William Maley

Ford News: Rumorpile: Next Ford Fiesta ST Could Get 3-Cylinder Turbo Power

The current Ford Fiesta ST uses a 1.6L EcoBoost four-cylinder. But the next-generation Fiesta ST could be using a turbocharged three-cylinder.

“We’re seeing more and more of what we can do with the 1.0-litre engine in development and the signs are promising. It’s a great engine – it sounds brilliant and there’s loads of torque when the turbo comes on boost, so we’re looking into things for the next ST,” said Darren Palmer, Ford's head of small cars to Auto Express.

Currently, the most powerful version of the 1.0L EcoBoost three-cylinder produces 138 horsepower. But Ford has been experimenting with the engine to see how much power can be extracted. At the moment, the company has been able to get 202 horsepower.

“There’s still a huge demand for the ST – we’ve seen that with the current ST200. But we want to offer more, so expect more performance and efficiency,” said Palmer.

Source: Auto Express

View full article

This isn't VW news...

Anyway, as long as they keep it quite powerful this thing will still be a blast to drive. I'm yet to drive one but I don't think I've read a bad thing about them.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

This isn't VW news...

Anyway, as long as they keep it quite powerful this thing will still be a blast to drive. I'm yet to drive one but I don't think I've read a bad thing about them.

Quite tempted buy the current model myself.

I sawr one the other day in that green.  Sweet little runner.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

If you note his remarks, he does not state that it would be 1.0L.  

Fact is, it would be much bigger.  And fewer cylinders is always better, assuming similar displacements.

For fuel economy / internal friction.... sure. Not always on balance and revving. (i.e. a 3.0 liter V8 will be smoother and rev faster than a 3.0 liter 4-cylinder assuming the same valvetrain setup) 

However, even the 5-cylinder engines I've driven have been fairly disappointing on that front (Volvo excepted). All the fuel economy of a V6 with all the power of a N/A 4-cylinder. 

That said.... I do think the 1.0 Ecoboost is the superior engine in the Fiesta. It's not a smooth as the 4-cylinder, but it has a fun growl. 

Compare a 1.5L I4 and I3,

I3 packages far smaller and easier

I3 weighs far less

I3 has far less friction and better FE

I3 has much bigger bore, which mostly benefits larger valves and more airflow

I3 GTDI will rev faster and just as smooth

I3 Structure is stronger (length of crank, gearbox, etc.)

A 1.0L works harder due to less power, and is a bit more NVH, but that cancels out when you have similar displacements/power

47 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

Compare a 1.5L I4 and I3,

I3 packages far smaller and easier

I3 weighs far less

I3 has far less friction and better FE

I3 has much bigger bore, which mostly benefits larger valves and more airflow

I3 GTDI will rev faster and just as smooth

I3 Structure is stronger (length of crank, gearbox, etc.)

A 1.0L works harder due to less power, and is a bit more NVH, but that cancels out when you have similar displacements/power

I don't disagree with most of those.  I took issue with the "always". 

Assuming all else equal on an I4 and I3, the 3 won't be as smooth, simple mathematical balance dictates that. Revving faster is also only a maybe... with the bigger bores comes more mass moving in each cylinder. Each time one of those three chunks of mass have to slow down, stop, and change direction there is inertia to overcome.  This is an oversimplification, but each piston will weigh 1/3rd more than in an I-4 (again, all else being equal).  While the total number of piston direction changes happens more often in an I4, the mass of each of those pistons is lower. 

This is born out historically...generally small V8s rev better than big V6es. Small V6es rev better than big I4s. 

I like the I-3. I think it has a strong future ahead.... I'm just reluctant to attribute things to it that aren't really there. 

4 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

Humming along on dyno's at the moment.

Well you better get over there to manually shift through all 10 speeds on that DCT... :P

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't disagree with most of those.  I took issue with the "always". 

