Ultimate Dream Garage: Special Edition er....Edition

Okay guys, I'd really like to see some more participation in these. The last one had almost no replies.I'm trying to motivate some extra action in here.

This installment of UDG is going to feature a premise that I really have no idea how it hasn't dawned on me before. This edition will be strictly limited to special editions of different sorts. Whether it's an Anniversary Edition, Commemerative Edition, Collector's Edition, Final Edition, whatever. Only limited edition models allowed.

Rules-

1)Maximum of 5 vehicles.

2)Production vehicles only.

3)Any era and market is allowed.

4)These are your only vehicles.

5)NO normal series production models!! Example- a Mustang Cobra SVT doesn't count. A 2003 10th Anniversary Cobra would. 

Have fun, hopefully you guys really dig around for this one. 

I will continue with the California special edition....68 California special Mustang.....V8, 302 J code 302 4V....

2016 Launch Edition Miata....

1997 type R Miata as an autocross car....

2017 series yellow BRZ....http://www.subaru.com/2017-brz-series-yellow

1969 SC rambler A edition because I feel like something funky.

I would take a Spirit LHD FD RX7 but sicne there is only one in the world and Mazda is not turning lose of it, it does not qualify as a regular production vehicle.

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Nice. And fast!

Mine is in progress.

Looking forward to it.

My number two list just for the heck of it is going to cheat like crazy and feature only oddball Mustangs.  Car number one will be a 1968 High Country Special, much is just like a California Special but much more rare with only two hundred plus built. Keep the J code 302 4V V8 and match it with a four speed top loader please.

Also make this car highland green, like the Mustang in Bullet.

Edited by A Horse With No Name

Next car up is a 1969 Mach 1 in either Poppy Green or Champagne Gold.  While not quite a factory special edition...the Poppy Green was a run of ten cars for Russ David Ford. They did a ten car short limited edition run. This was done to promote the dealership's racing team.

Champagne Gold was going to be a special edition color for the Mach 1 But Ford decided to allow it on other Mustangs as well. A very, very rare car is a GT fastback for 1969 in Champaign Gold.  I guess you said special edition so we will go with Poppy Green.

1969 was a very low production year for the GT package, as the Mach 1, Boss 302 and Boss 429 overshadowed the GT as a performance car.

1966 Sprint 200 fastback is Turquoise and very, very rare.  Ford Built the Sprint 200 special edition as a celebration of the millionth mustang, a handful of fastbacks were built.  One of my fellow club members had one when I was part of the Classic Mustang Club of Central Ohio.  Wild guess would be that maybe six still exist, I could be wildly wrong about that.

Only about six and a half thousand 66 Mustang fastbacks supposedly still exist.

Car number 4 will be a Q code 351 4V Mustang convertible from 1973.  Here I cheat because it is a special production run rather than a special edition per we.  After Ford Built the first last 1973 Mustang Convertible, demand caused them to re start convertible production for a brief production run. This car would be from that brief, final run.

1973 was the last year for Mustang convertibles for about a decade.

The 1973 Mustang should be dark green color code 4Q.  Black top and interior.

We will then cheat by flipping a coin to see if the final car is a sage green SVO or a 7 up edition green Mustang Convertible.  Actually I love oddball cars so we will just go with the sage green SVO.

Besides, only 47 sage Green SVO Mustangs were ever built.

If the 73 does not count, substitute the 7 Up Special edition convertible.

5 odd, really rare green Mustangs...and the perhaps only kind of Green cars our own Ocnblu can approve of!

Here is my Dream garage and I am sure those that know me are not surprised by this.

2008 AWD Trailblazer SS

chevrolet-trailblazer-ss-2008.jpg

1993 GMC AWD Typhoon

1993-gmc-typhoon.jpg

1991 GMC Syclone

1991-GMC-Syclone.jpg

2006 AWD Silverado Intimidator SS

chevrolet_silverado_2006_AWD_Intimidator_SS_Special_Edition.jpg

2015 GMC Sierra Carbon Special Edition

2015-GMC-Sierra-Leader-Special-Edition-1024x589-Carbon-Edition.jpg

2016 Grand Jeep Cherokee SRT Night Hawk Special Edition

2016_GCH_SRT_Night_Special_Edition.jpg

3 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

Corvette Grand Sport Special Edition
2017-Chevrolet-Corvette-GrandSport-003-6

Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
camaro_50.jpg

Cadillac CTS-V Stealth Blue Edition (Yes it counts!)
01-cadillac-cts-v-farewell-1.jpg

Chevy Impala Midnight Edition
Best-Family-Cars-2015.jpg

That Corvette and the Cobra R below are just to die for.  Love the photography on the Corvette...awesome!

