Ultimate Dream Garage: Predecessor Edition

Good acts are hard to follow. Especially in the auto business. Maybe more so in the auto business, actually. The steady march of technology is sometimes nullified by more stringent regulations, falling profits, a change in focus, and sometimes just as a result of straight up flubbing it.

So with that in mind, I ask you what your dream garage would look like if you were only able to use today's cars' immediate predecessors. The rules-

1) Production models only.

2) These are your only vehicles.

3) Maximum of 5 choices.

4) Any variation of that previous model is allowed, even if the exact trim was not offered again.

5) Your choice must be the predecessor of whatever is on sale TODAY. That means NO- skipping generations, using current models that are soon to be replaced, or using face lifts. They must be the most immediately recent offering before what is currently on sale.

6) I WILL allow models that have different names but are CLEAR forebears  in a lineage. Example- Gallardo to Huracan, 350Z to 370Z, 599 to F12, etc.

Enjoy!

Edited by Frisky Dingo

I tried hard to circumvent the rules on this one. I found it tough, but I found a way to weasel in a few questionable entries...(twas with Mopar and the muscle cars that I was stomped with...stupid Mitsubishi denied me of a classic Challenger and Shelby with a classic Charger)

We start with the first one:

2009 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG.

I LOVE THIS CAR. I HAD TO HAVE IT. Problem is, 2 generations have passed....but...we are still in 2016 and the new gen just got on the market while the previous gen technically is still available making the 2009 questionably legit...tough noogies Frisky...

Image result for w211 18 wheels

The second weasel car:

Chevrolet SS' cousin, the Pontiac G8 GXP Firehawk is the choice...we even jump to a different brand with this one, a dead brand at that, but technically, the Chevy SS predecessor is the Pontiac G8...Australia says so...

Suck it Frisky!!!

Image result for red pontiac g8 gxp firehawk

I got inspiration from the MOPAR  scenario where I was trying to choose predecessors from a different era when choosing this next one.

Acura NSX. Larger displacement or original motor. I dont care. But it has to be the one with the pop-up headlights.

Image result for acura nsx

I wanted Aston Martin, but its near impossible to figure out which car replaced what since they are all practically from the same platform and since I already done my con jobs, I figured Id give it rest, so another Mercedes Benz car was chosen.

2010 CLS 63 AMG

Image result for 2010 mercedes benz cls 63 amg orange

I soooo wanted a MOPAR...But a VIPER is not my style. I love it....but still...

So what else could I choose that is pure MOPAR muscle?

I GOT IT!!!!

That lovely V10 was originally a truck engine...why not choose the truck with THAT engine under the hood. But the VIPERIZED version will have to do. Yeah yeah...Trucks are not my style either. Look at the pic. Isnt that a purty picture?

Now you know why I chose the MOPAR truck...

Image result for 2007 dodge ram 8.3 v10 srt 10

i am going to steal a few of these.

The NSX is a rare color and I have always wanted one, so I will choose this.

Image result for acura nsx

audi-rs4-rs4-avant-estate-petrol_1974613

Audi would be a no brainer.  Probably one of my favorite cars in everything you all have posted.

4742d1268712275-2006-unlimited-rubicon-0

Wrangler Rubicon.  I have actually thought about pulling the trigger on one of these used to replace the Jetta.  One used to park next to one of my buildings on Campus, this is a fantastic real world example of a vehicle I would love to own.

Roadsters: The Jdm Way

NC Miata, modified for autocross and high performance driving events.

6 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

i am going to steal a few of these.

The NSX is a rare color and I have always wanted one, so I will choose this.

Audi would be a no brainer.  Probably one of my favorite cars in everything you all have posted.

Wrangler Rubicon.  I have actually thought about pulling the trigger on one of these used to replace the Jetta.  One used to park next to one of my buildings on Campus, this is a fantastic real world example of a vehicle I would love to own.

NC Miata, modified for autocross and high performance driving events.

You still have one choice left!!

4 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Not sure about letting that 458 fly. I briefly considered using the Speciale, but wanted to go for clear-cut, different models.

Why not?  The new one is 488. 458 is the predecessor.

Just now, ykX said:

Why not?  The new one is 488. 458 is the predecessor.

Because they share so much. Basic chassis and interior, it's mostly a replacement of the guts. It's somewhat of a gray area. There is a gulf between the F430 and 458, while only a stream between the 458 and 488.

2 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I'll let it count, since it did experience a name change. It's just borderline. I wanted more distinction on my list.

The Boss is a great choice, too. 

Indeed!

37 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Not sure about letting that 458 fly. I briefly considered using the Speciale, but wanted to go for clear-cut, different models.

If anything the CTS-V Wagon shouldn't count as they don't make a 2017 or 2016 wagon.

What's the Boss 302 a predecessor of? GT350?

Just now, ccap41 said:

If anything the CTS-V Wagon shouldn't count as they don't make a 2017 or 2016 wagon.

What's the Boss 302 a predecessor of? GT350?

On 10/28/2016 at 6:33 PM, Frisky Dingo said:

Good acts are hard to follow. Especially in the auto business. Maybe more so in the auto business, actually. The steady march of technology is sometimes nullified by more stringent regulations, falling profits, a change in focus, and sometimes just as a result of straight up flubbing it.

So with that in mind, I ask you what your dream garage would look like if you were only able to use today's cars' immediate predecessors. The rules-

1) Production models only.

2) These are your only vehicles.

3) Maximum of 5 choices.

4) Any variation of that previous model is allowed, even if the exact trim was not offered again.

5) Your choice must be the predecessor of whatever is on sale TODAY. That means NO- skipping generations, using current models that are soon to be replaced, or using face lifts. They must be the most immediately recent offering before what is currently on sale.

6) I WILL allow models that have different names but are CLEAR forebears  in a lineage. Example- Gallardo to Huracan, 350Z to 370Z, 599 to F12, etc.

Enjoy!

See #4.

5 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Yes.

Also, holy crap on a stick, Boss 302's have dipped into the 20's!!

Depreciation is a wonderful thing. The fabulous 99-04 Mustangs are probably the best buy right now, as there is a good supply of clean used cars available, and prices are stupid cheap.  Like the older Fox bodies, these will go up, especially special editions.

Edited by A Horse With No Name
capitalization

13 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Depreciation is a wonderful thing. The fabulous 99-04 Mustangs are probably the best buy right now, as there is a good supply of clean used cars available, and prices are stupid cheap.  Like the older Fox bodies, these will go up, especially special editions.

I would love to have even a standard  New Edge GT to just cruise in and drive to work now and again. Such a good body style, I think it will continue to age very well. They weren't fast, they handle sloppily, and the interior is awful, but damn if they don't look great, are cheap to build and mod, sound great, and have endless potential. 

12 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I would love to have even a standard  New Edge GT to just cruise in and drive to work now and again. Such a good body style, I think it will continue to age very well. They weren't fast, they handle sloppily, and the interior is awful, but damn if they don't look great, are cheap to build and mod, sound great, and have endless potential. 

One day I'll have one as a second, toy car.. I love that that feels like the last generation of just a basic V8 car. Not much electronic going on inside, it's small, just a simple car.

2 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Nice list, ccap. A little one-dimensional, but nice.

One-Dimensional? I have a couple of daily drivers in there.. I really wanted a 458 and that would have superseded the GT probably but I just like the rarity of the GT and thought it would be cool to have both of the gnarly pony cars of the same era.  I could have easily chosen faster and better all around cars...

59 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

They are the last "modern and futuristic"  Mustang built.  When you consider that the Mustang was a futuristic car in a way when it was introduced in 1964, to me this car is an important part of the Mustang design heritage.

The sloppy handling is part of the fun, one of my friends was the long term owner of a Mach 1 red manual car that we would beat on like a rented mule at local auto crosses. Never the fastest time of the day car, but Jesus sweet mother of Mary what a sweet car.

And the auditory sounds of the OHC Ford V8 are near Ferrari 458 levels of wonderful.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

One day I'll have one as a second, toy car.. I love that that feels like the last generation of just a basic V8 car. Not much electronic going on inside, it's small, just a simple car.

One-Dimensional? I have a couple of daily drivers in there.. I really wanted a 458 and that would have superseded the GT probably but I just like the rarity of the GT and thought it would be cool to have both of the gnarly pony cars of the same era.  I could have easily chosen faster and better all around cars...

I mean in the sense that they are all large displacement V8's. And in cars of roughly the same purpose/characteristic.

22 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

They are the last "modern and futuristic"  Mustang built.  When you consider that the Mustang was a futuristic car in a way when it was introduced in 1964, to me this car is an important part of the Mustang design heritage.

The sloppy handling is part of the fun, one of my friends was the long term owner of a Mach 1 red manual car that we would beat on like a rented mule at local auto crosses. Never the fastest time of the day car, but Jesus sweet mother of Mary what a sweet car.

And the auditory sounds of the OHC Ford V8 are near Ferrari 458 levels of wonderful.

I just looked at prices on New Edges, and they are insane. No shortage of places asking teens for nicer, decent-mile cars. No way I'd pay that. These cars are 12 years old now at best, I'd maybe 10 grand for a really nice one. Maybe.

And I love the Ford GT. I'd take it over most Ferraris. It just happened to fall into a pool that included some of absolute favorite creations to have come from Maranello- the 599 GTO and 458 Speciale.

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I just looked at prices on New Edges, and they are insane. No shortage of places asking teens for nicer, decent-mile cars. No way I'd pay that. These cars are 12 years old now at best, I'd maybe 10 grand for a really nice one. Maybe.

I found several cheaper but I had to spend a good bit of time looking. there are bargains out there in this group of cars. One of the cars was a 60,000 miles southern automatic GT for like six grand.....

Sadly, performance cars of any type seem to have gone up in price.