Assuming all else equal on an I4 and I3, the 3 won't be as smooth, simple mathematical balance dictates that. Revving faster is also only a maybe... with the bigger bores comes more mass moving in each cylinder. Each time one of those three chunks of mass have to slow down, stop, and change direction there is inertia to overcome.  This is an oversimplification, but each piston will weigh 1/3rd more than in an I-4 (again, all else being equal).  While the total number of piston direction changes happens more often in an I4, the mass of each of those pistons is lower. 

This is born out historically...generally small V8s rev better than big V6es. Small V6es rev better than big I4s. 

I like the I-3. I think it has a strong future ahead.... I'm just reluctant to attribute things to it that aren't really there. 

There are balance tricks to mitigate it, without adding weight and extensive engineering. You counter externally, and balance as a system, including the mounts.  That's what they did with the 1.0L.   But I am sure you knew that.  But again, with boosted engines, they are both quieter and smoother due to not need to rev.  In general.  Most reviews of the 1.0L praised it's smoothness, quick revving and growl.  

So again, on a same displacement comparison, 

smoothness will be similar, as delivered.

It will be rev happy, even with the bigger bore, and it is stroke that impacts that more than bore size.

and the growl will be even better, due to bigger bore and chamber.

All of those tricks mean that they aren't equal... which was precisely my point.... all else being equal... an I4 will be better balanced and smoother than an I3.  I'm not discouraging the use of those tricks either... Buick used a few of them in the Encore and it's noticeable that they didn't make it into the Trax.

I'm very precise with my statements.

Tricks?  It’s called balancing a motor.  Something every motor should and does do.  They just approach it different with the I3.  That’s not a ‘trick’ when you tune a system properly, as a system. 

Precise with your words?

Not in this case.

But I think we are both getting a bit mixed up here in our terms. Let’s review:

An I3 actually vibrates less than an I4, because there is no piston pairing, so some might call it smoother than an I4, especially at higher rpm.  An I4 is actually a bit smoother, but vibrates  more at higher RPM, due to the piston pairing and phasing at 180deg.  An I6 is also paired, but benefits from perfect phase balance of 120.  The I3 has a 240 phase and looks like a Y viewed at the end of the crank. That is closer to an I6 in appearance, than an I4 at 180. And  in total, it’s about counterweight placement and their  phasing.  Or more specifically, the conservation of momentum, or how the piston/rod counterweight is configured to counter the reciprocating and rotating mass.

And although a powertrain design engineer analyst by trade and certainly know a thing or two about what I speak, I am too humble to state I use precise words. I am human after all, and mistakes happen.

Edited by Wings4Life

2 hours ago, Wings4Life said:

Humming along on dyno's at the moment.

It's only a fact if it is provable. Otherwise you sound like the other guy who overused that word. 

Wanna show us some inside news on the new motor?!? NEVER BEFORE SEEN FOOTAGE?!?(not being a smartass but I realize this cannot be done..so maybe that is being a smartass.. well I'm just jokin around. )

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It's only a fact if it is provable. Otherwise you sound like the other guy who overused that word. 

Wanna show us some inside news on the new motor?!? NEVER BEFORE SEEN FOOTAGE?!?(not being a smartass but I realize this cannot be done..so maybe that is being a smartass.. well I'm just jokin around. )

The forum world was busy discussing the new and larger I3 and I4 family from Ford recently, complete with a code project name.  I assumed everyone heard about it. hence my subtle reference to it.  Perhaps you have not heard it here.  

And normally I would share what I can, but lately, with all the down-talking and rudeness around here, I would rather not.  Why would I.

Thanks

Edited by Wings4Life

Guest Wings on cell phone

Yes.. a trick. Active motor mounts are tricks used to hide/tame engine imbalance. So are counter rotating balance shafts. So is active noise cancellation. 

None of which is used with the 1.0l.

hence no tricks

Guest Wings on cell phone

We've been talking engines...was i rude to an engine?

Did someone suggest you have been rude.

I'm all for mechanical entertainment.  I was high on the 1.0 EB in the Fiesta until I realized Ford would only pair it with a car that has plastic wheel covers and no FOG LIGHTS.  Who does that?

