When Industries Collide.

So there is this web site that covers 25 cars inspired by airplanes in the US.

Talk about some lovely rides and concepts.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/05/25-cars-inspired-by-airplanes-and-fighter-jets/

But are you thinking about the Mustang fighter that inspired the Mustang car?

Mustang inspired auto.png

Or....And I know you said same era as the P51 Mustang...which is WW2 propellar era. But the jet age did start during WW2, so....not only did Oldsmobile do the rocket theme logo and Rocket 88 name plates...

Me-262-first.jpg

Ford had afterburner tail-lights in the 1950s and 1960s

ford-thunderbird-8.jpg

Chrysler actually did have a turbine engine in their car and stylized accordingly

maxresdefault.jpg

And modern Ford....

gallery-1431968982-roa060115dpt-go-fordg

Edited by oldshurst442

Okay...Ill do another:  But this one is just for fun as I know this is not it. The Jet engine one is a legit response and guess.  I like this thread so Id like to continue posting pics of airplanes....

Junkers Ju-87 Stuka and Vought F4U Corsair

6540190.jpg

1194058-bigthumbnail.jpg

2h8rT4M.png

Corsairs.jpg

With Gullwing doors and scissor doors

article-2424437-1BE4F390000005DC-412_634

Mercedes-Benz-AMG-SLS-electric-drive-gul

delorean-2015-096_0.jpg

6670385bankoboev-ru_belyi_lamborghini_co

images?imageId=8449063&width=1000&height

Synopsis to date ~
• I believe by "right era", the reference was to the Ford, not the P-51.
• '20 year industry-wide trend' means it started around 1995 or so. It went industry-wide, but today only 1 brand still uses a trace of it.

• Hm-mmmmmm……… Nothing bubbling to the surface for me.

Well....I also thought about the 20 year thing placing the era at 1995 as well, but because I know my aircraft well, I know that airplanes in 1995 were not exactly new. All the designs in 1995 that flew were from the 1970s. F-16, F-18, MiG 29...And these airplanes were massaged designs from the 1960s  such as the F-15 and MiG 25...

Even the SR-71 is from the 1960s...the 1980s and 1990s were just about enhanced versions of the 1970s aircraft. Yes, this is an oversimplified revision, but this aint a history lesson on military aircraft either...

But the next generation aircraft..like the Stealth Bomber and the F-117 started in the 1990s and that is why y first post went to the SR-71 (first attempt at stealth) and to the F-117 with Lamborghini.

Sharp edges on cars is also used by Cadillac and Acura. Hardly industry wide, but I took a shot.

Yeah....I have nothing. I gave it all that I had. I have no idea what 1995ish airplane design made it into cars today. Like I said, the F-16, F-18 and MiG 29 were  1970s designs that what we have today are just better avionics and eletronics on these aircraft.

The Stealth stuff is truly late 1980s, 1990s stuff.

The we get the delta winged Mirages from the French. 1960s. Sorry, 1950s as Canada did the Avrow Arrow.

EDIT

I see that it is indeed the WW2 era.... .

OK...bubble canopies...

The Spitfire and P-51D started with the bubble canopy thing.

Spitfire_22.jpg

What?

Wrap around windshields and/or bubble top roofs?

61-Chevy-Impala-SS_409-DV-13-MM-01.jpg

On modern cars?

01-pagani-huarya-review-1.jpg

2014-McLaren-P1.jpg

They both have some sort of bubble top roof....

Edited by oldshurst442

I'll take a crack at this.

The '83 Ford Thunderturd was one of the earliest cars to have "aircraft-inspired" doorframes that wrapped into the roof to improve aerodynamics.

1280px-Ninth_gen_Ford_Thunderbird,_rear_

As for which aircraft that was supposed to be cribbed from, I have no idea. Maybe a Cessna 172?

However, I am confident this answer is probably definitely wrong.

Ill do yet another one.  Im enjoying  searching for and pics of airplanes for a change.
I KNOW this aint it either, just doing this for pure fun for you folk and for me.

The single wing. Bi-Planes and Tri-Planes are sooooooo WW1.

Single wings started out just before WW2 in the 1930s.

