FordCosworth

2017 Ford Raptor Has More Torque Than The Last Ford GT: Report

7 posts in this topic

" About two years ago Ford executive Raj Nair said the 3.5 liter turbo V6-powered 2017 Ford Raptor would have 450 horsepower. Over the weekend some dealer documents made their way onto forums and Facebook chats confirming the same, along with torque and towing figures.

All signs say the 2017 Ford Raptor 3.5 EcoBoost will be rated to 450 horsepower at 5,000 RPM and 510 lb-ft of torque at 3,500 RPM with a towing capacity of 8,000 pounds. That torque squeaks by Ford’s last GT supercar, which put down 550 horsepower and 500 lb-ft of torque. "

Its not written in stone as there is no " official " word. But man oh man. 

Read More

Edited by FordCosworth

I've seen more than just a couple Raptors towing. The best are the ones at the drag strip towing their sub 10 second car.

The GT/Raptor also isn't a diesel with no top end power.. and probably physical engine the size of an entire Ford Pinto(the SD's engine that is) . Odd comparison, Drew.

The 6.7 diesel in the Super Duties weigh 970lbs...dry.. Add in 13 quarts of oil and at ~7.5lbs/gallon(motor oil - definitely varies by 'weight')  that pushes it to about 1000lbs and it has to have a monster cooling system.. we're talking about a 1000lb engine.

Edited by ccap41
  • Upvote 1

Don't get me wrong... 510lb-ft is a awesome in any 1/4 ton.  Swaggering about torque and towing though seems to be not what the Raptor is about.  The way I see Raptors is flying off-road through the bush.   

To put it in perspective, the Raptor's tow rating is only 300lbs more than the Colorado Duramax and 1,200lbs less than an Expedition. In fact, it's even less than the F150 4x4 SuperCab 2.7 EB (8,100lbs).  And while I'm sure having 510 lb-ft will make towing 8,000 lbs easier than the 375 lb-ft the 2.7 puts out... it's not like the Raptor is rated any higher due to that torque.

Like I said... it's just an odd thing to swagger about for this particular vehicle. 

• Upvote 1

Odd considering you are 100% about torque and hate the horsepower discussions.. They're touting gobs of torque. That should be a great thing!

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Odd considering you are 100% about torque and hate the horsepower discussions.. They're touting gobs of torque. That should be a great thing!

That hasn't changed... I do like torque.  I explained though why I think it's odd to be touting in this particular application since it doesn't seem to add any capability over a 2.7EB.   I realize that this is probably more of a chassis limitation than an engine one.... I mean, even an old Cadillac Fleetwood can tow 7,000lbs. 

• Upvote 1

I just drive a new King Ranch SD with the 6.7L.  It’s amazing how sluggish Diesel is during acceleration.  Even with 925ftlbs instantly called upon (mashed that pedal to the floor) it takes several seconds to get that Diesel going. Even with less weight due to aluminum.  Get into the gas engine, and it feels much stronger and INSTANTLY.

Rambling a bit, but my point is really about peak torques.  It’s about far more than that.  Look at a 6.7L chart and you see that there is a long climb to that peak torque.  Not something you would expect in a Diesel, but it’s all relative.  The normal amounts of torque are available pretty quickly, but to achieve max tq requires a lot of rpm’s.  The Raptor torque will be available almost instantly, and just right in a heavy truck like that.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.