2 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

The Trailblazer SS, Cyclone, and Typhoon aren't special editions, rare as they may be.

Limited Editions are the same as special editions. They are in limited numbers. Just cause American auto companies do not over use the Special name like the germans, does not mean these are special.

All 6 of those are very special editions.

• Agree 1

I don't have the answer to this but did they have a production number set prior to the start production? I think that is where the line should be drawn for a limited edition, imo. Like the Ford GT has a set production run before even selling or making a single production unit.

For instance, I would throw the 2015 GT350 and R in there because they came out and said how many would be built ahead of time.

Edited by ccap41

The definition of the thread seems pretty cut and dry to me. The TB SS, Cyclone, and Typhoon were just performance models. Nothing in the thread opener said you could use any car with a small production run. Special editions only.

"This edition will be strictly limited to special editions of different sorts. Whether it's an Anniversary Edition, Commemerative Edition, Collector's Edition, Final Edition, whatever. Only limited edition models allowed."

"5) NO normal series production models!! Example- a Mustang Cobra SVT doesn't count. A 2003 10th Anniversary Cobra would."

Edited by cp-the-nerd

It is cool however seeing what everyone else would put in their garage.

1967 Mustang Blazer newspaper advertisement

Another Green special edition vintage Mustang....

69poppygreen.jpg
Poppy Green

1969limited600.jpg
Groovy Green 1969 Limited Edition 600

Groovy Green was also a little known limited edition 1969 Mustang.

1990green.jpg
Deep Emerald Green 1990 Spring Feature 25th Anniversary 7-Up Mustangs

The Seven Up/Emerald green Mustang i was referring to.

Dark Green 1973 Mustang Convertible

The 1973 in Dark Green.....

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Limited Editions are the same as special editions. They are in limited numbers. Just cause American auto companies do not over use the Special name like the germans, does not mean these are special.

All 6 of those are very special editions.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/motoring/review-fiat-500-pink-28517305.html

And much better than the special edition in the link above...Fiat 500 Pink "Barbie Edition" ...and yes they actually built that....click on the link at your own risk...

Fiat 500 Pink

Back to being serious, walk around of a Sage Green SVO.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I don't have the answer to this but did they have a production number set prior to the start production? I think that is where the line should be drawn for a limited edition, imo. Like the Ford GT has a set production run before even selling or making a single production unit.

For instance, I would throw the 2015 GT350 and R in there because they came out and said how many would be built ahead of time.

The R for sure, along with the RS that will become one of the more collectible of the modern Fords!

5 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

The definition of the thread seems pretty cut and dry to me. The TB SS, Cyclone, and Typhoon were just performance models. Nothing in the thread opener said you could use any car with a small production run. Special editions only.

"This edition will be strictly limited to special editions of different sorts. Whether it's an Anniversary Edition, Commemerative Edition, Collector's Edition, Final Edition, whatever. Only limited edition models allowed."

"5) NO normal series production models!! Example- a Mustang Cobra SVT doesn't count. A 2003 10th Anniversary Cobra would."

Where do you put the Cobra R then? 

3 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Fiat 500 Pink

I actually love the Gucci Fiat 500 that they make(or made..no clue if they still do)

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Argh. I'm inclined to let the Cobra R slide. It's really a grey area. It's a special edition of the Cobra, but it's still a different car.

The One-77 definitely doesn't count, though.

Because it doesn't say "Aston Edition"? lol  Wouldn't it fall into the "collectors" of "final" edition category..?

Special editions are usually super lame looking because they're just sticker packages or some crap.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Because it doesn't say "Aston Edition"? lol  Wouldn't it fall into the "collectors" of "final" edition category..?

Special editions are usually super lame looking because they're just sticker packages or some crap.

It's just a low-production supercar. 

What I'm really after here are special or limited edition variants of normal run cars. 

19 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

Also, I can't believe Ccap or anyone else haven't used the Boss 302 Laguna Seca.

Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Laguna-Seca.jpg

To me, personally, it doesn't fit into this "Edition" theme. When I think of all of these "editions" I think of a limited run and one year only.

