000...

You see, you are wrong in several ways (and Im right!):

1. $3000 difference between the VR6 and a whopping $7000 difference for the regular GTI versus the Z28. Hardly is "pretty much the same"
  2.  $3000 was A LOT of money for 1996. Hell, its a HUGE disparity in price today!
  3. From YOUR figures..a BASE GTI rose 3000 dollars from 1996 to 2002, a MSRP VR6 didnt rise at all and was less than $1000 difference from the 4 banger, (BULLSHYTE) and the Camaro also stayed the same price 6 years later meaning the LT1 and the LS1 were the same price (BULLSHYTE!!!)

Like I said...young 20 year olds daddies did not fork over the cash for the Z28....they did for a VW GTI non-VR6...

I know this extremely well and first hand....my friends were those kinds of 20 year olds!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

Why is top speed a measurement of super car right now? That's the least cool spec about sports cars unless it's an actually stratospheric number like the veyron or Hennessey Gt(?)

Honestly a figure 8 time is more impressive because of the switchback, accelerating, and braking all play a role. What's the SS vs AMG GT do in a test like that? Hell. We will find out track times between the 1LE and AMG GT before long at MT's best drivers car along with the GT350R.

The 1LE is in BDC? I don't recall any " first drive " or test yet. And I also don't see that package available on Chevy's site either. How could one include a car that's not for sale yet?

Last I heard, the 1LE packages are available in late 2016, on 2017 SS and LT V-6 Camaro.

It was on their SnapChat while they were testing a couple weeks ago. Almost positive it was the 1LE not the ZL1.

Thanks for the reply. Even if it's not the 1LE, but is in fact the ZL1, that car is also not available.

Either way, how can car(s) not out yet, be included in any sort of comparison? BDC has some odd eligibility requirements. More more what Olds says rings true - M/T's credibility is questionable.

How can you question their credibility when there has been zero official information regarding the 2016 best drivers car participants? There is no grand conspiracy here, only huge tinfoil sales. It's silly and half baked to presume otherwise at this point.
Every car was on SnapChat. I just don't remember them all but I believe R8, GT350R, 1LE, some AMG GT, GTR, I think the new 718 Cayman, and I guarantee one or two I'm missing. I think maybe one of the new McLarens as well.. It was about a month ago when they were testing them all.
  • Agree 1

How can you question their credibility when there has been zero official information regarding the 2016 best drivers car participants? There is no grand conspiracy here, only huge tinfoil sales. It's silly and half baked to presume otherwise at this point.

Every car was on SnapChat. I just don't remember them all but I believe R8, GT350R, 1LE, some AMG GT, GTR, I think the new 718 Cayman, and I guarantee one or two I'm missing. I think maybe one of the new McLarens as well.. It was about a month ago when they were testing them all.

That is not the issue here though. He is saying the mere inclusion of the 1LE is an indication of bias (or credibility issues) on MTs part when there is no proof of such. That kind of conspiracy theory thinking needs to stay on other sites. It is way played out here.

Edited by surreal1272

That is not the issue here though. He is saying the mere inclusion of the 1LE is an indication of bias (or credibility issues) on MTs part when there is no proof of such. That kind of conspiracy theory thinking needs to stay on other sites. It is way played out here.

Please don't tell me my opinion isn't valid.

Thank you.

( strange quoting going on here )

Edited by FordCosworth

Oh yeah the new BMW M4 that was like matte grey with orange..

Edit:

I did a little googling and I found this picture from their SnapChat although I couldn't find anything else. As far as I can remember this is the cars involved but I promise you there was a navy blue with a black hood Camaro and a baby blue Cayman as well that are missing.

Edited by ccap41

So for whatever reason I can't link pictures anymore here. Internet Explorer opens the box to type in the URL but it won't let me click "okay" and Chrome doesn't bring up a full editing text box.

Buuuuuut, if somebody wants to take this link and make it a picture that'd be awesome.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/ccap41/9BD137AE-4629-4BA5-A103-2343299598C9_zps1uz2dsmr.jpg

Thank you.

First, yes the quotes are strange. Don't know what happened there. Second, the evidence contradicts your credibility claim, thus making your opinion on it invalid in this case. Sorry but those are the facts right now. Perhaps claims of bias and credibility should come with actual evidence instead of half baked comments imported from said site.

Edited by surreal1272

Thank you.

First, yes the quotes are strange. Don't know what happened there. Second, the evidence contradicts your credibility claim, thus making your opinion on it invalid in this case. Sorry but those are the facts right now. Perhaps claims of bias and credibility should come with actual evidence instead of half baked comments imported from said site.

Here's one guy using an opinion to tell another their opinion isn't acceptable.

Thats bloody hilarious!!!

Edited by FordCosworth

Thank you.

Here's one guy using an opinion to tell another their opinion isn't acceptable. Thats bloody hilarious!!!

Except that I'm not the one making the claim of bias without proof while the actual evidence contradicts your claim. You'd do well to understand the difference before deciding what is "bloody hilarious" here. Again, you made the claim so back it up with some facts and not here say BS that is merely echoed from users of another site.

