What Would You Buy Instead: BMW M4 Competition Edition

The fine folks over at C&D just got a piece on the new M4 Comp Pkg up-

C&D M4 Compt Pkg Test

Almost 90K for a coupe built off base sport/lux sedan bones seems steep, even for an admitted BMW fan such as myself. So let's see what you gents make of this scenario.

Base price is $74,845, but as-tested was $89,995. So let's use a range of $75,000-90,000. Rules are as follows-

1) Must be a 2 door performance coupe of some kind. 

2) Must be a new 2016-17 MY car on sale now.

3) MSRP MUST be AT LEAST $75,000, but NO MORE THAN $90,000.

BMW_M4CompetitionPack_04-L.jpg

Edited by Frisky Dingo

ATS-V Coupe with a few dealership "add-ons" like rust proofing and window etching... easiest decision I've made all day.  

But I think we need more wiggle room on the price here because the BMW is just overpriced and selling on it's badge.   The ATS-V absolutely maxed out with carbon fiber, Recaros, and everything is $74,250 and yet the ATS-V will hang with the M4 in nearly every performance metric. 

52 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

ATS-V Coupe with a few dealership "add-ons" like rust proofing and window etching... easiest decision I've made all day.  

But I think we need more wiggle room on the price here because the BMW is just overpriced and selling on it's badge.   The ATS-V absolutely maxed out with carbon fiber, Recaros, and everything is $74,250 and yet the ATS-V will hang with the M4 in nearly every performance metric. 

The ATS-V can easily be run up over 75K. Our dealer had an Auto Coupe that listed for 81K. MSRP.

I am NOT doing a Mercedes C63 S Coupe. I dont like it.

A  Vette also fits the price range, but Im typically not a Vette guy either. I dont want to keep this M4 competition edition and Im getting desperate to find a car...but then it hits me....

A car from BMW itself that I could go for....as much as it pains me to use ANY BMW in this type of thread...this BMW has grown on me quite a bit...

650i coupe please.

bmw-m6-coupe-23.jpg

• Agree 1

Guest Charles Murray

Charles Murray, my choice would be a Lexus RC F in molten pearl orange!  Can be optioned up to the required price, much more reliable than any German car. Benz, BMW, Audi, not worth my time whatsoever. 

This took a while for me to arrive at a decision. My initial instinct was an RS5. It's no longer around. Then I thought TT RS. Not out yet. Stripper 911. Breaks out of price bracket. Grand Sport? Not quite. Maybe just keep the M4? Not that, either. Cayman? Idk if I cold spend this kinda money on a 4 cyl. 

But wait!!! There's still this-

0009c272c882-cafd-48e4-a.jpg

And minus the wheels, it mirrors my build on Porsche's configurator- just under 87K all in. Classic H6, true manual, mid-engine goodness wrapped in a sleek sexy package build in low numbers? I'll take it.

Cayman GTS

• Agree 1

For me, Cayman would work as would a Lexus RC F.

We're I actually to spend that much money, it would be a Silverado quad cab diesel dually as a tow vehicle and a Mustang set up for SCCA A sedan on a trailer behind...but that does not fit the rules of the thread!

25 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I am NOT doing a Mercedes C63 S Coupe. I dont like it.

A  Vette also fits the price range, but Im typically not a Vette guy either. I dont want to keep this M4 competition edition and Im getting desperate to find a car...but then it hits me....

A car from BMW itself that I could go for....as much as it pains me to use ANY BMW in this type of thread...this BMW has grown on me quite a bit...

650i coupe please.

bmw-m6-coupe-23.jpg

I quite frankly dont like anything Benz builds.

I think for me it is coming down to the ATS-V or a Cayman GT4(starts at 84k). Maybe just to be different I'd go with the Cayman GT4 but really I think I'm way more in love with the ATS-V. I looked at an Aston Vantage V8 but they start at 103k... AMG GT starts at 111k. A big old Mercedes SL starts at 86k but I don't think I would be too satisfied with the "small" motor in a car like that. I thought I struck gold with a Jag F-Type but I would need the badass 5.0 R and that too starts over 100k.

4242C9C6-C6B9-4CDC-918A-82E7847022CC_zps

or

448099B4-D99D-47B3-9D4E-5AB5D9959D50_zps

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

ATS-V is certainly better looking than the Porsche.

You're insane.

I like the ATS-V, but next to the slinky, sexy Cayman, it looks like a boy racer's take on a personal luxury coupe. The sedan is much better. I think we also know which one will be more enjoyable to drive on a back road.

1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

You're insane.

I like the ATS-V, but next to the slinky, sexy Cayman, it looks like a boy racer's take on a personal luxury coupe. The sedan is much better. I think we also know which one will be more enjoyable to drive on a back road.

To each his own. I do like the looks of the ATS better, and I am not by any means a total GM fanboi.

