• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

Kia News: Kia Plans On Launching GT Models Around the World

Kia is planning to follow Hyundai with offering a range of performance models around the world. However, Kia isn't planning to make them as hardcore as Hyundai's upcoming N models.

Hyundai and Kia’s performance development boss Albert Biermann tells Autocar that Kia's GT models will differ Hyundai's N models as they aren't designed to be taken on a racetrack. This means GT models will likely not see such tech as an electronically controlled limited slip differential that will be coming on the European-market i30 N Plus. What they will see is improvements in terms of performance, handling, and looks.

Biermann admits that “GT is not right for all Kia models," but most of Kia's mainstream lineup will likely see a GT variant. Some of the models likely to get a GT variant include the next-generation Rio, Optima, and the next-generation ProCeed (unrelated to the Forte compact).

"The Ceed GT is a very balanced car, but we are a few years further down the road, and if we were to engineer it now it would have some more spice to it.”

Biermann also revealed that standard Kia models will get different chassis settings from their Hyundai brethren as a way to differentiate them.

“Kia is meant to be more emotional than Hyundai and we have to make cars that reflect that when you drive them,” said Biermann.

Source: Autocar

View full article

Sounds like Kia GT line will be what Chevy did with SS on everything. I truly hope it works for them as it did not for Chevy.

"Kia" and "GT" together makes me giggle.

Agree, a GT as a Kia just makes me laugh also as it does not fit in my head or in the real world of their auto's based on their reputation.

Nooooo, plenty of 'regular' cars have been adorned with the 'GT' badge, but they've almost always had a performance heritage. Kia merely has a 'LCD' image.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Kia surprised everyone over the weekend by revealing the new 2020 Telluride during New York Fashion week. This particular model was dressed up by Texan fashion designer Brandon Maxwell complete with various off-road features, leather-wrapped door handles, and a set of roof-mounted luggage. Pull off those various touches and we can see that Kia has kept most of the design from the Telluride concept shown at the 2016 Detroit Auto Show. The interior looks to be quite premium with new center stack design and large infotainment system. There will be seating for up to eight people.
      Kia has said the production model will have a V6 engine - whether that is a naturally-aspirated or a twin-turbo version remains to be seen. We know Hyundai will have their own version of the Telluride called the Palisade.
      The Telluride is expected to debut at the 2019 Detroit Auto Show in January, with production to begin at Kia's West Point, GA later in the year.
      Source: Kia

All-New Kia Telluride Makes Texas-Sized Statement on Brandon Maxwell's Runway At New York Fashion Week
      Kia’s Largest and Most Refined SUV Confirmed for U.S. with Production in West Point, GA Influenced by fashion designer Brandon Maxwell’s latest Texas-inspired runway collection, a ranch-ready Telluride with saddle-like leather accents debuted at New York Fashion Week Penned at Kia’s U.S. design studio, the Telluride production model is scheduled to arrive in showrooms in early 2019 Together with Maxwell, Kia is donating substantial funding to the public school system of Marfa, Texas, where Maxwell designed his SS’19 collection IRVINE, Calif., September 8, 2018 – Breaking new ground, a bespoke version of Kia Motors America’s largest and most refined SUV – the all-new 2020 Telluride – made its first public appearance today at fashion designer Brandon Maxwell’s New York Fashion Week show. Created by Kia’s U.S. design studio in Irvine, California, the customized Telluride that appeared on the runway drew influence from Maxwell’s inspiration for the Spring Summer 2019 collection: Texas.
      “Telluride summits Kia’s SUV lineup and forged a surprising new path with its runway debut at New York Fashion Week,” said Saad Chehab, vice president of marketing communications, Kia Motors America. “Only a brand as forward-thinking as Kia could collaborate with Brandon Maxwell to launch the Telluride ahead of its official debut at the North American International Auto Show in January.”
      The eight passenger Telluride production model – which will be assembled at Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia – will provide a new, V6-powered option that is several inches longer and wider than Kia’s award-winning, seven passenger Sorento midsize SUV.          
      For Brandon Maxwell, the combination of childhood nostalgia and an exclusive preview of Kia’s largest and most refined SUV provided an opportunity to give back to the Marfa, Texas, community.
      “My Mom drove me to school in East Texas in a Kia Sedona, and my adoration for the brand runs deep,” said Maxwell. “When I left Marfa, Texas, where I designed my SS’19 collection, I started talking with Kia. I wanted a partner who could help fill a need in Marfa’s public school system and Kia was looking to create a unique integration for their new Telluride. It was a natural fit as Kia has a long history of philanthropic initiatives that support education. Kia is not just funding necessary technological purchases and educational programming to give the children of Marfa the quality education they deserve, but also providing a vehicle for local teachers’ use. I am honored to collaborate with Kia Motors.”
      The one-of-a-kind Telluride featured in the show provides a thought-provoking glimpse into the creative process that takes place when designers in separate industries collaborate. This specially tailored Telluride includes several nods to Maxwell’s Texas roots, including natural wood interior trim and saddle-inspired double-stitched leather adornments on the dash, door panels and grab handles. Similar leather details cover the outside rearview mirrors and door handles. Outside, the Telluride’s deep green paint reflects the color of the concept vehicle that debuted in Detroit two years ago. Custom front and rear bumpers, skidplates and sidestep sills exude a ranch-ready look that’s backed up with a hidden winch and a snorkel for deep-river fording. Burly 265/50R-20 off-road tires wrap around flat-black alloy wheels and the spare tire has been custom mounted to the rear hatch, which opens to a metal- and leather-trimmed cargo area. A custom wood and aluminum roof rack with a beautiful custom leather tow strap tongue provide the perfect finishing touches.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Kia surprised everyone over the weekend by revealing the new 2020 Telluride during New York Fashion week. This particular model was dressed up by Texan fashion designer Brandon Maxwell complete with various off-road features, leather-wrapped door handles, and a set of roof-mounted luggage. Pull off those various touches and we can see that Kia has kept most of the design from the Telluride concept shown at the 2016 Detroit Auto Show. The interior looks to be quite premium with new center stack design and large infotainment system. There will be seating for up to eight people.
      Kia has said the production model will have a V6 engine - whether that is a naturally-aspirated or a twin-turbo version remains to be seen. We know Hyundai will have their own version of the Telluride called the Palisade.
      The Telluride is expected to debut at the 2019 Detroit Auto Show in January, with production to begin at Kia's West Point, GA later in the year.
      Source: Kia