Me_Bf_109.jpg

Curtiss_P-40_Warhawk_USAF.JPG

Front air splitters

TC10026-LG239_02.jpg

c7aprsplitter1016.jpg

Edited by oldshurst442

54 minutes ago, Intrepidation said:

The exhaust thing is a neat comparison to make actually.

Thank-you.

Even though some of my answers are just for fun, I tried to at least make logical connections.

Like the exhaust comparison. It was a serious and legit answer. The fire part was of pure levity though.

12 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Some Very cool answers, I am excited to eventually learn what it is! :P 

Yes. Me too as I dont know where else to go with comparisons....

Edited by oldshurst442

Well I think its been long enough. The answer is the Lockeed P-38 Lightning.

p-38.jpg

In the 1950S, General Motors design became a fantasia of fighter-plane imagery: canopy-like wraparound windshields, simulated jet intakes, afterburner exhaust ports and enough towering tail fins for an entire wing of United States Air Defense Command interceptors.

We can trace many of those cues back to a day in 1941, when GM styling vice president Harley Earl took a group of senior stylists to Michigan's Selfridge Field, home of the Army Air Corps' 1st Pursuit Group ( Fighter), to see a remarkable new aircraft. To Lockheed, it was the Model 22; the Army called it the P-38 Lightning.

Unless you were a dedicated aircraft spotter, most contemporary fighters looked more alike than different, but the P-38 could have flown out of the pages of “Buck Rogers.” It was an imposing and unusual sight, with its cockpit in a narrow pod between two turbo-charged Allison V12 engines, mounted in distinctive twin booms with short vertical fins.

It's a sign of Earl's influence (and perhaps the fact that former GM president William Knudsen had recently been appointed director of production by the undersecretary of war) that his stylists were able to study this new, still-secret airplane, which they did with enthusiasm. The P-38 had many interesting details, including the fins and radiator air intakes on each boom, but Cadillac chief stylist Bill Mitchell, who was there that day, said later that the designers were equally taken with the way the twin booms created a unity of line from nose to tail.

From inspiration to execution

Aircraft-inspired-Cadillac-classics.jpg

Among the designers who visited Selfridge was Frank Hershey, then the head of GM's special projects and exports studio. Although Hershey would depart to become a naval officer, he didn't forget about the P-38. Both before and after his Navy service, Hershey's studio developed various design studies incorporating P-38 themes, including a 1944 proposal Hershey and Ned Nickles developed for Vauxhall, whose rear fenders had simulated chrome air intakes and stubby fins with integral taillights.

Hershey did a stint as interim head of Cadillac design in early 1945, but the fender and tail-fin treatment he and Nickles devised in special projects didn't find its way onto a production Cadillac design until later that year, after Mitchell returned from the Navy and resumed his previous role as Cadillac studio chief.

In late November 1945, GM was virtually shut down by a UAW strike. During the labor stoppage, Hershey, who knew the Cadillac team had just started work developing the all-new 1948 models, invited Cadillac stylists and modelers to continue their work at his 60-acre farm outside Detroit.

The renderings and scale models that emerged over the next four months from the studio in Hershey's basement all sported P-38-inspired fenders and tail fins. Hershey said later that the fighter also influenced the front end, but that connection is harder to see, overshadowed by Cadillac's tombstone grille. In any case, the fins added a rakish touch to a handsome car.

Unlike some later GM designs, the Caddy's aircraft origins weren't obvious, but the '48 Cadillac looked sleek, streamlined and sporty. As a bit of design continuity, it even incorporated a concealed fuel filler beneath the left taillight, a Cadillac feature since 1941.

Trouble at higher altitudes

The tail fins were a stylist's touch and met considerable resistance from Cadillac management and engineers. Nicholas Dreystadt, the division's general manager, had serious reservations about the fins, as did chief engineer Jack Gordon. Earl wasn't fond of the fins, either. They were considered a bit gimmicky—not only that, they were risky in what was a conservative market segment; the disastrous Chrysler Airflow just a decade earlier had demonstrated the potential consequences of outpacing the public's tastes.