Cayman is a wonderful car, but it leaves me just slightly cold. There are a LOT of other performance cars i woudl choose over a Cayman.  Everything from a Shelby GT 350 R to a BRZ with a performance package.

YMMV.

But yes, I would probably take the driving dynamics of the Cayman over the ATS!

But if I were to answer to actual question...GT350 R cannot be made expensive enough to buy for this thread...so my money would be on the RC-F

Challenger Hellcat, with every option except stripes (won't let you do black hood and stripes and the hood is more expensive haha) and including the extra cost Ivor pearly paint.  it is 74,850, I will add some Mopar floormats or something to bring it on up haha.  Hard choice though as I LOVE the ATS-V too. 

iris?COSY-EU-100-1713uLDEMTV1r9s%25WBXaBKFmfKSLC9gIQALMc6UhVkmGBfM9IW2VRkr72kRsd9pajwXGXQpMTV1rUpLg6OQCckPquBhkcNR2oospbAi0IOt1dn4dheMODNq%25AFEQ04lp0tyDfoX8wTLX7IPjzrxtZ8hNX4IHq5OX&&pov=fronthero&width=668&height=386&bkgrnd=&resp=jpg&cut=

Edited by Stew
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Stew said:

Challenger Hellcat, with every option except stripes (won't let you do black hood and stripes and the hood is more expensive haha) and including the extra cost Ivor pearly paint.  it is 74,850, I will add some Mopar floormats or something to bring it on up haha.  Hard choice though as I LOVE the ATS-V too. 

iris?COSY-EU-100-1713uLDEMTV1r9s%25WBXaBKFmfKSLC9gIQALMc6UhVkmGBfM9IW2VRkr72kRsd9pajwXGXQpMTV1rUpLg6OQCckPquBhkcNR2oospbAi0IOt1dn4dheMODNq%25AFEQ04lp0tyDfoX8wTLX7IPjzrxtZ8hNX4IHq5OX&&pov=fronthero&width=668&height=386&bkgrnd=&resp=jpg&cut=

Honestly, i would take this over the BMW

24 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

RC-F. Now there's something different. Bonus points for originality.

And I owe you an apology if I seemed to dis on the Caymen.  I was an SCCA member for years and sued to race (autocross) with the Porsche club. It is a really, really fantastic car.

I have come close to pulling the trigger on a used example or two myself....

I like hustling big cars though.  i could do some magical things with m old Caprice B4U haha. 

I honestly would be hard pressed between the Hellcat and the ATS-V though,  both have my heart for totally different reasons and all of them selfish :D

Edited by Stew

I think driving each one for 5 minutes would make you decide really quick.. small car or large car. If you're a large car person I don't think you'd want the ATS if a Hellcat is available.

OOOORRRRRR you'd want to move up a class to like an E Class Coupe or 6 Series(No current CTS Coupe...) But I don't think those are in your wheelhouse as they aren't AMG or M's.

44 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Agreed. Such a superior driver's car all around.

Will have to disagree with you both here.  I am going to stay with the hellcat...and I have been the traditional anti Chryco guy here at C and G for a long time...visually....I love the Hellcat!

3 minutes ago, Stew said:

I have driven both their little brothers and even picking between them I would be torn.  If I ever won the lottery I would have have to build a multi-acre garage to hold all the different vehicles I would own lol. 

If I ever won the lottery, ti would be a GTI or a WRX, and then i will travel the world.

52 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

@A Horse With No Name  Nah, it's all in good fun man.

@Stew I'll take the original M4 sans a few options and a different color over the Hellcat all day.

Same here. And for the reason ccap states...Superior drivers car.

And let me add its easier to make the M4 quicker in a straight line and run with a Hellcat than it is to make the Hellcat quicker in the turns with constant fade free braking and run an M4.

1 minute ago, FordCosworth said:

And let me add its easier to make the M4 quicker in a straight line and run with a Hellcat than it is to make the Hellcat quicker in the turns with constant fade free braking and run an M4.

Good thing i wouldn't be racing M4s.   For me it would be the joy of driving it on long sweeping roads for long distances in complete comfort with more than enough handling capabilit and power to keep a grin on my face.  In the end, is it not the smile the car produces and not the not the numbers that make you want it?  My Beetle is by no means the quickest or best best handling out there, yet I love driving it more everyday. 

17 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Will have to disagree with you both here.  I am going to stay with the hellcat...and I have been the traditional anti Chryco guy here at C and G for a long time...visually....I love the Hellcat!

If I ever won the lottery, ti would be a GTI or a WRX, and then i will travel the world.

Oh, there would definitely be a lot of trips in my future, but there would also be a nice 2 story cabin in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors for miles in any direction lol.  I would have quite a few 80s/90s cars.  (93 Cobray, 92 Daytona IROC, 92 Z28 5.0 TPI/manual, 92 Firbird GTA L98, 96 Impala SS, 95 T-bird SC, and that is just the cheaper models haha, 87 turbo TA, Syclone, 87 GNX.)