All-New Kia Telluride Makes Texas-Sized Statement on Brandon Maxwell's Runway At New York Fashion Week
      Kia’s Largest and Most Refined SUV Confirmed for U.S. with Production in West Point, GA Influenced by fashion designer Brandon Maxwell’s latest Texas-inspired runway collection, a ranch-ready Telluride with saddle-like leather accents debuted at New York Fashion Week Penned at Kia’s U.S. design studio, the Telluride production model is scheduled to arrive in showrooms in early 2019 Together with Maxwell, Kia is donating substantial funding to the public school system of Marfa, Texas, where Maxwell designed his SS’19 collection IRVINE, Calif., September 8, 2018 – Breaking new ground, a bespoke version of Kia Motors America’s largest and most refined SUV – the all-new 2020 Telluride – made its first public appearance today at fashion designer Brandon Maxwell’s New York Fashion Week show. Created by Kia’s U.S. design studio in Irvine, California, the customized Telluride that appeared on the runway drew influence from Maxwell’s inspiration for the Spring Summer 2019 collection: Texas.
      “Telluride summits Kia’s SUV lineup and forged a surprising new path with its runway debut at New York Fashion Week,” said Saad Chehab, vice president of marketing communications, Kia Motors America. “Only a brand as forward-thinking as Kia could collaborate with Brandon Maxwell to launch the Telluride ahead of its official debut at the North American International Auto Show in January.”
      The eight passenger Telluride production model – which will be assembled at Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia – will provide a new, V6-powered option that is several inches longer and wider than Kia’s award-winning, seven passenger Sorento midsize SUV.          
      For Brandon Maxwell, the combination of childhood nostalgia and an exclusive preview of Kia’s largest and most refined SUV provided an opportunity to give back to the Marfa, Texas, community.
      “My Mom drove me to school in East Texas in a Kia Sedona, and my adoration for the brand runs deep,” said Maxwell. “When I left Marfa, Texas, where I designed my SS’19 collection, I started talking with Kia. I wanted a partner who could help fill a need in Marfa’s public school system and Kia was looking to create a unique integration for their new Telluride. It was a natural fit as Kia has a long history of philanthropic initiatives that support education. Kia is not just funding necessary technological purchases and educational programming to give the children of Marfa the quality education they deserve, but also providing a vehicle for local teachers’ use. I am honored to collaborate with Kia Motors.”
      The one-of-a-kind Telluride featured in the show provides a thought-provoking glimpse into the creative process that takes place when designers in separate industries collaborate. This specially tailored Telluride includes several nods to Maxwell’s Texas roots, including natural wood interior trim and saddle-inspired double-stitched leather adornments on the dash, door panels and grab handles. Similar leather details cover the outside rearview mirrors and door handles. Outside, the Telluride’s deep green paint reflects the color of the concept vehicle that debuted in Detroit two years ago. Custom front and rear bumpers, skidplates and sidestep sills exude a ranch-ready look that’s backed up with a hidden winch and a snorkel for deep-river fording. Burly 265/50R-20 off-road tires wrap around flat-black alloy wheels and the spare tire has been custom mounted to the rear hatch, which opens to a metal- and leather-trimmed cargo area. A custom wood and aluminum roof rack with a beautiful custom leather tow strap tongue provide the perfect finishing touches.
    • By William Maley
      With Ford planning on dropping most of its cars except for one, the automaker is making changes to its advertising strategy, Automotive News is reporting that Ford has ended nationwide marking for the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, and Taurus. The company is also dialing back spending in certain regions. Mark LaNeve, Ford's vice president of U.S. marketing, sales, and service tells AN that the money will be used on the Mustang, EcoSport, and new models coming in the pipeline.