According to Hershey, at one point Earl angrily insisted that Hershey remove the fins, which he mulishly refused to do. When Earl returned a few days later, however, he was relieved rather than infuriated to find out that Hershey had ignored his order: GM president Charlie Wilson and chairman Alfred P. Sloan had liked the fins, concluding (correctly) that they would be another signature styling feature for Cadillac.

Development of the full-size clays continued throughout the summer of 1946. Gordon, who replaced Dreystadt as general manager in June, still wasn't happy with the fins, and although he didn't dare order their deletion, he indeed pushed Mitchell to make them less prominent. Mitchell eventually tricked Gordon into thinking that the fins on the clay model had been lowered by raising one fin to make the other appear shorter.

There had been a similar battle over the 1938 Sixty Special, which some executives had worried was too advanced for Cadillac customers. Those fears had proven to be unfounded, and so would Dreystadt and Gordon's concerns about the tail fins. Buyer response was extremely favorable and the '48 Cadillac sold well, despite a late introduction and a short model year.

Rise and fall

Aircraft-inspired-Cadillac-classics.jpg

By the time the public got a glimpse of the Cadillac's fins, their inspiration was on its way out: Only a handful of Lightnings remained in service by 1948. The P-38 had racked up an impressive number of kills in the Pacific, but newer fighters made it obsolete.

The era of the automotive tail fin was just beginning. Dynamic styling helped Cadillac become America's No. 1 luxury brand from 1949 on, and the tail fin's close association with Cadillac undoubtedly contributed to the feature's booming popularity. By the mid-'50s, it was the executives who were pushing for fins, over the stylists' protests.

Cadillac's tail fins began to grow in 1955, reaching a delirious apogee in 1959. Cadillac designers actually considered abandoning the fins for the limited-production 1959-60 Eldorado Brougham, but Earl vetoed that idea, saying that Cadillac was not Cadillac without them.

Earl retired in late 1958, and after that, GM's air force was swiftly grounded. The wraparound windshields and “Flash Gordon” gewgaws disappeared by the mid-'60s; the fins receded and then went the way of the P-38 that inspired them—a symbol, like the P-38 itself, of an idea whose time had come and gone.

Its worth noting that Cadillac still uses tail fins in a very subtle way with their tail light lenses. In this small way the P-38's legacy as an automotive inspiration lives on.

Hope you had fun with this!

• Agree 1

:metal: That is awesome, very cool, I had forgot about this plane but did love it too just like my all time favorite Corsair with the wings that make the plan look like it has a W for the complete wing assembly.

Very Cool :metal:

My 'problem' is that I only consider sheet metal that projects either up or rearward from the car's body to be fins, and lenses (tail lights) that do so to NOT be. IE: a '59 Cadillac has 2 fins, not 6.
59BlackCaddy03.jpg

So I don't see any sort of fins on any modern vehicles. This is also how the recognized last fins on Cadillacs is 1964- subsequent designs were 'extended edges' as opposed to fins.

But I'm a fin purist. ;)

I also have a problem with this too...as I mentioned fins...like my second post. NO, I did not mention the P-38, I mentioned the B-25 and B-24.

Bill Mitchel and Harley Earl could mention P-38 all they want for their inspiration....But there are several aircraft during WW2 to have dual vertical stabilizers.....to boot, I even posted the same year Cadillac as the article. 'Xcept my pic was a coupe rather than a sedan.

From the USA

B-24

29641423.670e844c.640.jpg?r2

B-25

id_bomber_b25_01_700.jpg

P-38

lockheed-p-38-lightning-2.jpg

From the UK

Lancaster

49.jpg

From Germany

Dornier Do 17,  215  and 217

Do17-04.jpg

Messerschmidt BF110

bf110-4.jpg

From The USSR

Petlyakov  Pe-2

petlyakov-pe2-light-bomber.jpg

Its semantics to have said no to me...

As the story goes....only because the P-38 looks to be the more romantic story line because it looks prettier than the others with dual vertical stabilizers...

I personally prefer the North American B-25 Mitchel and the Messerschmidt Bf-110 in looks over the others. The Russian Pe-2 aint too shabby lookin' either.

Yup. I more airplane crazy than I am car crazy.

PS: There are others too. I just dont feel like posting all of them..

Edited by oldshurst442

No he is not 100% correct.