Just now, Frisky Dingo said:

It's just a low-production supercar. 

What I'm really after here are special or limited edition variants of normal run cars. 

So sticker packages? lol :thumbsdown: 

Chevy *enter vehicle model here* Midnight Edition. X5

• Agree 1

Okay, so I've done this list with only Anniversary Editions-

Corvette 427 Collector's Edition (60th Ann)

Corvette-427-Convertible-Collector-Editi

75th Ann Jeep Grand Cherokee

16j489-A.jpg

40th Ann Lamborghini Murcielago

2003%20Lamborghini%20Murcielago%2040th%2

50th Ann Porsche 911

2014-Porsche-911-50-Year-Anniversary-fro

BMW M5 30 Jahre

BMW-M5-30th-Anniversary-Edition-PLACEMEN

21 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

To me, personally, it doesn't fit into this "Edition" theme. When I think of all of these "editions" I think of a limited run and one year only.

So sticker packages? lol :thumbsdown: 

Chevy *enter vehicle model here* Midnight Edition. X5

I mean, that's typically what special editions are. Some special color or trim or theme to commemorate an anniversary, motorsport win, production end, etc, etc.

• Agree 1

Not even the Mopar 16?  It is a numbered 1 year only special edition.

Officially known as the Mopar ’16 Ram Rebel, the truck will be limited to 500 units and be offered in one of two colors, black or a two-tone red with black combo. In order to distinguish itself from the run-of-the-mill Ram Rebel, the Mopar ’16 Ram Rebel adds a matte-black graphic to the truck’s aluminum hood, bigger flares on its wheel arches, and a blue and black stripe that starts at the front fenders and makes its way across the tailgate. An all-black front bumper and black wheels replace the silver trim on the regular Rebel. Inside, stainless steel door guards and a serialized glovebox badge are the only noticeable changes.

Edited by Stew

Love that 50th ann. Porche and 60th ann. Vette. Nice picks, @Frisky Dingo.

58 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It's literally called the Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition, so by following the most basic definition of this dream garage, it counts. I figured you'd be excited to swap that into your list!!

6 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

Love that 50th ann. Porche and 60th ann. Vette. Nice picks, @Frisky Dingo.

It's literally called the Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition, so by following the most basic definition of this dream garage, it counts. I figured you'd be excited to swap that into your list!!

Anything can be called XXX Edition and make the list but it doesn't.. and it wasn't a one year thing either. I donno, I mean I see what you mean but to me it doesn't fit the list. But that doesn't say much as I'm not right about other choices on my list.

"Editions" typically suck...

Came to visit after a long hiatus and I see this thread. cool.

OK...I see that the rules could be interpreted slightly differently than what Mr. Frisky intends. And I sometimes circumvent these rules, but Ill try not to. Ive got back up cars just in case.

1. 1969 Hurst/Olds 

dn0716-252660_1.jpg

and if it dont fit the rules....Ill go with another A-Body from the same year but from Chevy.

1969 Yenko Chevelle.

But I cant see how the Oldsmobile should be denied. Its a car that Oldsmobile and Hurst collaborated together to take a standard Cutlass, that was already transformed into a 442, eliminate the 400 cubic inch engine and shoehorn a 455 HO. And Hurst would just build upon the W-30 package... as per regulations, the Hurst/Olds is a legit entry.

ch0911-116157_1.jpg

2.  2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 Collector's Edition

Ceta.jpg

or a 1999 30th Anniversary Edition. Same Thing.  I prefer the yellow but Ill do the white and blue stripes if I have too.

99ta16.2.jpg

3. 2017 Aston Martin Vanquish Zagato

Like the Oldsmobile, this car is based on a "lesser" model in the Vanquish and is limited to 99 cars.

aston-martin-vanquish-zagato-concept-201

If this one gets bounced, which it should not, Ill do the 2016 Corvette C7R edition. (Which is basically the same principle as the Zagato...)

2016-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-C7R-Edition-

4. 1966 or 2016 Hertz Ford Mustang

Preferably the 1966 GT350H

1966_00073_01wc.jpg

but the 2016 GT-H edition aint too shabby either...

