Ultimate Dream Garage: Midsize Madness

Yep, I'm going there. With all the recent pieces on the decline of the sedan segment- primarily the midsize one- I thought what better way to honor that classic, one-time quintessential staple of American families than by doing a Dream Garage thread.

So here are the rules-

1) It must have been a car for sale in YOUR market.

2) Any era is allowed.

3) It must be a mainstream brand, midsize family sedan. No compacts, full-sizes, etc. Ignore EPA ratings. We will use model hierarchy and position in market place.

4) Maximum of 5 cars.

5) Try to make these cars fulfill as many roles as possible- sport, family hauling, etc.

EDIT- I WILL ALSO ALLOW WAGON/SPORTBACK VARIANTS OF SAID VEHICLES

2009 Buick Lacrosse Super

Buick-Car-Lacrosse-Super-450946.jpg

1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme International Sedan, 3.4 DOHC with 5-speed manual (SE model pictured)  - Such a sleeper with this setup, all the power and torque of a Taurus SHO in a lighter body.

1994_oldsmobile_cutlass-supreme_sedan_special-edition_rq_oem_1_500.jpg

1990-92 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

mitsubishi_galant-vr-4-monte-carlo-e39a-1990-1992_r1.jpg

2017 Subaru Legacy Outback H6

2017-Subaru-Outback-Touring-front-three-quarter-02.jpg

1983 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale (What? In 1983, that was squarely Mid-size... the Ninety-Eight and Custom Cruiser were the full-size.)

B14DBEAC-1BD6-4980-B49F-533CD058E5AD_2.jpg

If my last pick doesn't count, then I'll just sub in a Final 500 Oldsmobile Intrigue as my collectors car.

autowp.ru_oldsmobile_intrigue_collector's_edition_final_500_1.jpg

32 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Very nice!

I like your idea of the Passat W8 4motion wagon and I'd swap my Subaru out for it as a family hauler if those VWs weren't such maintenance nightmares. 

Another one where I wasn't sure of the rules.  The Charger/Magnum is a large car by EPA standards, and also is at the top of the Dodge food chain, however it regularly sells at prices similar to any other mid-size car out there...... Would that count or no? The reason that gets confusing is that the Accord, which is a mid-size by nearly every measure, is EPA large car in some configurations and sits at the top of the Honda ladder. 

Hmmm...never had a midsize sedan in my life, though many as rentals.  For an oldie, I like my brother's '69 Fairlane sedan, 390 4bbl w/ automatic.  Pretty quick in a plain dark green wrapper with dog dish hubcaps.  I've driven it a few times and it's fun...  

I guess my dream midsize would be a BMW E39 540i or M5.  Though a Merc W124 300 sedan would be good also, I've enjoyed driving my sister's 300CE.

For modern midsizers, I wouldn't kick a Malibu (current or previous generation) or a current gen Focus out of my garage/carport...

30 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I think he's going for mainstream brands, so no Benzes or BMWs would qualify, at least as far as mid-sizers go.... both brands are moving into the mainstream in compacts. 

Ah, missed that...though Audis, Benzes and BMWs are so common around here that they are pretty mainstream...

3 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Ah, missed that...though Audis, Benzes and BMWs are so common around here that they are pretty mainstream...

Yeah, the story last week about the mainstream mid-size sedan segment shrinking in terms of total sales is what spurred him to make this thread.

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah, the story last week about the mainstream mid-size sedan segment shrinking in terms of total sales is what spurred him to make this thread.

That makes me wonder...how are luxury mid size sedan sales going?  Shrinking also?  I would assume so, since luxury CUV ans SUV sales seem to be growing..

The EPA rates it technically as a "compact"... I know you weren't going by just epa ratings or anything but it's at least on the wrong side of size:price:hierarchy "ratio". Everything else sucks in this class. Almost everything just..sucks.. Wait! You chose a damn station wagon! Those are in classes of their own!

Yeah, I thought the LX cars were too big. Oh well.

6 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Mainstream??? So no Luxos above Buick, Lincoln, Acura?

Acura and Lincoln themselves are not included.

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The EPA rates it technically as a "compact"... I know you weren't going by just epa ratings or anything but it's at least on the wrong side of size:price:hierarchy "ratio". Everything else sucks in this class. Almost everything just..sucks.. Wait! You chose a damn station wagon! Those are in classes of their own!

Yeah, I thought the LX cars were too big. Oh well.

I made an addendum to allow for wagon variants. The CC sits at the top of VW's sedan line-up, therefore it is excluded.

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Both of those are coupes.

Sadly for me there is just no passion in this segment. All they seem to be is appliance auto's for the most part. I guess if it has to be a 4 door sedan over 2 door, then I would go with the Chevy SS.

Just now, dfelt said:

Sadly for me there is just no passion in this segment. All they seem to be is appliance auto's for the most part. I guess if it has to be a 4 door sedan over 2 door, then I would go with the Chevy SS.

Breaks the "no top shelf" rule.

30 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yup, it's a pretty terrible segment, for the most part. Even in the compact car segment there are 'hot' versions. I mean the new Fusion Sport is about it now.

• 2 weeks later...

2017 Ford Fusion Sport...even though I read your review on it and it might not be what I was looking for... for it...

It is still a  compelling package non-the-less.

2017-Ford-Fusion-Sport-Price.jpg

A Platinum 2.0 Ecoboost will do as well.

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Frisky....you took the 2005 Altima SE-R before I could...its OK.

Ill do a Nissan Maxima instead.

1995 Nissan Maxima SE

wk9507.1-lg.jpg

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme  International Series or 1996-7 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Both with the 3.4 liter V6 DOHC.

1990_oldsmobile_cutlass-supreme_sedan_in

1996_oldsmobile_cutlass-supreme_sedan_sl

Guys...maybe the Chevy SS is off limits, but not the Pontiac G8 GXP...

31c2e6c52f0ded22a62ec90857120c4c.jpg

Chevy Malibu 2.0T Premier

1459164329-Malibu-front-quarter-tall-gra

I did not want to do Buick Regal since Buick is kinda premium lux.

Yeah, I know....I did Oldsmobile when Oldsmobile was kinda premium lux....well....Oldsmobile is no longer so....Wait a second, I got something in my eye.

article-2060340-0ec143bc00000578-899_468

• Agree 1

This is a tough one for me.  Since the CC is off limits, at least that leaves one extra spot in my top 5 to fill.  I am also only concentrating on FWD models. 

1.  2015+ Chrysler 200S V6

2015-chrysler-200s-road-trip-05-600-001.

1992-1995 Taurus SHO manual trans

1992-1995-ford-taurus-sho.jpg

1997-2003 Grand Prix GTP

Picture011-1.jpg

1998-04 Regal GS

244887.jpg

And just to throw everyone off:  2011 Camry Sport V6

2011-toyota-camry-se-i05.jpg

• Agree 1