Balthy's POV is dead on!

Cadillac does not use subtle fins anymore. Cadillac uses blade taillights that reflect the past, but fins they are not. Nor do they protrude like fins.

With me, the article states that the P-38 went out of service in 1948...but you know what?

The North American P-51 Mustang AND the North American B-25 Mitchel saw service in Korea. Yeah...that war was between the years 1950-1953...

The B-25 had dual vertical stabilizers...and THAT bomber was probably MORE iconic than the P-38 was...but like I mentioned...saying the P-38 was the inspiration is more romantic because it looked different than the others.

However, the P-38, for those in the know, was a very difficult plane to fly. It was unstable.  And for those in the know, it was not even the first dual vertical stabilizer airplane...

So...what is Harley Earl and Bill Mitchel gonna say? That their inspiration comes from a Nazi airplane? I believe that the Messerschmitt BF 110 is an OLDER design than the P-38. I could mbe wrong though, I don't feel like googling.. What are they gonna say? That the inspiration came from goofy looking bombers?  Although the B-25 is a beautiful aircraft, it does not appear to be as sleek as the P-38...

But that is the thing, there are other dual vertical stabilizer aircraft to put solely the spotlight on the P-38 is disingenuous. People in the know...know better! 

Plus I read other articles that don't give the P-38 credit for the fin crazy 50s...Dual vertical stabilizers in general are credited.

PLUS PLUS...the jet age was upon us anyway...jet airplanes were also an inspiration for the ENTIRE American industry MORE than the fins as Ford did not really give in to this styling, but went all out on the jet engine motif and it does continue today....and I gave many examples of that. My very first post...along with airscoops, the F-16 as well as the P-51 Mustang...

The article states that newer fighters made it obsolete...

The Supermarine Spitfire was an OLDER design and it was a better aircraft...that it why the P-38 never saw action over Europe.

The P-51 plane was a newer design but only became a dominant fighter when the UK proposed to put the Rolls Royce engine in it...

The Messerscmitt BF 109 was also an older airplane than the P-38, but that too was a better aircraft.

The Focke Wolfe FW 190 was a newer airplane, almost as good as the P51D version of the Mustang, with the Merlin engine, and that too was a better airplane than the P-38...

No wonder the P-38 never saw action in Europe.

The Pacific war front...

The Hellcat and other American fighters took over well before the war ended...funny though, in Europe, the BF 109 continued to march on, and that airplane too was woefully obsolete by 1943-1944....but it was a more stable flyer than the P-38 was...

Trust me, during the war, the real people fighting the war, did not like the P38 much...

Edited by oldshurst442

These taillights most certainly protrude from the quarter panels.  They are a subtle, honest throwback.  Plus, whether the P-38 was a successful airplane is irrelevant.  The P-38 is the specific aircraft that inspired GM designers to incorporate fins onto the Cadillac car.

BBtDbiJ.img.png

Edited by ocnblu

P-38 being successful or not is irrelevant...true...

But...since I posted 5-6-7 other WW2 era aircraft with dual vertical stabilizers and there are many many others older than the P-38, and since at least one MORE iconic airplane toughed it out in combat during the 1950s and since other related articles that I have read back in the  EARLY 1980s while I was just 10 years old reading this information crediting ALL dual vertical stabilizers and not just singling out the P-38, because back then...when the war was over and it was only 40 years passed and not 70 years passed as it is in 2016...when the romance of the P-38 is idolized more over the romance of the B-25...because the romance of the B-25 and B-17 was greater than that of the P-38 in the 1980s...then yeah...it is disingenuous to credit the P-38 solely...

Like I said...even if Harley Earl and Bill Mitchel credited the P-38 in the memoirs...what are they to do?

Say that a Nazi machine was an inspiration to the Cadillac...in 1948? When the war against the Nazis ended just 3 years prior?

The P-38 went into service in 1941...

The Messerschmitt BF110 saw action from day one...in 1939...

Surely American newspapers had a photogragh or two of the BF110 when WW2 actually started....in 1939...even though the US entered the war in 1941...

And...I MENTIONED fins....wrong airplane?

