William Maley

Ford News: Ford Pauses Mustang Production Amid Sales Slump

20 posts in this topic

The Ford Mustang has been riding a wave of sales success, beating the Camaro in the total sales for the year - 87,258 vs. 54,535. But this past month, the Mustang saw a steep decline in sales (32 percent) and was beaten by the Camaro. Because of this, Ford has put Mustang production on idle for a week.

The Detroit News reports that Ford has idled their Flat Rock, MI plant for a week. Ford Spokeswoman Kelli Felker said this was to match production with demand. At the end of September, the supply of Mustangs stood at 89 days. Analysts say a 60 day supply is a healthy target - something the Mustang is somewhat close to.

But why did the Mustang see a steep drop in sales? The answer might lie in incentives. In September, Ford was offering $2,700 in incentives for the Mustang - down $300 when compared to August. Meanwhile, incentives on the Camaro tripled from $1,100 in August to just over $3,300 in September. It should be noted that Chevrolet has a glut of Camaros. At the end of September, dealers were sitting on a 120-day supply in Camaros. 

Update: As some our members have pointed out, the more likely cause to this Ford's reduction in fleet sales.

"Fleet sales of 42,120 vehicles, including daily rental, commercial and government segments, were down 21 percent, consistent with the company’s plan to front-load fleet sales this year. Sales to daily rental companies declined 36 percent for the month," Ford said in their September sales press release.

Source: The Detroit News

View full article

I love the new Pony cars, but still remember the very early 1970's when their 1960's counter parts filled the roads. Personally, I want something more modern for my next sporty car-BRZ/FRS/ Fiata/Miata, something along those lines. Maybe a nice used S2000.

Would perhaps consider a Focus ST but the chassis tuning on the GTI is infinitely better with the MK VII (current) GTI.

I for one won't be buying a Camaro or Mustang, even though i am very happy both are still in production.  Watching them race at Mid Ohio is fun also....

Triple the incentives will help out.. 120 days is still a decent supply of 2016's while the 2017's are out.

Who would have guessed the more expensive of the two needs more of an incentive on the hood to sell?

• Upvote 2

The cheaper car had much higher incentives than the Camaro (3x according to the article) all year prior to September to help boost its sales (on top of much higher fleet sales than the Camaro). What does that say about the cheaper car?

• Upvote 1

Smart move to stop production for a week. It'll help get inline with demand.

Or go the other route and keep pumping them out and adding to the  days supply like another company seems inclined to be doing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While it isn't a good thing that sales are down for the month. It is good that they're taking measures to reduce costs while sales are down. I'm curious what their supply of Mustang's is in comparison to that 120 days of Camaros in stock.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

While it isn't a good thing that sales are down for the month. It is good that they're taking measures to reduce costs while sales are down. I'm curious what their supply of Mustang's is in comparison to that 120 days of Camaros in stock.

As of the end of September, 89 day supply.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FordCosworth said:

Smart move to stop production for a week. It'll help get inline with demand.

Or go the other route and keep pumping them out and adding to the  days supply like another company seems inclined to be doing.

Not everyone chooses to keep their supply low by sending 30% of their cars to the rental market. This goes right in line with the reduction in fleet for September covered on the Ford September sales thread. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Not everyone chooses to keep their supply low by sending 30% of their cars to the rental market. This goes right in line with the reduction in fleet for September covered on the Ford September sales thread. 

Care to offer a retort to the facts @FordCosworth? Here's a sample of what I'm talking about.

"Retail sales declined 4 percent in September, with 162,327 vehicles sold for the month. Fleet sales of 42,120 vehicles, including daily rental, commercial and government segments, were down 21 percent, consistent with the company’s plan to front-load fleet sales this year. Sales to daily rental companies declined 36 percent for the month."

4 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

And not everyone chooses to keep day supply high by adding more and more.

Ford is choosing to lower day supply by stopping production for a week.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's pretty obvious now that the profits model for the Mustang was stretched to its limit, and has been for quite some time. 

If upping your incentive spending by only 600 bucks over your competition for 30 days is enough to get them to say "uncle" on production then it's clear excellence of execution was the better way to go. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Triple the incentives will help out.. 120 days is still a decent supply of 2016's while the 2017's are out.