Edited by surreal1272

Thank you.

Here's one guy using an opinion to tell another their opinion isn't acceptable. Thats bloody hilarious!!!

Except that I'm not the one making the claim of bias without proof while the actual evidence contradicts your claim. You'd do well to understand the difference before deciding what is "bloody hilarious" here. Again, you made the claim so back it up with some facts and not here say BS that is merely echoed from users of another site.

I asked a question on how a car not available for sale is included in a competition. I said nothing about biased. So please don't put words in my mouth. Including car(s) not available for public consumption, in my opinion, hurts credibility. 

What evidence contradicts my claim? This evidence here? Oh wait...

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/07/2017-chevrolet-camaro-1le-doing-battle-in-best-drivers-car-competition/

Thank you.

I asked a question on how a car not available for sale is included in a competition. I said nothing about biased. So please don't put words in my mouth. Including car(s) not available for public consumption, in my opinion, hurts credibility.

What evidence contradicts my claim? This evidence here? Oh wait...

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/07/2017-chevrolet-camaro-1le-doing-battle-in-best-drivers-car-competition/

Except, again, it does not prove a credibility issue on MTs part. That's the problem here. You're making a credibility claim with no proof of such. Not sure why you're trying to get so bent out of shape over it. You made the claim of credibility. Own up to it.

Edited by surreal1272

It was a statement to the both of you. If you chose to, yet again, take it personally, that's your issue. But, yet again, think about everybody else who wants to discuss the cars or automotive world not the validity of one's opinion and be courteous to everybody else.

You didn't just ask a question, you hounded him for it like you do everybody.

Just agree to disagree that you both feel different about something.. because you two do on most topics anyway.

Well the embargo is off and the 1LE package is a killer option not model for the money in LT or SS form. 

The ZL1 is blindingly fast and while the price is higher it gives a lot for the money.

Is there any rumors of what the 1LE package will cost yet?
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

It was a statement to the both of you. If you chose to, yet again, take it personally, that's your issue. But, yet again, think about everybody else who wants to discuss the cars or automotive world not the validity of one's opinion and be courteous to everybody else.

You didn't just ask a question, you hounded him for it like you do everybody.

Just agree to disagree that you both feel different about something.. because you two do on most topics anyway.

Well the embargo is off and the 1LE package is a killer option not model for the money in LT or SS form. The ZL1 is blindingly fast and while the price is higher it gives a lot for the money.

Is there any rumors of what the 1LE package will cost yet?

You should just worry about yourself instead of what I'm doing. That's what I'm saying. Again, he posed the issue and I merely asked for facts to back it up. That is not "hounding" no matter how much you want that to be the case.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

45k for a 1LE. Doesn't sound terrible. I mean in my opinion, anything over 40k is an expensive car because 2 doors and limited capability doing anything other than $h!'n and get'n but should be a great performer for the money!

And, thank you!

• Agree 1

45k for a 1LE. Doesn't sound terrible. I mean in my opinion, anything over 40k is an expensive car because 2 doors and limited capability doing anything other than $h!'n and get'n but should be a great performer for the money!

And, thank you!

Anything over $25K is expensive anymore. If you were born earlier it would be $20 and even $10K depending on the era. 

And, thank you!

Anything over $25K is expensive anymore. If you were born earlier it would be $20 and even $10K depending on the era.
Very true. I honestly couldn't imagine spending north of 30k on a vehicle. Most of that is just the insane depreciation they take. Edited by ccap41
  • Agree 1

Basically these two cars have the GT350 fighting a two-front battle. The 1LE will match its performance for a lower cost, and the 1LE will start just above a loaded Shelby and annihilate it.

1.02g for both Camaro variants. Insanity

Huh?

The 1LE will start just above a loaded Shelby and annihilate it? 

I think you mean ZL1. And in that case, I'm more interested in seeing how that car and the Hellcat compare...a more direct competitor.

Edited by FordCosworth
  • Disagree 1

Basically these two cars have the GT350 fighting a two-front battle. The 1LE will match its performance for a lower cost, and the 1LE will start just above a loaded Shelby and annihilate it.

Huh?

I think you mean ZL1. And in that case, I'm more interested in seeing how that car and the Hellcat compare...a more direct competitor.

It will kill a Hellcat and it is more likely to go up against the GT350R than the Hellcat anyway.

• Agree 1

Huh?

But if you ask Bong he said the weights are similar or some crap so they have to compete.. *rolls eyes*
  • Agree 1

Huh?

But if you ask Bong he said the weights are similar or some crap so they have to compete.. *rolls eyes*

Right. I forgot about that. Wasn't there something about the weight distribution also makes them competitors too?

:confused0071:  

Huh?

He is referring to the 1LE package on the 1SS coupe (in the first part). The second mention of the 1LE was clearly meant as the ZL1.

Wow, Sorry for the near triple post.. internet must have been acting up because it never said it posted.. oh well now!