BULLSHYTE!

other WW2 era aircraft with dual vertical stabilizers and there are many many others older than the P-38, and since at least one MORE iconic airplane toughed it out in combat during the 1950s and since other related articles that I have read back in the  EARLY 1980s while I was just 10 years old reading this information crediting ALL dual vertical stabilizers and not just singling out the P-38, because back then...when the war was over and it was only 40 years passed and not 70 years passed as it is in 2016...when the romance of the P-38 is idolized more over the romance of the B-25...because the romance of the B-25 and B-17 was greater than that of the P-38 in the 1980s...then yeah...it is disingenuous to credit the P-38 solely...

I wouldn't care as much, but to sit here have someone say to me that I am wrong is just plain....stupid!

Ive had this discussion in 1983-1984 with my buddies.

Two/three/four 10-12 year old nerds talking about WW2 history, airplanes and cars...in 1983/1984...this is old news for me...

And as you could see, I nailed it from the get go...

From the F117/Lamborghini connection because the way the thread was worded, it implied MODERN airplane design languages...and even then, I included 2 aircraft as the SR-71 was the first one...we could say that it was the F117...SEMANTICS is NOT a good way to argue!

Then the OP said it was false...

So I went directly to the fins of the 50s...with a B-25 and B-24...then I SHOWED you folk how many dual vertical stabilizer aircraft really existed during the 1930s and 1940s...with REAL examples of NOT SO SUBTLE DUAL vertical stabilizers in car wings...

Then the OP said NO to that too...

And you know what?

BUBBLE TOP roofs were ALSO a styling theme of the 1950s America wide! And I alos showed MODERN cars with bubble type AIRCRAFT AERODYNAMIC roofs...

Then the op SAID no TO THAT TOO...THEN I WENT AIRPLANE EXHAUST ON YOU FOLK...to which the OP said yeah...that may work also...but no he says...

So yeah...I guess trivia threads are kinda useless when one gets the answer right, but ignores it...and then another argues facts even when presented with PICS and tries to sound intelligent, all in the while...the answer was given from the get go!

No...not the P38...sorry if I burst your bubble in telling ya'll the P-38 is just marketing fluff...ESPECIALLY coming from the designers themselves when it be embarrassing to them to sell us cars that had Nazi elements to them...as the BF110 was an OLDER airplane!!!

Linda, LISTEN... let me ax you something, are you saying that those memoirs are LIES?  The OP is simply axing a question based on his research, and it is pretty widely known amongst car geeks which plane inspired those guys.  Whoever heard of a WTF110 anyway?

Well...DUH! Of course is a BOLD FACED LIE!!!

If Harley Earl and Bill Mitchel was not HONEST about the whole thing...YEAH! ITS A LIE!!!

That is a SWATIKA on one of those stabilizers...

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-669-7340-27,_Flugzeuge_Me_110_%C3%BCber_Budapest.jpg

Im sure both of them did not want to associate Cadillac with the Nazi war machine after the war ended. Before the war...Hitler was alright...Time Life Man of the Year...TWICE!

This is a Dornier DO 15...over Athens, Greece....BEFORE the US entered the war...

Luftwaffe, Two, German, Dornier, Do 17, aircraft, flying, Athens, Acropolis, bomber, Luftwaffe bomber types until - Stock Image

Im sure Harley Earl and Bill Mitchel saw similar photos...

That is the thing...All these Nazi aircraft were OLDER airplanes than the P-38...

One could say that the inspiration was a P-38...even if its straight from the horses mouth...reality tells a different story though...

Edited by oldshurst442

Dude did you read the book excerpt?  It states that the GM guys were shown the P-38 in 1941 when it was brand new and that is the plane that led them to fight for and implement fins on the Cadillac starting in 1948... car designs gestate years before they are released to the pubic.  How are you SURE Bill Mitchell and his cohorts knew about German aircraft before being inspired by the P-38?  Even if they did, maybe the German aircraft did not float their stylistic boats... the German planes you post do not look like the P-38 with its triple fuselage.  This is a silly fight over a perfectly legit trivia thread.

Edited by ocnblu

DUDE...the war started in 1939...I know some of you American folk think that WW2 started in 1941...

Harley Early and Bill Mitchel were not farm boys in Indiana not knowing what is what...