Who would have guessed the more expensive of the two needs more of an incentive on the hood to sell?

Bloomberg reports incentives on the Camaro were also stronger for September, more than tripling to an average discount of $3,409 per car. Incentives for the Mustang averaged $2,602

• Downvote 1

Just now, FordCosworth said:

Bloomberg reports incentives on the Camaro were also stronger for September, more than tripling to an average discount of $3,409 per car. Incentives for the Mustang averaged $2,602

Yeah.. That was in the original post.. kind of.

A guy's son on another site I'm on bought a 1SS for 28k. 10k of sticker, one hell of a deal. I might be a mustang guy a heart but if I could get a Camaro at that price I would scoop it up in a heart beat.

The Mustang's sales decline can be attributed to Ford's massive fleet reduction last month, Check it out.

Source:

Also covered here is the fact that up until September, the Mustangs incentives were almost $2K higher than the Camaro. 

Edited by surreal1272
Post change.

Right now Chevy is running 20% ! reduction on select Camaros.

Dealer near me has 2016 Camaro 2SS that has MSRP of $45,445.00 selling for $36,356.00

They have around me similar promos on V6 and turbo models as well.

Ford has only $750 back on 2016 Mustangs

Edited by ykX

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Right now Chevy is running 20% ! reduction on select Camaros.

Dealer near me has 2016 Camaro 2SS that has MSRP of $45,445.00 selling for $36,356.00

They have around me similar promos on V6 and turbo models as well.

Ford has only $750 back on 2016 Mustangs

For some reason the automotive market seems to have gotten rather difficult in the last few mo0nths, not a good sign for the economy at large.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      The strike at General Motors' CAMI Assembly plant, home of the Chevrolet Equinox has come to an end. Today, 86 percent of Unifor Local 88 members voted yes on a new 4-year contract. With the approval, workers will resume work at the plant beginning at 7 PM tonight for early start-up, with production beginning at 11 PM.
      Here is what new 4-year contract include
      Stronger language around job security. Union said the new contract would make it more costly for GM to close down CAMI - $290 million vs. $190 million. If CAMI is shuttered, employees near retirement will still be able to get into a retirement program. Workers will get a 4 percent wage hike and $8,000 in lump-sum payments over the contract New hires on the production line will see an accelerated pace in terms of their wages increased to the max of $34.15 per hour A $6,000 performance bonus once the deal is ratified "The ratification of a new 4-year agreement between GM Canada and Unifor Local 88 at CAMI Assembly is welcome news for our company, employees and the community. We have an outstanding new product at CAMI with the Chevrolet Equinox and I am confident that we will quickly pull together to continue to demonstrate to the world the outstanding productivity, innovation and quality that is synonymous with the CAMI workforce," said Steve Carlisle, President of GM Canada in a statement.
      There is one thing missing from this contract, a written assurance that CAMI would be the lead producer of the Equinox. This was the major point of contention between the two during negoations.
      It is clear that Unifor officials are not happy with this contract.
      “The end result was not the result we were hoping for, it shows the true colors of GM,” Unifor Local 88 Chair Mike Van Boekel said in a statement to members.
      Given these actions, our demand to protect the Equinox was not only fair and reasonable, it simply made sense. Our members had every reason to make this [lead producer] demand, and did everything to demonstrate it was a demand that deserved to be met. However, at the highest levels of General Motors corporate in Detroit, they coldly refused. As a result and after much internal discussion, we decided that we could not, in good conscience, ask for more economic sacrifice from you in this fight,” said Unifor National President Jerry Dias.
      We have to wonder if GM's threat of ramping up Equinox production in Mexico issued last week was the turning point.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), CBC News, GM
      Press Release is on Page 2
      2017 CAMI / UNIFOR NEGOTIATIONS
      The ratification of a new 4-year agreement between GM Canada and Unifor Local 88 at CAMI Assembly is welcome news for our company, employees and the community. We have an outstanding new product at CAMI with the Chevrolet Equinox and I am confident that we will quickly pull together to continue to demonstrate to the world the outstanding productivity, innovation and quality that is synonymous with the CAMI workforce.
      I want to extend thanks to the local and national Unifor teams who have worked long hours together with the GM negotiating team these past many weeks. The negotiations process requires a great deal of straight talk, creative problem solving, and compromise to achieve a positive outcome for both the membership and the Company.  Success is also achieved by remembering that we are here to serve our customers proudly and deliver the very best product and services to them. 
      Having grown up in Southwestern Ontario, the CAMI plant and the Oxford County community mean a great deal to me.  The challenges of the past months have been hard on all of us but now it’s time to show the character of our region and our plant. With the recent $800 million investment at the CAMI plant and this agreement, it is up to each of us to demonstrate the unparalleled value we deliver as leaders within Canada’s auto sector. The employees at CAMI have created a culture of team involvement and continuous improvement resulting in numerous industry awards for vehicle quality and productivity.  I am confident that by working as one team, that will continue for years to come.
      Steve Carlisle
      President and Managing Director
      General Motors Canada 