16Ford-Mustang_Shelby_GT-H-2016-ig.jpg

And finally, the last choice is kinda like the 1969 Olds and the 2017 AM in that this next choice is based on a lower trimmed car, the Regal in which was already muscle-fied into a Grand National and for a last big bang hurrah edition, the GNX was born in 1987. Only 547 were built.

5. 1987 Buick GNX

1987_buick_gnx_by_beowulf_bx.jpg

If this gets denied, then its an easy choice. Ive swapped one for the other in other DCG threads. Same engine but improved on an F-Bodied Pontiac. The 1989 25th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am which also happens to be an Indy 500 pace car edition. 2 for the price of 1.

IMG_1073.jpg

Edited by oldshurst442

I don't get the 'these are your only vehicles' restriction. No one is going to use special edition/ rare vehicles as their only transportation. Anyways, here's 3 I like :

1956 DeSoto Fireflite Pacesetter, about 400 built, dealers given stencils to letter cars like the actual Pace Car ~
1956-De-Soto-Pacesetter-1.png

1962 Pontiac Grand Prix Super Duty 421, 16 built ~
1962_Pontiac_Grand_Prix_Super_Duty_001_5

1963 Studebaker GT Super Hawk R-2, 176 built ~
big_thumb_a61f8040a4ed50b921761ec46b566d

@oldshurst442 Great freakin' list, bud! Your Olds Hurst fell right into your lap on this one! lol 

The 2016 GT-H.. A buddy of mine manages a handful of Hertz up in the Chicago area and he had one for a weekend a month or so ago. Way cool. It's really just a fancy/souped up GT but the principal of what it was made it cooler.

14 hours ago, balthazar said:

I don't get the 'these are your only vehicles' restriction. No one is going to use special edition/ rare vehicles as their only transportation. Anyways, here's 3 I like :

1956 DeSoto Fireflite Pacesetter, about 400 built, dealers given stencils to letter cars like the actual Pace Car ~

I and others were easily able to do it.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

1956-De-Soto-Pacesetter-1.png

1962_Pontiac_Grand_Prix_Super_Duty_001_5

big_thumb_a61f8040a4ed50b921761ec46b566d

3 cars I adore.  Desktop was one of the best designs of the fifties, Studebaker is wonderful, and you know my feelings about 60s Pontiacs.

13 hours ago, ccap41 said:

@oldshurst442 Great freakin' list, bud! Your Olds Hurst fell right into your lap on this one! lol 

The 2016 GT-H.. A buddy of mine manages a handful of Hertz up in the Chicago area and he had one for a weekend a month or so ago. Way cool. It's really just a fancy/souped up GT but the principal of what it was made it cooler.

Hurst Olds is wonderful!

My off-road limited editions:

Mopar 16 Ram Rebel (not to be confused with the regular Rebel or TRX concept)

252187_Mopar_16_Ram_Rebel_Revealed.jpg

75th anniversary Grand Cherokee

DriversNotebook_Pic5.jpg

Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler (if this doesn't count can use the 75th anniversary)

nydn-bg-2016-jeep-wrangler-photo.jpg

Land Rover Defender LVX special edition

Land-Rover-Defender-LXV-Special-Edition-

60th anniversary jeep Cherokee60thxj.jpg

Edited by Stew

I love the standard 2 door Willy's. Basic Jeep Wrangler. I sadly don't see very many of them anymore. I mostly see the 4 door versions and higher trims. I know the Willy's isn't the bottom of the Wrangler lineup but it's pretty close isn't it? Like AC is still an option at that point?

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I love the standard 2 door Willy's. Basic Jeep Wrangler. I sadly don't see very many of them anymore. I mostly see the 4 door versions and higher trims. I know the Willy's isn't the bottom of the Wrangler lineup but it's pretty close isn't it? Like AC is still an option at that point?

There are 2 dferent Willys, the basic which has AC as an option and doesn't offer the power group and the Willys W which comes with AC standard and opens up a few more options.  What got me thinking about it is a guy here at work apparently traded his focus for a black 2 door Wills over the weekend.  Very sharp, though I would still rather have it in graphite :)

16 hours ago, Stew said:

There are 2 dferent Willys, the basic which has AC as an option and doesn't offer the power group and the Willys W which comes with AC standard and opens up a few more options.  What got me thinking about it is a guy here at work apparently traded his focus for a black 2 door Wills over the weekend.  Very sharp, though I would still rather have it in graphite :)

Graphite is just awesome as a color on this vehicle.

• Agree 1