Dude...I READ MANY books on THIS PARTICUALR SUBJECT WAAAAAY BACK IN THE 1980s...I was 10 years old...and the material that I came across state dual vertical stabilizers...ALL OF THEM, NO PARTICULAR aircraft in question...now...I don't remember if those were the EXACT words of Harley and Bill...but REVISIONIST HISTORY is ALWAYS A MUST when it comes down to FACTS!!! And ROMANCE is what is happening here!

And THAT is why I KEEP on MENTIONING DUAL VERTICAL STABILIZERS!!!

DUAL VERTICAL STABILIZERS...

I DID NOT GET THIS ON MY OWN....I GOT IT FROM SOMEWHERE!!!

Yes it is PRETTY SILLY...

ESPECIALLY WHEN I GOT THE RIGHT ANSWER 2 POSTS IN!!! MY FIRST POST WAS ALSO ACCURATE...

Argue all you want with me...my answer is the correct one!

Let me repeat...DUAL VERTICAL STABILIZERS WERE the INSPIRATION for fins...and yes the P-38 had those...so did many other planes...that were older...that Harley and Bill actually saw BEFORE the P-38...it jst makes for a more romantic story to say it was from the forkerd devil of an airplane...that supposedly the Germans called it...but in reality, the P-38 was not all that effective for it to be called the forked devil...

I heard of a joke that WW2 vets used to say...that it was called the forked devil because it killed its own pilot...kinda like how the F-104 was dubbed the widow maker...ironically by the German airforce as well...

Edited by oldshurst442

Can't even keep it civil in trivia thread can we?

I'm well aware of the many twin vertical stabilizer aircraft in existence, however Harley Earl and Bill Mitchel credited the P-38 Lightning, hence why its the answer. Since design is subjective, its perfectly logical to assume that in their eyes, the P-38 was the best/prettiest plane to draw inspiration from. Argue all you want, but you're arguing with two dead guys.

I guess we won't be doing one of these again anytime soon.

NICE JOB.

18Lf3b00f.png

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

I'm re-opening this thread because it was a fun one.

@Intrepidation is correct about the P-38 being the original inspiration for the fins, it doesn't matter that other aeroplanes had dual rear stabalizers, it was the P-38 that inspired the idea.  I've been familiar with the story and knew exactly what he was talking about right in the first post. I've been contemplating a story in my head about the Cadillac fins/blades as a design signature for a while now. It is one of only 2 design themes that I can think of that have lasted as many decades. 

Edit:  And also... keep it civil.  There is no need to argue like children over the answer to a trivia question.

To Further the thread.  I mentioned that the Cadillac fins and blades were only one of two that I could think of that have been around for so long and still in use today.   I don't know the original inspiration for the other one, but who can tell me what it is?   Here are some clues:

It's at the other end of the car.

It debuted on a production car at least 7 years prior to Harley Earl's trip to see the P-38.

I do not know the inspiration for the cue, but it may or may not be aircraft related. 

The cue is still in use today and has been consistently since debut. 

It is not a badge, but it is so associated with this brand, that it might as well be. 

My Favorite Concept was the Cadillac 1959 Cyclone!

1959-Cadillac-Cyclone.jpg

So is it the nose of the car or the points Drew? After all the Cyclone had the first radar avoidance system if memory serves me correct.

9 minutes ago, dfelt said:

My Favorite Concept was the Cadillac 1959 Cyclone!

1959-Cadillac-Cyclone.jpg

So is it the nose of the car or the points Drew? After all the Cyclone had the first radar avoidance system if memory serves me correct.

Are either of those styling cues still in use today?

Just now, dfelt said:

Dual cone no, but the nose is a single cone with electronics behind it. :P

Well that's still not a styling cue used in any car I can think of today... and certainly not any car that has used that cue since at least 1934.

Drew are we talking about the 1934 dual-cowl Phaeton and the roadster?

rarecadillacspebblebeach01.jpg

rarecadillacspebblebeach03.jpg

rarecadillacspebblebeach06.jpg

Course here is a good write up also about the inspiration of the P-38

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/radical-fighter-kick-started-cadillac-design

Now to figure out what went on in 1934! :scratchchin: