Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

What Would You Buy Instead: Porsche 911 Carrera Edition

C&D recently did a test on the rarest of 911's. Not a GTx, or "Insert Random Special Edition Here", or even the new R. No, the rarest 911 of all is a stripper model. A near-base, non-S C2 w/ a 7MT. Turns out, it's still a damn fine car. Here's the story for those interested-

C&D 911 Carrera Instrumented Test

991-111.jpg

This car just conveniently happens to occupy a price bracket just above our previous entry, the M4 Comp Pkg. Base price is $90,450, as-tested was $96,650. We'll use a range of 90K up to 110K. Rules will be....

1) As always, must be a NEW 2016 or 2017 MY car on sale now.

2) Choice must be a 2 DR performance coupe or sports car of some kind. Any drive-type is fine.

3) MSRP must be at least $90,000 and cannot be more than $110,000

Enjoy.

Edited by Frisky Dingo

If I had the disposable income necessary for a 100 000 dollar car, this area of the enthusiast car spectrum would not be of interest to me.  Too small and too low for my driving tastes. Sure these kinds of  cars are sexy and scream out loud what boils down to: the essence of car enthusiasm full of lust and speed...but it aint what I prefer.

With that being said, I might as well just keep this choice.  This car might just be the best of its ilk...might as well just enjoy it!

991-111.jpg

But...a Vette or a Viper would also do...Z07 C7-R Edition and T/A respectively.

Corvette-Z06-C7.R-Edition3.jpg

smade-srt-vipe-2.jpg?w=577&h=384&crop=1

On 10/22/2016 at 5:23 PM, Cmicasa the Great said:

Z06 or Bust at that price range. That would be fully loaded at the top end of your price

14706981_10207385074374444_4155452200135776435_o.jpg

For a performance car, yeah...the Porsche is cool, but my money would go into the Z06 all day long.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Stew said:

2016 C63 Coupe, priced out to just over 93k. 

c63-amg-coupesvfsv-054_0.jpg?itok=K7mvEk

If we are buying Euro I would option up a Jag F type before I would buy this.

30 minutes ago, Stew said:

Haha, that was my main choice, a R, but even adding a nicer set of wheels put it out of the price range :(

If I ever get to the point I can afford an F type R, I can probably buy the wheels....but yes, F type FTW!

Ahhhh the AMG GT starts at 111k! 

Well I've always loves the F-Type R as well. It definitely isn't the best or fastest in this price range but it's the prettiest to me and nastiest sounding.

It would be so hard to pass up 650hp/tq in a Z06 though. Ideally, with this much coin I would buy a used ZR1 and then a base mustang GT or what not but that's not in the scenario..lol Or a GT350 and a "regular" vette even. 55k+55k.

I think I'd take a loaded up Z06 and a few sets of tires to go with it.

5A71FF08-3DA0-49BF-BF52-1756AE54DBA9_zps

Lookiing at that pic of the C6 Z06 in CCap's post... and talking about the long in the tooth, and boring stylng of the 911 sure has me thinking that the C6 GS-Z06 models could have continued on as a separate car for the Corvette line-Up.. no different that the Porsche bunch with a Cayman selling next to said 911.

Corvette C6 and C7.. :PWell WHY THE HELL NOT?:angry:

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Lookiing at that pic of the C6 Z06 in CCap's post... and talking about the long in the tooth, and boring stylng of the 911 sure has me thinking that the C6 GS-Z06 models could have continued on as a separate car for the Corvette line-Up.. no different that the Porsche bunch with a Cayman selling next to said 911.

Bring everything from C1 through C8 into production would be even better!

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Give me a C6 ZR1 with the C7 interior and I would be golden :D

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

lol I didn't even mean to post a C6.. I didn't even think about it when I got excited about how awesome this one looks.

Murdered out cars in black look fantastic, love this and the Lincoln in the other thread.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

AB-SO-LUTELY! As long as the owner is willing to wash it once a week and keep it looking clean, best color "combo" out there.

Change that to about once a day for people who live in Ohio like me and drive a lot of miles in a major city.  I obviously don't wash my car that often, but there are days I think that is what it would take.

Yeah I've owned a black car and in the right(wrong) weather and time of year every day is what it would take. Winter or the times of year when farmers are doing whatever to their fields and there's just a ton of dust in the air.. I would wash my car about every Sunday and it could have easily been twice a week to keep it looking how I wanted.

The C3 cars are really under rated. I like the 78 Pace car and the 1969-1972 Chrome bumper cars the best, but there is a lot in that era to love!

96-Chevy-Corvette-Grand-Sport-DV-10-LF-0

Would not kick a 96 Grand Sport out of the garage either.

68627-your-fantasy-fleet-low-midpriced-c

C5 Z06 is affordable even at my price range, and is a fantastic car in its own right.

General Motors Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson's Regal Turquoise 1958 Corvette
1962 Corvette Roadster

5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The C3 cars are really under rated. I like the 78 Pace car and the 1969-1972 Chrome bumper cars the best, but there is a lot in that era to love!

C3's after 1972 were craptastic.

And while Corvette was at the darkest point of it's existence, the 911 Turbo was paving the way for a new era of sports cars, and starting a legacy of dual-purpose sports cars that still exist today. And actually, is still the standard of the class it created.

2 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

C3's after 1972 were craptastic.

And while Corvette was at the darkest point of it's existence, the 911 Turbo was paving the way for a new era of sports cars, and starting a legacy of dual-purpose sports cars that still exist today. And actually, is still the standard of the class it created.

Depends on what you are buying it for.  They make a great weekend cruiser, I have known lots of satisfied C3 owners.

And 1970's Porsche have plenty of issues of their own.

Would still own a C7 Z06 over a 911

2 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

670x377image.jpg

981cb651f13c767c5ea1bc3d82069c5a.jpg

p0jtwrum1jkpm3z7zmmt.jpg

ca0816-260025_2.jpg

13969_7853f957b1_low_res.jpg

1976-porsche-936-matini1.jpg

1973_Porsche_917_CanAm_Spyder_021.jpg

Yeah, Idk, I think Porsche was hitting no shortage of home runs in the 70's.

And I would agree with you.  Check out the beautiful car appreciation thread and see how many air cooled 911's I posted.

I used to Flag sCCA races, and also the vintage races at Mid Ohio.  I am well acquainted with their accomplishments.