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The strike at General Motors' CAMI Assembly plant, home of the Chevrolet Equinox has come to an end. Today, 86 percent of Unifor Local 88 members voted yes on a new 4-year contract. With the approval, workers will resume work at the plant beginning at 7 PM tonight for early start-up, with production beginning at 11 PM.
      Here is what new 4-year contract include
      Stronger language around job security. Union said the new contract would make it more costly for GM to close down CAMI - $290 million vs. $190 million. If CAMI is shuttered, employees near retirement will still be able to get into a retirement program. Workers will get a 4 percent wage hike and $8,000 in lump-sum payments over the contract New hires on the production line will see an accelerated pace in terms of their wages increased to the max of $34.15 per hour A $6,000 performance bonus once the deal is ratified "The ratification of a new 4-year agreement between GM Canada and Unifor Local 88 at CAMI Assembly is welcome news for our company, employees and the community. We have an outstanding new product at CAMI with the Chevrolet Equinox and I am confident that we will quickly pull together to continue to demonstrate to the world the outstanding productivity, innovation and quality that is synonymous with the CAMI workforce," said Steve Carlisle, President of GM Canada in a statement.
      There is one thing missing from this contract, a written assurance that CAMI would be the lead producer of the Equinox. This was the major point of contention between the two during negoations.
      It is clear that Unifor officials are not happy with this contract.
      “The end result was not the result we were hoping for, it shows the true colors of GM,” Unifor Local 88 Chair Mike Van Boekel said in a statement to members.
      Given these actions, our demand to protect the Equinox was not only fair and reasonable, it simply made sense. Our members had every reason to make this [lead producer] demand, and did everything to demonstrate it was a demand that deserved to be met. However, at the highest levels of General Motors corporate in Detroit, they coldly refused. As a result and after much internal discussion, we decided that we could not, in good conscience, ask for more economic sacrifice from you in this fight,” said Unifor National President Jerry Dias.
      We have to wonder if GM's threat of ramping up Equinox production in Mexico issued last week was the turning point.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), CBC News, GM
      Press Release is on Page 2
      2017 CAMI / UNIFOR NEGOTIATIONS
      The ratification of a new 4-year agreement between GM Canada and Unifor Local 88 at CAMI Assembly is welcome news for our company, employees and the community. We have an outstanding new product at CAMI with the Chevrolet Equinox and I am confident that we will quickly pull together to continue to demonstrate to the world the outstanding productivity, innovation and quality that is synonymous with the CAMI workforce.
      I want to extend thanks to the local and national Unifor teams who have worked long hours together with the GM negotiating team these past many weeks. The negotiations process requires a great deal of straight talk, creative problem solving, and compromise to achieve a positive outcome for both the membership and the Company.  Success is also achieved by remembering that we are here to serve our customers proudly and deliver the very best product and services to them. 
      Having grown up in Southwestern Ontario, the CAMI plant and the Oxford County community mean a great deal to me.  The challenges of the past months have been hard on all of us but now it’s time to show the character of our region and our plant. With the recent $800 million investment at the CAMI plant and this agreement, it is up to each of us to demonstrate the unparalleled value we deliver as leaders within Canada’s auto sector. The employees at CAMI have created a culture of team involvement and continuous improvement resulting in numerous industry awards for vehicle quality and productivity.  I am confident that by working as one team, that will continue for years to come.
      Steve Carlisle
      President and Managing Director
      General Motors Canada 
    • By William Maley
      Last week, Ford CEO Jim Hackett unveiled his plans for the company. One key part of his plan is moving $7 billion from the development of cars to trucks. What does this entail? Car and Driver have done a bit of digging and has brought forth some answers.
      Jim Farley, Ford’s president of global markets tells the magazine the company will focus on its regional strengths for future products. For the U.S., this means developing “authentic, off-road capable” vehicles according to him. That includes the upcoming EcoSport crossover, Ranger pickup, and Bronco SUV.
      Ford is planning to focus on utility vehicles in other markets as well as they have found success with “styled, on-road performance" crossovers. Europe will begin seeing models that are “urban-utility products.” For Asia (in particular China), Ford will focus on the "C-plus" larger midsize segment and three-row SUVs.
      As for cars, Farley said Ford will be repositioning products in certain markets to "lower-volume, higher-revenue sub-segments." For example, the Fiesta and Focus will become more upmarket.
      Source: Car and Driver

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Last week, Ford CEO Jim Hackett unveiled his plans for the company. One key part of his plan is moving $7 billion from the development of cars to trucks. What does this entail? Car and Driver have done a bit of digging and has brought forth some answers.
      Jim Farley, Ford’s president of global markets tells the magazine the company will focus on its regional strengths for future products. For the U.S., this means developing “authentic, off-road capable” vehicles according to him. That includes the upcoming EcoSport crossover, Ranger pickup, and Bronco SUV.
      Ford is planning to focus on utility vehicles in other markets as well as they have found success with “styled, on-road performance" crossovers. Europe will begin seeing models that are “urban-utility products.” For Asia (in particular China), Ford will focus on the "C-plus" larger midsize segment and three-row SUVs.
      As for cars, Farley said Ford will be repositioning products in certain markets to "lower-volume, higher-revenue sub-segments." For example, the Fiesta and Focus will become more upmarket.
      Source: Car and Driver
    • By William Maley
      Japan is a notorious market for American automakers to make a dent in. Ford called it quits last year, while GM sells a meager number of models; Cadillac sold 327 and Chevrolet moved 373 models last year. Critics say "nontariff barriers" are the key reason as to why Detroit hasn't been able to make any headway. Talk with people in Japan and it is a different story, there is still a perception of American models having poor quality and having to fork out a fair amount of cash to keep them maintained.
      But there is an exception. Jeep has been able to carve out a nice niche in Japan's marketplace. The brand is consistently in the top 10 of foreign automakers and sales have been climbing. 2017 is on track to be the eighth consecutive year of sales growth in the country. Through August, Jeep moved 6,344 models.
      But getting to this point took a lot of work and money.
      "We have to spend money and engineering hours to do it, but we think it's worth it," said FCA Japan CEO Pontus Haggstrom to Automotive News.
      "They are things that make our jobs harder and make it more expensive and time consuming to bring cars to Japan. But are they trade barriers? My honest opinion is, no. Are they excuses for why I can't sell or succeed in Japan? No."
      Jeep has been making efforts to make their models more appealing to Japanese customers.
      Tweaking drivetrains to qualify for Japan's eco-car incentives Offering right-hand drive models Equipping models with folding side mirrors and factory-installed Japanese navigation systems. Doubling their marketing budget since 2010 Refurbishing or redesigning more than 50 showrooms by 2018 The last one is important as previous Jeep dealers in the country were basically what you find in dealers in the U.S.
      "It's more about the brand and less about the origin," says Haggstrom.
      Jeep also has an ace up its sleeve that many automakers wished they had, brand equity.
      "The image of American cars as low-quality still persists here, even though a bit underserved. But Jeep has the most brand equity of any American brand. Japan shows it has a global following," said Christopher Richter, an auto analyst with CLSA Asia-Pacific Markets in Tokyo.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)