      "It allows us to focus our resources. If we can take that money from sedans, where we have a middle-of-the-road position, to be the leading brand in SUVs, that'd be a really good position," said LaNeve.
      According to executives, deciding to end sales of most their car lineup was the right move, sighting August sales numbers as an example. Sales of Ford cars dropped 21 percent last month. Meanwhile, pickup and van sales rose 5.9 percent, and utilities increased 20 percent.
      Ford has already stopped production of the North American Focus, and will end Fiesta and Taurus production by the middle of next year. The Fusion will have a slow death as executives say the model will stick around for a couple more years. The lack of national ads will likely hurt sales, LaNeve said the company would support dealers by offering various incentives on the model.
      "Obviously, we can't let the dealers just sit on the inventory. We'll keep them competitive on incentives, but we're certainly not spending money there in a way where we'd be driving the market. We're accepting the share we've got."
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      With Ford planning on dropping most of its cars except for one, the automaker is making changes to its advertising strategy, Automotive News is reporting that Ford has ended nationwide marking for the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, and Taurus. The company is also dialing back spending in certain regions. Mark LaNeve, Ford's vice president of U.S. marketing, sales, and service tells AN that the money will be used on the Mustang, EcoSport, and new models coming in the pipeline.
      "It allows us to focus our resources. If we can take that money from sedans, where we have a middle-of-the-road position, to be the leading brand in SUVs, that'd be a really good position," said LaNeve.
      According to executives, deciding to end sales of most their car lineup was the right move, sighting August sales numbers as an example. Sales of Ford cars dropped 21 percent last month. Meanwhile, pickup and van sales rose 5.9 percent, and utilities increased 20 percent.
      Ford has already stopped production of the North American Focus, and will end Fiesta and Taurus production by the middle of next year. The Fusion will have a slow death as executives say the model will stick around for a couple more years. The lack of national ads will likely hurt sales, LaNeve said the company would support dealers by offering various incentives on the model.
      "Obviously, we can't let the dealers just sit on the inventory. We'll keep them competitive on incentives, but we're certainly not spending money there in a way where we'd be driving the market. We're accepting the share we've got."
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      Ford's original plan for the GT was to build the model for two years, with 250 units being built each year. Then Ford extended the production run to four years and expanded the total number of vehicles built to 1,000. So how is Ford doing on their production targets for the GT? According to Motor Authority, they haven't gone as planned.
      This information was first brought to light by a GT message board claiming Ford didn't reach their 250 unit goal for 2017. Motor Authority reached out to Ford and a spokesman confirmed that only 137 GTs were built last year. Why the delay?
      "This is a hand-built supercar, which we are committed to deliver flawlessly. We built into our process an extended ramp-up due to several factors such as global homologation testing and supplier constraints," the spokesman said in a statement.
      Multimatic, the company that is building the GT for Ford explained they "hadn't built cars on this scale before" and it them some time to meet its goal of building one car per work day. The company only reached this goal in the middle of last year. Issues with suppliers and minor issues also played a role. Multimatic did say that everything is on schedule for the full run of 250 vehicles for 2018.
      At the current pace, this would only mean Ford would produce 888 Its, 112 units short from their original goal. The Ford spokesman said they are sticking with their goal of 1,000 vehicles. This likely means Ford will extend production one more year to meet it.
      Source: Motor Authority

View full article
  • My Clubs