24 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

Yes. Much, much easier. An M4 on stock turbos with just bolt-ons and E85 tune would be sufficient. 

38 minutes ago, Stew said:

Oh, there would definitely be a lot of trips in my future, but there would also be a nice 2 story cabin in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors for miles in any direction lol.  I would have quite a few 80s/90s cars.  (93 Cobray, 92 Daytona IROC, 92 Z28 5.0 TPI/manual, 92 Firbird GTA L98, 96 Impala SS, 95 T-bird SC, and that is just the cheaper models haha, 87 turbo TA, Syclone, 87 GNX.)

Sounds like you are into my era of performance cars. 93 Cobra would be an awesome car, i wanted to find a decent 93 GT a few years back and clone an R cobra as a weekend toy.  I never got around to that....recession of 08 hit and then it got harder and harder to find decent unrwrecked and un rusted fox body Mustangs at decent prices.

Definitely love the 3rd gen F body also.

23 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Yes. Much, much easier. An M4 on stock turbos with just bolt-ons and E85 tune would be sufficient. 

Without a doubt....VW just released a GTI in Europe that outran the Hellcat around the ring.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a29835/watch-a-challenger-hellcat-get-creamed-by-a-volkswagen-golf/

Golf R, not GTI, Hellcat getting beat....

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/05/new-vw-golf-gti-clubsport-s-smashes-fwd.html

Nuremberg Ring story about the GTI and Hellcat.

A Hellcat goes for that much???!!!

I thought they topped out at $60 000 US or so.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « well golly gomer pyle »

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « challenger hellcat »

Take that sour Kraut German outta my face...give me some good 'ol American apple pie!

@A Horse With No Name

visually and audibly, the Hellcat is a sex kitten!

Edited by oldshurst442

3 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

GT350 R can't be priced high enough to break into this range. I tried, lol.

As did I!

16 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

A Hellcat goes for that much???!!!

I thought they topped out at $60 000 US or so.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « well golly gomer pyle »

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « challenger hellcat »

Take that sour Kraut German outta my face...give me some good 'ol American apple pie!

@A Horse With No Name

visually and audibly, the Hellcat is a sex kitten!

Made in Canada by a joint Italian/American venture on a platform that was designed by German engineers back in the day.

Your sex kitten says Eh, drinks Molsen and watches Toronto and Montreal play Hockey.

Just now, Stew said:

You are right, could only get it a bit over 68k including special paint and a car cover with the Shelby logo haha.  Now, it does mention to contact your dealer for accessories...................

These threads assume that we want to spend 75 grand fora new car.  75 grand will buy me a lot of things car wise, where I would spend my money is not in the new market.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

That seems odd because doesn't it start at like 65k? There isn't 10k in options for it???

No, sadly....

Shows how little real appeal the M4 has when we all try to buy an American (or American ish) pony car instead.

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

These threads assume that we want to spend 75 grand fora new car.  75 grand will buy me a lot of things car wise, where I would spend my money is not in the new market.

This is true.  i would not have a hellcat as i priced i haha.  Don't want the special paint, black hood, or the brass monkey wheels haha.  Same with the GT350, I would probably go for the regular GT350 myself, though nicely loaded. 

The Challenger would be Granite or Maximum Steel, of course haha (or that new gray they are offering next year which looks amazing)  and the GT350 would be Magnetic or Aveilanch Gray.

I like gray cars and i cannot lie lol. 

Just now, Stew said:

This is true.  i would not have a hellcat as i priced i haha.  Don't want the special paint, black hood, or the brass monkey wheels haha.  Same with the GT350, I would probably go for the regular GT350 myself, though nicely loaded. 

The Challenger would be Granite or Maximum Steel, of course haha (or that new gray they are offering next year which looks amazing)  and the GT350 would be Magnetic or Aveilanch Gray.

Nothing wrong with that. Bring me a Steel Cities Grey 70 Corvette and we can start our Grey cars only car show.

33 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

As did I!

Made in Canada by a joint Italian/American venture on a platform that was designed by German engineers back in the day.

Your sex kitten says Eh, drinks Molsen and watches Toronto and Montreal play Hockey.

What about the West coasters? :P

Its the Canaucks, and Heineken for me. ( yes, an import is my preference )

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Stew said:

Grey cars are the ish.

15 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Grey cars are the ish.

I will see you the GTI...the GTI is just amazing in Grey, as is the Type R.  That thing in grey just has the look, especially with the Tartan plaid upholstery.

37 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

What about the West coasters? :P

Its the Canaucks, and Heineken for me. ( yes, an import is my preference )

I love watching the Canaucks play....