I thought you were just trying to hammer home how absurd that comment was.

;)

Nope, My work computer no longer likes this site for whatever reason. I can't use the full editor for typing and I can't add links or pictures anymore. Well, I have to be in the "BBCode Mode" to make a link and even quote for whatever reason.
  • Agree 1

I see there is a pot and kettle meeting.

Kitchen ware is 2 isles over

/aisles

...and now we're tit-for-tat on post oopsies.

But the Camaro is still kicking the crap outta he Shelby, regardless of variant.

Seriously-the ZL1 is supposed to be the variant that ISN'T the hardcore trackrat. And it is STILL projected to outgun the Shelby GT350 in lateral g.

Oh wow

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

I see there is a pot and kettle meeting.

Kitchen ware is 2 isles over

/aisles

...and now we're tit-for-tat on post oopsies.

But the Camaro is still kicking the crap outta he Shelby, regardless of variant.

Seriously-the ZL1 is supposed to be the variant that ISN'T the hardcore trackrat. And it is STILL projected to outgun the Shelby GT350 in lateral g.

Oh wow

I think the 1LE SS will also do it for much much less. 

Makes me ponder the abilities of the coming Z. It will be very track tuned and we already know it will have massive down force. 

I STOPPED doing numbers slightly over a decade ago.

I realized and learned that Any Given Sunday, performance numbers WILL vary because of many many many factors.

These factors change from one speed track to the next, from one moment to the next, minutes later and even vary the same moment because even the side by side tracks will be different to each other.

Day temperatures, barometer readings, sea level, oxygen levels, driver performances, tires...old, new, shredded, not properly warmed up, racing slicks, stock street tires, prepped track versus street quality road surfaces...a surface full of tire debris or a spillage of some type of liquid be it fuel, oil, prestone, and the clean up crew  cleaned it up properly or didnt or the clean-up residue is still present or the remnants of the spillled liquid is still there... the car itself not being a consistent performer....see the C4 Corvette  ZR-1.... yada yada yada...

However...

Just to cool down 'Bong's jets about the Camaro ZL-1 because he likes to bash the Mustang so much....

http://blog.caranddriver.com/zl1-derful-chevy-prices-camaro-with-650-horsepower-lt4-from-62135/

From CarandDriver using Chevy's probably conservative figures...

Chevrolet estimates that, when it’s equipped with the optional 10-speed automatic transmission, the LT4-powered Camaro ZL1 coupe will reach 60 mph from a standstill in 3.5 seconds and will pass the quarter-mile pole at 127 mph after 11.4 seconds. Meanwhile, Chevy says its sticky tires are expected to help the ZL1 grip the pavement at a maximum of 1.02 g. (Quick note: Such figures are subject to the testing methods and to the diameter of the skidpad used; our own tests usually measure lateral grip on a 300-foot skidpad.)

Compared with a Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat with an automatic transmission that we tested two years ago, these manufacturer claims for the ZL1 better what we pulled from FCA’s 707-hp coupe by 0.1 second to 60 mph, as well as 0.3 second and 1 mph in the quarter-mile. Although we’re hesitant to rely on Chevrolet’s maximum grip figure, it’s worth noting that our long-term Camaro SS tops the Hellcat’s maximum skidpad lateral-g rating by 0.06 g. Expect the ZL1 to be even grippier when it goes on sale at the end of the year with a base price of $62,135 for the coupe and $69,135 for the convertible.

The Hellcat was PROVEN to do 11.2 @ 125 MPH on skinny ass tires and a curb weight of 4400lbs...on a race prepped track

http://blog.caranddriver.com/0-to-1320-feet-in-what-chrysler-posts-2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-14-mile-time/

Huge performance numbers here for both cars....

But like I said....

'Bong likes toot toot toot the excellence of execution card....

Take note that I dont give a shyte about performance numbers because:

I STOPPED doing numbers slightly over a decade ago.

I realized and learned that Any Given Sunday, performance numbers WILL vary because of many many many factors.

These factors change from one speed track to the next, from one moment to the next, minutes later and even vary the same moment because even the side by side tracks will be different to each other.

Day temperatures, barometer readings, sea level, oxygen levels, driver performances, tires...old, new, shredded, not properly warmed up, racing slicks, stock street tires, prepped track versus street quality road surfaces...a surface full of tire debris or a spillage of some type of liquid be it fuel, oil, prestone, and the clean up crew  cleaned it up properly or didnt or the clean-up residue is still present or the remnants of the spillled liquid is still there... the car itself not being a consistent performer....see the C4 Corvette  ZR-1.... yada yada yada...

This is SOLELY to keep 'Bong from using stupid childish superlatives like "annihilate"....

Alpha Camaro ZL-1 should  EASILY be ANNIHILATING a soon to be 3 year old Hellcat that weighs 4400 lbs that everybody by now knows that the Challenger uses crappy, skinny assed tires...

FAIL FOR ZL-1 is how I sees it....

(which I really dont, I just thought Id play the same childish game he does!)

• Agree 2