Local dealer has a black Focus hatch with the 1.0L and stick on the lot.  Hmmm...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Earlier this year, we reported that Ford would be investing $700 million into their Flat Rock, MI plant for two new models - an electric crossover in 2020 and an autonomous vehicle following a year later. Those plans have changed as Ford will move production of the electric crossover to Cuautitlan, Mexico.
      This information comes from an internal Ford memo obtained by Automotive News last night. Flat Rock will become an “AV center of excellence”. AV, in this case, being autonomous vehicles.
      “This allows us to bring this exciting new vehicle to global customers in a more effective way to support our overreaching business goals,” the memo says.
      Ford spokesman Alan Hall confirmed the move to both Automotive News and The Detroit News last night. Hall said the company sees "a bigger opportunity" for their upcoming autonomous vehicle. Ford will be investing an additional $200 million to Flat Rock over the next few years in addition to the already announced $700 million.
      Part of the reason for Ford moving the production of the electric crossover down to Mexico is lower production costs, allowing the company to make a little more profit. Electric vehicles have low-margins when it comes to making money.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Detroit News

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Earlier this year, we reported that Ford would be investing $700 million into their Flat Rock, MI plant for two new models - an electric crossover in 2020 and an autonomous vehicle following a year later. Those plans have changed as Ford will move production of the electric crossover to Cuautitlan, Mexico.
      This information comes from an internal Ford memo obtained by Automotive News last night. Flat Rock will become an “AV center of excellence”. AV, in this case, being autonomous vehicles.
      “This allows us to bring this exciting new vehicle to global customers in a more effective way to support our overreaching business goals,” the memo says.
      Ford spokesman Alan Hall confirmed the move to both Automotive News and The Detroit News last night. Hall said the company sees "a bigger opportunity" for their upcoming autonomous vehicle. Ford will be investing an additional $200 million to Flat Rock over the next few years in addition to the already announced $700 million.
      Part of the reason for Ford moving the production of the electric crossover down to Mexico is lower production costs, allowing the company to make a little more profit. Electric vehicles have low-margins when it comes to making money.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Detroit News
    • By William Maley
      Truck manufacturers love to boast how they are the best in terms of power, towing, and payload. Every few months, one of them will announce some changes to put them at the top of the pile. Case in point is Ford.
      Today, the blue oval announced that the 2018 F-Series Super Duty features a slightly tweaked 6.7L PowerStroke turbodiesel V8 with 450 horsepower and 935 pound-feet of torque - an increase of 10 for both figures. The increase is due to a new cylinder head design, and optimized fuel and turbo boost calibrations. This puts Ford at the top when it comes power figures for heavy-duty trucks.
      Ford claims this increase gives the Super Duty best-in-class figures for both payload and towing.
      Max Payload: 7,360 pounds Max Gooseneck Towing: 34,000 pounds* Max Towing with a conventional hitch: 21,000 *The figure is for the all-new 2WD version of the F-450 Super Duty.
      How long Ford can claim best-in-class is something we'll be keeping a close eye on.
      Source: Ford
      Press Release is on Page 2

KING OF WORK: 2018 FORD SUPER DUTY IS AMERICA’S MOST POWERFUL, MOST CAPABLE HEAVY-DUTY PICKUP TRUCK EVER
      For the most demanding pickup truck customers, the 2018 Ford F-Series Super Duty works harder thanks to its newly upgraded 6.7-liter Power Stroke® V8 diesel engine offering best-in-class 450 horsepower and 935 lb.-ft. of torque Super Duty continues as the heavy-duty champ, owning key capability claims in the segment: horsepower, torque, gooseneck towing, conventional towing and payload F-450 4x2 Crew Cab pickup joins Super Duty lineup for 2018, delivering best-in-class 34,000-pound towing capacity with properly equipped gooseneck connections DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 5, 2017 – Ford, America’s truck leader for 40 straight years, delivers for customers once again for 2018, creating America’s most powerful and capable heavy-duty pickup trucks ever – thanks to best-in-class horsepower and torque from a newly upgraded 6.7-liter Power Stroke® diesel engine.
      “Super Duty customers expect the best, and for 2018 we’re giving our customers even more power and torque from our 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel – delivering the most horsepower and torque available among all heavy-duty pickups,” said Todd Eckert, Ford truck group marketing manager. “Plus, our new F-450 pickup now includes a 4X2 model, enabling our customers to get more done with the segment’s best payload and towing.”
      The 2018 Super Duty continues to deliver Built Ford Tough durability, capability, and functionality while now owning five key best-in-class heavy-duty truck segment claims:
      Best-in-class 450 horsepower (a 10 horsepower improvement over 2017) Best-in-class 935 lb.-ft. of torque (a 10 lb.-ft. improvement over 2017) Best-in-class 34,000 pounds of gooseneck towing, when properly equipped (a 1,500-pound improvement for the new F-450 4x2 model) Best-in-class 21,000-pound conventional hitch towing Best-in-class 7,360-pound payload capacity Upgrades to the 2018 Ford 6.7-liter Power Stroke engine include redesigned cylinder heads for added strength under higher loads, plus optimized fuel and turbo boost calibrations to take advantage of the increased cylinder head capacity for increased horsepower and torque.
      Ford is the only heavy-duty truck manufacturer that designs and builds its own diesel engine and transmission combination – ensuring the powertrain works seamlessly with all chassis components and vehicle calibrations. This approach enables Ford engineers to optimize vehicle performance across the entire lineup and to further refine the powertrain to the specific needs of the customer.
      34,000 Pounds of Towing Force
      For those who rely on their pickups to haul big trailers to get the job done, the new F-450 Super Duty 4x2 dual-rear-wheel truck is now available for both retail and fleet customers – offering greater strength, efficiency and durability.
      Leveraging the benefits of a high-strength steel box frame, integrated gooseneck hitch mounts, and added load capacity thanks to Ford’s proprietary high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy body, the 2018 F-450 4x2 tows even more with its lighter, more efficient driveline. The result is the most capable, robust and efficient Super Duty tow machine ever, delivering a best-in-class 34,000 pounds of gooseneck towing capacity.
      The 2018 Super Duty F-450 4x2 dual-rear-wheel pickup will be available this winter in XL, XLT, Lariat and Platinum series offerings. Base MSRP is $52,830, which includes $1,295 destination and delivery charges.  

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Truck manufacturers love to boast how they are the best in terms of power, towing, and payload. Every few months, one of them will announce some changes to put them at the top of the pile. Case in point is Ford.
      Today, the blue oval announced that the 2018 F-Series Super Duty features a slightly tweaked 6.7L PowerStroke turbodiesel V8 with 450 horsepower and 935 pound-feet of torque - an increase of 10 for both figures. The increase is due to a new cylinder head design, and optimized fuel and turbo boost calibrations. This puts Ford at the top when it comes power figures for heavy-duty trucks.
      Ford claims this increase gives the Super Duty best-in-class figures for both payload and towing.
      Max Payload: 7,360 pounds Max Gooseneck Towing: 34,000 pounds* Max Towing with a conventional hitch: 21,000 *The figure is for the all-new 2WD version of the F-450 Super Duty.
      How long Ford can claim best-in-class is something we'll be keeping a close eye on.
      Source: Ford
      Press Release is on Page 2

KING OF WORK: 2018 FORD SUPER DUTY IS AMERICA’S MOST POWERFUL, MOST CAPABLE HEAVY-DUTY PICKUP TRUCK EVER
      For the most demanding pickup truck customers, the 2018 Ford F-Series Super Duty works harder thanks to its newly upgraded 6.7-liter Power Stroke® V8 diesel engine offering best-in-class 450 horsepower and 935 lb.-ft. of torque Super Duty continues as the heavy-duty champ, owning key capability claims in the segment: horsepower, torque, gooseneck towing, conventional towing and payload F-450 4x2 Crew Cab pickup joins Super Duty lineup for 2018, delivering best-in-class 34,000-pound towing capacity with properly equipped gooseneck connections DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 5, 2017 – Ford, America’s truck leader for 40 straight years, delivers for customers once again for 2018, creating America’s most powerful and capable heavy-duty pickup trucks ever – thanks to best-in-class horsepower and torque from a newly upgraded 6.7-liter Power Stroke® diesel engine.
      “Super Duty customers expect the best, and for 2018 we’re giving our customers even more power and torque from our 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel – delivering the most horsepower and torque available among all heavy-duty pickups,” said Todd Eckert, Ford truck group marketing manager. “Plus, our new F-450 pickup now includes a 4X2 model, enabling our customers to get more done with the segment’s best payload and towing.”
      The 2018 Super Duty continues to deliver Built Ford Tough durability, capability, and functionality while now owning five key best-in-class heavy-duty truck segment claims:
      Best-in-class 450 horsepower (a 10 horsepower improvement over 2017) Best-in-class 935 lb.-ft. of torque (a 10 lb.-ft. improvement over 2017) Best-in-class 34,000 pounds of gooseneck towing, when properly equipped (a 1,500-pound improvement for the new F-450 4x2 model) Best-in-class 21,000-pound conventional hitch towing Best-in-class 7,360-pound payload capacity Upgrades to the 2018 Ford 6.7-liter Power Stroke engine include redesigned cylinder heads for added strength under higher loads, plus optimized fuel and turbo boost calibrations to take advantage of the increased cylinder head capacity for increased horsepower and torque.
      Ford is the only heavy-duty truck manufacturer that designs and builds its own diesel engine and transmission combination – ensuring the powertrain works seamlessly with all chassis components and vehicle calibrations. This approach enables Ford engineers to optimize vehicle performance across the entire lineup and to further refine the powertrain to the specific needs of the customer.
      34,000 Pounds of Towing Force
      For those who rely on their pickups to haul big trailers to get the job done, the new F-450 Super Duty 4x2 dual-rear-wheel truck is now available for both retail and fleet customers – offering greater strength, efficiency and durability.
      Leveraging the benefits of a high-strength steel box frame, integrated gooseneck hitch mounts, and added load capacity thanks to Ford’s proprietary high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy body, the 2018 F-450 4x2 tows even more with its lighter, more efficient driveline. The result is the most capable, robust and efficient Super Duty tow machine ever, delivering a best-in-class 34,000 pounds of gooseneck towing capacity.
      The 2018 Super Duty F-450 4x2 dual-rear-wheel pickup will be available this winter in XL, XLT, Lariat and Platinum series offerings. Base MSRP is $52,830, which includes $1,295 destination and delivery charges.  
    • By William Maley
      FORD SALES UP 6.7 PERCENT IN NOVEMBER; F-SERIES ACHIEVES BEST SALES IN 16 YEARS, WHILE FORD SUVS POST BRAND’S BEST NOVEMBER SALES IN 17 YEARS
      Highlights:
      Ford Motor Company’s U.S. sales totaled 210,771 vehicles for November, a 6.7 percent gain over 2016 Retail performance was up 1.3 percent compared to a year ago, with sales of 156,064 vehicles F-Series saw its best November results since 2001 with 72,769 pickups sold – a 0.9 percent gain; customer demand for high series trucks remains strong Ford Transit sales totaled 10,852 vehicles for November, a 47.1 percent gain. Overall Ford van sales, including Transit Connect and E-Series, posted their best November results since 1984 Ford brand SUVs gained 13.4 percent on 68,139 vehicles sold, while retail advanced 11.6 percent for the month; We are seeing strong interest in the all new Expedition which recorded its first sales in November Explorer sales totaled 21,520 vehicles, representing a 24.8 percent gain for the month and 24.2 percent at retail – the SUV’s best November in 13 years Edge sales were up 22.5 percent, establishing a new November record; Edge retail sales were up 25.5 percent, while total Escape sales gained 9.1 percent Focus sales were up 44.9 percent, for the fifth straight month of gains, with 13,226 cars sold Lincoln MKX sales increased 6.9 percent in November, Interest is strong for the all-new Navigator which recorded its first sales for the month
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook